Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I have an iphone app that pretends its some other softbank phone when connecting to the web, so using the Japanese mobile internet is possible on the iphone at least.

Do you guys actually use 1-seg? Maybe its because I live in the inaka and only get 2 channels, but I almost never used it when I had my old phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Rekka posted:

What app is that?

The aptly named GalapaBrowser.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Rekka posted:

Oh man, awesome. If this is going to allow me to access all the cool imode coupon sites that didn't release an app I'm going to be so happy. Also McDonalds coupons. Hell yeah.

Actually, McDonalds has an app now.

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

Emoji stuff

14 is a kadomatsu.
"A kadomatsu (門松?, literally "gate pine") is a traditional Japanese decoration of the New Year placed in pairs in front of homes to welcome ancestral spirits or kami of the harvest."

17 looks like the Paulownia Seal to me.

18 is the ioriten.
"The part alternation mark 〽 (庵点 ioriten or 歌記号 utakigō) is used to indicate the beginning of a song, or the beginning of the next player's part. It was most common in Noh chanting books and Renga (linked verse)."

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of the iPhone, it looks like it is finally getting early earthquake warnings in iOS 5:

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/21/ios-5-includes-early-earthquake-warning-notifications-for-japanese-iphone-users/

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Every time I use an Android, I thank god that I had the good sense to go with the iPhone.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I have apps from both my American and Japanese iTunes accounts on my iPhone.

However, there are two caveats:
1. You can only download updates for the account your are currently logged in to, so it can be annoying to keep everything updated.
2. You can't use the new Automatic Download feature without locking your device to a particular iTunes account for 90 days.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Bakanogami posted:

Just got a verizon 4S in the states, but I'm applying for JET soon, and I'm curious; if I were to get in and move over there, would there be any way to get the phone I have working on au or softbank instead of having to buy a whole new phone or pay stupid amounts for roaming?

This is all anecdotal, but I've heard that bringing outside phones to a Japanese network is either impossible, or such a huge pain in the rear end that it isn't worth it.

I wouldn't worry about it though, iPhones are dirt cheap over here if you sign up for a 2-year contract.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Rekka posted:

You can't use the iCloud music function (iTunes match) in Japan yet, can you?!

I bet you can if you have a US iTunes account.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I got a carrier update on my softbank iPhone the other day. It said it just added free access to more public wifi spots though.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of iPhones, has anyone on Softbank had their SMS ringtones messed up lately? Mine sound like it is playing the ringtone a bunch of times in rapid succession and cutting itself off. Vibrator goes crazy too.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

My understanding is that SoftBank specifically excludes Apple products from its SIM-only plans. Your other options are b-mobile/Aeon or docomo's Xi service.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

While it is technically possible, unless you've made a special effort in advance to preserve an unlockable baseband, the answer is no, it will only work on SoftBank. (If you don't know what that means, then the answer is definitely no, it will only work in SoftBank.) The hardware is identical, but they are jerks and will refuse to unlock your phone for use on other networks even after you've paid it off.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I was under the impression that using a non-docomo phone on a non-Xi plan gets you automatically hit with a tethering charge, making Xi plan cheaper even if you don't have a 4G phone.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Last time I checked, Softbank wouldn't unlock an iPhone under any circumstance. I don't know about AU.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Hopefully this will motivate Softbank to get off its rear end and implement actual push email instead of that screen-blocking "You got a mail." kludge they have now.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

How do you like the iPhone on au? My contract ends right about when the new iPhone is supposed to come out, so I am thinking about ditching Softbank for them.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the informative post!

Yeah, I live in Tottori, so we will probably get platinum band upgrades about the same time as the Ogasawara islands.

Hopefully the timing works out.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

And I think wi-fi enabled Softbank phones should now have free access to Softbank wi-fi spots, which is a definite advantage considering that they're the only wi-fi spots I ever see.

They do, but I don't know if I would call them an advantage. It gets annoying real quick when you are walking around town and the Softbank wifi login screen keeps popping up while you are trying to look at a map or type an email.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Yeah, au has the same thing, au WiFi. Luckily with au we don't have the login prompt, it just connects.
They're apparently working to improve the silly "iPhone thinks it's connected but it's not" thing but I wonder how much they can really fix since iPhone.

Looks like it will improve on the OS-level as well.

harperdc posted:

And this is why I turn the wifi on my iPhone on and off (I have a wireless router at home).

Word. Having a quick wifi toggle is pretty much the only reason I jailbreak anymore.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

If anyone's interested, Softbank and au are both starting their iPhone 5 preorders today at 4 p.m. Haven't seen anything about plans or prices yet.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of which, is anyone in here actually using an unlocked phone on Docomo? I'm interested in knowing if and how the docomo.ne.jp email addresses work on a non-Docomo phone.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

If you add the area you are in it will usually give better results (ex. Starbucks Shibuya).

People reading this should also be aware that while Mapfan is great for turn by turn, it doesn't do public transit at all.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

"Why?" is the exact same thing I thought when I saw this on the news last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

No carrier in Japan (or Apple for that matter) will sell you an unlocked iPhone, nor will they unlock it when your contract is over.

If you buy one in Europe, you may be able to use it Docomo or one of their MVNOs, but there is a chance it will only be able to do 3G.

Supposedly unlocked iPhones work great on Softbank, but last I heard they will not sell you a SIM to use in an iPhone they didn't sell themselves, so it's kind of a moot point.

• Locked thread