Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Not on my Aquos. In English text mode? 0 inserts a zero. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I have to hit "forward" twice instead. I can do without predictive text input, but that space thing just kills me.

vvvvvvvvvvvvv It doesn't :( I have to hit 1 seven times or hash five times.

My phone is the same as yours, I can press 0 ten times and I'll just get 0000000000. I just type in Japanese to anyone who speaks any Japanese at all and if I absolutely have to write in English I make drat sure not to forget anything. I find it amusing to think about the fact that the person who designed it completely failed to think about people ever wanting to input a blank space for any reason.

And on top of that, it has Korean input, but ONLY for names, and ONLY if you set the phone into 100% Korean language mode first. Have to go into the drat phone settings any time I put a Korean person in my phone book.

edit: I still wanna know what #12-13 are from that emoji chart thing. Only ones that nobody mentioned, and the only ones that baffle me every time I see them in my list.

Ara fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Kenishi posted:

SMS is poo poo though for any double byte language, such as Japanese. Its great for single byte character langauges like western languages though and you can communicate quite a bit, but its extremely limiting in Japanese. I think the only interesting thing about the whole announcement is the 3.15yen apiece thing, where as if you compare that to most US carriers, its more like 11yen (which is a total RIP OFF for only sending like 160bytes of data).

Wait... what? I always felt SMS was total poo poo in English because you could barely fit a sentence in the thing before you ran out of characters, but in Japanese I use it all the time since you can cram quite a large amount of information into a smaller number of Japanese characters. Unless you type like a retard like "i am gn to the stor do u wnt nethin". Compare the number of characters in "I'm going to the store, want anything?" vs "スパーに行く、何か欲しい?"

And I never understood the point of them anyway since I'm on a cheapass prepaid phone and I get unlimited email service for 300 yen/month including unlimited free picture mails. I just reply to people with SMS when they send me an SMS.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Never in five years have I gotten an SMS from anyone except a foreigner... and that only once because I never replied.

I'd say 75% of Japanese people that I've exchanged mails with have used SMS exclusively, with the occasional email when I guess they accidentally selected the wrong thing or something. But then I have literally never known someone who didn't have Softbank, so maybe that has something to do with it. I will admit that I prefer SMS on my phone since it has a nice green background with white text, rather than the email's black-on-white.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

I use Softbank because my prepaid phone is 1500/month with unlimited mails, and I'm not aware of anything comparably cheap through the other companies. I literally did not know a single foreigner when I picked it out. People living in "foreigner herds" tend to only hang around for a year or two and not speak any Japanese, so I doubt many will have any motivation to figure stuff out on their own.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

tyblazitar posted:

Speaking of Softbank prepaid, is it possible to reactivate an expired account? My account expired in december or january, but since it says my number would be reserved for 360 days after expiry, and active again if I bought a new card, I bought one yesterday. And sure enough, I can receive mails no problem, but it seems I can't send any, despite the account information line telling me I have 2976 yen in my account. So did I just pay for receiving stuff on the same mail/number, or is something wrong?

EDIT: Turns out I can make calls, just not send any mails.

If you've got 2976 in your account, you haven't activated the monthly "mail service" thing for 300 yen. Call up 1400 and activate mail service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

seorin posted:

I don't want my friend to somehow get screwed because I'm using a phone that's technically in his name, so if that's a possibility, I'll probably just bite the bullet and get a different phone when I get to Kobe, then send this one back to him.

It's a prepaid phone. So... don't use it to arrange or commit crimes and I think you'll be safe!

• Locked thread