Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I occasionally (very infrequently) have issues where my pop-up folders in the Dock stop working correctly (files aren't draggable) and some of my folder Services (is this the right term? Automator scripts that show up when you right-click files) disappear. Killalling Finder/Dock don't work, any ideas? (I'm sure I could restart but my computer's busy right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Spotlight not learn over time? I probably CMD+SPACE for "terminal" every day, but since I installed Office six months ago, the first result is ALWAYS "HyperTerminal Applet." It happens with a tracking spreadsheet I use too. I could have sworn previous Macs learned from my behavior, but that does not seem to be the case with my current Mac. Is this normal?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Does Spotlight not learn over time? I probably CMD+SPACE for "terminal" every day, but since I installed Office six months ago, the first result is ALWAYS "HyperTerminal Applet." It happens with a tracking spreadsheet I use too. I could have sworn previous Macs learned from my behavior, but that does not seem to be the case with my current Mac. Is this normal?
can't say if it's normal, but Alfred kicks rear end. You can get it for free from the app store.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I'd recommend Alfred too, switched from quicksilver when it was still in beta and I've yet to be disappointed.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

dexter6 posted:

can't say if it's normal, but Alfred kicks rear end. You can get it for free from the app store.

Seconding this. The powerpack is totally worth it too. http://www.alfredapp.com/

I removed the menu item and keyboard shortcut for spotlight and use cmd+space for alfred.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Olivil posted:

I'd recommend Alfred too, switched from quicksilver when it was still in beta and I've yet to be disappointed.

I never came across any compelling reason to go for Alfred over Quicksilver — what tipped you over?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Tippis posted:

I never came across any compelling reason to go for Alfred over Quicksilver — what tipped you over?

Quicksilver was wonky with Lion at first, it's not a problem anymore, but I never switched back.

Bought the Power Pack too.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Alfred is fantastic, especially with "fuzzy" search on.

As for VLC: My biggest quibble is that it switches to playlist view when whatever you've queued up is over, so you can't hit ESC to un-fullscreen. It's annoying, but not that bad.

Also, I desperately wish I could have a separate video window, but I've not found a way to do so yet.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Gism0 posted:

I removed the menu item and keyboard shortcut for spotlight and use cmd+space for alfred.

Yes, this. CMD+Space+ej to eject media is so good.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

What stuff do you guys mainly use the Alfred powerpack for? It looks cool but I'm not sure if I need these features.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Tutu posted:

What stuff do you guys mainly use the Alfred powerpack for? It looks cool but I'm not sure if I need these features.

Clipboard history is probably my most used Powerpack feature. I also like the global hotkeys. I have Ctrl+Cmd+Option+D set to open the Downloads folder, and I use that multiple times a day.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
PSA, with iCloud, Xmarks no longer lets you sync your bookmarks between Firefox/Chrome and Safari in such a way that it propagates to iCloud. I've been demoing BookMacster for a while and it seems to work great, letting me add or delete bookmarks in Firefox or on my iPhone and having it propagated to the other a few minutes later. Give it a try.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Tutu posted:

This kind of thing: http://blog.alfredapp.com/2011/08/02/alfred-extensions/

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

beefnoodle posted:

This kind of thing: http://blog.alfredapp.com/2011/08/02/alfred-extensions/

Thanks, some of those are pretty awesome. http://jdfwarrior.tumblr.com/ This guy has made loads of cool extensions for Alfred, I really like the screenshot one.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dammit, I just bought a Roku before I read the details about Mountain Lion and Apple TV. Anyone thinking about going the AppleTV route if they haven't already?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm thinking about it, but does AppleTV still limit output to 720p?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

I'm thinking about it, but does AppleTV still limit output to 720p?

Yeah, but between ML mirroring support, the iPad 3's likely retina display and iOS' mirroring support, we're about due for an update to get rid of that limitation: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/12/ipad-3-to-pave-way-for-1080p-itunes-content-and-a-new-apple-tv/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The rumor is a a 1080p version is coming soon, the model 2 supplies seem to be dwindling.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK that's pretty much been what's keeping me from buying an AppleTV so it sounds like one might be in my future soon. Thanks!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

:hawaaaafap:

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

The developers have their own page with some of the best extensions. I had to buy it after seeing some of these http://support.alfredapp.com/extensions

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

OK that's pretty much been what's keeping me from buying an AppleTV so it sounds like one might be in my future soon. Thanks!
Yeah just wait for the next version. The current 720p limitation with the hardware itself afaik, so a software update won't get it to output 1080p natively.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I occasionally (very infrequently) have issues where my pop-up folders in the Dock stop working correctly (files aren't draggable) and some of my folder Services (is this the right term? Automator scripts that show up when you right-click files) disappear. Killalling Finder/Dock don't work, any ideas? (I'm sure I could restart but my computer's busy right now)

Well, now this has happened a few days in a row. Any thoughts?

This is what the pop-up folder looks like when I try to drag a file out of it. The highlighted blue background will slide up and down with the mouse, but only opens the file originally selected.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
How difficult is it to set up and administer a mail server running on OS X server? I've got a mini to myself and a datacenter to colo it in, and I'm hoping to get the mini running asap so I can move away from gmail. Can I expect to set up mail accounts and have it run for years, or is it going to require constant maintenance? what's security like? Any good resources out there?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it possible to make Mac OS X (10.6.8) stop reordering my windows when switching between spaces? It's really annoying.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

wanderlost posted:

How difficult is it to set up and administer a mail server running on OS X server? I've got a mini to myself and a datacenter to colo it in, and I'm hoping to get the mini running asap so I can move away from gmail. Can I expect to set up mail accounts and have it run for years, or is it going to require constant maintenance? what's security like? Any good resources out there?

I've no experience with running a mail server on OSX but it does seem like an expensive solution (not sure what the colo will cost you and i can think of much better uses for a mac mini)

You can just get a cheap hosting account from somewhere (I've been using apisnetworks with a goon voucher code and had zero problems) and they will host your mail. As long as you have your own domain you can move it later too.

I recently made the move to Google Apps (free) and am very happy with it, and since it's my domain name I can move away from them in the future if I feel like it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I want Lion to stop restoring windows and apps upon reboot. So I unchecked the box in preferences that is supposed to make that happen--but it's still happening. What am I doing wrong?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

So I have a mid 2011 iMac that was pretty snappy when I first got it, but has gotten pretty slow over the last few weeks. It doesn't even do the startup chime anymore for some reason. I did a little Googling and it seems like the best thing to do would be to reinstall OS X, but before I do that I have a couple of questions:

1) I have an external hard drive for Time Machine. Is there a chance that whatever's got me all messed up is going to be restored by Time Machine?

2) This won't mess up my Boot Camp partition, will it? I can live with it if it does there's barely anything on there worth backing up and I can fit all that on a thumb drive. Google suggested that it won't be affected as long as I don't reformat the entire drive, but I also found a couple people saying otherwise. More than anything I'm just curious if I'm going to have to go through the hassle of having to reinstall both OSes.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

The Macaroni posted:

I want Lion to stop restoring windows and apps upon reboot. So I unchecked the box in preferences that is supposed to make that happen--but it's still happening. What am I doing wrong?

That setting doesn't apply to log outs, restarts, or shut downs. You need to uncheck the box in the dialog window when you do a restart.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Inside Outside posted:

So I have a mid 2011 iMac that was pretty snappy when I first got it, but has gotten pretty slow over the last few weeks. It doesn't even do the startup chime anymore for some reason. I did a little Googling and it seems like the best thing to do would be to reinstall OS X, but before I do that I have a couple of questions:

1) I have an external hard drive for Time Machine. Is there a chance that whatever's got me all messed up is going to be restored by Time Machine?

2) This won't mess up my Boot Camp partition, will it? I can live with it if it does there's barely anything on there worth backing up and I can fit all that on a thumb drive. Google suggested that it won't be affected as long as I don't reformat the entire drive, but I also found a couple people saying otherwise. More than anything I'm just curious if I'm going to have to go through the hassle of having to reinstall both OSes.
The startup chime is affected by wether your speakers are muted or not while in OS X. If the speakers are muted in OS X when you do a restart, the startup chime won't play. Since your computer is still pretty new, it's worth taking it in to an Apple Genius Bar or authorized Apple repair shop to see what they find, and the work should be free. Or give us examples of what appears to be slow for you. Some general suggestions I have for you are:
- Ensure OS X and all your Apps are fully updated.
- Hold down Shift while logging in to start up without third-party apps running in the background or in the menu bar.
- Find out if any of your Apps do any modification to the OS (kernel extensions mainly), and if they do, try disabling them.
- If you have antivirus/antimalware software running, just uninstall it. You don't need it.

But to answer your questions:
1) There's a chance with any backup that whatever caused the problem will come back. But generally Time Machine does a good job of mitigating that.
2) If you erase only the OS X partition in Disk Utility then install to that partition, your Boot Camp partition won't be affected. So be sure that only your OS X partition, not your entire HD, is selected in Disk Utility before clicking that Erase button. You can skip doing an erase though; OS X will move the previous system's files out of the way when reinstalling.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
Why does Messages Beta say that "Your account has been blocked from registering?"

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

wolffenstein posted:

That setting doesn't apply to log outs, restarts, or shut downs. You need to uncheck the box in the dialog window when you do a restart.
Aggh, I thought that box got unchecked by default when I turned off the setting in System Prefs. Bleargh. I guess I'll have to go through with the other solution from the OP and turn off my major apps (Office, browsers) individually.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I recently obtained a Verizon 4G LTE wireless AP for a remote user running on Mac OS X Lion. Somehow they've managed to burn through their entire 5GB cap in a little over 2 days of use and they are swearing up and down that all they're doing is using email and other business related apps.

I need to find out what is sucking up all of their cap, is anybody familiar with a bandwidth monitoring program that will allow me to generate bandwidth reports by application?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

Aggh, I thought that box got unchecked by default when I turned off the setting in System Prefs. Bleargh. I guess I'll have to go through with the other solution from the OP and turn off my major apps (Office, browsers) individually.

Mountain Lion remembers your preference for restoring apps between reboots. God knows why Lion doesn't.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know how to dig down into the "WebProcess" safari helper process? On both my machines it tends to balloon out of control, 1gb-1200mb with two or three tabs (currently) open, admittedly after a few hours with some heavy usage. Not really purging after I close all the tabs. I can force quit the process and make Safari reload all active tabs, but that's such a hacky solution.

It's not really a big problem at home where I have 12gb, but at work I've got 8 gigs and some VMs open and I'm dangerously close to hitting swap a lot.

I'm okay with Safari caching things in RAM but I don't know whether 1 gig is really acceptable. If I had a MacBook Air with two gigs of ram I think I would be livid.

To be clear, I'm talking about actual RAM usage, not shared memory.

Machine at work is 10.7.3, at home I'm still at 10.7.2, don't really see any discernible difference between the two.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 29, 2012

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

I think LimeChat should be added to the suggested IRC clients. It's a WebKit based IRC client (image and youtube URL thumbnails, appearance customizable with CSS) like Textual, except it's free, has a log that shows messages from other connected channels that aren't selected, and when trying to read old messages it doesn't annoyingly scroll like Textual does.

The only issue I had is that I had to do some copy and pasting from a Textual theme to get nickname highlighting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I think LimeChat should be added to the suggested IRC clients. It's a WebKit based IRC client (image and youtube URL thumbnails, appearance customizable with CSS) like Textual, except it's free, has a log that shows messages from other connected channels that aren't selected, and when trying to read old messages it doesn't annoyingly scroll like Textual does.

The only issue I had is that I had to do some copy and pasting from a Textual theme to get nickname highlighting.
It was redundant when Textual was free since Textual is a superior fork of LimeChat, but I guess now that it costs money I can put LimeChat in as a free alternative.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I'm not sure this belongs here but I'll give it a shot. My school email that had my office for Mac 2011product key was disabled and stupid me neglected to forward the email.

Is there a program like magic jelly bean for osx they would allow me to fish the product key out of my installed copy? I tried Mac product key finder but it doesn't support office 2011. Thanks.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
In finder, I can't resize the length of these bars when I'm in my download folder

Screenshot from my dropbox folder:
http://i.imgur.com/jMMch.png

Screenshot from my download folder:
http://i.imgur.com/LO2eq.png

How can i change this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McDeth posted:

I recently obtained a Verizon 4G LTE wireless AP for a remote user running on Mac OS X Lion. Somehow they've managed to burn through their entire 5GB cap in a little over 2 days of use and they are swearing up and down that all they're doing is using email and other business related apps.

I need to find out what is sucking up all of their cap, is anybody familiar with a bandwidth monitoring program that will allow me to generate bandwidth reports by application?
Well there's nettop...I don't know how or if it can generate reports. If nothing else if it's happening constantly I guess you can try to figure out the culprit through it.

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know how to dig down into the "WebProcess" safari helper process? On both my machines it tends to balloon out of control, 1gb-1200mb with two or three tabs (currently) open, admittedly after a few hours with some heavy usage. Not really purging after I close all the tabs. I can force quit the process and make Safari reload all active tabs, but that's such a hacky solution.
I guess you could just quit Safari instead of force quitting the process, either way you're just reloading everything but quitting seems to be more effective in getting it to purge. Otherwise if you have the developer tools you can try just using the "purge" CLI command, but that'll only do so much.

Do you have extensions? Could try messing with those in case something is causing a leak or some other issue.

Taelrin posted:

I'm not sure this belongs here but I'll give it a shot. My school email that had my office for Mac 2011product key was disabled and stupid me neglected to forward the email.

Is there a program like magic jelly bean for osx they would allow me to fish the product key out of my installed copy? I tried Mac product key finder but it doesn't support office 2011. Thanks.
I don't have Office so I can't check myself, but I think that registration stuff is usually in the home or system Library folders, in Preferences or Application Support. Some install their own folders around there too. The easiest way to search is to search for "office" or "microsoft" and have the search include system files (add a search criteria and look for that in the big "other" list).

Kristneder posted:

In finder, I can't resize the length of these bars when I'm in my download folder

Screenshot from my dropbox folder:
http://i.imgur.com/jMMch.png

Screenshot from my download folder:
http://i.imgur.com/LO2eq.png

How can i change this?
Click the button to the right of the hierarchy path button and set it to None to get it to the normal list view.