Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello, I'm another tourist coming over to Japan for 18 days. I have a unlocked iphone 3GS and unfortunately, the unlimited data roaming package for me is around 1680 yen /Day.

Looking at http://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/price/ rates, it seems that data prices can really sky rocket unless I am willing to pay the "data capped" charge of 27,000 yen. If it's that much, I might as well just bribe a local for a prepaid or just get my data roaming package :wtc:

My question is, if incoming calls are free, and costs S! Mail (MMS) 1packet (128byte) [sending/retrieving] ¥1 how much am I actually paying on average for a domestic message? The phone is actually for emergencies and contacting GOOOOOONS in my great goongrilmage across Japan.

Looking at another website, http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/simrent.html the rates seem to be a lot more attractive and I am willing to get a pocket wifi device and use the as much as I can with another goon friend of mine during the trip. Yes I have to spend more, but is this the best rate I can get? Use a softbank for a dumb phone number and use wifi for internet/facebook/SA/etc.

Another option is http://h50146.www5.hp.com/products/portables/mobilebroadband/wifi/product.html. Is it only 2940 yen for a 30 day period? I do have one of those mifi devices unlocked I think and If any Osaka goon can help me out that would be terrific :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

On the other hand, I looked up AT&T prepaid plans for my US trip and everything was ugly and stupid. Just gonna ask Softbank if they have a roaming special rate, or if a foreign SIM will work in my model. I'll suck it up for a short vacation but 3 weeks is too long to pay regular roaming.

I recently did a 3 week trans ammmmerrrrika trip and did a bit of browsing too. The best mobile internet package is to buy a t mobile hotspot and their one month pre paid. For 40 bucks 5gb. Then buy a sim card with 1200 minutes/text for 25 dollars. So easy face book updates by text too! Dont have that in hong kong :( At and t is ridiculously retarded and sometimes their sim is incompatible with sone 3G phones. The stores won't even let you demo a sim card to see if everything works. JUST GOT TO TAKE A CHANCE! Dumbass.

Two set backs, buying the hotspot device (its unlocked at least), and t mobile while cheap, it does suck for the smaller cities. Phoenix airport? Nope. 2 hours off Chicago? Nope. Monterey bay? Nope. In a free way?

But who cares, cant get cell reception in subways and underground any ways :smug: At least there are lots of wifi spots you can get easily in the states unlike Japan :smith:

caberham fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 16, 2011

• Locked thread