Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

Since this is the Mac Software thread, I'm curious about something.

Is there any particular reason to get Photoshop Extended over regular Photoshop?

I always get the regular version of Photoshop and for the most part it does what I need (I use it mostly for recreational reasons). Then again, Extended does increase the price by a considerable amount and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

edit: I've also noticed that programs deleted from the Applications folder do NOT get removed from the Launchpad. That has a lot of potential to get really annoying, especially since you can't remove dead links from the launchpad.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopextended/features.html

And support for specific image extensions that are commonly used in healthcare and other sectors, if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

theperminator posted:

I've found that If you don't empty the trash it'll stay in Launchpad, but once you empty trash it is removed.

That didn't work for me. I also tried rebooting.

I suppose I'll just have to deal with having a bunch of programs pretending to exist. Like ghosts. Or maybe it is just a Steam thing. It's not enough that the games are half a decade old, it has to ruin my Launchpad, too.

Is there any way to get iBooks running on my iMac, or do I have to use Kindle? If I have to use Kindle, then why the hell do I have iBooks at all? (It's like a choice between reading books on ALL of my Apple devices, or SOME of my devices; clearly Apple didn't think this one through)

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Currently there is no iBooks app for Mac, only iOS devices. I suggest providing Apple with your feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Anyone seen this before?

This is the "Sort as..." menu by the way.
They have kind of identical options but the down most one has 2-3 options more. :confused:

This is on a clean install.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's a new feature in Lion. It isn't advertised much. Essentially, "Arrange by" groups files together by whatever characteristic, then you can "sort by" within the groups.

http://www.tidbits.com/article/12320

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

wolffenstein posted:

Currently there is no iBooks app for Mac, only iOS devices. I suggest providing Apple with your feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Done.

They're missing out on some money here. Sure, it's probably chump change in the scheme of things, but Amazon is collecting what Apple could be getting.

edit: Unless this is part of Apple's master plan for making their desktops less useful and eventually phasing them out. Honestly, I wouldn't mind using just an iPad if I could use it for Office (word/powerpoint/etc) and Photoshop stuff. I think Photoshop could work with a stylus.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 24, 2011

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Haven't seen this being mentioned yet. It's quite easy to miss, but pretty goddamn handy.

Right click on a video or audio file. See that option right at the bottom?
It's definitely not for something I have installed. So I clicked it.

And then this pops up:

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Hello Spaceman posted:

Haven't seen this being mentioned yet. It's quite easy to miss, but pretty goddamn handy.

Right click on a video or audio file. See that option right at the bottom?
It's definitely not for something I have installed. So I clicked it.

And then this pops up:

That is interesting. Thank you so much for that bit of information.

I remember in Windows it was a very complex procedure involving numerous 3rd party applications.

I still wouldn't mind finding something like dvdfab for mac, though. I have a bunch of dvd's that are not on iTunes.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Is anyone else having a problem where Safari (5.1, Lion) decides to reload your tabs when you switch to them? Kind of like using an iPad 1, but more annoying since my MBP has 8GB of ram and most of it is free.

plannerpirate
Apr 21, 2010

I remember in Windows it was a very complex procedure involving numerous 3rd party applications.

I still wouldn't mind finding something like dvdfab for mac, though. I have a bunch of dvd's that are not on iTunes.

Ripit or Handbrake should both be able to do what you want.

Ripit is paid (yet has a trial) and is extremely simple to use. Handbrake is free and has a ton of settings you can customise.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mo0 posted:

That's the equivalent of a Windows user running around amok in C:\Windows\System32, isn't it?

Or is it closer to the user running around in the registry?

More like hiding C:/Program Files/ Theres lots of stuff in there that needs to be manipulated in regular maintainance of a machine, in my experience.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

It must be , I don't have that option on my machine.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

duck monster posted:

More like hiding C:/Program Files/ Theres lots of stuff in there that needs to be manipulated in regular maintainance of a machine, in my experience.

Really?

Like what?

I just backup my important files and reinstall everything at yearly intervals. Windows is still pretty terrible in some regards. (I even do this for things like my iPhone, but hopefully I won't have to do this for my Mac... we'll see)

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Does Aperture 3 just run like poo poo on all machines (without SSD)? My Macbook Air 11in has run it just fine, but my new Mini Server definitely slows down when trying to scroll through a bunch of photos, and in general it seems to take up a lot of memory. The CPU in this machine should kick the poo poo out of my MBA, so I'm just assuming it's the SSD that made it load fast to begin with.

Also, I did a few benches at stock since I won't be getting 8GB for a few weeks. Cinebench is 4.3~, and Geekbench is 8700~. If I had 64-bit Geekbench I'm assuming my score would be up a little bit, but still that's a pretty drat good score for such a small computer. I've considered reinstalling with a striped RAID setup to increase performance, but I think I'll just keep the second drive as a Time Machine/media drive.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

i posted before in here about my MBP's crufty 4-times-migrated Lion install that was running much shittier than a fresh install. Didn't want to clean-install because, ick, what a hassle, so I spent an hour or so diving through my ~/Library and /System/Library and a few other places and I think I found the problems, or at least the important ones. It's running a lot smoother now, especially from a cold start, when it used to be unusable for 5 minutes or so while safari would beachball.

It was all things like, old GMail notifier menubar extensions that I thought i'd uninstalled, a MacFUSE thing that no longer worked at all, a PathFinder trial I thought I'd uninstalled. A bunch of old junk that accumulates from years and years of migrating a setup, basically.

So, er, basically if anyone's got an upgraded/migrated install that's a bit crufty, it could be worth trying to dig through the Library folders a bit (if you know what you're doing). An hour spent doing that's quicker than a clean install + migrating all your stuff.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Does anyone know if I still need Better Touch Tool to swipe between browser tabs? I don't see it in the gestures preferences.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

dazjw posted:

An hour spent doing that's quicker than a clean install + migrating all your stuff.

I'm not sure I see how that's easier.

Isn't it better to start clean and move your stuff over instead of starting dirty, moving your stuff over, and then cleaning things that shouldn't be breaking your system?

edit: I'm new to the mac world, so my apologies if I don't understand the logic being applied here.

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know this is dangerous but I keep regular backups of everything on my drive with Time Machine so I thought I would try anyway. Is there a way to have Snow Leopard ignore the SMART status of the hard drive in my late 2009 iMac? According to Disk Utility, the drive is failing, but I won't have a chance to get the drive replaced for a few days.

Because apparently it's failing, I can't install Lion. The installer prevents me from installing it on that drive.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

MarquisDeSade posted:

I know this is dangerous but I keep regular backups of everything on my drive with Time Machine so I thought I would try anyway. Is there a way to have Snow Leopard ignore the SMART status of the hard drive in my late 2009 iMac? According to Disk Utility, the drive is failing, but I won't have a chance to get the drive replaced for a few days.

Because apparently it's failing, I can't install Lion. The installer prevents me from installing it on that drive.

Why would you risk corrupting your system by performing a major write operation on a failing hard drive? And if you keep regular backups, you'll end up propagating the corruption to your Time Machine files.

Jesus, just wait a few days.

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Duly noted. I didn't even think it would corrupt any files. I thought it was just a hardware thing. I'll wait.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future
I'm not sure if this is a Lion problem or a phone problem, but my phone (Motorola Atrix) doesn't charge when my MacBook Air, running Lion, is closed. Before the update to Lion, it would charge as long as the laptop itself was plugged in. This could also be a phone problem since the Atrix just got an update, but I figured I'd check here first

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy gently caress. Somehow, someway, Lion just deleted everything on my desktop and all of the icons got lost. I rebooted and my desktop was back, but all of the files on it were gone. Mother fucker.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've read this over and over, hoping I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to communicate. I don't know what you're talking about, though. Command+tab works exactly like it always has. I can switch between open or fullscreen apps with gay abandon. No exceptions.

I'll try explaining it again. Command+Tab works fine between full screen apps, here is the bug I'm running into.

Safari open in Desktop 1, different app like Mail in Desktop 2. If I'm in Safari and Command+Tab to Mail, the desktop doesn't pan over to Desktop 2. The menu bar changes from Safari to Mail, and keyboardI can even Commant+N to open a new mail message in Desktop 1. But the desktop doesn't pan. If I Pin Mail to Desktop 2, the same thing happens, except if I Command+N to make a new mail message it THEN pans over to desktop 2.

Same things happens for the opposite. If I command+N from Mail to go to Safari, it doesn't pan over. But if I do something like command+T to open a new tab the focus shifts to Desktop 1.

It's weird... I actually have to double click on icons in the Dock menu to shift focus. Once again, the first click shifts focus to the program in the menu bar, and the second click actually plans over to its desktop

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Isn't it better to start clean and move your stuff over instead of starting dirty, moving your stuff over, and then cleaning things that shouldn't be breaking your system?

edit: I'm new to the mac world, so my apologies if I don't understand the logic being applied here.

Well, it was start dirty for both options (I have one computer): start dirty, copy stuff off, clean install, copy stuff on vs start dirty, upgrade install, dig through library after noticing the problem persisted (I originally thought it was a Snow Leopard vs Lion performance issue).

This way I get to keep all my settings and programs and logs and whatnot, and my computer performs (perceptibly, at least) as well it did running off a clean-installed partition. And I didn't have to wait for hours of copying data on and off a USB drive (I only have the one computer, and I've gigabytes of stuff), or have to worry about iPhoto being a dick (cf this guy http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/07/making-a-clean-start-with-lion-migrating-without-assistance.ars). I also don't really care about whether my system is 'dirty' or 'clean', my library folder can have as many pointless plists as it wants, as long as its running smoothly. Oh, and, not to brag or anything, but I know my way around a ~/Library folder :smug:, so digging around in it for a while wasn't a big hassle.

What would really be better is if there had been some tool I could've used so I could see what my system was doing while booting up or loading Finder and see that plugin/library X is taking an entire minute to do something, or whatever.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn

dazjw posted:

What would really be better is if there had been some tool I could've used so I could see what my system was doing while booting up or loading Finder and see that plugin/library X is taking an entire minute to do something, or whatever.

There is an Activity Monitor.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

dazjw posted:

What would really be better is if there had been some tool I could've used so I could see what my system was doing while booting up

Hold ⌘-v while the system boots.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Does anybody have a good Google Reader/Mac/iPhone RSS reader solution? I've been using Newsfire for a few months on my MBA, and I find it helps me waste less time checking websites for updates. I just want something like that that uses google reader to sync read status between my home and work macs and my iphone. Bonus points if it can automatically download full articles into the feed even if the feed tries to give you just a snippet. I'm happy to pay, I just don't want to pay for a crappy solution.

I don't like the google reader website interface, it's too busy.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

There is an Activity Monitor.

Oh of course, but I was seeing problems before I could feasibly load the activity monitor. That said, probably the activity monitor's inspector panel that shows you which files an application has open would have been useful, if I'd thought of it.

Accipiter posted:

Hold ⌘-v while the system boots.

Thanks, I'll remember that for next time.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

Astro7x posted:

I'll try explaining it again. Command+Tab works fine between full screen apps, here is the bug I'm running into.

Safari open in Desktop 1, different app like Mail in Desktop 2. If I'm in Safari and Command+Tab to Mail, the desktop doesn't pan over to Desktop 2. The menu bar changes from Safari to Mail, and keyboardI can even Commant+N to open a new mail message in Desktop 1. But the desktop doesn't pan. If I Pin Mail to Desktop 2, the same thing happens, except if I Command+N to make a new mail message it THEN pans over to desktop 2.

Same things happens for the opposite. If I command+N from Mail to go to Safari, it doesn't pan over. But if I do something like command+T to open a new tab the focus shifts to Desktop 1.

It's weird... I actually have to double click on icons in the Dock menu to shift focus. Once again, the first click shifts focus to the program in the menu bar, and the second click actually plans over to its desktop

This should do the trick:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

modig posted:

Does anybody have a good Google Reader/Mac/iPhone RSS reader solution? I've been using Newsfire for a few months on my MBA, and I find it helps me waste less time checking websites for updates. I just want something like that that uses google reader to sync read status between my home and work macs and my iphone. Bonus points if it can automatically download full articles into the feed even if the feed tries to give you just a snippet. I'm happy to pay, I just don't want to pay for a crappy solution.

Reeder for Mac/iPhone/iPad. Best in class.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Xandu posted:

The Ars Technica reviews go into it a bit

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/13

It works with time machine and I haven't noticed any performance issues since I turned it on.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted. Guess I'll go ahead and do it.

Right now I have a Knox volume for work documents, but it gets really annoying.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

dazjw posted:

Is anyone else having a problem where Safari (5.1, Lion) decides to reload your tabs when you switch to them? Kind of like using an iPad 1, but more annoying since my MBP has 8GB of ram and most of it is free.

Yup.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Corbet posted:

Reeder for Mac/iPhone/iPad. Best in class.

You and the Mac App store rankings agree, thats good enough for me.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

modig posted:

I use this http://www.grumlapp.com/ which is specifically designed for google reader.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Really?

Like what?

I just backup my important files and reinstall everything at yearly intervals. Windows is still pretty terrible in some regards. (I even do this for things like my iPhone, but hopefully I won't have to do this for my Mac... we'll see)
For the most part you're right, most people probably never need to go in there. However the more you mess with your system (particularly hacky things) the more likely you'll mess around in there. It's kind of a self fulfilling thing :v:

Kenshirou posted:

Does Aperture 3 just run like poo poo on all machines (without SSD)? My Macbook Air 11in has run it just fine, but my new Mini Server definitely slows down when trying to scroll through a bunch of photos, and in general it seems to take up a lot of memory. The CPU in this machine should kick the poo poo out of my MBA, so I'm just assuming it's the SSD that made it load fast to begin with.

Also, I did a few benches at stock since I won't be getting 8GB for a few weeks. Cinebench is 4.3~, and Geekbench is 8700~. If I had 64-bit Geekbench I'm assuming my score would be up a little bit, but still that's a pretty drat good score for such a small computer. I've considered reinstalling with a striped RAID setup to increase performance, but I think I'll just keep the second drive as a Time Machine/media drive.
Yeah I think Aperture just hits the drive hard, probably more so when first running or importing too (to generate thumbnails and whatever other metadata scrubbing). I guess check Activity Monitor (or install MenuMeters or whatever) to see how much it's hitting the drive. Also, RAIDing the drives may not help if it's just doing a crapload of random accesses.

dazjw posted:

i posted before in here about my MBP's crufty 4-times-migrated Lion install that was running much shittier than a fresh install. Didn't want to clean-install because, ick, what a hassle, so I spent an hour or so diving through my ~/Library and /System/Library and a few other places and I think I found the problems, or at least the important ones. It's running a lot smoother now, especially from a cold start, when it used to be unusable for 5 minutes or so while safari would beachball.
You shouldn't have had to go through /System, or were there some random kexts and stuff in there?

I'd say the clean way is easier but it just depends on the situation. In my case I know I have a lot of crap that I won't be needing along with a few years of randomly installed stuff that may or may not be hiding around, so I'll be starting clean when I get a new mini...but it's so much stuff that it'll take a while to clean so I'll just do it afterwards when upgrading my current one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there a way to actually type emoji in OS X other than just dragging them from the special characters window into a text field? ❔

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

RIP Rivet. :smith:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dazjw posted:

It's a feature, actually. It has to do with the new resume stuff. Some apps allow for an iOS style "suspend" of sorts that basically results in it quitting or dumping one of its processes when OS X deciders it needs more resources. The logic is that you won't notice if an app has quit because as soon as you switch back to it via CMD+Tab or the Dock the resume feature lets the program snap back to life exactly the way you left it.

I'm not sure why it happened on a computer with 8GB of ram though. In my experience, Safari has only let OS X dump its Web Content process once or twice and I'm on a 2010 MBA with 2GB of ram. Could be a bug.

In any occasion, I don't mind the feature much.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I installed Reeder on my MBA and my iPhone, and it seems pretty sweet. I didn't even know about Readability, but Reeder uses it and it is nice. My only complaint so far is on the Mac version. I have it set up full screen, with two columns on the left not taking up much space. The text is on the right, and it doesn't use up it's space well. The text remains narrow, and there is a bunch of empty space on the right and left of the text. Does anybody know how to change that, to make it use more of that space?

modig fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I put Lion on my 13" Macbook Pro right before I bought my new Mini to replace it. I'm not sure why I did that, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, if I do a clean install of Lion on my MBP, is it associated with my Apple ID at all? How should I prepare this thing to sell to someone? Just do a clean install of Snow Leopard and let them deal with it?