Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You know you're getting old when the Docomo phone that suits your needs most is the らくらくホン7.

All I want is a clamshell phone with a decent front-panel display so I can read my emails without having to open the drat thing! (Oh and a key that enters a space glyph when I'm writing in English.)

Again I regret getting rid of my fantastic old Toshiba 603T and replacing it with this lovely Aquos phone. Nice as a camera and a TV, poo poo for everything else.

edit: Holy gently caress they want 48,174 yen over two years for it? It's a basic loving model dumbphone! How the hell do they justify that! gently caress it, I'm not upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sheep posted:

Doesn't the zero key do this on most phones?

Not on my Aquos. In English text mode? 0 inserts a zero. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I have to hit "forward" twice instead. I can do without predictive text input, but that space thing just kills me.

vvvvvvvvvvvvv It doesn't :( I have to hit 1 seven times or hash five times.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 25, 2011

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
So just confirming then, there's no tethering with a SoftBank iphone 4S without jailbreaking it?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Fuckers. Oh well, thanks for clearing that up.

What is the "wifi thing" you speak of? That's somehting else I was wondering--the website says that they can give you a wifi router for free, but that appears to be one that connects to your home broadband connection, presumably so that when you're downloading cat macros and all that inside your house, you're using your own existing internet connection instead of clogging up the 3G network.

But last weekend when a friend of mine got a 4S (I went to the store with her), she called me over and asked if she needed "some wifi thing that lets you use wifi everywhere". Is that what you're talking about? Can you give me a product/service name so I can go look for more info about it?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Does anyone offer a prepaid (data allowance rather than periodic plan) wi-fi router thingy at all? Basically, I'm looking to go back to my old clamshell once my iPhone contract is up in March, but I want to have a wifi pod that I can use every now and then that isn't going to suck thousands of yen per month out of my wallet. I'd only need about 250 meg a month (if that) for how I'm planning to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Madd0g11 posted:

Bmoblie has one that uses their own Sims.

Or get a cheap used android phone to use as a router.

So they do. I just found this: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/wifi3/index.html, which isn't prepaid but still does the job.
Pity they don't sell the SIM separately. 25,000 seems a bit steep for one of those portarouters.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 21, 2013

• Locked thread