Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

So, seeing as this is a prequel, what do you think the odds are of finding out if that vending machine was sabotaged to give out orange instead of lemon-lime?
I believe this was already dealt with in Invisible War..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Just when you think the game can't get even more awesome: Holy gently caress that hidden "door" and what's behind it (Obviously from the Leaked Version, Spoilers)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

On the "Sarif Industries" page of...Sarif Industries, there's a hacking minigame that gives you some datafiles on characters.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tecman posted:

Just when you think the game can't get even more awesome: Holy gently caress that hidden "door" and what's behind it (Obviously from the Leaked Version, Spoilers)

It's not really hidden so much as the breakdown dialog doesn't come up until you have wall smash available.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

I said come in! posted:

Not even you can stop this thread turning into the Mass Effect 2 thread. It's going to happen. :|

So, a four page discussion of what David Sarif's sweat tastes like?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

These were what I found on the Sarif page (schematic type files for different augs). e:Just checked the site again, just surf around the 'augmentations' pages for a bit, and a hacking minigame should come up.

Arm blade
http://imgur.com/Zrlgg

Cloak
http://imgur.com/uJivk

Typhoon (file is called 'claymore')
http://imgur.com/Icynl

Dermal Armour
http://imgur.com/ytiYZ

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 22, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
You can type stuff on the first line of the "hacked" page of sarifindustries.com .

Does this do anything?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I think the entire "hacked" site was launched too early or just bugged - like you said, you can change the text on the first line, so you can do stuff like this...

...the Lazarus audio files won't play.

edit: However, there's stuff like character profiles & a map. Was unable to trigger the hack interface for a long time, but it finally worked just now. :) Just keep cycling between the Aug pages and you should get it.

Here are the profile pics, some of them are a bit broken towards the end, sorry about that: Megan Reed, Francis Wendell Pritchard, Faridah Malik, Athene Margoulis

The map of Sarif - Dugan & Sons - Main Sprinkler System also has a link to a secret video: http://sarifindustries.com/en/sec/E-SO-SecurityHack.mp4

Here's the list of the (non-functional for now) Lazarus clips for later:
LAZ_001: Augmentations / Vision Aug
LAZ_002: Augmentations / Speed Aug
LAZ_003: Sarif Industries / About Sarif Industries
LAZ_004: Augmentations / Durability Aug
LAZ_005: Augmentations / Insight Aug

Tecman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 22, 2011

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I haven't had any other hacks come up for me yet \:smith:/

e: noticing some images have these little barcodes on them, but they can't but clicked or moused-over or anything. Can't be bothered going through every image to see if there's a sequence.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 22, 2011

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like the hacked site ties-in with a new live-action trailer, so hopefully they'll be getting everything operational soon.

e: whoops, beaten quite a while ago.

STABASS fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 22, 2011

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Zedd posted:

does greenmangaming do gifting?
Apparently not. I caved myself (I mean, come on) but I hope we'll be able to get that mission somehow.

Edit: Quite a few people mentioned problems with currency and proxies (example), try searching the forums.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 22, 2011

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

TheMostFrench posted:

e: noticing some images have these little barcodes on them, but they can't but clicked or moused-over or anything. Can't be bothered going through every image to see if there's a sequence.
Those are codes for the QR Missions App Scavenger Hunt.

Anyways, I've edited my previous post with some... interesting finds. :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Speedball posted:

So, seeing as this is a prequel, what do you think the odds are of finding out if that vending machine was sabotaged to give out orange instead of lemon-lime?

Invisible War had a note proving that the maintenance man did have a plot against Gunther. Possibly the best part of that game.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mega64: DEUS EX TRIBUTE.

Actually I'm a really big Mega64 fan, but this one felt pretty sloppy to me. Oh well!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Can't exactly get away with beating up hookers on the street these days \:unsmith:/

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
That was funny, they really should've included some chickens as greasels tho. :)

At the crossroads of steroids, baseball, and Deus Ex
( http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6324713/at-the-crossroads-of-steroids-baseball-and-deus-ex )

Comic-Con 2011: Eidos Montreal reveals the real science and thought process behind the augmentations in its Deus Ex prequel.

Who was there: Eidos Montreal's community manager moderated a panel that featured Mary DeMarle, lead writer on Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Will Rosellini, the CEO of MicroTransponder and technological consultant on the game.

What they talked about : The crux of the panel was highlighting how the development team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution (with the help of Will Rosellini) wanted to create a believable world that was grounded not only in present-day events, but also in a world that made sense in relation to being a prequel to the original Deus Ex. DeMarle started by talking about how the original Deus Ex involved nano augmentations and how it hinted that mechanical augmentations were something that preceded it. So they took the mechanical augmentation idea and ran with it as a basis for the prequel, but DeMarle also said that focusing on the mechanical augmentations gave more opportunities to create more visually diverse characters. She then said that they wanted to look at how these mechanical augmentations would be perceived via issues that society deals with and what prejudices spring forth as a result.

But to make it all feel relevant, DeMarle stressed that the team needed to make the science real, and that's where Will Rosellini came in. His company, MicroTransponder, is working on an actual implant that uses RF energy to combat various neurological diseases, but Rosellini is also a big fan of games. While he was disappointed in Deus Ex: Invisible War, he contacted the development team because he felt that a new Deus Ex game could make some interesting predictions about the future of implants and the technology surrounding them.

DeMarle continued by saying that the development team built out an entire timeline that traced the history of augmentation and then predicted where it would go. She used Oscar Pistorius--a double amputee sprinter who uses special carbon-fiber prosthetics to run--as an example of a predicted turning point where those with implants integrate with those who do not have them.

She then went into an explanation of how the augmentations were developed for Human Revolution. The development team started with augmentations that naturally fit within the gameplay pillars of stealth, hacking, combat, and social abilities. For stealth, as an example, the team wanted to make sure that there was a cloaking augment. But for other abilities, DeMarle said that the team started off with ridiculous ideas, like a bungee augment that let Adam Jensen (the game's lead character) jump from any height and safely land on the ground, but by tempering the idea and making it work within the universe, it eventually became the Icarus Landing System.

Rosellini then explained how augmentations are already a very real part of society. Surprisingly, he cited his own experience as a pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks as an example of people already using augments as a means for getting an edge over others. In this instance, he said, the edge was a drug (or steroids) as opposed to something more physical, but the intent was the same. He then referred to the iPhone, not only as evidence of how quickly technology advances when funding is behind it, but also as an augment in itself. More people are carrying around smartphones than ever before, and oftentimes people wouldn't even think of leaving the house without it.

There was also a discussion about what happens in the world of Deus Ex as a result of mechanical augmentations being introduced. DeMarle explained that a whole new middle class springs up as a result of new opportunities being offered to those who are able to work more difficult jobs because of their augmentations. Problems arise when the mechanical becomes better than the real, according to DeMarle, and that creates the friction in Human Revolution's world. And that's just skimming the surface of the debate. There is also the question of drugs used to keep bodies from rejecting the implants and how people get addicted to the drug itself. Rosellini addressed how this is based in reality, because the body does whatever it can to reject foreign objects (for example, the inflammation that occurs due to a splinter), and people generally don't like wearing things that exist on top of the body, but rather are a part of it.

The takeaway: Sometimes, people take sci-fi for granted. Audiences may not really appreciate the amount of work and research that goes into creating a world that is not only fantastic, but also realistic and relatable. By incorporating real science and sociology into its universe, the development team of Deus Ex: Human Revolution hopes that people will be able to instantly understand its message and what the implications are of Adam Jensen's actions in the game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tecman posted:

Awesome. Where is that area located exactly?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Awesome. Where is that area located exactly?

Looks like the sewers behind the police station.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
e: I even checked for embeds, but welp :blush:

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Scroll up 5 posts.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Doom Goon posted:

Mega64: DEUS EX TRIBUTE.

Actually I'm a really big Mega64 fan, but this one felt pretty sloppy to me. Oh well!
The "you're going to burn alright" part got me pretty good.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So what ethnicity is Faridah Malik? She's got a flawless North American accent, so I assume she's lived most of her life in the States.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Speedball posted:

So what ethnicity is Faridah Malik? She's got a flawless North American accent, so I assume she's lived most of her life in the States.

The name is definitively Middle Eastern. Haven't played enough of the leak to know if it ever matters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Speedball posted:

Detroit area has the largest Arab population in the US, and the game actually bothers to reflect it. Malik, Sarif, bunch of the random NPCs.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Malik is lovely.

Also that Mega 64 video wasn't the best I've seen, which is sad. :( Limited options I suppose, other than going about in baggy coats and shades at night, shouting "my vision is augmented" at people.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The hacking scenes were pretty good. It's middle of the road for me.

I've got nerves of steel.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Going to a firing range and shooting wildly, then taking 5 full minutes to line up a decent body shot?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I haven't been paying any attention to this game or any media related to it up until now, but goddamn I just watched the live action trailer and holy poo poo is that some good stuff.

Something's telling me that I'll enjoy the game a hell of a lot more the less I know about it, so I'm gonna return to the blackout, but drat I thought that trailer was really well done. Really good sense of atmosphere and use of music.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Yoya posted:

The name is definitively Middle Eastern. Haven't played enough of the leak to know if it ever matters.

They're really playing into the whole winged ascension thing, too. Sarif is super easy off the bat since it's pronounced just like seraph, while Malik is pronounced malak, the Arabic word for angel.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Speedball posted:

http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/sarifprofile-faridah.jpg

Her bio says she was born in Dearborn, MI.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh. Went over to a friend's place; they were trying to play the beta of the first level on their laptop (it ran pretty crappily, of course). There was an amusing bug in the introductory sequence: the Typhoon didn't go off when it was supposed to, so it looked like the general was saying, "Impressive. When do you think it'll be ready?" facetiously as it sat there and did nothing.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Speedball posted:

Heh. Went over to a friend's place; they were trying to play the beta of the first level on their laptop (it ran pretty crappily, of course). There was an amusing bug in the introductory sequence: the Typhoon didn't go off when it was supposed to, so it looked like the general was saying, "Impressive. When do you think it'll be ready?" facetiously as it sat there and did nothing.

Odd for that to happen in an on-rails sequence. Did they not look in the right direction?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Speaking of amusing bugs from the leak, found these on Facepunch:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Uh, that's not a bug. That's the "penguin augmentation". I thought you guys knew?

E: I hope there is some sort of multiplayer 'Deus Ex: Station 13' mod for this game.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 23, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well he was followed by a clown and a midget for a while. :smug:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Adam Ten-Centimeters is upon us.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Now that is one hell of an OP :stare:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tecman posted:

Speaking of amusing bugs from the leak, found these on Facepunch:

I never asked for this

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I found a bug like that, except instead of penguins they turned into pancakes. So that rear end in a top hat lady outside Jensen's apartment who says something like "IF IT WERE UP TO ME, I WOULDN'T EVEN LET PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN HERE" was the most bigoted puddle I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Got my preorder from Greenmangaming at last.

• Locked thread