Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

Carfax Report posted:

The device was free on a two year contract. It was 4k a month for the first year, and 5k a month for the second year.

The quirks are that if you are on a train and go into a tunnel and lose a signal, you sometimes have to do a hard reset. Also, it may stay connected to a device for four hours and then die of lack of battery. (4 hours is its max.) Since it doesn't use a 3G network, sometimes it can't get signal in places where phones can, and vice-versa.

It's not as bursty like 3G but it's not as solid as wired. A happy medium. It's about 3mps download, which sometimes feels slow, but definitely gets the job done.

Lately my apartment internet has been weird so I've been turning it on even at home. I use it with my laptop, iphone, and wifi iPad. All can be connected and sharing at the same time.

Also, it doesn't have every port open so things like bit torrent don't work on it.

Is yours a wi-max router that shoots out a wifi network? Are you sure its not a device that takes a 3G signal and spits out a wifi network? I also have a pocket wifi thing and it gets its data from 3G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

Ganguro King posted:

I have an iphone app that pretends its some other softbank phone when connecting to the web, so using the Japanese mobile internet is possible on the iphone at least.

Do you guys actually use 1-seg? Maybe its because I live in the inaka and only get 2 channels, but I almost never used it when I had my old phone.

What app is that?

Gah, double post >:(

Rekka fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 17, 2011

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

Sheep posted:

This is what I'm worried about. 3G latency is just horrendous as far as I can tell unless you constantly keep the connection open ('ping -c 9000000000000000000000 google.com' basically). Both my iPhone and my HT-03A are pretty much useless for SSH and what not.

From my experience if you get one from Docomo you'll get 180/210 latency and transfer speeds of around 200kb-400kb/s

If you live in an area with access (unlikely) you should get wi-max as its essentially wifi.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

Ganguro King posted:

The aptly named GalapaBrowser.

Oh man, awesome. If this is going to allow me to access all the cool imode coupon sites that didn't release an app I'm going to be so happy. Also McDonalds coupons. Hell yeah.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

I think 17 is a Japanese golden maple leaf?

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Ok so if you're on softbank on their ubiquitous White Plan, I know you have free calls 1am to 9pm within the network.

How does the messaging work, though?

I know you pay 300yen or so a month for the basic messaging fees which they say is 0 yen for SMS but a fee for off network MMS.

So does this mean that texting off network is free, but sending pictures etc carries a fee?

To get around this, I assume if you have a smartphone and an unlimited data plan you just send the person those pictures through your email app rather than through the SMS function.

If someone uses their SOFTBANK email that comes with the phone, instead of for example a gmail account, does this also bypass those fees or does this go through their towers like MMS and incur fees?

If you have an iPhone and the packet houdai plan MMS is considered data within the plan so you can use both the messaging app or the email app for free. It's pretty good!

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

edit: seems you already said that, so whoops! nevermind.

A LOT of Japanese own iphones now. If they own iphones they must be using softbank. Of course most Japanese will own two phones, one dumb phone and one smartphone.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

KDDI taking preorders beginning at 4PM today:
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111007_482343.html?ref=rss

0 yen for the 16GB version; pretty awesome.

I'm thinking about which carrier to go with. Ive got an iPhone 4 with Softbank now. It's ok but the coverage / speed could be better. AU's service quality should be better but its a CDMA network so its limited to 3.2mb/s. It won't be able to make use of its higher data speed. Also Softbank have always been cheap for me where as AU have been expensive in the past.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

Kaleidoscope posted:

72000円 is what I last heard reported for a 64GB from AU.

I'll probably have to do that too as companies rarely like to give out phones for free to me. I wouldnt mind spotting the 72,000 though. Think if I pre-order today I can sign up and get the phone on the last day of the month, rather than next Friday? I wont have enough money on Friday, sadly...

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

After 2 years of having trouble getting an iPhone from softbank and having to pay the money upfront. I went to Softbank on Friday to pick up my pre-order and they wanted to try to put me through on the monthly payment / discount thing they do for the iPhone 4s. I didn't think it went through but it actually went through!

Not sure if it went through because it went tits up or it was too swamped so they approved everyone, or they need customers so bad anyone can get a free iPhone now.

Sitting here playing with my 64gb iPhone 4s. Feeling pretty good.

Oh, one plus for going with softbank; AU hasnt got its iPhone MMS sorted yet so you can't receive MMS messages until January sometime. Luckily I'm softbank so whatever!

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

Ganguro King posted:

This is all anecdotal, but I've heard that bringing outside phones to a Japanese network is either impossible, or such a huge pain in the rear end that it isn't worth it.

I wouldn't worry about it though, iPhones are dirt cheap over here if you sign up for a 2-year contract.

They are dirt cheap, but actually I'm not sure about that. I bought an iPhone 4 from a friend for real cheap, went to softbank and they gave me a new simcard for it. Granted I already had an iPhone 3GS paid off with them so I already had an account and the iPhone 4 was Japanese but making a simple softbank account is easy enough and I don't think they can really tell if its Japanese or not, unless its by IMEI number...

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

tarepanda posted:

I thought the Softbank iPhones weren't "free" or "cheap" -- it's just that you don't pay up-front and it's built into your monthly fee. So at the end, you've paid for the phone and if you break contract, you still have to pay for what's left on the phone?

Well, its true you're locked into a 2 year contract but a 16gb is literally free. There is no phone cost you are paying every month (unless you include the fact you've got a phone contract for 2 years as 'paying').

32gb has a phone cost of 440 yen a month, 64gb is 840 yen a month. Handset cost without contract starts at 47,000 yen a month. They divide this by 25 months (works out at like 1920 yen a month) and then offer you a discount every month of 1920 yen a month as long as you don't break the 25 month contract.

If you cancel the discount is invalid and you have to pay the rest of the handset cost. If you don't, you've just paid the standard phone cost you would have to pay every month anyway (white plan, packet houdai) and got a free 16gb iPhone out of it.

Taking into consideration that in general American data/voice plans are more expensive than softbanks plans(unless you call a lot - America has a lot of free minutes, Japan has fairly unlimited data plans) and that in America you need to pay $199 upfront for a 16gb iPhone 4S plus monthly plan, the iPhone is obviously cheaper here.

Rekka fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

dtb posted:

Just got my Galaxy Nexus today
So far two complaints:
1) Email pushes faster to my iPhone. I can open and read an email on my iPhone before it arrives on the Nexus
2) I would like a visual notification in standbye for email like on my iPhone so that I can just look at the screen when an email comes rather then unlock and open the GMail app

But all around it is a very solid device.

The lack of additional storage is a non-issue since we will soon have data in the subway; stream all your music. I do it already on my iPhone: iCloud baby.

You can't use the iCloud music function (iTunes match) in Japan yet, can you?!

• Locked thread