Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know of a Mac equivalent of https://www.owatray.com

I am looking for a way for me to be visually notified of new emails (like the Outlook badge with the number) but without me having to run Outlook. It starts to rape my system after a while, I find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is Chrome still sluggish for you guys? It's gotten so bad for me I'm switching to Firefox for the time being.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Is Chrome still sluggish for you guys? It's gotten so bad for me I'm switching to Firefox for the time being.

Chrome seems fine for me. What's sluggish about it for you?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Macintosh posted:

Chrome seems fine for me. What's sluggish about it for you?

When I go to a new domain, it sits there for a few seconds before the arrow starts spinning around. Ends up taking 5-10 seconds. Firefox is working fine as an alternative at least. I mentioned this first a few pages ago.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a way in Safari to see the URLS of all tabs in all windows at once?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

actionjackson posted:

When I go to a new domain, it sits there for a few seconds before the arrow starts spinning around. Ends up taking 5-10 seconds. Firefox is working fine as an alternative at least. I mentioned this first a few pages ago.

Are you seeing anything in Console.app's system logs when this happens?

Also have you tried disabling all your extensions just to be safe?

I switched back to Safari from Chrome for unrelated reasons, but I can't say I ever noticed any problems before I switched back.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Are you seeing anything in Console.app's system logs when this happens?

Also have you tried disabling all your extensions just to be safe?

I switched back to Safari from Chrome for unrelated reasons, but I can't say I ever noticed any problems before I switched back.

My console is full of stuff that says either

Error writing send buffer: write(): broken pipe

or

Error reading receive buffer: read(): connection reset by peer

What does that mean?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Fren posted:

There's an extension that will do that. Can't remember the name though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

actionjackson posted:

My console is full of stuff that says either

Error writing send buffer: write(): broken pipe

or

Error reading receive buffer: read(): connection reset by peer

What does that mean?

I'm going to be completely honest and say I have no idea, but the first thing I would do is google chrome write() broken pipe and see if anything good comes up. I'd offer to help some more but I'm on my iPad right now. Best of luck though!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fren posted:

Sessions extension?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
All these issues with two screen setups are a bit disconcerting considering I just got my first ever dual screen setup going (Working fine for me, but still :ohdear:)

Anyway, I'm using Secondbar to keep a second menubar on my secondary display, but while I get used to a dualscreen workflow, it sometimes ends up as a glorified youtube TV. Secondbar, however, floats over the top of fullscreen flash. Any solution for this?

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

japtor posted:

Fren posted:

Sessions extension?

Also look at Glims, saft, safari stand and forget me not.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The latest Chrome dev channel update seems to have cleared up the sluggishness on my work mac, wasn't having any trouble on my PC to begin with.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone here sort their files by "Date Added"?

I've seen this happen a number of times, where the date separators show up as regular folders. Very weird. I can close the window and it shows up normally again. I can't pin down exactly what is happening. Nothing in my console logs, and I'm not sure how to reproduce it, though it happens enough that I've noticed it.

Normal:

Busted:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone here sort their files by "Date Added"?

I've seen this happen a number of times, where the date separators show up as regular folders. Very weird. I can close the window and it shows up normally again. I can't pin down exactly what is happening. Nothing in my console logs, and I'm not sure how to reproduce it, though it happens enough that I've noticed it.

Normal:

Busted:

I've seen this tons of times. No idea what causes it though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I'm going to be completely honest and say I have no idea, but the first thing I would do is google chrome write() broken pipe and see if anything good comes up. I'd offer to help some more but I'm on my iPad right now. Best of luck though!

I just got a bunch of code-speak I can't understand. That's okay, Firefox is working fine as a substitute.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it possible to use a 360 controller on a mac running Windows in boot camp?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

NESguerilla posted:

Yes.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

A Mac Boot Camped and running Windows is equivalent to a Windows machine to just about anything.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

A Mac Boot Camped and running Windows is equivalent to a Windows machine to just about anything.
Yeah this. Once you're booted into windows it's pretty much a PC

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So I got an SSD and more RAM for my old 13" Macbook Pro mid 2009. The installation of both were really easy
Decided to make a clean install of Lion so burned a dvd with Lion. The thing is that I don't know if something is broken or what but it doesn't seems to do anything now when I put it in.
The optical drive just makes jumping noises like it's trying to find some information but doesn't seem to work.

Any help or clues?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Make a USB install disk. Apple's optical drives are junk.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 4, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Make a USB install disk. Apple's optical drives are junk.

http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive

That link might be out of date but it should get you on the right path.
That's way out of date. Apple released a tool for it ages ago:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice
What's the preferred Terminal Services client for Lion? According to Microsoft's site, their 'official' client isn't supported on Lion (yet).

iTap RDP seems like a solid product, but $25 for functionality I used to get for free is a bit irritating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Consolidated Ed posted:

What's the preferred Terminal Services client for Lion? According to Microsoft's site, their 'official' client isn't supported on Lion (yet).

iTap RDP seems like a solid product, but $25 for functionality I used to get for free is a bit irritating.

I use CoRD but I don't use any fancy features, just remote admin of Windows servers. The Microsoft RDP client was always a buggy piece of poo poo.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know of a Mac equivalent of https://www.owatray.com

I am looking for a way for me to be visually notified of new emails (like the Outlook badge with the number) but without me having to run Outlook. It starts to rape my system after a while, I find.
Before I switched to Sparrow I used Notify religiously and was very happy with it. It has Growl integration as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Two dumb questions about Time Machine:

1. Can I back up two different computers with the same external hard drive (USB)?
2. Choosing to use it for Time Machine doesn't do anything to do the drive that would prevent me from storing other poo poo on it, right? I'm backing up 45GB used on a 128GB Air, and it's a 1TB external drive.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Bob Morales posted:

Two dumb questions about Time Machine:

1. Can I back up two different computers with the same external hard drive (USB)?
2. Choosing to use it for Time Machine doesn't do anything to do the drive that would prevent me from storing other poo poo on it, right? I'm backing up 45GB used on a 128GB Air, and it's a 1TB external drive.

1. Yes.
2. No. It will eventually take up all of the drive space on the partition it uses with old copies of things, but it'll take you a while to get there.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Consolidated Ed posted:

I've used Microsoft's just fine on Lion.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

chimz posted:

1. Yes.
2. No. It will eventually take up all of the drive space on the partition it uses with old copies of things, but it'll take you a while to get there.

And Time Machine will warn you when space is getting low; one checkbox will let TM delete old backups if necessary to continue backups.

Time Machine shoves everything into that folder Backups.dbase folder or whatever so you can shove other stuff onto the drive at will, so long as there is free space.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Binary Badger posted:

And Time Machine will warn you when space is getting low; one checkbox will let TM delete old backups if necessary to continue backups.

Time Machine shoves everything into that folder Backups.dbase folder or whatever so you can shove other stuff onto the drive at will, so long as there is free space.

I'm not sure if it will delete the other computer's old backups, though.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It won't.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Which of the VM products are more suitable for use with Time Machine? I suppose this is equivalent to asking: which of the VM products stores its virtual hard disks as a set of small files rather than one massive blob?

I do a lot of work on Windows VMs, and Time Machine backups would be really great to have.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Although I've never used or cared for Time Machine, Fusion keeps the VM in a single large file.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Although I've never used or cared for Time Machine, Fusion keeps the VM in a single large file.

This is actually not true: it's a directory with a ton of files in it, much like .app "files". I have a VM containing about 27 vmdk files representing the disk. Take note, just like a real disk, not everything written to disk in the VM is appended to the end. So you might end up copying every file to your time machine over and over again.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah VMware lets you choose between a single big rear end file or split into (iirc) 2GB chunks, but either way most stuff gets modified so it doesn't really matter, it just gives you more flexibility on where you can store the drive file. I just exclude the VM from the TM backup and use a scheduled Carbon Copy Cloner task to make a copy separately.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm on Lion and just noticed that wake on LAN is no longer working for me. Anybody else experienced issues with this? I swear it worked fine this weekend, even. The only thing I did yesterday was repair disk permissions, which has never affected this in the past. (I was doing some general maintenance on the machine. Clearing out my downloads folder, etc.)

My setup:
Internet -> Airport Extreme -> iMac over WiFi (this is the machine that is supposed to wake up)

In the Energy Saver pref pane, I have "wake on network access" checked. I have the machine set to sleep after an hour and then the display to sleep after 15 min. This is really annoying because it basically makes programs like Subsonic useless. I'd really like to not have to set the machine to never sleep.

Oh, and I just noticed that this prevented CarbonCopyCloner from initiating my 3am backup process. And I know for a fact that this worked 2 days ago. I had to manually trigger it this morning when I woke up.

Things I've tried:
- restarted the machine
- toggled the "wake on network access" box
- restarted my router

Was going to download and reinstall the latest combo update to see if this has any effect.

Last night when I first noticed the issue, I could wake the machine and instantly connect to anything I needed, then Apple menu -> Sleep, boom, nothing.

Any ideas? I really just want poo poo to work and Lion causes me so many problems.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
So I installed FCP7 on ML today and the Mac App Store will not update it. Instead, it tells me that FCP X and Compressor 4 are the only available updates. I guess Apple has made that pretty clear.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mayodreams posted:

So I installed FCP7 on ML today and the Mac App Store will not update it. Instead, it tells me that FCP X and Compressor 4 are the only available updates. I guess Apple has made that pretty clear.
Wait, is FCP7 even on the App Store? MAS will only update apps installed through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

TACD posted:

Wait, is FCP7 even on the App Store? MAS will only update apps installed through it.

FCP7 is not on the Mac App Store and must be updated via Software Update.