Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

GO to 14:08 in the video. Two selection wheels, one for augs, one for weapons. No more inventory tetris.

A selection wheel doesn't mean anything for inventory since PS3/360 version of HR had a selection wheel and inventory tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Human Revolution also had a selection wheel and still had the inventory screen. The wheel is the quick select for consoles/gamepad players instead of the numbered hotbar that the PC mouse/kb interface has.

Speaking of which I hope Mankind Divided also has a separate mouse/keyboard UI for the PC port.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xander77 posted:

The GEP gun, which you can get at the very first level, destroys anything with two-shots at most, and has automatic lock-on, so your Heavy weapons skill doesn't really matter.

The GEP gun is the best way to make a silent takedown.

quote:

Even the Assault Rifle can become a worthwhile weapon with enough investment.

Shame there's only about 5 shots for the grenade launcher in the entire game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The GEP Gun is also the best lockpick. It's pretty fantastic.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

haveblue posted:

Shame there's only about 5 shots for the grenade launcher in the entire game.

I know you're exaggerating, but it's probably closer to 20 if I had to guess. That 20mm HE round was the bee's knees.

That said, there're probably only like 9 throwing knives in the whole game. Almost as useless as the PS20. And the fire extinguisher is more useful than both of them -- I wish it were easier to use extinguishers as gas weapons in DXHR.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

I know you're exaggerating, but it's probably closer to 20 if I had to guess. That 20mm HE round was the bee's knees.

That said, there're probably only like 9 throwing knives in the whole game. Almost as useless as the PS20. And the fire extinguisher is more useful than both of them -- I wish it were easier to use extinguishers as gas weapons in DXHR.

At least you can use vending machines as weapons.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Wiseblood posted:

Human Revolution also had a selection wheel and still had the inventory screen. The wheel is the quick select for consoles/gamepad players instead of the numbered hotbar that the PC mouse/kb interface has.

Speaking of which I hope Mankind Divided also has a separate mouse/keyboard UI for the PC port.

Good point. I think the PC port is being done by the same company that did HR so hopefully we see something more involved than a wheel.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vending machines are great. When you have to defend the room in Montreal while waiting for the funicular elevator it can be tricky non-lethally. However you can simply block all entrances with vending machines and just sit there while waiting for the elevator and no one can get near you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Vending machines are great. When you have to defend the room in Montreal while waiting for the funicular elevator it can be tricky non-lethally. However you can simply block all entrances with vending machines and just sit there while waiting for the elevator and no one can get near you.

That's hilarious. I think I parked a turret there, which was equally easy.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Jack of Hearts posted:

Mankind Divided gameplay demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEULRQVA6JQ

I'm still in the middle of this, but it's pretty interesting so far. Adam gets a version of the blink power from Dishonored called Icarus Dash. Takedowns are still in stop time. Art direction remains superb. Nothing looks hugely radical, but then, nothing really needs to be, since HR was so drat good.

e: If first impressions hold, it's kind of a shame that they gave Adam wired reflexes/bullet time as an upgrade, but didn't use it as opportunity to reform the melee system. I'm imagining a system where takedowns could be handled via slo-mo QTE, with increasing complexity if you're trying to chain takedowns together, and penalties for failing e.g. the takedown fails, or it succeeds but alerts people nearby. I don't even like QTEs, but it'd add a layer of complexity beyond "press button, time stops and man falls down."

But everyone is a critic. Super psyched.

Thanks for posting this. Seems like more of the good stuff from HR, but jesus, bring back Malik. That new pilot makes me :smith: ...

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
All those cutscenes with Jensen doing badass hand to hand combat makes me want to have Arkham style combat in this game :( not gonna happen, but it would at least be better melee than push button, man fall down.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lechtansi posted:

All those cutscenes with Jensen doing badass hand to hand combat makes me want to have Arkham style combat in this game :( not gonna happen, but it would at least be better melee than push button, man fall down.

Oh my god. If you could play a Deus Ex game as a First person shooter, first person stealth, third person stealth, or third person brawler, that would be amazing. it would be basically impossible to balance those radically different forms of gameplay, though. But Shadow of Morder is like, halfway there, so...

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Holy crap, a lot of you must be OCD hoarders. All I needed in DXHR was the combat rifle, pistol, and tazer. You don't need to pick up excessive amounts of poo poo you aren't gonna use. Do you really need those large tubs of protein when you have a bajillion snack bars? Or ammo (and guns) you use rarely? How many grenades and mines do you actually need?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nethack Syndrome. You never know when Jensen is going to have his rings all exploded by a lightning bolt, so you'd better have backups and some kind of waterproof bag in case you fall in a moat too.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Boogle posted:

Holy crap, a lot of you must be OCD hoarders.

So what if I do dump every single thing I find in a giant pile in Jensen's apartment? You got a problem with that? :colbert:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

DeathChicken posted:

Nethack Syndrome. You never know when Jensen is going to have his rings all exploded by a lightning bolt, so you'd better have backups and some kind of waterproof bag in case you fall in a moat too.

Don't eat the Cyber-Cockatrices!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Inventory tetris is a fun and good thing. It's what makes the whole Deus Ex system of throwing far more resources at you than you can possibly use work so well - you're limited in what you can carry, and different things limit you in different ways.

This is what is important to keep in mind. The limited inventory system is integrated into how the game works, instead of just being a poor design choice because realism. Eidos actually put some thought into why Deus Ex has a limited inventory.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
For me, the essence of original Deus Ex for me is weighing known risk against an unknown reward. Do you really want to spend three lockpicks on that safe? Can you really trust Everett, Tong, and Daedalus with the entire world? I never got that playing Human Revolution. It's why I don't like the hacking minigame. A potential alarm can ditched out when it's going badly, and risking that 250 Smooth Operator bonus you might not get anyway doesn't outweigh the hundreds more hacking experience you get. I suspect a lot of people complaining about being disincentivized from playing lethally don't necessarily want to play lethally, but they do want to experience that kind of decision making.

Hobo By Design fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 30, 2015

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I'm newcomer to Deus Ex. Read in magazines and other stuff that the original Deus Ex was (and apparently still is) one of the best PC games all the time, but haven't actually played the series.

Recently I watched the Mankind Divided 25 minutes gameplay video and the narrator (developer?) mentioned that you can finish the game without killing anyone. He also mentioned that you can choose any style you prefer, be it combat, stealth, or social. The video presented stealth style first, then switch to combat and kill every NPCs on the way. Since he mentioned that player can go on without killing, I'm curious whether you can walk in casually then talk your way out of those guard NPCs to meet the "leader" guy near the end of the video, without having to sneak around?

He mentioned "social mode" which I assume talking to NPCs to gather clues but he didn't show it in the video.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Social mode is just dialogue boss fights. You have to respond in certain ways to what the character is saying in order to get info/whatever you need from them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AHungryRobot posted:

Social mode is just dialogue boss fights. You have to respond in certain ways to what the character is saying in order to get info/whatever you need from them.

This was in Human Revolution too, but only like once. Glad Eidos is improving on it.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This was in Human Revolution too, but only like once. Glad Eidos is improving on it.

Actually more like 7 times.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

Thanks. So no persuading or intimidating those NPC guards I guess?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AHungryRobot posted:

Actually more like 7 times.

Look, I have not played Human Revolution in a while, but I don't remember 7 boss fights where you could talk your way out of them. Explain this to me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

I said come in! posted:

Look, I have not played Human Revolution in a while, but I don't remember 7 boss fights where you could talk your way out of them. Explain this to me.

Not "boss fights" per se, but interactions that provided an alternate or better way of going about things. Darrow, Taggart, Sarif, Haas, Sanders, Sandoval, Federova...all had to be carefully handled in conversation unless you cheesed it with CASIE.

Most are kinda "Boss Fights" in that they're Big Deal scenes that aren't avoidable. Haas is probably the only completely optional one in the group.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I said come in! posted:

In Human revolution pretty sure it wasn't any of the bosses, just NPC's like the police office on guard at the desk who you could talk into letting you in, or the thug guy who you could persuade to give you the address of where the girl who was kidnapped was, or persuading the 'bar man' to let you talk to Tong. So yeah mostly not about avoiding combat, more just about getting info to make life easy or open up new pathways.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

There's a dialog battle with Federova? I thought she just appeared to gently caress you up and that was that.

I'm on my either first or second replay, and just finished the boss battle against her. I don't have the CASIE aug this time, but I'm fairly certain I did on my first run through, since I used it with the Hengsha brothel's guard on the rooftop.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Section 31 posted:

Thanks. So no persuading or intimidating those NPC guards I guess?

Most of the time guards will just go hostile when they spot you, so being nonlethal is just not getting spotted, but it's almost guaranteed that there'll be at least one instance of being able to peacefully walk in through the front door of something you need to infiltrate because you lied to the guards.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

There's a dialog battle with Federova? I thought she just appeared to gently caress you up and that was that.

I think he mixed up with that agent (Mengyao?) who knew about the Hyron Project (the one where you can get the Ladies Man achievement)?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is the Director's Cut worth playing through or should I just play the original again?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Is the Director's Cut worth playing through or should I just play the original again?

It's not as solid a port but the improvements, especially to the boss fights, definitely make it worth playing over the original.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ragingsheep posted:

If you haven't played the missing link yet, and you do own the Directors Cut you might as well.
If you played Missing Link and hated it, stick with the original.

I think most performance bugs are ironed out, so the only thing the DC has going for it is all the preorder items being placed in somewhat logical places, and having Missing Link packaged in.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I've played both the original and missing link. I wanted to see the new improved boss fights but I've heard that they weren't that good and that DC was rather buggy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

I've played both the original and missing link. I wanted to see the new improved boss fights but I've heard that they weren't that good and that DC was rather buggy.

They're significantly better than the original boss fights because you're given means of dealing with the bosses that aren't "just pump a million bullets into them" but if you're expecting a social/dialogue way of beating them, that's not an option. They just redesigned the boss areas to add stuff like turrets and other environmental stuff you can use to kill them.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The Director's Commentary in the Director's Cut is real good but kinda hosed in that there's no indicator of where they are (though part of the fun for me is going around searching for the various commentary junk)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You could be seen on a stealth run as long as you knocked the guards out before they got to an alarm panel. Alternatively you could disable the alarm panels in an area and then go knock out the guards.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Zedd posted:

I think most performance bugs are ironed out.
Most of DC bugs were never fixed..

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SinineSiil posted:

Most of DC bugs were never fixed..
Well seems I fell for the Illuminati propaganda. :tinfoil:
Glad I have the original release and Missing Link in that case. :v:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

OneDeadman posted:

The Director's Commentary in the Director's Cut is real good but kinda hosed in that there's no indicator of where they are (though part of the fun for me is going around searching for the various commentary junk)

There is an indicator, though. When you find a node for commentary, there's a little "incoming message" icon and a short static-y sound. There's no way to skip the commentary running through cutscenes though, other than disabling it completely.

I love the one where they talk about the dancing guy in the Detroit subway station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The beep is once you've found them. There is no way to know where a node is in particular besides just wandering around.

• Locked thread