Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Jesus, that is an OP. Bravo.

Jumped in on the Green Man Gaming deal, can't wait to play this, because it was probably my favorite showing at E3 this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

They are still working on argumentation of the sun and earth.

No no, the sun is augmented in that pic. Duh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

3AM is like the worst time, it's not too late that you might as well just sleep on it, but it's enough that you're probably going to be playing for like 3 hours before realizing you didn't get any sleep and are now too retarded from sleep deprivation to go to work .

I hate you, Valve

Fixed that for you.

Solution: come home and sleep, wake up at 3 and power through until you have to go to work.

Welcome to sleeping like a doctor.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just out of curiosity, a lot of articles i'm reading say that the original DX didn't do so hot commercially. Is that true? Why?

The original didn't do that well initially, no, despite loving outstanding reviews. Part of it was that the game had relatively high system requirements and poor performance unless you had a pretty up to date system for the time. Mostly it was just the nature of the industry and the role of the FPS at the time... the people that played FPSes didn't care about a deep story driven RPG, they wanted the next Quake 2 (because they didn't know any better, for the most part) and more importantly it didn't have multiplayer, which was basically the major feature any FPS at that time had to have. The people that liked RPGs dismissed it because it was an FPS and therefore it clearly would have to be shallow and twitchy. It was only after several months of word of mouth and rave reviews and awards (game came out in June-ish, awards were all doled out in December or later) that it suddenly showed up on people's radar.

Kind of a shame (What a shame, if you will), but it happens. Pretty often, unfortunately. Chalk it up to video game sales and marketing being short sighted and mostly out of touch with the reality of the industry on the consumer level.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 22, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

drat! I really regret getting the normal edition on steam. I want to upgrade to the augmented edition.

Why? Am I the only person that thought the Augmented edition looked sorta lame?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So did Warren Specter have anything to do with this game?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Raskolnikov posted:

Dude sounds jealous. :)

"Uh, I was going to do that. Honest."

No, he sounds like a guy that's glad his crowning achievement franchise is still alive and relevant.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So to sate my appetite for awesome, I decided to bust out the old game. Thing is, since I've played DX1 like 20 times and never played 2, I decided to remedy that oversight.

What have I done. :gonk:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I can't actually play yet, but I booted it up to see how it runs... it defaulted to DX11 on my it-2500k (OCed to 4.4 GHz) and GTX 560Ti with pretty much everything on except for DOF... even MSAA. I'm thinking "this probably won't run that well, it's a port" then I boot it up and am getting a solid framerate (is there a way to check exact numbers without an outside program?) throughout the whole beginning sequence. :monocle: That's even nicer performance than The Witcher 2!

Also, motherfuckin' Bob Page in the opening video, same voice actor and all! :allears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh my god, when I first met Jensen's boss and the UNATCO theme started playing, I about wet myself.

Does it seem like they basically punted on the 3D model acting? I think back to Bloodlines, where the characters actually move like people when you talk to them- the Prince holding his head high and looking down his nose at you, the seductress looking at you through her eyelashes, the angry anarch baring her teeth and snarling at you- but as far as I can tell, the models in Human Revolution just sort of run idle animations while the lip sync is working. That's a little disappointing. Not gamebreaking by any means, but disappointing.

They're keeping it true to the original. :smugbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This is why you preload over the weekend before a major release.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

tooooooo bad posted:

Does the pc version have gamepad support?

Yes, though why in god's name you'd want to use one over kb+mouse is beyond me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

So what's the goon consensus on Human Revolution so far? Worth the wait? Is it more classic Deus Ex than Invisible War, or is it it's own beast, and is that a good thing or a bad one?

It doesn't have a prod. How am I supposed to prod with the prod?!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Is there any way to disable mouse acceleration (or something similar)? Enjoying the game so far but the controls feel really floaty or something and it's distracting.

Turn off vsync.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

canyon.mid posted:

I see you're running an Alienware laptop - have you tried looking in your BIOS settings to see if there's an option to turn off the Optimus hybrid mode?

You should also be able to just go into your power profiles and dictate how your video card works.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Paino posted:

With pretty much 90% of pc users complaining about the game running like poo poo/doing weird things I suppose IGN was right in postponing the review. Is the pc version a trainwreck? Please tell me it isn't. :(

It's not, I had no trouble with it. Load times aren't even that bad, god forbid you have to wait 20-30 seconds for a level to load. And I'm just running on a SATA3 7200.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tecman posted:

Also, this reminds me. Been reading the Tech forums and some claim that SSAO on PC is kind of hosed. Can someone clarify if they get SSAO in their PC version? What I mean is this:

See how the first shot has SSAO behind the character's arm, and the second doesn't? Yet both have the effect on the background elevator prop? Do you get the full effect or just the partial one? Thanks.

I will double check when I get home later and play the living shot out of this all evening, but when I tooled around this morning I feel like it was working okay. This was on a GTX 560Ti, if that makes a difference.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

For the person asking about SSAO not showing up properly in the PC version, you were right... it's showing up SLIGHTLY on a few models in a few situations, but mostly it's not there, definitely not as pronounced as that screenshot of Megan. Weird.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

slev posted:

I'd say getting the punch through walls augmentation is worth it since I have already found two praxis kits that seem like they can only be gotten with it.

Wait, seriously? I figured it would be sorta useless without being able to first see through said walls. I'm still on the Police Station, but I've got my legs upgraded a bit and was debating what to go for next.... Silent Running, while drat handy, isn't as super handy as I thought it would be.

EDIT: Total aside, for the guy complaining about the lack of retro music, go walk around Detroit and listen to the punks whistle as they spraypaint the walls...

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 24, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gently caress you guys for making me want to start over to get the revolver and upgrade that instead of the 10mm pistol... i assume you can't their a silencer on the revolver, right?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

keyframe posted:

Nothing beats the pistol with silencer + laser sight + armor piercing rounds. Headshot kills all day erryday.

This is what I'm using and thus far it's great... oh, who am I kidding, I just sneak around stun gunning and punching dudes in the face.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 24, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

I hate the goatee. It looks like he went into surgery and woke up with a furry triangle on his chin.

It's a beard spear, or a speard, if you will. His facial hair is augmented. :smugbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

5er posted:

Malik, for fucks sake hold still when I'm talking to you.

I'm getting contact ADHD just constantly watch her jitter and stare about like some malfunctioning Disney theme park automaton.

It's all that ecstasy she takes. :ssh:

(But no, seriously, I haven't had this problem at all?)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WMain00 posted:

That's surprisingly cheap. A little worryingly cheap. Not real cheap.

It's cotton and nylon, not leather or even pleather. It's a ripoff in that case.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

D-Pad posted:

Nobody has an extra onlive code? :suicide:

I bought it on steam, what it's this OnLive thing everyone's going on about?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Old Guadalajara posted:

This: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433123

It's all over the news man.

Nevermind, Awful app was being dumb and showing the wrong post.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

A Violence Gang posted:

Yes, you are free to dick around more afterwards.

More importantly, is there any way to keep all the poo poo I've got stashed in my apartment, or should I just start selling off these other guns I can't carry?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So is there any value to stockpiling weapons in my apartment? I'm on the FEMA warehouse and have a rocket launcher, a PELP gun, and a fuckload of grenades/ammo/candy bars stashed in there because my inventory is still too drat small. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I'm still in Detroit, on the FEMA Warehouse... I saw a QR code on a vending machine, so I figured what the gently caress, why not, and scanned it with my cellphone...

:aaaaa:

This game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I've found one major flaw to the game that annoys me to no end:

You can't pickup bodies and toss them, (like DX1 and Thief) only drag them. Even with the heavy lifting arm upgrade. They could have at least made that upgrade let you pick people up and move quickly with them... it makes total sense, and it wouldn't be particularly broken or anything. It would also make that mod even better, though it's already pretty amazingly useful as is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kazvall posted:

You totally can throw bodies? Hold e on them, aim towards something, and right or left click. You might need the picking up heavy poo poo aug. But, god damnit I've throw a body into a guy before.

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

You can toss bodies far with the arm strength upgrade.

But you can't pick them up, sling them over your shoulder, and run into a vent with them faster than you could have dragged them. That's my point. I want to be able to knock a dude out, pick him up, jump up on a dumpster and then up onto the roof of a building and leave him up there, or knock a dude out, grab the body, run over to a vent with silent running, duck in there and dump him in a wider bit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

unleash the unicorn posted:

No it's the tunnels where you get to the lab. The part where you first encounter security cameras and the tutorial for the pops up.

Don't get seen by the cameras?

You also lose the Ghost bonus if they find a body. It won't automatically set off the Hostile alarm state, but they will be in that "Alarmed" state which is normally okay if they, say, catch a glimpse of you and walk over to investigate. The former ruins your Ghost bonus, the latter does not.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

unleash the unicorn posted:

I didn't get seen. I mentioned that. It's already active when I enter the area. That's why I'm asking whether the stunned fellows might have activated it.

Also, does "Alarmed" ruin the "Ghost" bonus or not? Last two posters seem to disagree.

There's a difference between "Alarmed" on your radar and the actual alarms going off.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Rookersh posted:

So, is there like, a treasure trove of weapon upgrades I'm missing?

Just finished my second playthrough, and both times put every upgrade I found in to the same weapon, neither time did I get close to maxing them out, and I still haven't found a single RoF mod.

Really? There's two RoF mods in the Alice Pods alone... One in a side room on the second floor sold by the arms dealer, and another above it that you can get by punching through a walk on the third floor. There's also another one in the sewers behind a wall, I think, and one in Detroit in the gang territory somewhere, as I recall.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

lohli posted:

This game is awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm stuck on a side thing in the TYM building... When you get up to the second area, there's a downed power line and you have to move some boxes to get up to a ladder. in the previous room there's a few cages with lockers in them, one of which has a PEPS and the breaker switch. There's also a vent in this area and one spur of it leads to a little fan room with a dead guy with a data pad and what looks to be a weapon upgrade above you, but the vent that leads up there is too high to jump up, even with the leg aug. The vents are also too small to shove a box through to get up there... how the hell do I get to that guy? I can't seem to find a way up there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

EMP shielding makes the second boss fight easy as gently caress. I just ran around laying EMP mines and shooting the power generators, along with a few double shotguns to the face. She dropped in like less than a minute. Even easier than the first boss.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

My experience with the second boss was pretty breezy, too. I had the radar upgrade so I was able to see her as soon as she materialized. I then filled her with so much lead she probably left divots in the pavement when she ran away again. Never even knew about the generators.

I found out mostly by accident... I set a mine off by one and it was red and flashing, so I tried shooting it and it exploded and killed her. :haw:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Are there any other quests the second time you go to Detroit other than the 2 you get basically doing the main story stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wiseblood posted:

Amazon should have sent you a code for it.

I didn't get any preorder bonuses either, but I ordered from Greenman Gaming. I was under the impression that everyone got the Tong mission?

• Locked thread