Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Mo0 posted:

is there a TVersity equivalent for Mac? I'd like to stream my videos to my 360, but I can't seem to find a player that will transcode stuff; all my Google searches are getting me is Connect360 or people asking for a TVersity Mac version.

I think you can run TVersity on the mac, but there are a couple of other ones you could use:

PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) - Has 360 'unofficial' support. Free.
MediaLink (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink) - Works great, should support PS3/360. $20

Edit: Whoops, medialink is only for the PS3, Connect360 is the one you want - http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

Edit2: And for TVersity I was thinking of TwonkyMedia Server, which will run on a mac (haven't used it though). There seem to be a bunch of them that all are front ends to basically open source on the fly video encoders.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So, how do you get the 'route all traffic over VPN' to work right? I'm connecting to a m0n0wall, and with Windows it works fine.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

MrEnigma posted:

I think you can run TVersity on the mac, but there are a couple of other ones you could use:

PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) - Has 360 'unofficial' support. Free.
MediaLink (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink) - Works great, should support PS3/360. $20

Edit: Whoops, medialink is only for the PS3, Connect360 is the one you want - http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

Edit2: And for TVersity I was thinking of TwonkyMedia Server, which will run on a mac (haven't used it though). There seem to be a bunch of them that all are front ends to basically open source on the fly video encoders.

Connect360 doesn't seem to be able to see any of my videos. I'll try ps3 media server next, thanks for the list!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Either Lion or the latest iTunes update really improved AirPlay.

Before, AirPlay would really choke with my setup. I keep my music on a wireless network drive, so my computer was, I think, pulling the music down from my network drive just to bounce it back over wireless to my Apple TV. What would often happen was that songs would stutter, the first few seconds of tracks wouldn't come through, and there was a noticeable delay while everything buffered. Now though, it works flawlessly. Nicely done, Apple.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Xandu posted:

http://supersync.com/

I've never used it, but it seems do you what you want.

thanks! looks promising

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Connect360 appears to not be able to transcode on the fly, which sucks, but VLC (which is free) is able to transcode, so once this test transcoding is finished I'll find out if I've done it right. Thanks again, MrEnigma.

After further tooling around, HandBrake is the transcoding tool to use. I had to mess with precisely zero settings to get it to transcode to a .m4v that the Xbox could see.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 25, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xandu posted:

Assuming the songs came from different sources, there's probably something in the Info tab that differs between them.

Space Racist posted:

What usually works for me is just to highlight all of an album's tracks, select 'get info', then manually re-type all the ID3 info. After saving it'll usually force iTunes to regroup them. Not very efficient if it's a widespread problem, but if it's just Adele you're regrouping then it's not so bad. :shobon:

amf5 posted:

This happened to me too, turns out iTunes retardedly groups poo poo based on the non-visible "album artist" tag.

IUG posted:

I'm a bit late on this, but when this happens you select the whole album and get info. Make sure the Artist and Album field are showing the name. If they are, then they're the same. But sometimes you have to add a space after either one of those to in order to fix it. "Muse" to "Muse ", etc. And then back again. It's fixed it every time for me.

Also, click on Album, then again, then one more time to sort by Artist by year of album release.

Thanks all, that's a pretty straightforward fix. I did not know you could edit multiple files simultaneously.

A few related questions -- and tell me if I should take it to the iTunes thread -- I have been using MusicBrainz Picard to tag my music (most of which is legit from Amazon these days; never thought I would say that). Is there a more Mac-like tagger?

Second, using an external tagger, I notice that iTunes doesn't seem to update the metadata for changed tracks. In particular, I am thinking of the genre tag. I always strip that out after I listen to the album and re-tag it. Now that I know I can mass-edit files in iTunes it shouldn't be too hard to clean up, but if there was a way to have iTunes do it automatically that would save me literally minutes every month!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kobayashi posted:

Thanks all, that's a pretty straightforward fix. I did not know you could edit multiple files simultaneously.

A few related questions -- and tell me if I should take it to the iTunes thread -- I have been using MusicBrainz Picard to tag my music (most of which is legit from Amazon these days; never thought I would say that). Is there a more Mac-like tagger?

Second, using an external tagger, I notice that iTunes doesn't seem to update the metadata for changed tracks. In particular, I am thinking of the genre tag. I always strip that out after I listen to the album and re-tag it. Now that I know I can mass-edit files in iTunes it shouldn't be too hard to clean up, but if there was a way to have iTunes do it automatically that would save me literally minutes every month!

By default iTunes copies every single file in your library to its own folder system in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. If you're manually tagging a bunch of poo poo, the most likely explanation for your changes not propagating back into iTunes is that you're probably editing the wrong file.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

amf5 posted:

By default iTunes copies every single file in your library to its own folder system in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. If you're manually tagging a bunch of poo poo, the most likely explanation for your changes not propagating back into iTunes is that you're probably editing the wrong file.

Oh I know enough to turn that off. Just to be sure though, I double-checked, and there is nothing there. I'll take it to the iTunes thread though. I don't want to derail this one any further.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I fuckin' love my new 13" MBA, but to be honest, the type is really loving tiny in Safari, resulting in me having to command-+ every time I open a new page. I've told Safari to bump up the font size in it's preferences, but it doesn't seem to stick. Is there a way to be able to have Safari permanently be able to display at a larger size overall so I don't have to whip out reading glasses all the time?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

I fuckin' love my new 13" MBA, but to be honest, the type is really loving tiny in Safari, resulting in me having to command-+ every time I open a new page. I've told Safari to bump up the font size in it's preferences, but it doesn't seem to stick. Is there a way to be able to have Safari permanently be able to display at a larger size overall so I don't have to whip out reading glasses all the time?
Have you tried Prefs->Advanced->Never use font sizes smaller than [_]?

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
Have we talked about Automatic Termination yet? I don't really see the point of letting the system kill my apps when it could just swap them to disk.

I hit this today in an admittedly minor incident with Xcode. I had told it to go grab all its documentation sets. This is several hundred megabytes, maybe several gigabytes, and I went to do other stuff and forgot about it. Later when I switched back to it, the Xcode process had apparently been selected for automatic termination as its windows were dimmed and there was a spinner in the middle of them which took several seconds to finish spinning and let me use Xcode again. When it did, it again asked for my password to install the Xcode docs... apparently it had been killed at some point in the download process and needed to resume.

Which obviously isn't the worst thing in the world, but what's the benefit? Mac OS X has always had virtual memory, why bother reinventing the same functionality?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
For some reason the [timg] tag doesn't work like it used to. Now I can't mouse over the TIMGed images for the little blue "make original resolution" button. I've tried googling, but I haven't been able to figure out why it happens.

Does anyone else have this problem, and can someone please oh please tell me how to get it back. :cry:

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Crowley posted:

For some reason the [timg] tag doesn't work like it used to. Now I can't mouse over the TIMGed images for the little blue "make original resolution" button. I've tried googling, but I haven't been able to figure out why it happens.

Does anyone else have this problem, and can someone please oh please tell me how to get it back. :cry:

I think this is a problem with webkit2 - Chrome exhibits the same behavior and IIRC it's also webkit2-based. This page in the Chrome thread lists some workarounds that people use for that browser but I haven't had a chance to see if any of them work in Safari yet.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

vlack posted:

Have we talked about Automatic Termination yet? I don't really see the point of letting the system kill my apps when it could just swap them to disk.

I hit this today in an admittedly minor incident with Xcode. I had told it to go grab all its documentation sets. This is several hundred megabytes, maybe several gigabytes, and I went to do other stuff and forgot about it. Later when I switched back to it, the Xcode process had apparently been selected for automatic termination as its windows were dimmed and there was a spinner in the middle of them which took several seconds to finish spinning and let me use Xcode again. When it did, it again asked for my password to install the Xcode docs... apparently it had been killed at some point in the download process and needed to resume.

Which obviously isn't the worst thing in the world, but what's the benefit? Mac OS X has always had virtual memory, why bother reinventing the same functionality?

Because page faults are the absolute worst case thing you can do. Apple did a shitton of work for iOS 4 to eliminate page faults because the flash storage in the iDevices is sloooooooooow. Very noticeably slow. Carmack even wrote an article on Rage iPhone (can't seem to find it through google) where if he tried to stream from the flash memory it just wouldn't work no matter what because it was so slow.

So even the flash memory on the iDevices is really slow, a spinning disc is going to be an order of magnitude slower at least. In the end, the benefit is NOT using virtual memory because it's the most terrible thing you can do. If the OS is smart enough to tell an application to suspend itself and the app can respect that, that'll free up resources and reduce the chance of page faults for something that really needs it. The decision process for figuring out if it can be safely suspended is simple: "it must not be the active application, it must have no visible, non-minimized windows". And this makes logical sense, if you have something that isn't active and hidden, then you're not using it.

It is a bit disturbing how network activity doesn't exclude it from the list, but it kind of makes sense. It should be up to the application to decide if the network activity is important enough to allow suspension or not, rather like on iOS if you receive applicationDidReceiveMemoryWarning: then it's your job to bail as much water as possible since the OS has no clue what's safe to bail and what isn't in your app. In the case of Xcode, apparently the developers figured that downloading documentation wasn't important enough to ignore the suspend signal.

Microsoft has actually done something sort of similar since way back in 95. If you minimize an application, you're more than just minimizing it. You're telling the OS that you're not using it, and Windows will attempt to reclaim CPU cycles and memory from it with priority to the active process. The biggest difference is that Windows won't ever close or suspend a process entirely, but I wouldn't put it past them to implement that in the future with all of the mobile segments they're getting into.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Granite Octopus posted:

Anyone else have issues with external displays not working on MBP after upgrading to Lion?

I have a 13" MBP (mid-2010) and if I connect an external display, the whole system slowly locks up over the period of about 5 seconds.

I can keep dragging windows around for a bit, but eventually it stops responding altogether and I have to reboot.

Tried a different MiniDP-DVI adapter but had the same problem. Blew into the DP port in case there was crud in there, and wiggled the cable around.

The monitor is a cheap samsung (bx2440) which I've been using without issue for about 4 months.

There is an old cinema display somewhere I'll try at lunchtime, but trying to work on this tiny 13" screen is quite annoying.

I tried an old 23" DVI cinema display, and it worked perfectly. Absurdly, its a combination of:

• mid-2010 13" MBP
  • Lion
  • Samsung screen (specifically SyncMaster BX2440)

Does anyone else have this combination, and is it working for you?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

vlack posted:

Have we talked about Automatic Termination yet? I don't really see the point of letting the system kill my apps when it could just swap them to disk. [. . .] Mac OS X has always had virtual memory, why bother reinventing the same functionality?

Swapping the memory contents of a running process to disk takes significantly longer than the application writing just a little bit of state info. While the process is not in memory, its pages don't need eviction and swapping to disk if another application needs more memory. (Edit: And as someone above me wrote, page faults suck.)

It may also not be possible to swap to disk all of the pages allocated on behalf of the application. During the process' lifetime, memory may be wired on its behalf. These pages cannot be swapped out.

The other answer, wider in scope, is that Automatic Termination is part of the larger application lifecycle in Lion:

Auto Save + Restore + File Coordination + Sudden/Auto Termination = Reduction in the burden of application and document lifecycle management placed upon the user

quote:

That sounds like a bug in Xcode, and you should report it. Bugs are fixable.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 25, 2011

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Xandu posted:

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the only way to fix that is to backup your files and do a clean install.

It's probably one minor messed up file or setting, but one that will take forever to find if you don't get lucky.

I ended up doing this. I tried Migration Assistant just for fun, selectively limiting what got migrated, but couldn't make the issue go away. So it definitely seems tied to the user account (if I wasn't happy just to be done, I'd make a new account and try it). Anyway it's fixed so gently caress it. Thanks for the help.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Mikey-San posted:

That sounds like a bug in Xcode, and you should report it. Bugs are fixable.

Especially because (from the Ars article):

quote:

[...] it must not be the active application, it must have no visible, non-minimized windows—and, of course, it must explicitly support Automatic Termination.
but you said it had windows open?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Got my Time machine backups copied across and it's working brilliantly now, thanks Mikey-San

Bob Morales posted:

So, how do you get the 'route all traffic over VPN' to work right? I'm connecting to a m0n0wall, and with Windows it works fine.

For some reason, it hasn't ever worked the way I believe it should. to have all traffic routed through the VPN you'll need to use the "Set Service Order" option in the network preferences and drag the VPN all the way to the top.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well, it's happened to me. I just got into work and was confused for a few seconds about why my Windows PC's scroll wheel was working backwards all of a sudden.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

Have you tried Prefs->Advanced->Never use font sizes smaller than [_]?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I've got an external hard drive that's in FAT32 that has some broken folders and stuff. What's my best option for recovering it?

I have a copy of GetDataBack, but it's Windows-only, which makes it a bit of a pain to copy the files etc as I have to either do it in a VM or in Boot Camp. Are there any decent recovery options in OSX?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

theperminator posted:

Got my Time machine backups copied across and it's working brilliantly now, thanks Mikey-San

For some reason, it hasn't ever worked the way I believe it should. to have all traffic routed through the VPN you'll need to use the "Set Service Order" option in the network preferences and drag the VPN all the way to the top.

Mine was more of the issue that I was allowing TCP but not UDP from the VPN clients to the internet :doh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

timb posted:

Clean install feels snappier on my 2010 MBA 13" by far.

The nVidia drivers are updated over the ones in SL, probably tweaked for Lion.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

The nVidia drivers are updated over the ones in SL, probably tweaked for Lion.

The drivers aren't updated during a normal install?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

modig posted:

The drivers aren't updated during a normal install?

Huh? I don't understand your question. The ones in Lion are newer than the ones in SL. They tend to get updated even between point releases.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Trackpad Options... has the options for Drag Lock now.

Awesome. Thanks!

wafflesnsegways posted:

Are you using BetterTouchTool? I think this is a known issue with BTT and a few applications, including VLC. It happens to me with VLC, too. There's a checkbox in the BTT preferences that's supposed to fix it, but that was making it buggier, so I turned it off.

No, I'm not v :(v

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 25, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Has anyone got sshfs working in Lion, and how?

I installed Lion and it stopped working, and I'd installed sshfs quite a while ago and have since forgotten how I did it. I can only find source code when I google for it, and I'm sure I didn't compile it myself last time. Can anyone enlighten me as to the easiest way to make it work again?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Anjow posted:

Has anyone got sshfs working in Lion, and how?

I installed Lion and it stopped working, and I'd installed sshfs quite a while ago and have since forgotten how I did it. I can only find source code when I google for it, and I'm sure I didn't compile it myself last time. Can anyone enlighten me as to the easiest way to make it work again?

IIRC you need MacFUSE for that. You gotta troll around on Google and find some beta build that someone made because the one on Google Code is ancient as gently caress and doesn't work. If you look in your Console you should see an error message every time you try to use sshfs. Google the error and the beta build should pop up.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Anyone else have a problem with the dock size resetting to the smallest possible every time you log back in?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

gregday posted:

From John SIracusa's twitter feed:

code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

:siren:PUT THIS IN THE OP PLEASE:siren:

(it turns off stupid animations when you start a program)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Petey posted:

:siren:PUT THIS IN THE OP PLEASE:siren:

(it turns off stupid animations when you start a program)

I wish someone would figure out how to disable that stupid IOS correction typing thing system-wide. I hate having to disable it on every application.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

flyboi posted:

I wish someone would figure out how to disable that stupid IOS correction typing thing system-wide. I hate having to disable it on every application.

I think this does it:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So with Lion, I'm guessing the Gestures are available only if you have a new imac with the new keyboard or if you have a macbook with a touchpad, right? The rest of us with year old imacs and mouse don't get to do the gestures?

Stupid question I'm guessing, but I figured I would ask.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

nwin posted:

So with Lion, I'm guessing the Gestures are available only if you have a new imac with the new keyboard or if you have a macbook with a touchpad, right? The rest of us with year old imacs and mouse don't get to do the gestures?

Stupid question I'm guessing, but I figured I would ask.

You just need a multitouch capable mouse/touch pad for it to work.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Does Quicktime Player 7 still exist / work in Lion?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Karsh posted:

I think this does it:

Actually it didn't. At least not immediately. I had to click that and then restart in order for it to take effect but I think it has.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

flyboi posted:

You just need a multitouch capable mouse/touch pad for it to work.

Oh sweet. I should be able to use it then, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Petey posted:

Does Quicktime Player 7 still exist / work in Lion?

Yup. I think it's buried in some application package somewhere, but I can still right-click on a file and open it with Quicktime 7.