Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

Jeratain posted:

I was debating posting this in the A/V Forum, but figured I'd start here.

What is the best software to stream media to various devices on a local network from a Mac? I'd like to be able to stream media from my 2011 iMac to the following devices:
- XBox 360
- Samsung TVs (Smart Hub)

Note: I've tried Rivet, but that was fairly inconsistent in connecting to the XBox, and though it was discoverable on the Samsungs it did not stream at all to them. Connect360 is an option, but it costs $20, so I just wanted to see if anyone could suggest another free option before I dive in and buy something. Would XBMC, Plex, or something else be ideal for this?

I use Plex from my Macbook Pro to my Roku 2 and it is actually magic. Easy to set up and finds tags for my media automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I use plex with smart hub and it works really well for me. Only things missing are subtitles and .dvdmedia support.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Great, so then Plex does support streaming to XBox 360 without the need for a client-side app on the 360? That's what I couldn't verify.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

Jeratain posted:

I was debating posting this in the A/V Forum, but figured I'd start here.

What is the best software to stream media to various devices on a local network from a Mac? I'd like to be able to stream media from my 2011 iMac to the following devices:
- XBox 360
- Samsung TVs (Smart Hub)

Note: I've tried Rivet, but that was fairly inconsistent in connecting to the XBox, and though it was discoverable on the Samsungs it did not stream at all to them. Connect360 is an option, but it costs $20, so I just wanted to see if anyone could suggest another free option before I dive in and buy something. Would XBMC, Plex, or something else be ideal for this?
check out ps3 media server.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

A version of Plex with DLNA support is supposed to be coming soon, which would make it work with the 360.

(it's not this version, but they talk about it here:)
http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/03/03/plex-media-server-v0-9-5-3/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder how well it handles HD content over WiFi. Looking forward to seeing it, at any rate.

Anything to kick PS3MediaServer to the curb. Maybe this will get me watching movies on my TV again rather than just my iPad :q:

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I have a dedicated XBMC HTPC, and it streams to everything with minimum fuss. But I believe it needs to be running to do this...

Also that said, XBMC now supports Airplay, so you can now stream to it as it has an Airplay Server on it.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
DashExpander is a free text expander that I just grabbed and am currently trying out. It supports placeholders, DropBox synching, and snippet tagging. The interface is a little janky, but the price is right.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an external Firewire 800 drive that is no longer mounting. Disk Utility can neither repair or verify the disk. Other than Diskwarrior, is there any software that might allow me tog et the data off the disk, or am I pretty much screwed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frogbs posted:

I have an external Firewire 800 drive that is no longer mounting. Disk Utility can neither repair or verify the disk. Other than Diskwarrior, is there any software that might allow me tog et the data off the disk, or am I pretty much screwed?

Are you getting a ton of disk errors if you open up console? Just had a Lacie die in the office last week.

Have you ruled out the enclosure being bad? Can you rip it apart and put the HD in another enclosure, or inside a computer?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

Are you getting a ton of disk errors if you open up console? Just had a Lacie die in the office last week.

Have you ruled out the enclosure being bad? Can you rip it apart and put the HD in another enclosure, or inside a computer?

This is also a Lacie! I dont think the enclosure is bad, as neither the USB or Firewire interface will allow me to mount the disk, but it still shows up in Disk Utility.

Quite honestly I dont know what I should be looking for in the Console, any tips?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frogbs posted:

This is also a Lacie! I dont think the enclosure is bad, as neither the USB or Firewire interface will allow me to mount the disk, but it still shows up in Disk Utility.

Quite honestly I dont know what I should be looking for in the Console, any tips?

Hit command-space and type 'Console' into Spotlight. Click Console, and then try to use the drive. You should some some entries with 'fseventd' 'error' and 'disk2s0' (or whatever your drive is) all on the same line.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

Hit command-space and type 'Console' into Spotlight. Click Console, and then try to use the drive. You should some some entries with 'fseventd' 'error' and 'disk2s0' (or whatever your drive is) all on the same line.

I'm getting nothing in console. If I try to verify/repair the disk in Disk Utlity I get an error saying "Invalid Node Structure" and "Invalid B-tree node size".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

I'm getting nothing in console. If I try to verify/repair the disk in Disk Utlity I get an error saying "Invalid Node Structure" and "Invalid B-tree node size".
I believe those are particularly bad ones that require something like DiskWarrior or some other third party software to repair.

Edit-maybe look into Linux live CDs like Ultimate Boot CD that have a crapload of utilities on them. I used them to read some disk with an invalid journal before when OS X wouldn't let me, so I guess it's worth a shot.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
One last time to see if anyone else has been experiencing this:

dexter6 posted:

I've found myself having to force quit Finder several times a day because my 11" MBA slows to a crawl. I've opened up ACtivity Monitor and found Finder sucking up >1gb of RAM. Force quitting gets my speed back to normal, but it will start happening again.

This has only happened since upgrading to 10.7.3. Any ideas what I can do? Google didn't seem to help.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

dexter6 posted:

One last time to see if anyone else has been experiencing this:

You're not running TotalFinder, are you? I ask because a number of people have reported that very problem with TotalFinder.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Is there any reliable way of identifying non-standard kernel extensions or anything? I'd like to clean out the cruft in my system without necessarily reinstalling.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

rckstar79 posted:

You're not running TotalFinder, are you? I ask because a number of people have reported that very problem with TotalFinder.
Nope, I'm not. Nothing crazy installed or random tweaks except Alfred.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven't been experiencing that at all, but I *do* have to force quit Finder a few times a week:

I do a LOT of dragging images from Safari to disk to help out with presentations and lectures and student thesis stuff. I'd say I probably drag about a hundred images per week or so into a DMG I keep on my local disk.

Now 99% of the time nothing bad happens. I drag an image from Safari to the DMG in a finder window and it does exactly what I ask it to.

Then the 1% of the time I drag an image from Safari to the DMG in Finder, let go of the mouse and the system hesitates for a second before bringing the finder up in the window stack (it's usually just sitting behind Safari, partially obscured, but still visible enough that I can drag things into it) so it's the foremost window, and after that happens I can no longer drag ANYTHING into finder. The cursor just acts like it's floating over a window that doesn't respond to drag and drops. If I try to drag an image into the finder, the image will just spring back into the Safari window as soon as I let the button go.

The ONLY way to fix this is to kill/relaunch Finder. Nothing else on the system seems to be affected.

It's hard to file a bug report because I'm usually in the middle of dragging images around under deadline and can't be bothered to stop what I'm doing to record the details. There's definitely an error in the console, but googling reveals that it's nothing very common.

Basically Finder is still a bitch sometimes. I wish TotalFinder integrated into the system a little better because I'd probably use it then. I know I said it a number of times in here already, but explorer is still the best file manager I could ask for. I'd love for Apple to give us a tree structure view that's separate from the contents of the folders themselves.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahahahha gently caress YOU Samsung for packaging your printer drivers in that lovely VISE X installer that requires you to literally quit every running program on your Mac in order to install a printer driver.

I would have used the ones that come from Apple which OSX auto-downloads when you first plug in your printer, but this one isn't connected to the network :(

But seriously. VISE X, everyone :golfclap:

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Martytoof posted:

Ahahahha gently caress YOU Samsung for packaging your printer drivers in that lovely VISE X installer that requires you to literally quit every running program on your Mac in order to install a printer driver.

I would have used the ones that come from Apple which OSX auto-downloads when you first plug in your printer, but this one isn't connected to the network :(

I've had to download drivers from Brother and Lexmark and they've both been packaged that way as well. That just seems to be the way it is for whatever reason. They're probably something of an afterthought given that OS X comes with so many drivers built-in and most people will never have problems with them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo VISE X still exists? :psyduck:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Well at least is still used. I remember some printer drivers which would work in 10.7 if you took the extracted file and used that as the driver. But the installer was still PPC code so it wouldn't open. WTF Samsung.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Despite all reason, some companies still use VISE X instead of just writing their own pkg installer.

Seriously I've only encountered them a handful of times and they're usually on the worst loving apps. I'm so weary of installing anything with a VISE X installer because it always feels like it's going to just absolutely destroy something inadvertently.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven't seen a Vise installer since the System 8 days :wtc:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I haven't seen a Vise installer since the System 8 days :wtc:
Or was that "Mac OS 8"?

I think the last time I saw one was in OS X with the old platinum widgets, I assumed it was some weird rear end Carbon build using custom stuff to look like the old Mac OS and was never updated.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Any of you guys use Fireworks CS5? I've been using it for years problem free, but now I can't edit text layers anymore..

I can create text layers fine but as soon as I deselect it there's no way to edit the text.. I can move them around, change fonts, etc but can't edit the drat text.

Driving me crazy..

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Holy gently caress, why is Evernote so highly recommended everywhere I look? I just tried it and it's a total loving disaster. I'll list my issues here so at least some people get a chance to hear it may not be as awesome as reviews tend to say.

1) Fucks up pasting formatted text from other apps (i.e. once it reaches a bold segment, all the rest of the pasted text becomes bold regardless).

2) The iOS version can't handle editing lists deeper than one level. This is ridiculous for a note taking app, as lists/outlines are a terribly common way to structure notes.

3) No support for tabs. It'll just insert multiple spaces instead. Wouldn't be a deal breaker within the app (for me), but if you need tabs to be retained when you copy/paste a snippet back into another app... well, gently caress.

4) Even really basic notes with nothing but plain, bold, and italic text gives me "Some of this formatting is not supported" warnings on iOS, despite the fact that these things are supported. WTF?

5) If you switch between editing your notes on iOS and Mac, random blank lines* will start appearing all throughout your notes. Sometimes you'll hit return and get two lines, or one line where you wanted it and also another line inserted just before the line you were on. And as if to keep the cosmic scales in balance, line breaks will randomly disappear sometimes, too. So gently caress you if you want any kind of consistent spacing in your lists/paragraphs/whatever.

* Blank lines are no longer blank on the Mac version once you've edited a note on iOS. Each blank line starts with a single space character. This includes blank lines you intentionally put there, not just the ones that appear by magic.

6) Evernote on iOS allows the iOS data detectors to linkify dates. Not uncommon on iOS, but Evernote saves these links as actual links when you save your edits on iOS, resulting in completely useless links scattered throughout your notes on the Mac (links to x-apple-data-detectors://0).

A little googling revealed these issues have been around for at least six months (maybe longer, but at this point I don't care to dig further).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've hated it for years :colbert:, there was a really stupid debate about it vs Simplenote years ago in an iPhone thread. Granted I haven't used either version in a while, but it sounds like it still has the same general jack of all trades/master of none problem going on. Like it had a bunch of nice features but execution was lacking or just plain stupid in basic ways.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I use Evernote here and there just to see how it's coming along. I'm not really a power user, so I haven't hit many of those issues you mention. It's just got too much going on I think.

I think last time this came up Notational Velocity got a lot of praise. It's a barebones client, but is really good at what it does. The search driven interface is pretty nice.

What are the other note taking apps worth anything on OS X? It's like I want OneNote that isn't OneNote for Mac.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Yeah, I had to drop Evernote because it's just too buggy. I liked being able to drop different media types in there, but in the end it wasn't worth it. Switched to Notational Velocity and Simplenote and am much happier with that setup.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

japtor posted:

Or was that "Mac OS 8"?

I think the last time I saw one was in OS X with the old platinum widgets, I assumed it was some weird rear end Carbon build using custom stuff to look like the old Mac OS and was never updated.

7.6 was the first OS release in lieu of System, which coincided with the clone market. Stuffit used VISE X for the longest time too, at least until a couple of years ago. I am so glad the scourge that is .sit and .hqx is finally behind us.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Since there's likely no Mac news, the Apple event thread is over in Inspect Your Gadgets today.

Here you go.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
What is the best way to set up a custom refresh rate in OSX Lion? I bought a 2560x1440 monitor that some people have been able to run at 95hz- On the monitor I am using right now, it only offers me 60hz 75hz(greyed out).

I'd prefer a free program or terminal command/plist edit but haven't been having very much luck with finding things.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Looking at reviews, it seems the way both notational velocity and simplenote work isn't going to do it for me. I like organization and structure (remember my need to make outlines/lists everywhere :D ) so "use search to find your notes in the pile" is not a UI method that appeals to me.

I've been trying to read lots of reviews, but I've been having trouble finding anything else with the syncing (Mac and iOS) and organizing features of Evernote (perhaps why it is so popular despite failing at even basic text entry).

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Sounds like you're looking for a Mac competitor to OneNote, really. Unfortunately, I don't know of a true product that fills this void. It's probably one of the biggest software gaps that I've never filled on OS X and why I just use an Evernote/Notational Velocity combo.

Here are some apps that I did run across along the way:
http://www.barebones.com/products/yojimbo/
http://www.circusponies.com/notebook/stay-organized
http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/devonnote/

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 7, 2012

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I like Notebook, but since I don't have an iPad, I can't say how well the sync works, or how well that version works period. Then again, I don't do much more with Notebook beyond take notes in classes and what-not. The multidex is pretty neat, if you are looking for a specific word, or number, or what-have-you, but I've honestly not dug down deep enough to try out all the other advanced bells and whistles, since I only come up with a potential use for them in the middle of class, when I can't sit around and faff about with menu options.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

None of those sync nearly as well as Evernote. I'm beginning to think I'll have to put up with Evernote after all. It's disappointing that such an otherwise awesome and useful tool is dragged down by something so basic. I'll try to learn to live with it (and hope desperately for some fixes). Thanks everyone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you haven't already, send all that feedback you wrote to the developer, it will at least increase your chances of getting some of those problems solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really, the only thing I've ever wanted was a way to sync Stickies across machines. Evernote is ridiculously overbuilt for what I want so I basically stopped using it. I just need something I can jot down and read on another machine, not an organization system for my scribblings.

That's why I pretty much just end up emailing things to myself.

If only I could sync Stickies :(