Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I've seen maybe 2 people actually complain about it, one being you. Personally, I didn't even notice it.

Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. As a rebuttal, I will present mine. I have a friend who got an instant headache when she watched a gameplay video, so make that three. So she can't really get into Deus Ex even though she'd like to.
If there's anything they can do to make it accessible to more people without compromising gameplay, they should. I see no downside to turning off head bobbing if it makes a few people sick. It personally doesn't bother me, but I don't mind accommodating more players. Hell, make it so Stephen Hawking can play it with his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Head bobbing is annoying as hell in games, it's exaggerated and doesn't make sense. The human head bobs up and down as they move, yes, but you never actually notice it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Poppleganger posted:

Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. As a rebuttal, I will present mine. I have a friend who got an instant headache when she watched a gameplay video, so make that three. So she can't really get into Deus Ex even though she'd like to.
If there's anything they can do to make it accessible to more people without compromising gameplay, they should. I see no downside to turning off head bobbing if it makes a few people sick. It personally doesn't bother me, but I don't mind accommodating more players. Hell, make it so Stephen Hawking can play it with his face.

I wasn't saying he was wrong or they shouldn't fix it, just that I hadn't seen many people say anything about it.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

I wasn't saying he was wrong or they shouldn't fix it, just that I hadn't seen many people say anything about it.

Ok, sorry if I sounded like a goon. It's all I know.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The solution to this is for you all to play STALKER and build up a tolerance to horrible headbobbing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love that they mentioned this thread and JC Tenton on the Facebook page. Eidos Montreal is great.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Mesadoram posted:

This should be the first link people see when they enter the topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, uh, what ever became of that ill-advised "Free trip to Detroit" contest?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Winner died.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Speedball posted:

It turns out that nobody asked for this.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Head bobbing is annoying as hell in games, it's exaggerated and doesn't make sense. The human head bobs up and down as they move, yes, but you never actually notice it.

I notice it, thanks to OCD I kinda go out of my way to notice things that arn't normally apparent, which is the reason why I can't stand games that don't have head bobbing, to me it changes the feel of the motion making movement feel floaty in a dreamy sense.

Ibbz
Dec 21, 2005
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women

I actually get the same sickness / head ache feeling as well in the Preview copy, I was expecting it to be a console setting in the PC version that we could modify (Well at least I hope so, as I've already pre-ordered).

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If I were you I'd start practicing 'counter-bobbing', so hopefully it cancels out the bob and you don't feel sick.

Either that or get an aug.

I preordered this from greenmangaming.com, for 28 bucks cos there was a couple of deals. If you live in Australia maybe think about getting it from somewhere other than Steam, as it has gone up to $70 AUD for the standard edition.

I dunno how legit greenmangaming.com is, but it seems pretty legit.

(I posted this in the last thread but we got a new one now, and as far as I know, people are still from Australia.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

greenmangaming and gamersgate are the only two DD website I would buy non-steamworks games from, so yeah they are pretty cool.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Reive posted:

I notice it, thanks to OCD I kinda go out of my way to notice things that arn't normally apparent, which is the reason why I can't stand games that don't have head bobbing, to me it changes the feel of the motion making movement feel floaty in a dreamy sense.

Head bobbing makes the game feel more fluid to me, regardless if it "makes sense" or not. I personally would hate not having it as not having it makes games feel like you are a robot on wheels.

Also most people who get ill are probably get so from the weird FOV, I am not sure what it's set too in game but it's probably fairly low.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mesadoram posted:

This should be the first link people see when they enter the topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

What movie is that?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

That has gotta be the most beautiful OP I have ever skimmed over to avoid spoiling myself. Not just here, but anywhere.

I've had the Augmented edition preordered for a while now on Steam. I'm thinking I'm going to try and be as stealthy and charismatic as possible on the first go, but of course there's always the ever effective plan B of "murder everything" if that doesn't work out.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mister Macys posted:

What movie is that?

Kentucky Fried Movie. It's amazing that people didn't want to go to Detroit as far back as 1977.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I shall join the choir and say that the OP is the best I have seen on these forums - it is seriously magnificent. You have set the bar very, very high for all who follow your footsteps.

I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I will probably buy it via Steam. I just upgraded my computer, so I can't wait to play this with high settings.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jose posted:

This is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't completed the leak.

The absolute best way to beat the first boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe2Jlq4FiE&feature=related

Seriously? SERIOUSLY!?

Barrett kicked my rear end on normal. No matter what I did, he beat me. 10 times. In the end, I had to nudge the difficulty down to Easy, just to get him.
On the other hand; I will do this when the game is released. It will sooth my soul.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Sweet god drat, Tecman, that's practically a thread right there, I hesitate to call that an opening "post". Still incredible, though, and I need to put my preorder down once the ol' monthly bread gets distributed from the company vault.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The OP would have shamed himself to release a sub-par thread for, what looks to be, a hugely amazing game.

Still, this is THE BEST OP I have ever seen.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Anatharon posted:

That is the most beautiful OP I have seen. :patriot:

Now, I do have a question. I have a terrible computer. This is making me consider getting DE 3 for Xbox or PS 3 instead, because I'm not entirely sure when I'll be able to replace it. The question is, will Human Revolution be moddable? Has Eidos even commented on it?

I can't think of any other advantage the PC version would have aside from possibly controls, and I'm honestly not even aware of if Deus Ex had much of a modding community. :shobon:

If it exists on PC, there will be an anime mod for it. I think it's one of those rules.

Have fun playing it with a controller, they're quite nice. A different skill set than a mouse and keys, but "better than" is an issue of personal skill and preference, not the device. Until someone decides Macs can be for gaming too, I'm sticking with the Xbox.

This game is looking great, I can't wait.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Jenova Project posted:

If it exists on PC, there will be an anime mod for it. I think it's one of those rules.

Have fun playing it with a controller, they're quite nice. A different skill set than a mouse and keys, but "better than" is an issue of personal skill and preference, not the device. Until someone decides Macs can be for gaming too, I'm sticking with the Xbox.

This game is looking great, I can't wait.

I'm not as comfortable with a keyboard and mouse as I am with a controller ( playing TF2 on PC lately has reminded me of this ), but fortunately I can plug in a controller and play just about any single-player game with it on PC.

Sure, keyboard + mouse gives more speed and accuracy, but I've never understood the "this is better than..." -argument either. You go with whatever you prefer, man.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Jesus loving christ, this game. The spoilers, by the way, are about the anti-rejection drug.

quote:

13:53 - Tyrone Slothrop: This was taken from a Rock, Paper Shotgun comment with the last part being my own taken from Wikipedia upon looking at the page on MLP.
13:53 - Tyrone Slothrop: As you’ll find out from terminals in Sarif, Neuropozyne inhibits glial recruitment to microelectrode sites. This is actually precisely the problem that’s preventing cybernetics from moving forward today: we can implant microelectrodes, but the brain reacts to the microelectrodes the same way it would to a parasite, and blocks them off with neural supportive tissue. Okay, well, fine. That means they read a few neurology papers. What really impresses me is the terminal where you find out what’s wrong with Neuropozyne: white matter loss, progressive multifocal leukencephalopathy, and eventual dementia. This is actually precisely the problem with the few drugs we have that are targeted at neuroimmunity (e.g. Tysabri): the brain needs microglial recruitment to function in order to clear out debris.

Now what is progressive multifocal leukencephalopathy caused by? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JC_virus
13:54 - Tecman[h+/-]: whoa

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Tec man, that's some dedication. I do think it reflects how Deus Ex has so much coverage in the media though.

Honestly, its almost a bit too much... I've started to see boring level design (up in the floof levels) and I'm starting to question my interest in the game.

Also the green man discount... its as if Eidos Montreal doesn't trust in their shipped game.

Please talk me out of these negative thoughts. I love Deus Ex.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GMG: Preorder discounts are nothing new; they likely take a part of their own cut out of the sale price.

Now buy it.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Also the green man discount... its as if Eidos Montreal doesn't trust in their shipped game.

GMG sales/discounts are sometimes Steam-level batshit insane good deals, even for really good games, I guess they just eat the lost profits from the lower price and make it up in sheer volume.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
GMG isn't the only one that does it. D2D constantly creates 20 or 25% off deals that apply to virtually every game in their catalogue, including pre-orders. Stacked with the standard 10% off, that can get some pre-orders as low as $34.

Hell, pick any pre-order in there. In 2 minutes, you can get a code for 15% off.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I hope there's an option for turning off the head-bobbing. (Is there?) Some of us get motion sickness from that poo poo. :(

Liberatore posted:

Hell, pick any pre-order in there [D2D]. In 2 minutes, you can get a code for 15% off.

How?

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
Very nice op, looking forward to the game. Although I would much rather buy it on PC, but my current system is lacking, to say the least. So XBOX it is, then.

Anyway, is it just me (and my recent visit to the Minority Perspective on Gaming), or are all women in the game hot & busty? (honest question, haven't played the leak)

I understand that the portrayal of women might not be the only offensive thing in the game (re: BLACK BUM).

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Jesus gently caress Tecman. I was wondering why you had been so quiet in IRC.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Baggot posted:

How?

Referral codes. But it appears they might not be doing that anymore - the website is down, but I did use it about 3 weeks ago.

In any case, there's a not so easy way of getting that same discount - IGN Prime members have a permanent 15% off in D2D, and you can gift games just fine.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
It's disconcerting how different in-game Adam's face looks from CG cutscene Adam's face. I much prefer the latter and I wish they'd polish up the in-game Adam to match, but I doubt that'll happen this late.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

ANGRYGREEK posted:

Anyway, is it just me (and my recent visit to the Minority Perspective on Gaming), or are all women in the game hot & busty? (honest question, haven't played the leak)

I understand that the portrayal of women might not be the only offensive thing in the game (re: BLACK BUM).
I really didn't get that vibe. Honestly, I was surprised how Megan seemed to be designed quite tastefully. Maybe it seemed that way from some of the "Adam Punches People" videos, but a lot of the targets in those were literally prostitutes with revealing clothing. There's plenty of completely "normal looking" aka non-caricatured civvies roaming the streets of Detroit, if you ignore the somewhat stylized nature of the NPCs in this game.

We may end up getting even more silly, stupid and hilarious voice acting though (remember, there's a whole Asian city hub, with lots of potential for "JC Dentan in tha fresh"), which would make this game follow in the footsteps of the first one - in this case, for the completely wrong reasons. :lol:

frabba posted:

Jesus gently caress Tecman. I was wondering why you had been so quiet in IRC.
I've also been busy working on stuff for Zapawork. :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It might be just me but I like head/camera-bobbing in FPSes (in TPSes too actually), I even raise sometimes (>2x) in games like Borderlands where it feels fitting.
It's might be just me though.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm preordering this now. I'd love to go PC but my machine is about 5 years old at this point, so console sounds like the better option.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Well... My laptop is 4 years old and it runs the leak (which is probably less optimized than the release version) perfectly. So there's that.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Is it weird that I'm excited that this game could really work well on consoles? I really want this game to reach alot of people, and hopefully push future boundaries for design at other studios, as well for Eidos Montreal.

I'm also really sore about watching the PS3 thread and seeing CoD Black Ops at the top of the list of most played game in alot of countries for some reason.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

This is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't completed the leak.

The absolute best way to beat the first boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe2Jlq4FiE&feature=related

:psyboom:

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. There's even unique dialogue for it.

• Locked thread