Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, they do support tethering. I ended up going down to ask and they have to enable it on your account first.

Ah whoops, last time we were talking about iPhones, so I didn't notice that you said Docomo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What kind of roaming charges am I looking at for taking my docomo phone to the US?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Ah whoops, last time we were talking about iPhones, so I didn't notice that you said Docomo

My friend is running an unlocked iPhone on docomo now (seems to be a pretty new thing, the employees at the store were clueless about it and were asking him to take out the battery when he was getting it set up :v:), pretty sure he can tether. He got the 6,000 yen/7GB plan though, so I don't think he does it frequently.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Pompous Rhombus posted:

He got the 6,000 yen/7GB plan though, so I don't think he does it frequently.

You guys have Xi down there? (The iPhone supports Xi?)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

tarepanda posted:

You guys have Xi down there? (The iPhone supports Xi?)

Xi = LTE = iPhone doesn't support it

There was a rumor of Docomo launching an LTE iPhone this summer, but it was quickly shot down.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Then it doesn't really make sense to be paying for a Xi plan when you never use it...

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I was under the impression that using a non-docomo phone on a non-Xi plan gets you automatically hit with a tethering charge, making Xi plan cheaper even if you don't have a 4G phone.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently my iPhone has been constantly trying to connect me to Softbank Wifi spots. The login screen keeps appearing whenever I get near one, and if I stand in the same area it comes up every time I change apps. It's a bloody nusiance to have to cancel it out every time it happens, as I can't use them anyway on AU. This only started to happen in the past few weeks, anyone know how to disable it? I've checked the wifi settings when I'm in the range but it always says that I'm not connected so I can't disconnect/forget the connection.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Should be able to go into your Wifi Networks -> Choose a network -> "Forget" this network next time it comes up. Then also turn off "ask to join networks" and you shouldn't be prompted for anything.

edit: whoops i didn't read closely did I. Are you using the softbank profile or something? Settings -> General -> Profile. Mine says "au WiFi SPOT" since I downloaded the au one. Are you using a softbank one?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I don't seem to have a profile option in my general settings. I never downloaded the AU Wifi spot thing since I don't really see how it would be necessary and I don't want the phone to constantly be connecting and disconnecting as I walk through the streets. I'd be willing to download it if it would somehow override this Softbank poo poo, I'm constantly being interrupted by their stupid login page.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Just turn off wifi when you don't need it. Make it easy by jailbreaking and using SBSettings.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Has anyone tried CyanogenMod on a Docomo phone? I'm curious about it and would like to try it out, but I don't want to screw up my data charges or anything like I've heard has happened to people in the past.

It would also be nice to be able to turn off that shutter sound so that people don't look at me like I'm a terrorist every time I take a picture somewhere.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Madd0g11 posted:

Just turn off wifi when you don't need it. Make it easy by jailbreaking and using SBSettings.

Having used iPhones in America and Japan for the past two and a half years, keeping wifi on when you're not in one spot and connected both drains the battery a little faster and makes 3G connections slower because it's always trying to find wifi first. Just turn it off when not in use.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I use wifi at my office and at my home, I don't really want to have to remember to constantly turn it on and off. I don't care about battery drain or whatever, I just want these stupid Softbank login screens to go away.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So just a follow up on my "finding affordable 3g internet access in Japan" adventure, I went to Costco today and got a b-mobile wifi 3g router (2man + 1 month/1 gigabyte included), and holy poo poo this owns. It even uses Docomo's network but it's literally half the price. One year of pakehoudai is only 6man which is about half of what Docomo would charge, and I don't have to rely on a lovely Android handset + PDAnet anymore.

In conclusion I am cancelling my Docomo account on Monday.

Edit: it's all prepaid too so none of that "cancelling your contract" charge crap either. Setup took literally 45 seconds and they even had English instructions.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 4, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Hmm... on the one hand, you can take it anywhere... on the other, it's not much cheaper than a rehular, much faster internet connection.

How large is it?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Smaller than an iPhone.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I looked on amazon and there are some b-mobile sim cards at a year for 25000... are those what the router takes?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This is my router. I bought a package at Costco that included the router and the one month/1gb teikaku card so I can just call them up and recharge the card I currently have, which is one year pakehodai for 29800 yen.

Amazon looks to be about 2000 yen cheaper for the actual U300 card so that's probably a good place to buy as well.

Edit: I was mistakenly looking at the iOS-device cards earlier, looks like generic smartphone SIMs are cheaper, so it actually works out to closer to a quarter or so of what I currently pay a year. This page talks about what I would do (router + U300) if I didn't already have a card, although that specific campaign ended last year.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 5, 2012

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
I thought this thread was actually going to be about Galapagos phones (flip phones) and now I am kind of disappointed.

無料携帯着せ替えサイト、教えてくれ!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Even Japanese manufacturers aren't really making them anymore.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
So the latest iPhone update adds Japanese support for Siri. Seems to be pretty good, she can more or less understand almost everything I say to her. One annoying thing is that one of my contact's name is "Nei", so when I want to say ねぇ、 it'll put her name in the middle of the sentence.

Anyone know some funny things to say to her? She'll respond to a few odd statements if you say things like 好きだ、 but overall she seems less fun to mess around with than the English version.

I'm not a fan of where they put the voice dictation on the keypad-style Japanese keyboard, it uses up half of the language button and is very easy to hit when you want to switch languages.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 9, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Your encoding is making your Japanese gibberish here. :(

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Since Samsung released the ICS update for the Galaxy S2... what's the deal with using Samsung Kies to update Docomo phones? Will it break anything?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
So just confirming then, there's no tethering with a SoftBank iphone 4S without jailbreaking it?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Nope, and when you do so you run the risk of getting hit with a huge bill if SB ever finds out what you're doing.

I actually know someone who bought the SB Wifi thing and just turned the data off of his iPhone so it's constantly on wifi. I guess with the nonexistant data usage, it ended up being slightly cheaper to have the two devices instead of just using the iPhone for data, with the bonus of having full wifi capability.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Fuckers. Oh well, thanks for clearing that up.

What is the "wifi thing" you speak of? That's somehting else I was wondering--the website says that they can give you a wifi router for free, but that appears to be one that connects to your home broadband connection, presumably so that when you're downloading cat macros and all that inside your house, you're using your own existing internet connection instead of clogging up the 3G network.

But last weekend when a friend of mine got a 4S (I went to the store with her), she called me over and asked if she needed "some wifi thing that lets you use wifi everywhere". Is that what you're talking about? Can you give me a product/service name so I can go look for more info about it?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
There are mobile wifi routers that give you an internet connection through 3G, WiMax, or Xi, so I suppose that's what he's talking about.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sheep posted:

So just a follow up on my "finding affordable 3g internet access in Japan" adventure, I went to Costco today and got a b-mobile wifi 3g router (2man + 1 month/1 gigabyte included), and holy poo poo this owns. It even uses Docomo's network but it's literally half the price. One year of pakehoudai is only 6man which is about half of what Docomo would charge, and I don't have to rely on a lovely Android handset + PDAnet anymore.

In conclusion I am cancelling my Docomo account on Monday.

Edit: it's all prepaid too so none of that "cancelling your contract" charge crap either. Setup took literally 45 seconds and they even had English instructions.

Whoa, nice!

tarepanda posted:

It would also be nice to be able to turn off that shutter sound so that people don't look at me like I'm a terrorist every time I take a picture somewhere.

My friend has a US iPhone 4S on Docomo and he used the lack of shutter sound to brazenly take some photos of an unsuspecting yankee wearing a bedazzled Mickey Mouse shirt on the train. The guy was apparently hollering at his friends down the car about how he boned his girlfriend that weekend.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Whoa, nice!

I hosed up my pricing in that post, it's actually 2.9man, so it's even cheaper than previously thought. Docomo would have to charge me a 7.5man cancellation fee on my 2.5 year old phone for me to take a loss in long run here. It's insane how much cheaper b-mobile is (2man router + 3man/year vs 5man handset + 11man/year).

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My friend has a US iPhone 4S on Docomo

Details, please! I'm bringing over a US iPhone 4 next week and would love to not need to buy a new device.

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
So I was a big dumb gorilla and didn't even take into account that my Softbank Iphone 4 wouldn't work in the United States. Now I have two weeks to sell my Iphone. What's the best way to go about this.

I was thinking of selling it for 3.5 man seeing as how its only 6 months old, flawless, and with complete packaging. Is this a fair price?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I wonder when Docomo will roll out ICS for the GS2...

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I don't know if this topic is appropriate for the phone thread, since I'm not talking about a phone, but I figured better to try here first than clogging up the main Japan thread. I just found out I'll be losing internet in a week and I don't know when I'll be getting it back, so I'm thinking of trying to get some kind of internet dongle for my laptop that I can use for a couple weeks to get by. Is it possible to get that sort of thing without a contract, or with a very cheap contract? It's not a big deal if it sucks, as long as I can just check e-mail and chat with friends back home, preferably without having to spend like 3man on it. I'm only in Japan for another 6 months, so if a contract is necessary, I'd almost certainly have to pay the cancellation fee on it.

Any advice on what to get and where would be greatly appreciated. Not having internet makes me very sad. (Yes, I have problems.)

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

NeekBerm posted:

So I was a big dumb gorilla and didn't even take into account that my Softbank Iphone 4 wouldn't work in the United States. Now I have two weeks to sell my Iphone. What's the best way to go about this.

I was thinking of selling it for 3.5 man seeing as how its only 6 months old, flawless, and with complete packaging. Is this a fair price?

Want to trade? I'm arriving later this week with a US (AT&T) iPhone 4 and would be happy with a Softbank phone.

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice

snagger posted:

Want to trade? I'm arriving later this week with a US (AT&T) iPhone 4 and would be happy with a Softbank phone.

Sure! PM sent.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

seorin posted:

Any advice on what to get and where would be greatly appreciated. Not having internet makes me very sad. (Yes, I have problems.)

I'm starting to sound like a b-mobile shill in this thread but they have exactly what you want. The Doccica U300 is a USB Docomo FOMA 3G/hotspot connector that includes 10 months of unlimited access for 32800 yen. Webpage is here.

nb I haven't read the fine print for the Doccica but it looks right up your alley. Also I reckon it requires some Japanese software to make it go so all the usual caveats apply there.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 19, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Thanks for the link! That is indeed what I was looking for. :)

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
I'll be heading over to Japan in about 3 weeks to start working there. I've been looking at getting an iPhone as my mobile while I'm there. I'm just wondering that, after the end of my work contract, will my Japanese iPhone be able to be used in Australia?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Crosspost from Japan Megathread:

Does anyone have any experience with wifi-only services in Japan? I have someone who comes to Japan once a month or so on business, which isn't enough to justify the expense of a mobile-wifi dongle, but wants to use wifi.

Boingo Asia Pacific seems to have a decent service, with just shy of 700 hotspots in Tokyo for 1,000 yen a month, but I was wondering if anyone knew of similar services which might be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Try Wi2:
http://300.wi2.co.jp/

380 yen/month, no contract start/termination fees, ~13000 wifi spots nationwide. This is the company that provides a lot of (but not all?) the wifi available for free to Softbank and KDDI users. So if your friend sees a Softbank Wifi, au Wifi, or Yahoo BB sticker and pays for Wi2, he'll probably be able to use the access point.

• Locked thread