Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

maduin posted:

Speaking of Hyperdock, is there a way to hide the dock name labels that appear when you hover over icons so that they're not popping up behind the Hyperdock previews?

I have never noticed this before and now I can't unsee it. Thanks.

Looks like the developer has looked into it before as there is a question on the FAQ page about it. Just doesn't look like there is a reliable way to do it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011
Is there a program that will allow me to make an image file out of an iPod? My friend loaned me his iPod but doesn't want me to mess with his files. I'd like to back up an image of that current iPod so I can use it with my own files and when he wants it back, I can just restore the image. Thanks for the help!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Any tips and tricks to switch from iPhoto '11 to Picasa? Or warnings?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Just found an article suggesting it is possible to install ML on un-supported Macs. So does anyone think that Apple will exclude capable hardware simply because they are old?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 23, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Colonel Sanders posted:

Just found an article suggesting it is possible to install ML on un-supported Macbooks.
It was also possible to get the Developer Preview version of Lion running on machines it shouldn't have supported, and surprise: those people were still boned when Lion eventually launched.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

syndex posted:

I have never noticed this before and now I can't unsee it. Thanks.

This bugged the crap out of me too, so I removed the bottom triangle and float the preview pane above the application name labels, like so:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

pipes! posted:

This bugged the crap out of me too, so I removed the bottom triangle and float the preview pane above the application name labels, like so:

This is what I'm going to end up having to do, but it's so annoying not to be able to do something as seemingly simple as remove the labels.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Colonel Sanders posted:

Just found an article suggesting it is possible to install ML on un-supported Macs. So does anyone think that Apple will exclude capable hardware simply because they are old?

I think it is a good idea with refusing older hardware when Apple brings out a new version of OSX. Stops the situation with the "Vista Compatible" situation happening. Plus a lot of people are still happily running 10.5 and 10.6 on their Macs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Intermittently, my 2011 iMac (12,2) will cease all network activity over Airport, and refuse to resume until manually turning Airport off, then back on again.

From my searching, I'm finding most people reports a similar issue, but it was resolved with 10.7.1 (I'm on 10.7.3)

I've tried a separate user account, and the issue persists, which makes me think it's the Airport card, but could still be OS related.

Any thoughts?

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

Yeast posted:

Any thoughts?

What router?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Yeast posted:

Intermittently, my 2011 iMac (12,2) will cease all network activity over Airport, and refuse to resume until manually turning Airport off, then back on again.

From my searching, I'm finding most people reports a similar issue, but it was resolved with 10.7.1 (I'm on 10.7.3)

I've tried a separate user account, and the issue persists, which makes me think it's the Airport card, but could still be OS related.

Any thoughts?

Network issues and settings are system-wide so a new user account wouldn't necessarily help here.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

1997 posted:

Network issues and settings are system-wide so a new user account wouldn't necessarily help here.

Sure, I'm thinking more if it's a stuffed piece of software that's calling too many times or some such.

As for the router, it's the first Airport Extreme that had N speeds.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I've been looking for an answer but I haven't been able to find it. How does home sharing work on the same Mac computer if there are two separate accounts on the mac that want to use that home sharing? Does the non-current user show up in the current user's library, even though technically they are not online as well?

We have one centralized Mac, but we both have iPhones, and I have an iPad. We have separate Apple IDs that we'd like to use for iCloud, but home share our music libraries, apps, movies, that sort of thing.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 24, 2012

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!
Hey, I just bought my first iMac and have a couple questions for you guys. My IOS is running 10.7.4, it's the most current one but it doesn't say Lion, is this Lion or should I pay the $30 and upgrade? Secondly, switching from a PC to a Mac, this keyboard is very difficult getting used to, specifically, the shift key being so far over. Does anyone have any advice on a good Mac compatible keyboard that has a bigger shift key?

Thanks for the advice!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do me a favor. Go to the Apple menu, and click About This Mac. Then all at once press Command+Shift+4. Your cursor will change to a cross with dimensions next to it. Press the space bar. Click on the About This Mac window. It will save a screenshot of that window. I'm confused by what your OS X is reporting as.

Also where did you buy it from? 10.7.4 isn't even in Developer Preview yet.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm confused by what your OS X is reporting as.

He said IOS, not OS X :haw:.

But just in case, dear user White1ce, if your Mac OS X is 10.7.x, where x is some number, then it's Lion.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 24, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

It was also possible to get the Developer Preview version of Lion running on machines it shouldn't have supported, and surprise: those people were still boned when Lion eventually launched.
Unless the hardware matched the new hardware (with Core 1 to Core 2 upgrades), then the simple tricks worked.

But yeah, the majority were boned. The problem I see with the methods in that link is that 10.8 could use poo poo that breaks on the older GPUs, and otherwise those kexts (from 10.7) will probably gently caress up on whatever 10.8 releases down the line without any warning.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

White1ce posted:

Does anyone have any advice on a good Mac compatible keyboard that has a bigger shift key?

Bigger than what? Apple's keyboards have pretty normal-sized shift keys.

If you're coming from, say, one of Dell's hideous PS/2 back stock keyboards they foist on economy-line buyers, you're really not going to find anything like that here in the 21st century.

Hell, several of Logitech's keyboards have smaller shift keys than Apple's.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Molten Llama posted:

That kind of depends on the version of the keyboard. The Dutch ones have a tiny shift key on the left. I'm personally not bothered by it, but I can imagine people having trouble with the size of it.

The simple solution in this case is to just get the us-version of the keyboard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Using an external monitor, is there any way I can mirror the taskbar and dock without having to mirror the entire screen?

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

FlashBangBob posted:

I've been looking for an answer but I haven't been able to find it. How does home sharing work on the same Mac computer if there are two separate accounts on the mac that want to use that home sharing? Does the non-current user show up in the current user's library, even though technically they are not online as well?

We have one centralized Mac, but we both have iPhones, and I have an iPad. We have separate Apple IDs that we'd like to use for iCloud, but home share our music libraries, apps, movies, that sort of thing.

iTunes and home sharing will continue to run if you switch users, so it will show up and you can copy files over.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
This poo poo suddenly pops up every ten seconds in itunes:

I've never listened to radio, and searching for it give me lots of hits, but no solution. I have no plugins for itunes installed. Help me kill it!

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

ferretsrule posted:

iTunes and home sharing will continue to run if you switch users, so it will show up and you can copy files over.

But if I log out of a user, or the other user was never logged in on the first place, home sharing wouldn't show up -- right?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

mongoibur posted:

This poo poo suddenly pops up every ten seconds in itunes:

I've never listened to radio, and searching for it give me lots of hits, but no solution. I have no plugins for itunes installed. Help me kill it!

Do you have Home Sharing On? Try turning it off, then back on again.

People are disabling the Radio in parental controls until the issue is fixed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
New trojan going around:
http://blog.intego.com/flashback-mac-trojan-horse-infections-increasing-with-new-variant/

feedmyleg posted:

Using an external monitor, is there any way I can mirror the taskbar and dock without having to mirror the entire screen?
I'm not sure about the dock but I think there was something for the menubar (assuming that's what you meant by taskbar). I vaguely recall some hack where it moved the menubar to whichever screen the mouse was on. Otherwise Deja Menu was another one that made the menubar items appear as a contextual menu right under the mouse. I have no clue if they still work these days.

FlashBangBob posted:

But if I log out of a user, or the other user was never logged in on the first place, home sharing wouldn't show up -- right?
Yeah, afaik it'll never get started up until the user logs in to start it in the first place.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

White1ce posted:

My IOS is running 10.7.4,

Other people mentioned it, so I'm sure you got the idea, but just to make sure you're clear:

iOS is Apple's mobile OS that runs on the iPhone, the iPads, and the iPod Touch.

OS X is Apple's desktop OS that runs on Mac laptops and desktops.

Your iMac is not running any version of iOS.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

decypher posted:

Do you have Home Sharing On? Try turning it off, then back on again.

People are disabling the Radio in parental controls until the issue is fixed.

Home sharing is off, and this is an administrator account, so I'd rather not convert it.
My god, what an annoying bug!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mu Zeta posted:

New VLC came out and it's crashtastic. If I just try to hide the menus on the left the thing shuts down.

1) I mostly like new VLC but anything I save in Preferences doesn't save. Like dark or light Layout, or even worse... default starting volume. It sucks that every time I start a movie, it's on 0 for volume. I found where to change it in preferences, but it doesn't save.

2) I just don't really GET Messages yet. Lately it can't connect to my AIM/iCHAT whatever buddy list. It did on the first day, and not since. It just feels... clunkier to me.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

The guy who makes BetterTouchTool makes something to do this if I remember correctly.

E: auto correct

vvvv that's it.

Yakadan fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 25, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yakadan posted:

The guy who makes BetterTouchTool makes something to do this I'm I remember correctly.
SecondBar

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

mongoibur posted:

Home sharing is off, and this is an administrator account, so I'd rather not convert it.
My god, what an annoying bug!

I apologize for not being clear.

Not the system wide parental controls in System Preferences.

Check here: iTunes > Preferences > Parental tab.

You will be able to disable it there. :)

edit: Of course this solution sucks, but it works cause you don't use the radio feature anyway.

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!

Do me a favor. Go to the Apple menu, and click About This Mac. Then all at once press Command+Shift+4. Your cursor will change to a cross with dimensions next to it. Press the space bar. Click on the About This Mac window. It will save a screenshot of that window. I'm confused by what your OS X is reporting as.

My bad, it is OS 10.7.3. Sorry!

Molten Llama posted:

If you're coming from, say, one of Dell's hideous PS/2 back stock keyboards they foist on economy-line buyers, you're really not going to find anything like that here in the 21st century.

Hell, several of Logitech's keyboards have smaller shift keys than Apple's.

I've used PCs for 15+ years and have never had an issue with the shift key before. Everytime I try and push the shift I get the / button instead.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

White1ce posted:

I've used PCs for 15+ years and have never had an issue with the shift key before. Everytime I try and push the shift I get the / button instead.
Did you get a foreign keyboard or something :psyduck:. I'm looking at pictures of keyboard layouts and the shift key isn't any farther over on the Apple one compared to anything else.

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
Maybe I just need to get used to it? It's definitely the US keyboard.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

SecondBar

Downloaded.

Does anyone know if the new mountain lion unfucks fullscreen with two monitors?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Feenix posted:

1) I mostly like new VLC but anything I save in Preferences doesn't save. Like dark or light Layout, or even worse... default starting volume. It sucks that every time I start a movie, it's on 0 for volume. I found where to change it in preferences, but it doesn't save.

Its a great looking iiteration , but its not even remotely ready to use yet. I think they are being waaaay too hasty rolling this out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

duck monster posted:

Its a great looking iiteration , but its not even remotely ready to use yet. I think they are being waaaay too hasty rolling this out.
It seriously looks like they went:
1) "hurray it finally compiles!"
2) Major release!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

White1ce posted:

Maybe I just need to get used to it? It's definitely the US keyboard.
You can use practically any USB or Bluetooth-powered keyboard with your Mac. You may have to remap your modifier keys in System Preferences > Keyboard if your Option and Command keys are reversed, but otherwise the keyboard will function like normal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SecondBar

Perfect, thanks! I love that all this software exists for really niche needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
At my office I have a MBP 13 (2011) connected to a 27 inch Thunderbolt Cinema display. Is there a way that I can sync the two to have one single brightness setting so that I don't have to constantly adjust both as the sun moves around the office?