Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This is the megathread for discussion relating to macOS and Mac software, including announcements and questions about purchasing/recommendations. If your post is unique or interesting enough to warrant its own topic or begins to derail the thread too much, by all means please feel free to make a dedicated thread in SH/SC. This megathread is generally maintained as a resource to consolidate small and frequently-asked questions.

Rules:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Frequently-requested Mac software:

Email clients:
Safari add-ons: Storage visualizers:
Application uninstallers:
Disk cloning:
Old fashioned IM clients:
IRC clients:
Multimedia:
BitTorrent:
File compression:
FTP clients:
Image editing:
Text editing:
Productivity:
RSS Readers:
System utilities:
Misc:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 7, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I make a bootable installation disk for High Sierra? How do you turn off the "hold key to get symbols" thing that was adopted from iOS?
    In Terminal, run:
    code:
    defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool NO
    You might have to restart any open apps.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

By the way, go ahead and talk about Lion now. I don't care about the NDA. It's July 20 somewhere, right?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

By the way, go ahead and talk about Lion now. I don't care about the NDA. It's July 20 somewhere, right?

It's 48 minutes past midnight, and I still can't download Lion. Apple is loving us again. :saddowns:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Reminder that I asked you to put GraphicConverter on that list.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

I feel lame asking a 10.6 question in the shiny new 10.7 thread...

I'm having issues downloading files larger than 4.29GB on my Mini. In particular I'm trying to download the iOS tools and every time I do the file ends up being 4,294,967,295 bytes ( a very suspicious value ) even though the file is listed as 4.61GB on the Apple site. Not surprisingly I'm unable to mount the image. I'm running fully updated 10.6.8 and my drive is formatted as such-
code:
FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G1:

Capacity:	160.04 GB (160,041,885,696 bytes)
  Model:	FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G1                    
  Revision:	00810009
  Serial Number:	        K67HTA329LEM
  Native Command Queuing:	Yes
  Queue Depth:	32
  Removable Media:	No
  Detachable Drive:	No
  BSD Name:	disk0
  Medium Type:	Rotational
  Bay Name:	Lower
  Partition Map Type:	GPT (GUID Partition Table)
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
  Volumes:
  Capacity:	209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
  Writable:	Yes
  BSD Name:	disk0s1
Macintosh HD:
  Capacity:	159.7 GB (159,697,911,808 bytes)
  Available:	114.08 GB (114,080,509,952 bytes)
  File System:	Journaled HFS+
  BSD Name:	disk0s2
  Mount Point:	/
Is there anything on my mac end of things that could be causing this issue? We've actually switched ISPs recently and I had this problem with both providers so I don't think it's on their end and I'm able to download large ISOs on my windows machine.

Here's a screen shot showing that Safari thinks the file is 4.29GB.

fankey fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 19, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Reminder that I asked you to put GraphicConverter on that list.
Okay but I'm gonna use the App Store link.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also, Lion owns.

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

If Lion is only available as a download, that means it's only available as an 'update' in that you have to have SL installed before acquiring Lion via the App Store?

If that is the case, and I want to do a "fresh" install, would it be best to install SL, upgrade to latest version of SL, download "Lion" update and install. Then move over my music library, photo library, apps, etc?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

So when do you guys think Pro Tools and Media Composer are going to be qualified for Lion? :v:

Perhaps more to the point, is Pro Tools 8 ever going to be qualified for Lion or is Avid going to force me to upgrade to 9?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BrokenDynasty posted:

If Lion is only available as a download, that means it's only available as an 'update' in that you have to have SL installed before acquiring Lion via the App Store?

If that is the case, and I want to do a "fresh" install, would it be best to install SL, upgrade to latest version of SL, download "Lion" update and install. Then move over my music library, photo library, apps, etc?
At least for the GM download, there's a DMG inside the package that you can use to boot off of and do a clean install. I'll add this to the FAQ since this is going to come up a lot.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
For RSS readers, I find Reeder to be good.

For those of us who enjoy crosswords, Black Ink is my go to app.

EDIT: Will Lion allow me to do a clean install from the app store?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Oof, hyped about Lion's release tomorrow but I'm going to hold off til the weekend and do a clean install. It wouldn't feel right to have a shiny new OS without wiping everything else clean. :unsmith:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Dunno how many people might need something like this, but subler is a pretty fantastic MP4 muxer if you're trying to get a bunch of H.264 crap into an iOS-native format, complete with movie/TV show database lookup and iTunes compatible tagging. I've been using it to convert a bunch of MKV rips to add to iTunes for 10.5's Home Sharing and it's been amazing for this; I don't really even need to use Air Video much anymore since most of my poo poo was H.264 already, and it'll even convert AC3 to AAC and matrix it into Dolby Pro Logic (or passthru for Apple TV-havers).

e: also, I haven't actually tried this myself, but it looks like if you compile from svn it'll do OCR on DVD VOBSub if you've got a bunch of stuff in that format (I already did this manually with avidemux for my rips :ughh:)

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Cyne posted:

So when do you guys think Pro Tools and Media Composer are going to be qualified for Lion? :v:

Perhaps more to the point, is Pro Tools 8 ever going to be qualified for Lion or is Avid going to force me to upgrade to 9?

I doubt PT8 will ever work with Lion. I tested PT9 today, and the installer (both 9.0 and 9.0.2) crash the first time through, but works if you run it again. 9.0.2 will open, but complain it won't work on 10.7. Updating to 9.0.3 actually removes the .app, so it certainly won't work until Avid updates it.

Other things I've found out this week (we are in the Dev program) is that Lion Server and Open Directory are problematic. If you add an OD master in either Users and Accounts pref pane, or through Directory Utility, it will not actually bind the machine to the domain. Also, after a couple of hours, the OD server will drop out and block AD authentication from working.

I am getting really worried about deploying Lion this fall, but I don't have much of a choice because we are getting new Macs, and we can't buy them until 9/1.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

fankey posted:

I feel lame asking a 10.6 question in the shiny new 10.7 thread...

I'm having issues downloading files larger than 4.29GB on my Mini. In particular I'm trying to download the iOS tools and every time I do the file ends up being 4,294,967,295 bytes ( a very suspicious value ) even though the file is listed as 4.61GB on the Apple site. Not surprisingly I'm unable to mount the image. I'm running fully updated 10.6.8 and my drive is formatted as such-
code:
FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G1:

Capacity:	160.04 GB (160,041,885,696 bytes)
  Model:	FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G1                    
  Revision:	00810009
  Serial Number:	        K67HTA329LEM
  Native Command Queuing:	Yes
  Queue Depth:	32
  Removable Media:	No
  Detachable Drive:	No
  BSD Name:	disk0
  Medium Type:	Rotational
  Bay Name:	Lower
  Partition Map Type:	GPT (GUID Partition Table)
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
  Volumes:
  Capacity:	209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
  BSD Name:	disk0s1
Macintosh HD:
  Capacity:	159.7 GB (159,697,911,808 bytes)
  Available:	114.08 GB (114,080,509,952 bytes)
  File System:	Journaled HFS+
  BSD Name:	disk0s2
  Mount Point:	/
Is there anything on my mac end of things that could be causing this issue? We've actually switched ISPs recently and I had this problem with both providers so I don't think it's on their end and I'm able to download large ISOs on my windows machine.

Here's a screen shot showing that Safari thinks the file is 4.29GB.

Have you tried running fsck on the volume? Reboot your Mac while holding down alt/option, then when the icon for Macintosh HD shows up release that, hold down command-S and hit enter. Follow the prompts (it'll say to type something like "fsck -fy /") and see what happens.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

e: i am an idiot

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Question concerning the multimedia links as I am new to Macs. What's the difference between mplayerx and mplayer OSX extended?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fankey posted:

Other than checking the drive as mentioned above, does this particular file download fine on your Windows machine, or other large files on the Mac? Just wondering if maybe it's just something screwy on their end (or whichever content server you're getting connected to) like an incomplete file.

Space Racist posted:

Oof, hyped about Lion's release tomorrow but I'm going to hold off til the weekend and do a clean install. It wouldn't feel right to have a shiny new OS without wiping everything else clean. :unsmith:
I'll probably wait till new Mac minis come out to start clean again just cause I figure it'll be a pain on this machine. On the other hand I figure I have a lot of crap that I depend on that could break so I'm a bit too paranoid to upgrade in place too :ohdear:.

Guess I can try it out on my old Core Solo upgraded to Core 2 Duo mini in the mean time :v:.

Nonsense posted:

Question concerning the multimedia links as I am new to Macs. What's the difference between mplayerx and mplayer OSX extended?
Different devs, different UI. MplayerX had a fancier UI last I checked, but it had some issues for me that Extended doesn't seem to have a problem with. They're both free so feel free to try them both out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Textual not work on everyone else's 10.7 install? I mean the free one, not the App Store one. Mine just bounces then quits :smith:

I don't really want to switch back to Colloquy but I might for now if the only one that work on 10.7 is the pay version.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Does Textual not work on everyone else's 10.7 install? I mean the free one, not the App Store one. Mine just bounces then quits :smith:

I don't really want to switch back to Colloquy but I might for now if the only one that work on 10.7 is the pay version.
Check Console.app -- more than likely, it's error'd out and printed something there.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Since Lion is only sold online... what happens when I sell my Laptop with Lion installed on it? Does the buyer get Lion, or does it stick with the person who bought it? (me)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

syphon posted:

Since Lion is only sold online... what happens when I sell my Laptop with Lion installed on it? Does the buyer get Lion, or does it stick with the person who bought it? (me)

I imagine it'd be the same as if you sold your Mac and didn't include the OS restore disc. You own the license, but the OS stays installed on their computer.

Also, I can't confirm this since I'm not a developer, but I think Lion reserves a restore partition on the hard drive when it's installed, that way you can restore without an actual disc.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am ridiculously excited for Lion. My first OSX upgrade experience.

I think I am going to copy my home directory an external USB drive and re-install Snow Leopard from scratch, just so I can experience things the way Steve intended me to.

It's like Christmas everyday.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

The "free one"? :raise: I'm guessing you mean the one you get with a paid dev account, free was just a weird way of saying it.

Edit: well I read that completely wrong :doh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 20, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kobayashi posted:

I am ridiculously excited for Lion. My first OSX upgrade experience.

I think I am going to copy my home directory an external USB drive and re-install Snow Leopard from scratch, just so I can experience things the way Steve intended me to.

It's like Christmas everyday.

SWP just said that you should be able to burn the Lion DMG to a disc and do a clean install with that. I'd hold off before you go reinstalling everything.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

japtor posted:

The "free one"? :raise: I'm guessing you mean the one you get with a paid dev account, free was just a weird way of saying it.

Does the "free" Textual only come with the OS X dev program or does it come with iOS dev program too?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
How is bootcamp going to work with Lion? Where will my drivers come from?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Does the "free" Textual only come with the OS X dev program or does it come with iOS dev program too?
The source code is still available on the official site and can be compiled if you have the know-how. I wouldn't be surprised if there are binaries floating around.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FamDav posted:

How is bootcamp going to work with Lion? Where will my drivers come from?

Lion should come with "Boot Camp Assistant", which when run will prompt you to download the necessary files that can then be used to install Windows. The download files will include the drivers necessary to install Windows.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The source code is still available on the official site and can be compiled if you have the know-how. I wouldn't be surprised if there are binaries floating around.

Cool thanks!

Edit: nvm you need xcode 4 and I'm sticking with 3 right now because that's what my books are in.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 20, 2011

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Martytoof posted:

For the people who actually have the App Store version, the Lion version of Textual is getting held up in App Store approval hell. They're releasing preview versions on their newsletter (which requires a screenshot of the App Store or some other proof that you've bought it), but the App Store update's going to be a bit.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Are any of you experiencing memory leaks in Safari in Lion? I cringe when I go to activity monitor and see Safari Web Contents (just going by memory right now) taking 800+ MB of RAM. Makes my 4 GB seem not enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Welcome to the brave new world of sandboxing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Two things: one, bettersnaptool owns bones and should be investigated for any multidisplay user.

Two: the dmg burn trick works on lion final.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Another pretty good email client you can add to the OP if you want is called Postbox you can get a free 30 day trial on their website, but it's also sold on the App Store as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Not sure that this has an answer, but Vuze on 10.7 will not transfer any data. It manages to open connections but then "stalls".

I've tried switching to the 32 bit JRE, and installing a Java 7 beta. Any ideas for something else to try?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Not sure that this has an answer, but Vuze on 10.7 will not transfer any data. It manages to open connections but then "stalls".

I've tried switching to the 32 bit JRE, and installing a Java 7 beta. Any ideas for something else to try?

Use Transmission since it's not a pile of java trash.