Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Bakanogami posted:

Just got a verizon 4S in the states, but I'm applying for JET soon, and I'm curious; if I were to get in and move over there, would there be any way to get the phone I have working on au or softbank instead of having to buy a whole new phone or pay stupid amounts for roaming?

Verizon and Sprint will unlock your GSM band so you can stick whatever sim you want in there from "roaming" on GSM. Just happen to roam permanently on Softbank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

zmcnulty posted:

Keitai Watch has a quick review up:
http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/docs/review/20111014_483887.html

They basically reach the same conclusion -- no big change in data throughput (despite theoretical maximums), but latency is definitely better on KDDI. Worth noting that he compared au iPhone 4S with Softbank iPhone 4 so it wasn't 1:1. Not sure it matters.

KDDI isn't 100% up to speed with the iPhone though. No iMessage support, no FaceTime, no visual voicemail, MMS support sucks (only checks @ezweb.ne.jp every 15 minutes), no au Wifi support.

4 vs 4s defeats the purpose of the 4s having its magic antennas and being twice as fast on GSM. Also I can't believe AU launched a half assed iOS device. SoftBank doesn't do visual voicemail unless you pay extra but everything else works fine.

Glad to hear your finally upgrading.

ProTip: if your cool like carfax, dtb, or me and have both and iPhone and iPad set your iMessages caller ID to your email so you can get messages pushed across all devices. Otherwise iPads don't get messages sent to phone numbers. They need to unify devices belonging to one person with the next update so the phone number goes to everything I own too.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Just turn off wifi when you don't need it. Make it easy by jailbreaking and using SBSettings.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Op should be updated with the B Mobile sims for visitors.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Kenishi posted:

I wonder if Apple Japan is given a lot of leeway to make the Japan localization how they want. It could explain why the localization has been so slow.

They got their data from increment p corporation which seems to have pretty decent map data but mostly for streets and driving, but not public transit (subways have no exit numbers). When comparing iOS 6 maps to the sample increment p maps it was clear that apple must have bought the ghetto maps from 10 years ago or some incomplete poo poo. they done hosed up. Google up increment p to check it out.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

tarepanda posted:

Heads are going to roll here. I wonder if the Japanese providers will try to prevent the rollout of iOS 6 since it's obviously going to suck rear end.

Has it already rolled out here?

I wonder if this would have happened under Jobs.

People are getting their iPhone 5s from today. I was using my friends to check out maps. Also iOS 6 went live already so anyone who jumped on it right away better learn maps dot google dot com.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

zmcnulty posted:

increment p makes MapFan which is definitely detailed and has subway exit numbers. There's even an iphone app: http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/mapfan-for-iphone/id354667360?mt=8

With that kind of data they could have launched a much better product. I hope zombie jobs eats the brains of the lead maps developer.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

inklesspen posted:

Anyone know if CDMA-enabled iPhone5's will work on DoCoMo? I found what looks like a pretty good LTE SIM rental deal, but to quote the response from their support email, "DoCoMo will not confirm YES or NO whether their nanosim work in your CDMA device."

I've got the Verizon iPhone, which according to Apple supports the 2100 Mhz frequency which JCR says their sim uses.

yes but not for LTE, you will fall back to some flavor of 3G.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
I would get an unlocked HK/SG phone and throw a docomo sim in it to not have to deal with docomo crap on the phone or slow upgrades.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah but does it come in gold.? :smug:

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

paberu posted:

B-mobile also has an LTE plan now, but I don't know if it's compatible with non Japanese handsets.

Nexus 5

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Bmoblie has one that uses their own Sims.

Or get a cheap used android phone to use as a router.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

I'm thinking I might try and go for a mobile wifi hotspot for a while instead of setting up my apartments wifi... I want a mobile wifi hub anyway and I figure it will cut down on distractions like games and youtube and poo poo while I'm busy working. Is this a terrible idea?

I'm working my way through this thread but the mobile wifi hub data conversation is something like half a year old or so, so if there's any new info or a goon consensus on the best mobile wifi service I'm all ears.

I like my emobile and it's cheap like 3800 a month, but remember its like 5...7 something GB before they cap the speed to 128K. I don't think I've ever hit it but it's not my primary internet. Speed is fine though for regular surfing, but I wouldn't use it for downloading linux isos or netflix. Just get the line and a wifi router for that.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Docomo does sim only but the data is more expensive. I just shoved my iPhone sim info my Nexus 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
I'm total retarded, biglobe has data only sim plans and I think they are based off Docomo. They have a 3 sim plan with 7gb shared data. OCN has Sims as well same off of Docomo. Just Google biglobe and OCN Sims.

• Locked thread