Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gyoru posted:

Also Gametrailers has a new preview up:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-hd-deus-ex/717617

Just watched this preview, very exciting stuff! Looks like they were playing the PlayStation 3 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Vertigus posted:

Yet another case of simulating a camera rather than simulating a set of eyes. Human brains filter out all the bobbing your head does when you walk so you don't even notice it.

Well, it's all about how the camera does it. If the camera locks its center focus at infinity, while the body of the camera kind of shifts around slightly while maintaining its focal point, everything is fine. People don't get sick when the camera moves like that because that's how people's eyes work. They maintain a focal point while your head bobs around.

It's when they make the camera flop around like its placed on a freely swiveling ball joint that's set where the character's head should be that people get motion sickness.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 19, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Morpheus posted:

I'm going to a Deus Ex media event early next month. Are there any questions anyone wants me to ask the developers?

Ask them if they just don't have black people in Montreal or what. SHEEEEIT captain.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The OP looks even better on actual live forums!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
This game is going to be loving awesome.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Greatest OP ever in the history of the forums.
If only the Skyrim thread wasn't such a spergy, Morrowind-white-knighting piece of poo poo... :sigh:

The sheer amount of hype for this game makes me really glad I haven't played the first two.
There's no way I can be disappointed, unless they pull an Alpha Protocol on the combat.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Good thread, thanks OP! I have to say I'm excited enough about this game that I will ignore literally everything spoilerish about it until there's a cheap GOTY edition to buy and I have a new computer/neural implants so I can play it while I walk to work. Seriously, though, this could turn out to be the first game I buy near release since RA2. Must resist hype...

But if there's even one vehicle/rail shooter portion then it's betrayed the original and belongs to the console newbs and new gamers :colbert: and I'll just sigh and buy Invisible War and wonder where we went wrong.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

There's no way I can be disappointed, unless they pull an Alpha Protocol on the combat.
It was drat satisfying for me in the leak, but obviously YMMV. Plus with the whole "throw physics objects at things to murder them, including corpses and fridges" feature, having the combat being boring is pretty much impossible.

Seriously. Fridges. :swoon: :allears:

edit: I just realized with all the new people, you guys probably haven't heard about The Fridge yet. Well, let me enlighten you. This was originally posted on the PC PowerPlay forums:

ThePhotoshop posted:

I'm PRETTY sure the biggest thing you can throw at someone is a fridge. I tried without the aug and it gave me the TOO HEAVY warning. Will let you know.

Surely a FRIDGE would kill someone instantly.

ThePhotoshop posted:

Holy poo poo. Guys.

The fridge WORKS.

Not only does it kill people with an instant ragdoll, but it STOPS BULLETS while you're holding it.

This is the greatest game EVER

Dumpsters work too. I anticipate youtube videos of people using nothing but stealth and the environment to finish the game.

ThePhotoshop posted:

Oh crap.

Moving heavy objects like fridges and dumpsters slowly drains your energy.

And THROWING them instantly depletes half of a battery (you start with two)

Looks like fridge playthroughs will need to be supported by the extra battery and faster energy recharge augs.

Also I don't think it's possible to carry the fridge between load zones, and most load zones are doors you must interact with, which you can't do while holding something.

ThePhotoshop posted:

OK, just to confirm a few more things.

All locks on doors are electronic, and must be hacked. HOWEVER, doors still have health - the game just doesn't display it. You can still blow up doors, AS WELL AS shoot them to bits if you pump enough bullets into them from any weapon (a couple of pistol clips seems to do it).

Ammo is quite rare on hardest difficulty though so you can't do this willy-nilly.

But that's not all - doors are subject to PHYSICS DAMAGE too. I basically broke into half of the Detroit Police Station by bashing my trusty fridge against any locked door that stood in my way.

Looks like much of the first game's systemic elements have survived!

Oh yeah, another point: when you set the fridge down, you can snap to it as a cover object.

So, lets recap. The fridge is:

1. A killing machine
2. A mobile, impenetrable shield
3. A large and loud lockpick
4. Mobile cover

Conclusion: nerf the fridge.

Oh, and my own experience:

Tecman posted:

Two things which I myself did: used boxes to get over some electrical current on the floor (place box, while on box move second box bit ahead, move to second box, place first box, ahead, etc...), and then there's the best thing ever which I posted on Eidos: spending 5 minutes shoving not one but two fridges out of a tiny window in an apartment complex onto the streets of Detroit, getting each fridge to window level by using boxes so I could shove it out. I did this because a certain apartment complex had barred doors and the only way in or out was through a couple of tiny windows high up. I finished up with "I am about to unleash death and destruction on the poor, unsuspecting city", and that's exactly what ended happening.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 19, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

From what i've played of the leak, DX:HR surpasses Alpha Protocol in every aspect. This is the game that AP wishes it was. That game was such a failure, but DX:HR rights all of those wrongs and just does so much right.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I said come in! posted:

From what i've played of the leak, DX:HR surpasses Alpha Protocol in every aspect. This is the game that AP wishes it was. That game was such a failure, but DX:HR rights all of those wrongs and just does so much right.

Meanwhile AP is the game that Dragon Age 2 wishes it was, so the circle continues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Meanwhile AP is the game that Dragon Age 2 wishes it was, so the circle continues.

They are both games I wish never came out. At least Obsidian is smart enough to just go back to making sequels on other developers popular games, Bioware is unironically making a sequel to DA3.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
One thing I'm glad they kept from Invisible War was Alex's ridiculous throwing arm. I love playing basketball with corpses.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That's an amazing OP. I know it's been said, but drat. I'm excited for the game but seeing everything in that post is making the wait for next month all the more unbearable.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

I said come in! posted:

They are both games I wish never came out. At least Obsidian is smart enough to just go back to making sequels on other developers popular games, Bioware is unironically making a sequel to DA3.

Alpha Protocol wasn't exactly a major commercial success, so it's no surprise it didn't go further than the first game. DA2, despite being one of the worst games of the last few years, was very successful. I too would milk that cash cow, especially when the engine is done and most of your fans don't seem to mind that you're constantly recycling all forms of content without creating anything interesting in the process.

Chemical_Ali
Sep 30, 2005

War Criminal

Gyoru posted:

Holy poo poo at the OP.

For those who just missed the GMG deal - there's a new coupon that expires on July 24th.

They'll mail me all my augmented edition poo poo right? Or is this purely digital?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Deus Ex facebook page mentioned this thread.

Just popping in to mark it, then ignore it as I'm on a media blackout for this game and know only as much as what was revealed up to some E3 trailer.

god I hope it turns out to be a good game but I don't think that'll be a problem. :D

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ask them if they just don't have black people in Montreal or what. SHEEEEIT captain.

What's this about? Are there racist caricatures of black people in the game or something?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Vanderdeath posted:

What's this about? Are there racist caricatures of black people in the game or something?

One character. But it's probably much worse than you could possibly imagine.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...wow, I had no idea the fridge was so powerful. That's amazing. I thought the heavy lifting aug was mostly just for gaining access to areas but now I see it's good for so much more!

I take exception at calling Alpha Protocol a failure; more like a gem with a couple of really, really big flaws running through it. The number of non-combat things that game keeps track of is amazing, and from what I've seen I don't know if even DX:HR will approach that level of story-mutability.

All that said, it looks like it's going to be pretty drat fun to play.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Liberatore posted:

So far, but I mean, the leak doesn't even get to Asia. And yeah, that character might as well shuck and jive, it's seriously one of the most racist voice I've ever heard in a game. Speaking of the leak, has anyone managed to extract the soundtrack from the game files? I'd love to have that on my computer instead of having to use Youtube.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

...wow, I had no idea the fridge was so powerful. That's amazing. I thought the heavy lifting aug was mostly just for gaining access to areas but now I see it's good for so much more!

I take exception at calling Alpha Protocol a failure; more like a gem with a couple of really, really big flaws running through it. The number of non-combat things that game keeps track of is amazing, and from what I've seen I don't know if even DX:HR will approach that level of story-mutability.

All that said, it looks like it's going to be pretty drat fun to play.

It is. They're both fun to play, but for sort of different reasons.

And my attempts at using the fridge usually stop at taking down gangers and police. But it is dang fun to use it in that capacity.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyoru posted:

Holy poo poo at the OP.

For those who just missed the GMG deal - there's a new coupon that expires on July 24th.

Thanks for this - I'd been lazy about getting around to buying it and since this works with Steam I nabbed it

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Pharmaskittle posted:

So far, but I mean, the leak doesn't even get to Asia. And yeah, that character might as well shuck and jive, it's seriously one of the most racist voice I've ever heard in a game. Speaking of the leak, has anyone managed to extract the soundtrack from the game files? I'd love to have that on my computer instead of having to use Youtube.

I just saw the character on Youtube and I hope to God that it doesn't make it to launch because that's seriously offensive. Not only to black people (I'm black), but to anybody with common decency in general.

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

Liberatore posted:

Don't forget MEXICANTOWN and cholo.
That first "mini-boss" is a bit over the top.
:ese:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't completed the leak.

The absolute best way to beat the first boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe2Jlq4FiE&feature=related

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That is the most beautiful OP I have seen. :patriot:

Now, I do have a question. I have a terrible computer. This is making me consider getting DE 3 for Xbox or PS 3 instead, because I'm not entirely sure when I'll be able to replace it. The question is, will Human Revolution be moddable? Has Eidos even commented on it?

I can't think of any other advantage the PC version would have aside from possibly controls, and I'm honestly not even aware of if Deus Ex had much of a modding community. :shobon:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Only a month left before the game gets released. I'm stoked.

Also, once I read that Montreal would have a playable part in the game, I checked the image, and I recognize that Burger King, (original concept art to compare), there's just no big gently caress-off building in the middle of the park, and the traffic goes the wrong way on St Catherines.

But hey, nice to see that hair dresser is still there in 16 years time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anatharon posted:

Now, I do have a question. I have a terrible computer. This is making me consider getting DE 3 for Xbox or PS 3 instead, because I'm not entirely sure when I'll be able to replace it. The question is, will Human Revolution be moddable? Has Eidos even commented on it?

I can't think of any other advantage the PC version would have aside from possibly controls, and I'm honestly not even aware of if Deus Ex had much of a modding community. :shobon:

What is your computer specs? DX isn't suppose to be that system demanding.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Anatharon posted:

vastly superior controls, better looks (once you upgrade) and very likely that any annoyances will get modded out pretty soon.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What is your computer specs? DX isn't suppose to be that system demanding.

Instead of explaining to you, I'll just say that it's around 8 years old. :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Anatharon posted:

People will be left behind, it's Evolution. :shepface:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anatharon posted:

Hahah, fair enough. Get the console version for sure. :v:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Anatharon posted:

The question is, will Human Revolution be moddable? Has Eidos even commented on it?
The official response to that has basically been "No plans for Modding Tools so far, but never say never, it could happen in the future."

Considering that the community took apart the assets to get to the music files, I'm guessing that modding on a simple level could be possible, I just have no idea what this would let you do.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Vanderdeath posted:

I just saw the character on Youtube and I hope to God that it doesn't make it to launch because that's seriously offensive. Not only to black people (I'm black), but to anybody with common decency in general.

Got a link? Now I'm genuinely curious. The first Deus Ex wasn't exactly known for its accurate portrayal of Asians.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Got a link? Now I'm genuinely curious. The first Deus Ex wasn't exactly known for its accurate portrayal of Asians.
It's the last part of this video, at around 0:25. It's pretty bad.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
This should be the first link people see when they enter the topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Tecman posted:

It's the last part of this video, at around 0:25. It's pretty bad.

Haha here's hoping she eventually finds Br'er Rabbit in that trashcan.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

GreatGreen posted:

Tell them that the way they've animated the 1st person head bobbing effect when Adam runs is horrible and makes people sick. Then ask them if they're going to include an option to turn it off.

I've seen maybe 2 people actually complain about it, one being you. Personally, I didn't even notice it.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
EDIT: never mind- missed a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Chemical_Ali posted:

They'll mail me all my augmented edition poo poo right? Or is this purely digital?

It's probably going to be all mp3/pdf like with any other downloadable deluxe edition.

• Locked thread