Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lololol you have a lot to learn about Japan if you don't recognize onigiri, curry or a post office.

17, 18 don't think about it too hard. Somewhere, someone, knows how to use this. If you don't know now, then you'll never need to know.
23 is oden y'all

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm a super Japanese culture genius and I have no idea :japan:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Strutted into Softbank yesterday to get a prepaid for my dad's visit. The website shows 7 different models but the shop I went into had 2. The 821SC in black or white for ¥3000ish, and a waterproof 740SCesque one with more colors for ¥6000ish.
At that shop, at least, they don't have prepaids in stock, but they ordered a white cheapie for me and it'll come in 2-3 days later (probably this Saturday). I then get a SIM card for ¥2500ish, and refill credits as I go along. They'll need an ID like a gaijin card or driver's license.

If it sits unused for a year, the SIM card gets deactivated and I'll have to go into the shop to get a new one.

Thanks for all the advice on prepaid (here and in the JAPAN thread.) I hope my dad doesn't drop it in the toilet!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If it's just a week, I'd just pay for roaming and try to keep usage down.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lord oh lordy I went to Docomo today and they had an Aquos with a 3D camera and a 3D screen. It had Katamari Damacy pre-installed which should be amazing if you can get used to the controls.
My husband chose a less fancy Aquos, probably because it was the smallest of the smartphones. It has a wireless charger which is kind of spooky.
We tried the voice recognition but so far it only works for Japanese. (EX "Sgt. Pepper" became "saikin dekita.") If there's an English setting we'll find it, but English pronounciation is so variable we're not expecting too much.

On the other hand, I looked up AT&T prepaid plans for my US trip and everything was ugly and stupid. Just gonna ask Softbank if they have a roaming special rate, or if a foreign SIM will work in my model. I'll suck it up for a short vacation but 3 weeks is too long to pay regular roaming.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't have a smartphone anyway, just wanna txt friends and then call them when I get lost on the way to their house. Will check into T Mobile for SIM cards, thx.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

DMOZ- you can use my Softbank prepaid with ¥2000+ credit on it. It calls and texts but has no camera. ¥2000 and a promise to return it when you're done is all I need.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Does anyone have a Softbank 101SH or 007SH?
http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/smartphone/product/101sh/
http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/smartphone/product/007sh/

I like the idea of a Smartphone with a keypad. And I need my phone to be turquoise, always and forever.

PS. What are your experiences using Smartphones abroad? Are the roaming charges crazy and/or can I use it on a wireless internet hookup?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Traveling made me want a phone with Wifi. I love my clapper but I think it's time to upgrade to a Smartphone. Softbank Pantone 5?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tethering isn't an issue for me, I don't have or want a laptop. iPhones are cool but I'm from Mountain View, California, I want to support my ~local business~ by using Android.
They still had Pantone 5 and it they have a deal on it through January, but I asked the staff what happened to the smartphones with keyboards and she brought this from the back room. The monthly price was the same as Pantone, and the screen is bigger...

I'm regretting getting pink instead of white (no turquouise :(), but I'm not regretting this keyboard!
http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/smartphone/product/005sh/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not the newest, but I'm satisfied with it. Already got my nyan cat screen lock :nyan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Very unlikely. You can get a prepaid phone from Softbank that you just top up with credits at a Softbank store, or get a card at a convenience store. Even that took a full application and wait time to get, though. Japan lives on text messages, you can get unlimited text/sms for about 300 yen/month.

I can lend you my prepaid, that'll at least hold you until you find a SIM/data option. j laney at g mail dot com

• Locked thread