Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can confirm a similar phenomenon on my wired aluminium keyboard, but now I can't duplicate it to save my life. It seems to come on every time as intended :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

My wired keyboard will ignore caps lock if you press it too fast. My normal typing is enough to consistently trigger it when I want it, but I can recreate it by tapping it especially quickly.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's definitely a timed thing. Quick taps don't trigger it.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a timed thing. Quick taps don't trigger it.

Cool, at least I know now. It's been driving me nuts. At least typing like a Grandma will fix it.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
You learn something new everyday.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

It's a feature! http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1578

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have a previous revision Mac Mini -- any idea why after installing Lion my wireless Logitech mouse would snap to a point near the center of the screen every second or so?

I have installed Logitech Control Center, made no difference.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if you use your caps lock key regularly, you're probably a grandma writing an email forward anyway, so there you go.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
On the plus side, now I know why when I'm typing and am sure I've overshot the "a" key, I haven't looked at the screen to find a half-sentence in caps. It's a pretty nice feature.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Have apple turned off mobile me or something? I've decided to stick with it, rather than iCloud, because we're dependent on the keychain and mailbox sync which apparently icloud wont do. I actually don't care about any features other than those two since the keychain keeps our iphone signing poo poo working across multiple clients on the various desktops, and the mail stuff is necessary of course because its the entire bloody reason people use mobile me.

But nothings loving syncing anymore :(

AfricanBurrito
May 12, 2005

"I bagged this one in the Serengeti!"

I ended up ditching MobileMe anyways. I didn't like my mobile me username, and couldn't be bothered to go through the multiple ways to "get" a new username.

I still experienced syncing shenanigans, and to make everything peachy, ended up having to boot my iPhone to default and letting iCloud bring down my contacts calendars and mail. Haven't had an issue since.

Oh yea, here's something you might want to keep in mind. This may have already been covered, I haven't read this thread 100% of the way through.
Photostream is a dangerous feature.
So I took some rather interesting and potentially compromising photos on my iPhone, in my drunken haze forgetting that the photo stream feature was enabled. I thought I had deleted the pictures in time to keep them from going to the photo stream. Imagine my horror when i open my macbook and see these photos greeting me in iPhoto. Suffice it to say, I flipped and then discovered something else that was interesting. You cannot delete a photo from photo stream. Once it's there, it's there.

To remove them, you have to login to iCloud.com, go to your account and click advanced. There will be an option to remove all your Photostream pictures. Once that's done you still have to disable and then re-enable photo stream on any device that has the pictures, to make them go away.

AfricanBurrito fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 18, 2011

kapncobs
Oct 17, 2011

a GAIN with the socks?
Sticking with MobileMe probably isn't that good of an idea, considering it's due to shut down in eight months or so. Just delaying the inevitable SNAFU when that switch gets flipped.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

kapncobs posted:

Sticking with MobileMe probably isn't that good of an idea, considering it's due to shut down in eight months or so. Just delaying the inevitable SNAFU when that switch gets flipped.

Its not really an option. iCloud doesn't have the features I need so I'll be passing up on it until they add them. At least delaying the inevitable means the inevitable has been delayed.

kapncobs
Oct 17, 2011

a GAIN with the socks?

duck monster posted:

Its not really an option. iCloud doesn't have the features I need so I'll be passing up on it until they add them. At least delaying the inevitable means the inevitable has been delayed.

Fair. I don't know if there'll be anything to fill that hole though, and I don't really see Apple doing it - unless of course, it was to avoid the clusterfuck that was the MobileMe launch.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Okay, this is a weird situation. Thanks to the new iCloud thing, I am being made aware that I somehow have two Apple IDs - one I used for MobileMe for *years* and one I have ALSO been using for years before I even got MobileMe. Turns out that my free 25 GB space thanks to being hosed over by the iCloud switch is now activated on a different Apple ID than the one I usually use. So for me to even use iCloud I have to use two different Apple IDs.

Is there some way to get Apple to move my poo poo into one ID?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Anyone know why I can't enlarge thumbnailed images in Safari?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

AfricanBurrito posted:

Photostream is a dangerous feature.

:ughh:

The really sad thing is I bet there will be a lot of people who read your post and are shocked and surprised. A feature designed as "'Your photos are instantly pushed to all your devices' instantly pushes my photos to all my devices! Oh my!"

(I'm not really face palming at you specifically so much as this is something that seems to keep cropping up around the web.)

Clank posted:

Anyone know why I can't enlarge thumbnailed images in Safari?

In general or specifically timgs on the forums? If the latter, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427084

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

duck monster posted:

I've heard of people using Dropbox to accomplish a lot of what the old Mobile Me Sync system used to do.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
It would be nice if you could choose whether to send a photo to photo stream with each individual picture as an option. I'd use that.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

:ughh:

The really sad thing is I bet there will be a lot of people who read your post and are shocked and surprised. A feature designed as "'Your photos are instantly pushed to all your devices' instantly pushes my photos to all my devices! Oh my!"

(I'm not really face palming at you specifically so much as this is something that seems to keep cropping up around the web.)

My mom's reaction was the same I've heard from many, They like the idea of photostream but are confused when they can't delete things from it. I bet an update to either iCloud.com or iOS is coming to fix this.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
woah, there is Reader in iOS5 safari. This owns.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

CaptainCaveman posted:

In general or specifically timgs on the forums? If the latter, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427084

That's what I needed, thanks.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I love MacRumors forum posters. They have the best overall orthography and grammar of any non-SA forum I've ever visited, yet apparently none of them can actually read. :suicide:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 18, 2011

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

echobucket posted:

My mom's reaction was the same I've heard from many, They like the idea of photostream but are confused when they can't delete things from it. I bet an update to either iCloud.com or iOS is coming to fix this.

I do hope so, though for at least the time being you can wipe everything on the photo stream at once. Better than nothing, but hopefully a fix is in the works.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've been running an Intel 320 SSD for a while now, which has been excellent. Recently, I ran the couple commands to enable trim for the drive in Lion. I confirmed after rebooting that the controller saw the feature enabled and haven't thought about it much until today.

I was showing a friend how to enable it, and where to check that the change took - I see that the controller on my machine is no longer showing trim enabled. I thought this was a one-time change, can anyone comment on how to make this stick? Should I worry about it on the 320?

kapncobs
Oct 17, 2011

a GAIN with the socks?

ilifin posted:

Okay, this is a weird situation. Thanks to the new iCloud thing, I am being made aware that I somehow have two Apple IDs - one I used for MobileMe for *years* and one I have ALSO been using for years before I even got MobileMe. Turns out that my free 25 GB space thanks to being hosed over by the iCloud switch is now activated on a different Apple ID than the one I usually use. So for me to even use iCloud I have to use two different Apple IDs.

Is there some way to get Apple to move my poo poo into one ID?

Currently, nope. Apple are offering advice here for managing multiple Apple IDs, but word on the street says that Apple are working on a solution to merge Apple IDs, which would make everything sunshine and rainbows seeing as practically everyone has multiple IDs.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I really used to like the way Spaces worked in Leopard, as I could press a button and get a perfect tiled view of all my desktops which was very useful for looking at a lot of charts at once for my job. Of course Mission Control has made this impossible but does anyone know of a third party package that replicates the old tiled view of Leopard Spaces?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
What kind of charts? I don't think you were really using spaces in the way it was designed to be used. Are they all the same format? Couldn't you just open all of them up and then evoke "application specific expose" to throw them in grid view?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Evil Orca posted:

Both WinRAR and WinZip have OSX versions. http://www.winzip.com/mac/en/product_overview_mac.htm?sc_cid=go_us_b_search_Mac_Edition and http://www.win-rar.com/download.html they both seem to have a file manager view similar to their Windows versions.
WinRAR for Mac looks like it's command line only... WinZIP Mac might do what she wants, though.

japtor posted:

Another one is BetterZip.
Also a contender...

Without much ado posted:

There's also zipeg
Free is good!

I'll pass these along, thanks!

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Does anyone have a new iCloud email address who wasn't a MobileMe member that can actually receive mail? I can't make it work. Every mail test comes back undeliverable but I can send them through the website. It appears on the Apple forums that I'm not the only one, but there's no single fix I can find.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

qutius posted:

I've been running an Intel 320 SSD for a while now, which has been excellent. Recently, I ran the couple commands to enable trim for the drive in Lion. I confirmed after rebooting that the controller saw the feature enabled and haven't thought about it much until today.

I was showing a friend how to enable it, and where to check that the change took - I see that the controller on my machine is no longer showing trim enabled. I thought this was a one-time change, can anyone comment on how to make this stick? Should I worry about it on the 320?

You probably enabled TRIM before installing a 10.7.x update (which contained an updated version of the kext you modified and thus overwrote your modified version with a newer "stock" version that did not enable TRIM for your SSD).

You'll have to re-enable generic SSD support after any OS X update that includes a new version of the disk kext - not a big deal as long as you remember to.

I like this method more than the "enabler" program: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I just saved the commands in a .sh script so I can pop open terminal and run it real quick after an update.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SimpleCoax posted:

Does anyone have a new iCloud email address who wasn't a MobileMe member that can actually receive mail? I can't make it work. Every mail test comes back undeliverable but I can send them through the website. It appears on the Apple forums that I'm not the only one, but there's no single fix I can find.
iCloud's mail has been up and down the past few days. It's nothing on your end, you just have to wait for it to start working again. I had the same problems last Sunday, and probably would have experienced them when you did had I been using the account for mail.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kapncobs posted:

Currently, nope. Apple are offering advice here for managing multiple Apple IDs, but word on the street says that Apple are working on a solution to merge Apple IDs, which would make everything sunshine and rainbows seeing as practically everyone has multiple IDs.
In addition, http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37 has a very straightforward response.

quote:

Apple IDs cannot be merged. You should use your preferred Apple ID from now on, but you can still access your purchased items such as music, movies, or software using your other Apple IDs.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone have any idea what the icon on the left is from? The right is time machine.

The only option I have when I right click it is Sync Now

Cadoc
Mar 5, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Anyone have any idea what the icon on the left is from? The right is time machine.

The only option I have when I right click it is Sync Now

MobileMe Sync

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

So I have this one app where the "this is an application downloaded from the internet" doesn't go away after the first ask. Just one app :confused:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Since updating my 3rd gen iPod touch to os5, my artists list has gone haywire.

Anyone know how to get it working normally again?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Ask IYG

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stoat posted:

Since updating my 3rd gen iPod touch to os5, my artists list has gone haywire.

Anyone know how to get it working normally again?

No idea, but you should try the iPod Touch megathread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

markus876 posted:

You probably enabled TRIM before installing a 10.7.x update (which contained an updated version of the kext you modified and thus overwrote your modified version with a newer "stock" version that did not enable TRIM for your SSD).

You'll have to re-enable generic SSD support after any OS X update that includes a new version of the disk kext - not a big deal as long as you remember to.

I like this method more than the "enabler" program: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I just saved the commands in a .sh script so I can pop open terminal and run it real quick after an update.

Ah-ha, good call! I didn't think about the patch, thanks!