Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pie.rat
Jul 1, 2007

C45H74O10
I'm moving to Sapporo for one year starting in early May, and I'd like to have a phone so that I can use maps and do some texting. I don't expect that I'll have much need for actual phone service. I'm really not picky about phones in general and I currently use like 25 Mb of data per month on my HTC One V because I just use wifi.
From my (lovely) research it looks like Japan has a lot of weirdness with two year contracts and so my options are probably somewhat limited. Does anyone have advice on carriers or plans that I should be looking into? Should I be trying to bring my current phone a different phone with me (:canada:)? Should I just avoid this whole mess and use my iPod touch and wifi to get by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pie.rat
Jul 1, 2007

C45H74O10

Kenishi posted:

The thing to remember is that the main thing you need to worry about on the contracts is that if your phone isn't paid off by the time you leave, you'll be paying it off when you cancel the contract. I know that Docomo will let you get a contract and pay the phone off in a year (I'm doing it). There will likely be a minor cancellation fee too, about 60-90USD as well. You can probably get contracts else where too. Just don't tell them you'll be leaving in a year.

I would definitely try and get a plane of some sort though. Wifi isn't everywhere and it'll be annoying to try and contact people with a wifi-only device.

Stringent posted:

Get an unlocked phone and do that. I got a friend here using it now and it's quite adequate.

Hm, thanks for the clarification and the insight. I really appreciate it! :)

• Locked thread