Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

wolffenstein posted:

As for in case something should happen to either of you, I can say from a recent family death the best way to do this is to include your master password into your will. Sounds bizarre, but it's the most effective and useful way. Or at least directions how to get it, like storing a piece of paper in a safety deposit box.

This is totally in the plans--at least, we're going to store it written down in the same place we're storing the will, which should hopefully be good enough. My primary worry about having it written down too many places is then when it changes, we have to make sure all those places get updated.

To a certain extent, I think what my wife wants is for us to share one account; LastPass's personas seems pretty up to that task (they even mention it in the documentation). I'm just a little wary of 1) keeping my passwords in the cloud like that, and 2) requiring an Internet connection to LastPass to access them (the Internet connection alone isn't as worrisome: I need a connection to connect to the site I need a password for; it's requiring a connection to LastPass specifically that bothers me).

My inclination at the moment is to work a little with LastPass because it's free, and see how I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You don't actually need an active connection to use the last pass extension on desktop or mobile.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I just upgraded to 10.9 (from, uh, 10.6.8 :v:) and I'm really missing the "blank selection with esc." Is there a substitute for that shortcut in this OS or am I gonna find myself clicking on blank space a whoooooole lot more?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The White Dragon posted:

I just upgraded to 10.9 (from, uh, 10.6.8 :v:) and I'm really missing the "blank selection with esc." Is there a substitute for that shortcut in this OS or am I gonna find myself clicking on blank space a whoooooole lot more?

Blank what selection? Literally have no idea what feature you're talking about, need a little more context

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

BobHoward posted:

Blank what selection? Literally have no idea what feature you're talking about, need a little more context

My guess is he means if you have files selected in finder you can't press esc to unselect them. I'm a Mac newbie so no idea if that's an old feature.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that definitely used to be there although I never really used it... Clicking somewhere that doesn't select anything accomplishes the same thing.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else been having issues with Flash since the most recent patch? The plugin keeps crashing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Opt-cmd-A

The option key strikes again!

By the way I did not know this, literally 10 seconds of googling reveled the answer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh poo poo, thanks! It's a bit more unwieldy than just hitting escape, but hey, it'll let me jump through folders quickly enough.

e: I guess I added cmd+Esc as a Deselect All shortcut, I'm gonna see if I can gently caress around with some other settings to cut out the part that requires me to hold down cmd.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 13, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pivo posted:

Well iTunes and the App Store do always ask you for your password when you're making a purchase and poo poo, for good reason.

I don't know why Facebook would log him out though, maybe something's up with the Keychain, go to Keychain Access and see what's there, from the prefs there you can enable a Keychain icon in your menu bar that will allow you to lock/unlock your various keychains, it might just be an issue with security settings elsewhere, or aggressive security settings in the browser (like deleting all cookies on exit?)

Or maybe dude is accidentally using private browsing/incognito/etc mode.

I use Adium to connect to Facebook Chat, it works a treat.

Figured it out, it was Skype messing around. Even though it wasn't even connected; removing its access, though, has solved my problems.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

eatenmyeyes posted:

Has anyone else been having issues with Flash since the most recent patch? The plugin keeps crashing.

Youtube stuff at 1080'll reliably kill flash (or the whole browser, depending) for me. Turning off HW Accel fixes that, but then all of your frames'll be scattered on the floor rather than beamed into your eyeballs.

Then again, I upgraded flash to 13.n because it was crashing doing this, so I'm half-tempted to believe it's not entirely flash's fault; it doesn't seem to be a problem — for me, at least — on other sites, just youtube, and just with HW Accel on, so maybe that's the issue.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zenostein posted:

Youtube stuff at 1080'll reliably kill flash (or the whole browser, depending) for me. Turning off HW Accel fixes that, but then all of your frames'll be scattered on the floor rather than beamed into your eyeballs.

Then again, I upgraded flash to 13.n because it was crashing doing this, so I'm half-tempted to believe it's not entirely flash's fault; it doesn't seem to be a problem — for me, at least — on other sites, just youtube, and just with HW Accel on, so maybe that's the issue.

It's all over the place for me in Safari and Foxfire. It started immediately after I ran the patch. If it's only me, maybe a fresh install is in order.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks! It's a bit more unwieldy than just hitting escape, but hey, it'll let me jump through folders quickly enough.

e: I guess I added cmd+Esc as a Deselect All shortcut, I'm gonna see if I can gently caress around with some other settings to cut out the part that requires me to hold down cmd.

I probably wouldn't do that as that might mess with esc as a full screen app escape.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It should be fine since I only define it as a shortcut for Finder, right?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Anyone using XtraFinder or TotalFinder?

I read that you can get back labels instead of tags in finder with either.
I used this feature a lot before mavericks, it would speed up my workflow.
The only difference is XtraFinder is free, TotalFinder is $18.

The only post I found recent was this one that said there was lag, but that was 2013.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005&pagenumber=296&perpage=40#post411107813

the_lion fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 14, 2014

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

the_lion posted:

I'm using TotalFinder and like it pretty well, though I'm still using Mountain Lion.

It is a little laggy on occasion. Switching back to the Finder will give a SPOD for a couple of seconds sometimes, for example.

I haven't tried XtraFinder yet.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Copying from the iOS app thread:

I've never seen anyone mention Dashlane during this whole Heartbleed scare, but for my money it's the best password manager out there. Nice design, free the first six months (if you share the app on social media or something like that and after that it's only 30 dollars a year), great browser extensions and the best iOS password manager app I've tried. Give it a shot: https://www.dashlane.com/

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I might have missed this part of the conversation, but aside from cross-platform support, what does a password manager gain you over the built-in iCloud Keychain? I've never used any of the third-party tools so I'm genuinely curious (just not curious enough to spend money first).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
iCloud Keychain is an okay implementation currently. Works great for syncing Safari and wifi passwords, but if you want to save a password you put into a Mac or iOS app, it's nearly impossible. The effort to get your Safari password for Facebook so you can plug it into the Facebook iOS app is very annoying to say the least. However I will commend Apple for the effort they put into making iCloud Keychain secure. The fact it's an entirely separate process from signing in with your Apple ID is a clear sign Apple takes customer security and privacy seriously.

There's also the all devices lost problem. Because iCloud Keychain only works on recent Macs and iOS devices, you're SOL if you have access to neither. LastPass.com and 1Password (when used with Dropbox) offer ways to view your password data in any web browser. If you do get access to a recent Apple device, you have to remember two passwords (Apple ID and iCloud Keychain Code) or three if you turned on two factor authentication on your Apple ID (Apple ID, Recovery Key, and iCloud Keychain Code).

My recommendation is to use both, but rely on iCloud Keychain only for convenience. It was really awesome when I entered a friend's wifi password into my Mac to see it had synced to my iPhone, and he was impressed despite hating what Apple stands for.

LastPass is free for desktop and web browser syncing, while 1Password has a free trial for their desktop app.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 14, 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
For me, the thing that puts 1Password (and presumably others) above iCloud keychain is the ability to store arbitrary data in it. It can make an assumption that if I'm at a slightly different URL, that the login information still applies; for example if I'm on amazon.com it will fill my amazon.ca password, which is the same, unless I tell it I have different information. With iCloud keychain this is impossible.

Also I have to use linux at work, and 1Password, despite having ZERO linux support, at least provides a method to access your information, if not any sort of browser integration (for that you probably want lastpass)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

the_lion posted:

I read that you can get back labels instead of tags in finder with either.
I used this feature a lot before mavericks, it would speed up my workflow.
The only difference is XtraFinder is free, TotalFinder is $18.

The only post I found recent was this one that said there was lag, but that was 2013.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426005&pagenumber=296&perpage=40#post411107813

I used both of them at points when I was still on Mountain Lion.

XtraFinder seemed more polished and well coded than TotalFinder did to me as well, although it's been almost a year since I used either of them.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

ZShakespeare posted:

For me, the thing that puts 1Password (and presumably others) above iCloud keychain is the ability to store arbitrary data in it. It can make an assumption that if I'm at a slightly different URL, that the login information still applies; for example if I'm on amazon.com it will fill my amazon.ca password, which is the same, unless I tell it I have different information. With iCloud keychain this is impossible.
To be clear, LastPass also has this capability, and even has a global list of popular sites that share the same login.

As part of the great password change of 2014, I reduced the number of separate items I had in 1Password from over 700 items down to under 300. In older versions of 1Password, you couldn't easily combine login info and other things like security questions and two factor authentication backup codes into a single entry. 1Password 4 fixed that thankfully.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I use online banking and I need to get all of my instances that I paid for gas for this year. How can I get this information without logging in and copy and pasting or using tons of screenshots?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

b0nes posted:

I use online banking and I need to get all of my instances that I paid for gas for this year. How can I get this information without logging in and copy and pasting or using tons of screenshots?

A lot of banks will let you export your transactions as a csv file, it would be a good place to start. If you can get one, you can use grep or excel to search for the transactions you want.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

b0nes posted:

Heh, computer solution? As the guy said, find out however your bank lets you export your data and search through it. You might miss a few if you're not careful, sometimes merchants appear as pretty strange names, I always have the hardest time figuring out "what the gently caress did I buy and what is this place?" then I realize they're just strangely named.

Not-computer solution? Get an Amex and buy all your gas with that. They give you a year-end summary and you can drill in to purchases by category. It's pretty badass.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pivo posted:

Heh, computer solution? As the guy said, find out however your bank lets you export your data and search through it. You might miss a few if you're not careful, sometimes merchants appear as pretty strange names, I always have the hardest time figuring out "what the gently caress did I buy and what is this place?" then I realize they're just strangely named.

Not-computer solution? Get an Amex and buy all your gas with that. They give you a year-end summary and you can drill in to purchases by category. It's pretty badass.

Or use Mint... Or Check.me.. Getting a credit card to get at this information is a bit overkill

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Or use Mint... Or Check.me.. Getting a credit card to get at this information is a bit overkill

Ha ha, pleb thinks Amex is a credit card!

I kid, I kid. They do have credit cards now apparently...

(Mint doesn't automatically know the category for all merchants yaknow)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pivo posted:

Ha ha, pleb thinks Amex is a credit card!

I kid, I kid. They do have credit cards now apparently...

(Mint doesn't automatically know the category for all merchants yaknow)

Their Costco credit card is better than their charge cards for the average person. Actually it took a lot of use just to get my gold card (because of yearly fee) to come even with costco so I ditched it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So, for a while I was bitching about not being able to use disk images with the Mavericks Migration Assistant.

Just stumbled across an article that makes it possible. The trick is: just before you run Migration Assistant, mount the disk image as root like so:

sudo hdiutil attach ~/Desktop/yourimage.dmg

MA logs out all active users but runs under root itself.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Copying from the iOS app thread:

I've never seen anyone mention Dashlane during this whole Heartbleed scare, but for my money it's the best password manager out there. Nice design, free the first six months (if you share the app on social media or something like that and after that it's only 30 dollars a year), great browser extensions and the best iOS password manager app I've tried. Give it a shot: https://www.dashlane.com/

30 a year for what 1pw does for a onetime cost doesn't really make it look all that great

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know how I can get scrolling to work the way I want in terminal emulators? In both iTerm2 and the default terminal, when I open a nano document and try to scroll down it does nothing, and when I try to scroll up it just scrolls through my terminal session.

Compare this to gterm which I use at work where when I open nano, it lets me scroll up and down no problem, much like in a gui text editor.

Is there anyway to get the latter behaviour in OS X?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Binary Badger posted:

Just stumbled across an article that makes it possible. The trick is: just before you run Migration Assistant, mount the disk image as root like so:

sudo hdiutil attach ~/Desktop/yourimage.dmg

MA logs out all active users but runs under root itself.
That's sweet - thank you.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm XML posted:

30 a year for what 1pw does for a onetime cost doesn't really make it look all that great

1pw will still charge you for upgrades though right? Does this one cover you on all common platforms without paying for each individual one?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They've already cranked out 7 betas for 10.9.3.

Unrelated: but can anyone recommend a good flashcard app that sync between OS X and iOS? I know it's a topic that comes up infrequently either here or the iOS app thread, but I can't recall what the usual recommendations are.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

1pw will still charge you for upgrades though right? Does this one cover you on all common platforms without paying for each individual one?

You'd have to buy mac, windows and iOS versions separately.

On my PC, I use the HTML file in the .agilekeychain package on Dropbox to look up passwords. It doesn't allow me to modify stuff, so I just dump new logins into a text file in Dropbox and take care of it next time I use my mac.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I'm not sure how to pose this question about iCal, but here it goes:

I'm looking for a way for the calendar to auto-add events when I add a certain event. I just started home brewing beer, so what I'm trying to accomplish is:

1. I manually add "Brew: Porter" on Jan 1
2. The app automatically adds "Rack: Porter" on January 14 (and "Bottle: Porter" on January 21, and "Drink: Porter" on February 5)

Essentially I want to be able to create an event, and then have another event auto-created 2 weeks later (and 3 and 5). It sounds like an IFTTT recipe, but I don't see an option for iCal anywhere. Is there any way to make this work?

Millions fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 16, 2014

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not sure, but Automator may be able to do that.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Millions posted:

Essentially I want to be able to create an event, and then have another event auto-created 2 weeks later (and 3 and 5). It sounds like an IFTTT recipe, but I don't see an option for iCal anywhere. Is there any way to make this work?

No of course that functionality won't exist in a basic calendar app that's a very select use case.

You might be able to accomplish it with IFTTT if your Calendar.app (not iCal anymore) is linked to google but even then it might take a few different steps in IFFFT

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could be a good candidate for AppleScript if you are happy to add these events through a dialog box rather than into iCal directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Millions posted:

I'm not sure how to pose this question about iCal, but here it goes:

I'm looking for a way for the calendar to auto-add events when I add a certain event. I just started home brewing beer, so what I'm trying to accomplish is:

1. I manually add "Brew: Porter" on Jan 1
2. The app automatically adds "Rack: Porter" on January 14 (and "Bottle: Porter" on January 21, and "Drink: Porter" on February 5)

Here's an option: in Calendar.app, you can set reminders to go off after as well as before an event. You could create an event, set reminders for 14, 21 and 35 days later, and then copy/paste that event every time you brew something new. You wouldn't get specific messages for rack / bottle / drink but it's an easy way of achieving the basic notifications without mucking about in Applescript.