Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My friend has a US iPhone 4S on Docomo

Details, please! I'm bringing over a US iPhone 4 next week and would love to not need to buy a new device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

NeekBerm posted:

So I was a big dumb gorilla and didn't even take into account that my Softbank Iphone 4 wouldn't work in the United States. Now I have two weeks to sell my Iphone. What's the best way to go about this.

I was thinking of selling it for 3.5 man seeing as how its only 6 months old, flawless, and with complete packaging. Is this a fair price?

Want to trade? I'm arriving later this week with a US (AT&T) iPhone 4 and would be happy with a Softbank phone.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Original_Z posted:

Hah, I like how the main page of the Japanese App Store has a banner for map apps, that's a pretty damning admission of how bad the new maps are. Anyone have any recommendations? I've heard that Mapfan is the best of them all but it requires 4GB of space since it's all offline maps, if I get that then I won't have much free space left.

The US App Store also has a map section now.

Nokia's maps (maps.nokia.com) appear to be just as bad as Apple's in Japan, Google mobile (maps.google.com) has bad UX but gets the job done, and in my personal case Bing won't load on iOS6.

Other people probably have a better solution, but here's what I'm doing: map out a route on a PC using Google Maps, use Navitime to get the train route / alternatives down, and then plug the Japanese-style address into Apple Maps for the last mile since that part of the app actually works.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004
Yay iPhone 5!

I'm scared to see what my coming Softbank bills will look like - the idiot at the store took 30 minutes in the back room and then tried to move me away from the flat data plan despite my objections.

So I'm prepping my old 4 for sale, and it appears to be presenting itself as a Hong Kong phone (where I thought it was a Japan phone). Is there something special going on here?

snagger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 28, 2012

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Bakanogami posted:

So I just got to Japan with my US Verizon iPhone 4S that had (theoretically) been set up for international roaming and the $25/100mb/month global data plan. I got about 20 minutes on the train from Narita where it connected to NTT Docomo and gave me 3G coverage, but other than that it just gives the generic "Roaming" and gives me poo poo for data.

Just a couple low-hanging fruit here, but make sure Data Roaming is enabled in Settings > General > Cellular. Also check the carrier under Settings; you may need to manually choose a carrier for some strange reason.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Stringent posted:

It's available on AU, not sure about Softbank.

Softbank now supports tethering, but as usual there's plenty of cray-cray about the pricing structure:

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/price_plan/

Basically tethering is free for the first two years and then 500-ish yen a month afterwards. There's a 7GB data cap, but I'm unclear about whether that applies just to tethering traffic or that becomes your overall data cap on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snagger
Aug 14, 2004
Selling a brand-new Softbank iPhone 5 this weekend, if anyone wants it.

(got it as a warranty replacement from the Apple Store this week - it really is new)

3.5man obo; I live in Shinagawa.

• Locked thread