Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That's one hell of an OP. Good job!

We've only got a few more days until Deus Ex releases!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Tec man, that's some dedication. I do think it reflects how Deus Ex has so much coverage in the media though.

Honestly, its almost a bit too much... I've started to see boring level design (up in the floof levels) and I'm starting to question my interest in the game.

Also the green man discount... its as if Eidos Montreal doesn't trust in their shipped game.

Please talk me out of these negative thoughts. I love Deus Ex.

I don't think there is a boring level in the leak. The levels are expansive and have multiple routes to take to complete objectives. Not to mention there is a lot of ways to creatively alter the environment to get places, like stacking boxes and so on. There is a mini-sidequest at Sarif HQ with a lot of level crawling that you gotta a little more perceptive than usual to complete.

Generally you can tell pretty early on if there is bad level design.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 20, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tecman posted:

Just when you think the game can't get even more awesome: Holy gently caress that hidden "door" and what's behind it (Obviously from the Leaked Version, Spoilers)

Awesome. Where is that area located exactly?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Crap. In the leak, 1-pip-only regen is pretty terrible. It almost makes having any more than 2 energy pips worthless, considering the lack of resources in the game that can refill them.

Something like "1 pip regens in 10 seconds + 10-20 second delay before next pip starts to regen, continue until all pips full" would have been perfect, and it would have actually made investing in more than 2 pips worth it without, in my opinion, being overpowered.

I agree entirely, hell they could go the full mile and make each pip after the 1st take 60 or more seconds to regenerate and it'd still be a better system than what we've got.

There are many times in the leak where I'll just not be using energy at all for pretty long lengths of time, but still stuck to one energy pip. It feels like they really underpowered the system. Also the lack of a dedicated melee button kinda hurts.

quote:

The problem is that the single bar regens faster than that, and if the regen rate slowed down massively after the first one, it'd be faster to just use the first bar over and over.

And that's fine and balanced, but how does it make sense when I'm just walking around a police station or the streets of detroit does my energy not come back? Is Adam Jensen perpetually tired until he eats a energy bar? It's just dumb to use all your energy up and then potentially be stuck well over two hours before you find a energy recharge resource to get more pips back, which are merely going to go away as it is.

As it stands there doesn't seem to be a reason to have a full energy upgrade, other than to trap noobies.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oh man. In a few days we'll be beating the crap outta criminals, thugs, pedestrians who believe in 9/11 conspiracies, and robots. I'm playing through the leak right now to figure out what way I want to throw my first few praxis points. I'm thinking 5 hacking, then icarus landing, then stealth.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It doesn't help you only get single bullets from looting sometimes. The SMG for instance is impossible to use because finding ammo for it is so hard. Coupled with the fact that the stacks for ammunition other than the pistol are too low.

I really doubt the same low ammo drops will exist in the retail game. I'll be honestly surprised if looting a guy with SMG ammo doesn't give you a minimum of 15 bullets or so. Automatic weapons by their nature require a lot more ammo than semi-automatic weapons.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 8, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm tired of seeing the apologizes and non-apologizes of the developers for adding regenerating health at the expense of other late 90's and early 2000's holdovers.

Anyone who is against regenerating health on principal is a sperglord who's opinion you genuinely don't have to consider.

Regenerating health is unrealistic but it's a great game balance feature because you can always expect the player to have full health and don't have to come up with convoluted ways to recover it. You don't have to design "oh well what if they're at 50% here when they need at least 75%. So it helps simplify things for other more complex and fun features. Not to say the system is perfect, or should be in every game- it's just a really reliable way to balance out a game. Not to mention Deus Ex 3 pretty much hit regenerating health perfectly for the type of game they have. 3rd person cover systems have never been bad either so that's another thing they need to stop apologizing for.

I want to write a letter asking them to stop apologizing for being good developers.

Excluding all of this- most players probably had the health regeneration aug in Deus Ex 1, which was more or less just regenerating health you have to flick on.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

I'm sure plenty of people did. People will complain about anything, particularly in video games.

Speaking of which it's 72 degrees in this room but I like it at 75. loving AIR CONDITIONER. Doing it's job too well. Piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 10, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Woozy posted:

What they should have done was attached health regen to findable and buyable "ammo" that kicked in automatically to repair damaged tissue, each charge enough to restore the healthbar to a full 100% (so, say after two separate wounds that dropped you by 50% each, now matter how long it's been between the two encounters, the charge would be depleted), and added an aug system that made the charges more efficient--say 150/190/220%--so that players who had trouble hanging on to their health could make a relatively cheap investment in praxis points to ensure that they always had regen available whereas players who felt they could do without could either take a lower rating of the aug or just rely on being able to find additional regen packs in the field.

Or just fix energy and tie it to that. Really whatever.

That sounds infinitely more complex than what we've got. Regenerating health in Deus Ex 3 really works well. It's slow- so you can't be reckless but you don't have to hunt around for health items or pack your already small inventory.

Not to mention it seems to have been overlooked in this thread but Deus Ex 1 had regenerating health, and it was extremely overpowered when you got it to max power. You could wade into any battle with it on and not worry about dying unless you got an unlucky rocket to the head. It is functionally the same system we have in Deus Ex 3. The only difference is you turn it on and need energy. Not to mention it was far more powerful.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 10, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The more I think of augmentations the more it brings me back to the first game.

I wonder- does Adam have a kill code? Or a way for Sarif Industries to control him beyond that?

Gotta have this drat game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Adam doesn't really react to a message you can find in the LIMB clinic: Adam only needed his chest replaced, and one arm and leg were damaged beyond repair, but Sarif had his doctors remove both his arms and legs and replace them, along with an eye.

That would give plenty of grievance to "I never asked for this" choice Adam to work against Sarif, and that's just what I plan to do.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I've been mostly blackout with this so far. Was a little disappointed seeing the cover system at E3 since it made me think "consoleitis." The OP has lit my fires again though

My favorite moment from the original game: getting offered mines by a gang boss to off his rivals. And upon receiving payment from the gang boss I gassed him with his own presents and did him in too.

Don't worry, the cover mechanics work really well. You can do SWAT turns between cover too- and even at long range. Adam will roll into cover. It's really cool looking and adds a lot of dramatic tension when you're in a heavy firefight. Also the AI is "smart enough" to be tricked. You can get enemy's attention and sneak into a flanking spot, and the enemy will think you're hiding out where you first got their attention.

It also helps the fact that enemies in large groups do work in teams. They'll have some guys stay back and lay down covering fire, while a few others move up to your location. I've died many times because of this.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 11, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tecman posted:

Holy Jesus gently caress at them showing "that". It was an amazing little spoiler and I am still kicking myself in the balls for not screen-capping it. :stare:

I don't care about spoilers. Could you message me or post the spoiler?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Here I was expecting something shocking. That's not a huge spoiler.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

Quick not-spoilery question: Where does the leak store saves and will said saves be likely to work with the full version?

I can't answer the first but I can certainly tell you, no they will not work with the full version.

Why would they? The leak is 5+ months old.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wishing and hoping?

Why would you not want to go back and do all that poo poo over again? The game is going to look way better, play way better, and the decisions you make will be for real real this time.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Can't wait for the plethora of "I didn't ask for this" jokes that will be incoming.

They're tearing this world apart.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Say, are there any ingame pre-order bonuses for getting the normal version on Steam? They don't seem to be listed.

Edit: I've also decided. I'm going to play my first Jensen as non-aggressive as I can. Full stealth and hacking build focusing on non-lethal weapons.

That being said I'm going to carry around a revolver so I can repay Jason Namir in kind and put a bullet in his head.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 14, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

emoticon posted:

You won't have a choice because of the mandatory boss fights :ssh:

I know that. That's why I'm going to be a complete stealth character but carry around a revolver so I can shoot Jason Namir in the head, just like he shot Jensen.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I really appreciate you stepping in Happy Blue Cow. The level design is something I really enjoyed from Deus Ex 3's leak/demo so far. You need to give a pat on the back to whoever did the level design on the police station and tell them a random person on the internet gave them an A+.

As I tell all my friends, I think you guys may very well have made a game that is superior to Deus Ex 1, and this is coming from a guy who makes sure to replay DX1 once a year.

quote:

Without stealing the spotlight from HBC, because he's doing a great job covering everything else, I can try and answer any questions regarding the story-telling side of the things, or more specifically side-quests in general.

Oh awesome. I gotta say the most prominent sidequests in the leak are really good so far. If that type of quality is maintained through the entire game it's going to be a pretty incredible experience. Whoever did the Meagan investigation needs a "You're a winner" sticker. Not to mention the one who did the Nu-poz investigation, my only complaint for that one is you can't talk the punks out of leaving the blackmailer alone.

1) How hard of a challenge is it to put in these optional sidequests that really tie the story together, and give players incentive to actually do them?, while remaining optional I've played the leak through about 5 times now and just my last run I actually talked to Zeke Sanders this time even though I've let him off the hook a majority of the time. I've been kicking myself in the head because of it.

I mean, I'm sure if you don't investigate Meagan's death for her mother, you'll find out more incidental evidence through the main storyline that her death is not so clean-cut and the evidence is suppressed. But you're going to lose out on oodles of character and plot development by refusing to do this questline.

Does it bother you when you do all these sidequests a lot of people are just going to ignore them, even though their payoff is worth it?

2) This is kind of a big spoiler question for dudeman and HPC. If you can't answer it now, I'd really like a PM or to go back on it after the game is released.

This is a genuine question, but also kind of a criticism. Who's idea was it to "reveal" who Patient X is so early in the game? It feels a little disjointed because you get an idea of what's going on in the very first room of the game. Then you go to the LIMB clinic and if you explore around it more or less is spelled out for you what's going on. Why not keep it more of a secret until later down the road? Don't get me wrong though, it's deeply appreciated you're rewarding players like me who are investigative and paying attention.

I would think after reading the books at the Limb Clinic, if Adam were real person he'd march up to Sarif's office, throw the book on the table, and be all: "David, what the gently caress is this I'm reading?" It just feels weird from a story and narrative perspective that you the player, read something, but Adam is not.

3) Another quick question: On an average day how much do you developers say "I didn't ask for this", "I don't even know who's side I'm on", "What a shame", and other choice quotes from the Deus Ex series?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 16, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Doublepost.

Two things: 1. Get someone high up to send a memo to all the developers to stop apologizing for good gameplay decisions like regenerating health and third person cover. Especially since these features are so well-implemented in the game itself.

2. I think we can all agree to pretend Deus Ex 2 never happened or was non-canon.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 16, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Woozy posted:

The shear volume of spoof videos already out based on the leak, and the fact that some of them are even funny, is proof that this game is proper DX sequel.

Seriously. Not to mention we've only got the hilarity from Detriot. No doubt there is going to be a lot more spoof videos.

Like this for instance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oj96OVxjJk&feature=related

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The moment I was done with the leak, I pre-ordered the game. It's probably similar for a lot of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7AG7zpCnCg&feature=related

I'll never stop dancing.....

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

What's the consensus on pre-orders here? I imagine we're talking majority PC

I upgraded my PSU and to a GTX 570 to make sure I could run this game full settings at 60 FPS. Anything less is unacceptable. When I'm going to be beating the crap out of politicians, criminals, rich people, and mercenaries I want the best blur settings GOD DAMMIT.

So yes PC.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 16, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke anymore.

Sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet. I did upgrade my PSU and to a GTX 570 to play this at max settings though.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wait, they're maintaining the same ammo system from the leak? That's absurd. It makes automatic weapons fairly worthless. I agree with the decision to give low numbers of bullets per enemy but it really should scale based on the ammo you find. The SMG in Deus Ex 3 is pretty worthless because at most you're going to have around 20-50 bullets for it and it tends to go through that fairly quickly.

There is also a psychological element to never having a full clip of ammunition. It makes the player not to want to use a weapon. Not to mention if you're a stealth player who tries to avoid combat you're pretty much never going to have any ammunition.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 17, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What I remember most about Halflife 2 is they delayed the game literally a few days before it was supposed to be released. Then the leak of HL2 happened and it was pretty clear they were no-where near a release candidate. Why they didn't do it sooner is beyond me. Then HL2 was a gigantic tech demo, and the story/actual game didn't start until Episode 1.

I'm having some trouble. Now, obviously it's the leaked version so it's incomplete and -probably- won't happen for the release version, but I recently re-installed Windows 7. I got the leak when I was stuck in windows XP. Windows XP ran it really poorly, but the visuals looked right. When I try to run it's windows 7 version it's really dark. So dark infact I have to turn the luminosity all the way up to full.

Any idea what it is beyond just it being a leak? Edit: Ah it appears it doesn't like DX-11 settings.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 18, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Al! posted:

This just in: at the end of DXHR you kill God.

:smug: No, that's at the end of Deus Ex.

I have to agree, it's too bad they put in forced boss battles. There really should be ways to avoid them, that are inherently more difficult than the fight itself. Especially since that's one of the criticisms of the game so far is lackluster boss battles.

But then again, since 2003 boss battles have been pretty lackluster.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

There is a way to defeating Barrett that doesn't require bullets, and it really is The Best Way™. :ssh:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wonder, when the game is released on monday night ( though technically tuesday morning ) is a new thread being put up?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Isn't this game being unlocked at 12:00 a.m?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

From what I remember of Deus Ex 1, both Paul and JC are clones. JC is a clone of Paul. You see their tanks at the very end of the game. You also see Alex Denton's clone tank at Area 51 as well.

Paul is alive in Deus Ex Human Revolution. He was born in 2018.

J.C. is Paul's clone, and is born in 2029.

Edit: I hope in a sequel they reveal the name in J.C.'s initials.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 21, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

drat! I really regret getting the normal edition on steam. I want to upgrade to the augmented edition.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Why? Am I the only person that thought the Augmented edition looked sorta lame?

Because Eidos Montreal needs my god drat money.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Rookersh posted:

I wonder how they'll handle player choice on the ending :allears:

I mean, this is a prequel no? It has to end with JC and Paul getting made/Lady Liberty getting blown up, Tong and all the other major players surviving, and MJ12 not getting fought. There are specific people that have to reach very specific places, and its not like Adam can really modify all that much in the end, without altering the first games story. Unless of course they just make the plot/ending so it has nothing to do with the other two games besides minor references or a forced choice later on.

There is still 25 years to go between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex 1. The developers constantly bring up the fact that the world can change in a day.

Also from the achievement list it looks like Adam does tackle a stand-alone conspiracy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oh wow. I just started a new game because I wanted to see if you could do the hardest difficulty with the item highlights on and whatnot. So I'm in Meagan's office:

If you look around the office there are some stuff you can use. There is a little police car toy. Click it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Just watched the launch trailer- wow I'd really like to get a copy of the music at the end of it. The remixed theme of the game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Got my game all preloaded - safe to say this will unlock at 12 EST?

3 A.M. EST.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think after this, their ambition needs to go further. If they make a solid sequel to Human Revolution, they'll have earned the right and need to go for the gold medal and remake Deus Ex 1. Reimagine it even. Updated story, but bringing back the old characters we know and love, while adding new ones.

I absolutely admit I just want to see J.C. Denton nano-punch the everliving poo poo outta a guy.

"My pimp hand is..augmented."

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I thought about that as I was typing it. It's true they would be more intellectually, and narratively constrained- but I think if they said "To hell with this" and changed everything about the story from the bottom up, a completely new experience in itself they could really pull it off. Look at Game of Thrones the show. It follows the book almost tit for tat, but it's made some choices of it's own that really stand out. In the show, Drogo kills a guy who insults him and his wife by tearing his tongue out of his throat. In the book, that guy is still alive. It was a great scene that showed the viewer Drogo's violence and barbarity, and how his hubris and his wife's trust ended up working against them.

For real though I just want an updated Deus Ex to see J.C. do some spectacular takedowns.

quote:

My fear, personally, is that they're going to pull a Bioshock/Bioshock 2 and move Montreal onto some other project while handing the next Deus Ex game to some other Square-Enix studio for a quick turnaround cash-in.

That's probably what's going to happen. At least everyone will hate it and force them to stop making it.

• Locked thread