Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't want to do non lethal takedowns? Just don't get caught. The true challenge: no takedowns and having to deal with Malik's death on your conscience.
"She told me to run, so I did. I probably couldn't have tried to help." - the scumbags who don't at least try save Malik on every playthrough, sending a message tarnished by lightning on a black stump up from the bowels of hell where they belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

CJacobs posted:

"She told me to run, so I did. I probably couldn't have tried to help." - the scumbags who don't at least try save Malik on every playthrough, sending a message tarnished by lightning on a black stump up from the bowels of hell where they belong

I can trace my feelings on preventing deaths like Malik's back to failing to save Shadow from the Floating Continent on my first playthrough of FFVI.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I remember my immediate reaction to Malik's crash being "oh so it's Paul again"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I remember my immediate reaction to Malik's crash being "oh so it's Paul again"

It's just like Paul, only unlike Paul Malik does not have an assault rifle and infinite health.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Seriously? I never knew Paul was invulnerable during that section, guess I was making that part way harder on myself. Could have sworn I'd blown him up with LAMs before, too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Reztes posted:

Seriously? I never knew Paul was invulnerable during that section, guess I was making that part way harder on myself. Could have sworn I'd blown him up with LAMs before, too.

He's got infinite health but despawns if he's a certain distance away from you. And while he has infinite health he does not have infinite bullets. On the upside, neither do his enemies. Leading to quite the massacre.

Basically if you want you can literally hide in the secret compartment and wait until the gunfire stops.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
IIRC the trigger for Paul dying in that sequence is specifically you climbing out the window like he asks you to, so even if he massacres the MIBs while you cower in a closet, he still keels over from exhaustion or something if you hop out the window afterward instead of using the front door like a civilized human being.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

3 posted:

IIRC the trigger for Paul dying in that sequence is specifically you climbing out the window like he asks you to, so even if he massacres the MIBs while you cower in a closet, he still keels over from exhaustion or something if you hop out the window afterward instead of using the front door like a civilized human being.

Yeah. To quote http://www.it-he.org/deus4.htm

quote:

There must be fifty ways to kill your brother
Or, "How to save Paul's life by filling his apartment with TNT and then accidentally setting light to it."

J.C. decides to cache the Boom in Paul's room until he can decide what to do with it.

Paul tells JC to get all the Boom out of his goddamn apartment before they have an accident. JC's reaction is less than controlled.

Just as they finalise the dope deal, there's a knock at the door.

...of course it might have something to do with the LAMs I left outside.

"That wasn't funny!" says Paul, as his apartment explodes.

Paul bends down to examine the red mist which his brother has just been reduced to.
He shows a complete lack of surprise and emotion when JC later turns up at the MJ12 lab, not only alive but in solid form, as opposed to gaseous.

The only way for Paul to die is that stupid window.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Which page had JC carrying an American flag through each loading zone, and then eventually kicking Manderley out of his own office?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

double nine posted:

Yeah. To quote http://www.it-he.org/deus4.htm

The only way for Paul to die is that stupid window.

I did that once. It was loving beautiful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SpelledBackwards posted:

Which page had JC carrying an American flag through each loading zone, and then eventually kicking Manderley out of his own office?

http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/84.html

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

... Wait, you can give Gunther an orange soda?

I swear to loving god I discover new poo poo about this game all the time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Segmentation Fault posted:

... Wait, you can give Gunther an orange soda?

I swear to loving god I discover new poo poo about this game all the time.

What.

What??

This goddamn game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:vince:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone linked oldmanmurry or it-he? Welp time for me to read through them both again :allears:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Momomo posted:

What.

What??

This goddamn game.

Apparently you have to pick one up during the Liberty Island mission and carry it with you to Gunther, sort of like the hungry Castle Clinton kid. I'm gonna try it now and see if Murray's bullshitting me or not about that.

E: Okay I got tricked. You actually can't. Still, the fact that that seems believable...

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 2, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Apparently you have to pick one up during the Liberty Island mission and carry it with you to Gunther, sort of like the hungry Castle Clinton kid. I'm gonna try it now and see if Murray's bullshitting me or not about that.

E: Okay I got tricked. You actually can't. Still, the fact that that seems believable...

Were you carrying the flag at the time?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
also you have to not go in your office before that part

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I thought I skipped the office, I walked past it, maybe I have to jump off the level 1 balcony. I wasn't carrying the flag.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Make sure you get the crossbow upgrade as well.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

I thought I skipped the office, I walked past it, maybe I have to jump off the level 1 balcony. I wasn't carrying the flag.

yeah try literally everything

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Saving Malik on a simultaneous never get seen and never kill run was fairly tricky. If you ever let her die you're weak and mean and I'm very cross with you

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm doing a Rambo II run right now (Kill everyone who wants to kill me). Saving Malik was easy as I just shredded my way through Belltower goons by sniping, run n gun and a little bit of brutal melee takedown poo poo.

So far this has been the most satisfying way to play the game

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'm doing a Rambo II run right now (Kill everyone who wants to kill me). Saving Malik was easy as I just shredded my way through Belltower goons by sniping, run n gun and a little bit of brutal melee takedown poo poo.

So far this has been the most satisfying way to play the game

I think this is pretty reasonable as long as you shout 'they drew first blood!' before eviscerating the lot of them.

I ended up doing the same general thing this play through after I realized I accidentally had a kill while backtracking a level. Most of the time it's passive, but particularly heinous individuals get swift justice.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Virion posted:

I think this is pretty reasonable as long as you shout 'they drew first blood!' before eviscerating the lot of them.

I ended up doing the same general thing this play through after I realized I accidentally had a kill while backtracking a level. Most of the time it's passive, but particularly heinous individuals get swift justice.

This is pretty much me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

Saving Malik on a simultaneous never get seen and never kill run was fairly tricky. If you ever let her die you're weak and mean and I'm very cross with you

Yeah, saving Malik on a foxiest-fox no-kill hard run was one of the most enjoyable things I've done in a game. I also like that I was motiviated to do it through a sense of engagement with a character, rather than it being an externally imposed goal. (Unless not wishing to be a monster, a being of no value to this Earth, can be regarded as an externally imposed goal, perhaps :stare: )

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
well while we're posting videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Mankind Divided gameplay demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEULRQVA6JQ

I'm still in the middle of this, but it's pretty interesting so far. Adam gets a version of the blink power from Dishonored called Icarus Dash. Takedowns are still in stop time. Art direction remains superb. Nothing looks hugely radical, but then, nothing really needs to be, since HR was so drat good.

e: If first impressions hold, it's kind of a shame that they gave Adam wired reflexes/bullet time as an upgrade, but didn't use it as opportunity to reform the melee system. I'm imagining a system where takedowns could be handled via slo-mo QTE, with increasing complexity if you're trying to chain takedowns together, and penalties for failing e.g. the takedown fails, or it succeeds but alerts people nearby. I don't even like QTEs, but it'd add a layer of complexity beyond "press button, time stops and man falls down."

But everyone is a critic. Super psyched.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 27, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new gameplay additions look pretty good but goddamn the dude commentating over it could not be more "I am reading bullet points from the back of the box or the Steam description" if he tried. I like the new UI.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack of Hearts posted:

Mankind Divided gameplay demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEULRQVA6JQ

I'm still in the middle of this, but it's pretty interesting so far. Adam gets a version of the blink power from Dishonored called Icarus Dash. Takedowns are still in stop time. Art direction remains superb. Nothing looks hugely radical, but then, nothing really needs to be, since HR was so drat good.

e: If first impressions hold, it's kind of a shame that they gave Adam wired reflexes/bullet time as an upgrade, but didn't use it as opportunity to reform the melee system. I'm imagining a system where takedowns could be handled via slo-mo QTE, with increasing complexity if you're trying to chain takedowns together, and penalties for failing e.g. the takedown fails, or it succeeds but alerts people nearby. I don't even like QTEs, but it'd add a layer of complexity beyond "press button, time stops and man falls down."

But everyone is a critic. Super psyched.

People rag on QTE's a lot, but well implented ones with good visuals can be a really fun gameplay mechanic. Something like you suggest would have been an awesome way to improve takedowns.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Snak posted:

People rag on QTE's a lot, but well implented ones with good visuals can be a really fun gameplay mechanic. Something like you suggest would have been an awesome way to improve takedowns.

QTEs are like salt. It's nice on a dish, but if you add too much it ruins the experience.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I really like that they've added female combatants who aren't, uh, whatserface, just women with guns walking around in the missions. There's no room for :biotruths: in cyberpunk, and anyway, underground resistance movements and super-soldier programs where everyone is modded way past normal human potential would both be shooting themselves in the foot if they refused to recruit from half the population.

The nanoblade looks cool and also pointless. I have a 10MM pistol with silencer and AP bullets with which to shoot people in the face, I don't need to shoot nanites out of my arm, thank you very much :colbert:. I'm sure it'll have some use, but stop making me miss the Dragon Tooth, developers. Also, I loved "maybe this NPC needs to...stick around for a little while :smug:" like it was a glue gun or something.

It's too soon to say, but I get the impression Jensen won't be crippled to start with, which is cool. Making the objectives more challenging or the enemies more difficult while allowing Jensen superpowers from the beginning is a lot more fun than the alternative.

Snak posted:

People rag on QTE's a lot, but well implented ones with good visuals can be a really fun gameplay mechanic.

I played the first two Shenmues on DC and have been traumatized ever since. But if Adam has wired reflexes, it justifies the QTE being fairly forgiving (since everything is in slow motion for him) and so might add immersion, or even challenge, like if three guys were clustered together, and you could take the first guy trivially, the second guy with some effort, and the third guy would be very chancy. But takedowns as they are are a weak mechanic, not a broken one, and man did I love the first game, so whatever, I don't need to armchair design anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had complete missed that there was gameplay footage from E3, I just watched it, plus the Tech Demo trailer, and was pretty blown away. All of this looks really amazing and keeps all of my favorite parts of Human Revolution.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the mechanical apartheid

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Merciful soul and lethal takedowns being loud seem to still be in, which is annoying as far as making loud gameplay an alternate choice instead of the 'you hosed up' choice.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

the mechanical apartheid

cyborg jim crow

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Androc posted:

Merciful soul and lethal takedowns being loud seem to still be in, which is annoying as far as making loud gameplay an alternate choice instead of the 'you hosed up' choice.

Literally the worst thing about DX:HR was the idea that there was a "best" way to play the game that was reinforced by game mechanics. I don't mean poo poo like "boohoo I couldn't sneak past the boss fights" I mean that you straight up got more XP for stealth and non-lethality, regardless of the flavor of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still stand by my opinion that giving you less XP for loud is justified because you have much less of a need for XP, as there are way fewer combat-based augmentations than stealth-oriented ones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I still stand by my opinion that giving you less XP for loud is justified because you have much less of a need for XP, as there are way fewer combat-based augmentations than stealth-oriented ones.

Less XP for loud IS justified. Lethal being loud is rear end backwards though. I think if they made it so that stealth kills were worth the same as loud incapacitations that would be a good tradeoff.

But I hate fun, so w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess the problem stems mostly from the fact that the player has no reason to actually DO lethal incapacitations unless they're already discovered and in combat, at which point you could just shoot the guy. The game's justification for having it as a mechanic is that enemies can't be woken up by their buddies if they're dead instead of knocked out, but since you can move sleeping bodies and doing a takedown leaves you right on top of the relevant person, that's basically never going to ever be a problem in normal gameplay anyway. I can't think of any way to really fix that.

• Locked thread