Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Djimi posted:

It's all proof that reading and replying in the forums is ultimately a waste time for everyone, I suppose.

I think individual support questions should really go into the tech support forum, and it'd maybe also be time for a separate Mac buyer's guide thread that would help people figure out the eternal question of whether they'll need 4 or 8 gigs for "some web browsing and light photo and video editing", among other things.

There are surely some support questions of general interest, but that guy's question wasn't one. At least with the more general questions, I can delude myself that if I reply and get some silly reaction from the person who asked, it may still be helpful for someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Seconding flatten as probably the best course of action. Breaking out debuggers is fine when it's your own code, but any knowledge gained would only result in a bug report that might result in a fix or it might not, meanwhile she still can't actually, you know, use the software. Sucks that it had to come to this, but if it's not a known issue and reinstalling iMovie had no effect it's kind of the next step. At least Time Machine is easy to use.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Eight Is Legend posted:

If you haven't gotten a password manager yet (and you really should), you can get six months free Dashlane Premium (and I can, too :) ) if you use my referral link: https://www.dashlane.com/en/cs/3bb0463c

Thanks for this - I just got 6 months free premium. I hope you do too. :)

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Pivo posted:

She lives like, hours away. So we gotta do this remotely.
I didn't know you weren't/wouldn't be doing the work yourself - my apologies.

carry on then posted:

Breaking out debuggers is...
Applejack isn't debugging, and is just a quick download and install, a reboot holding CMD+S and then typing 'applejack AUTO'
I think that is very good use of time, even when somebody is being helped remotely. Sure it could waste another 15+ minutes doing that... but wouldn't it be wonderful if it 'fixed' the issue? I suppose I'm heavily biased because I engineer solutions and fix people's problems for a living.

But yes — a reinstall can work wonders as well, :agreed: (when did that 'smiley' come along?)

Djimi fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 17, 2014

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

You can make the Outlook Web Mail into an web-app using Fluid, http://fluidapp.com/

I use it myself for Xbox Music - works flawless, and opens in a self-contained browser window.

I really like this, but I have two websites I use that aren't safari friendly. Can you modify fluid to use a different browser, or is anyone aware of another similar app that does?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

bimmian posted:

I really like this, but I have two websites I use that aren't safari friendly. Can you modify fluid to use a different browser, or is anyone aware of another similar app that does?

I'm pretty sure it was discontinued but maybe you could get Mozilla Prism to work.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

So regarding iMovie/Final Cut not exporting, she tried with her sister's computer with the same files and everything worked fine. So she's gonna back up her important poo poo and just do a fresh install of the OS and that should hopefully help. She works across the street from an Apple Store so they can even do it for her and I don't have to go anywhere. Yay.

Would be interesting to know what was loving it up, but I'm not gonna lie I just don't care that much.

Also LOL at having her install Xcode

Why would you jump to fresh os install before re-installing iMovie? And is this iMovie '13 that uses the iMovie library? because it could also be the library file.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Why would you jump to fresh os install before re-installing iMovie? And is this iMovie '13 that uses the iMovie library? because it could also be the library file.

It's the latest one from the App Store, this happened with a fresh install of iMovie.

Why would it be the library? Why would that affect the encode? *shrug* Doesn't make sense to me, but no we haven't tried nuking the library.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

It's the latest one from the App Store, this happened with a fresh install of iMovie.

Why would it be the library? Why would that affect the encode? *shrug* Doesn't make sense to me, but no we haven't tried nuking the library.

Fresh install of iMovie doesn't mean it installed properly.

Have you tried on a different user account? It could also be permissions/ACLs.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

bimmian posted:

You can change the Fluid app's user agent via the menu bar: App Name/User Agent. I made a Gmail app for my work mail that I set to Chrome and it works just fine.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

binarysmurf posted:

Thanks for this - I just got 6 months free premium. I hope you do too. :)

I did, thanks :)

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

pipes! posted:

You can change the Fluid app's user agent via the menu bar: App Name/User Agent. I made a Gmail app for my work mail that I set to Chrome and it works just fine.

Ah, great. Thanks

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

User has Macbook. User sad. User want to make big folder of files. Make box around files and dump lots of files from lots of different small folders. Sometime same file in different small folders. Sometime same file already in big folder. When user copy some box of files and paste into big folder, Finder say: Replace/Stop/Keep Both. User not want to copy file from box to big folder. User want to keep only file already in big folder. Press: Stop. Not work. Press: Replace. Not work. Press: Keep Both. Not work.

Help User. Can make Finder only paste new files?

Edit: Just doing the same thing as described and suddenly a dialogue box pops up, only this time instead of 'Keep Both' it was 'Skip'. Cool. But the next time it was back to 'Keep Both'. Does it change depending on the files? Say, if they are exactly the same size it offers 'Skip' but if the sizes are different it's 'Keep Both'?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 17, 2014

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

SMERSH Mouth posted:

User want to keep only file already in big folder (:words: minus grammar)....
Say everything is in your Desktop directory you want to copy, say everything you want in a big folder is at the root of your User directory and is called bigfolder (or even if it's not created yet this will make one). Open up Terminal:
code:
$ cd Desktop [return]
rsync -avh --ignore-existing ./* ~/bigfolder [return]
Voila.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Good to know that I can add that parameter to a command from the terminal, but I'm unfortunately dealing with (someone else's) big huge insane working directory, trying to get a bunch of image files organized so that InDesign doesn't poo poo itself with broken links every time I open it. I need a GUI. There are a lot of duplicate folders, folders with very minor content differences, and image files of the same photo saved at different sizes and quality levels with different file naming systems, and stuck in folders seemingly at random. I feel like I'm going insane. I guess it's probably prudent to just always 'Keep Both' when offered, and now I'm discovering that Finder seems to know if the files really are exactly the same and offer the 'Skip' option sometimes instead. I think.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I need a GUI.
arRsync Mac OS X frontend for rsync. Free.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
there's also chronosync which may be more friendly to use.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Very cool. Much appreciated.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
I have a refurb rMBP from early 2013 coming today. I think it's coming with Mountain Lion installed. Should I just upgrade to Mavericks right away?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
iTerm2 just updated with some pretty swank poo poo: http://www.iterm2.com/downloads.html

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Guancho posted:

I have a refurb rMBP from early 2013 coming today. I think it's coming with Mountain Lion installed. Should I just upgrade to Mavericks right away?

I can't think of any reason as to why not.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

crazysim posted:

I can't think of any reason as to why not.

Cool thanks. This is my first Mac and I'm just not sure of anything right now

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Guancho posted:

Cool thanks. This is my first Mac and I'm just not sure of anything right now

Everything is beautiful and nothing hurts.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Except trying to adjust to the POS that is Finder if you're somebody reasonably experienced with using Windows Explorer.

coldsnap
Jun 28, 2004
Pixelmator is on sale for $15.99.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

pretty sweet so far

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

GokieKS posted:

Except trying to adjust to the POS that is Finder if you're somebody reasonably experienced with using Windows Explorer.

What exactly is supposed to be so awful about Finder? I've never understood it. I use Windows and OS X almost everyday, and I never find myself missing Explorer.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Toe Rag posted:

What exactly is supposed to be so awful about Finder? I've never understood it. I use Windows and OS X almost everyday, and I never find myself missing Explorer.

I also hated the Finder when I switched from Windows to OSX. I spent a few years using PathFinder, then switched to TotalFinder for the past few years. I consider TotalFinder a must-have for the following features:
• put folders at the top of the directory structure (Windows does this, Finder does not)
• tabs and split panes (Explorer still doesn't do this AFAIK)
• hot key to slide Finder in from the bottom/top of the screen visor-style, regardless of which Space you're on (another thing Explorer can't do AFAIK - do new Windows versions even have built-in virtual desktops yet?)
• toggle to show hidden/system files (Windows does this with a check box toggle in its Options but TotalFinder lets you assign a keyboard shortcut to hide/show, which is nice)
• automatically adjust column widths (Windows doesn't do this AFAIK)

So yeah, most of the features I can't live without aren't features that are available in Explorer anyway.

I also spend a lot of time on the command line and find it's often easier to use some regex-using series of piped commands to handle complex file manipulation than trying to do it in Finder. Having a real Unix shell (zsh in my case) is so much better than trying to get stuff done in Windows CLI with PowerShell or even CygWin.

I guess my suggestion to people who can't stand Finder is to buy TotalFinder and/or buy some kind of Learning Linux/BASH book.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Eight Is Legend posted:

If you haven't gotten a password manager yet (and you really should), you can get six months free Dashlane Premium (and I can, too :) ) if you use my referral link: https://www.dashlane.com/en/cs/3bb0463c

Used this as well. Did you get another 6 months of premium? Cheers for posting the link.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lawen posted:

I also hated the Finder when I switched from Windows to OSX. I spent a few years using PathFinder, then switched to TotalFinder for the past few years. I consider TotalFinder a must-have for the following features:
• put folders at the top of the directory structure (Windows does this, Finder does not)
• tabs and split panes (Explorer still doesn't do this AFAIK)
• hot key to slide Finder in from the bottom/top of the screen visor-style, regardless of which Space you're on (another thing Explorer can't do AFAIK - do new Windows versions even have built-in virtual desktops yet?)
• toggle to show hidden/system files (Windows does this with a check box toggle in its Options but TotalFinder lets you assign a keyboard shortcut to hide/show, which is nice)
• automatically adjust column widths (Windows doesn't do this AFAIK)

So yeah, most of the features I can't live without aren't features that are available in Explorer anyway.

I also spend a lot of time on the command line and find it's often easier to use some regex-using series of piped commands to handle complex file manipulation than trying to do it in Finder. Having a real Unix shell (zsh in my case) is so much better than trying to get stuff done in Windows CLI with PowerShell or even CygWin.

I guess my suggestion to people who can't stand Finder is to buy TotalFinder and/or buy some kind of Learning Linux/BASH book.

Almost all of those are strictly preference, with the exception of hidden files which should be rarely needed in OS X. Mavericks has added tabbed windows.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Merging folders is a pain and cannot be accomplished through finder, you need to rely on ditto or rsync.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kingnothing posted:

Almost all of those are strictly preference, with the exception of hidden files which should be rarely needed in OS X. Mavericks has added tabbed windows.

Well yeah, I was talking about why I preferred TotalFinder. Which seemed germane to a discussion about why people prefer Explorer to Finder. :confused:

Also, probably the biggest pain point for moving from Explorer to Finder is that you can't expand the folder structure in-line in the sidebar of Finder like you can in Explorer. To copy a file to a subfolder that isn't in the sidebar you either have to fiddle with putting 2 Finder windows on screen so you can drag from one to the other or do an awkward drag and hover to navigate the file system (and lose your original place in the filesystem). TotalFinder's split pane view is much more tolerable.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Kingnothing posted:

lol someone doesn't deal with dotfiles

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Finder has improved a bit with the introduction of tabs, but it's still aggravating as hell. Top on my list of annoyances is that it is basically impossible to have a "default view" (with proper column sizing) for all folders, ESPECIALLY if network folders are involved. .DS_Store's existence would be annoying even if it actually worked properly, but that it doesn't is just adding insult to injury. I would kill to have a "Apply view to all folders" function a la Windows Explorer in Finder.

Anyway, I use PathFinder, which is decent enough. Not being able to use the same shortcuts for tab navigation as basically every other tabbed program in the world (ctrl-tab and ctrl-shift-tab) is annoying though.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol someone doesn't deal with dotfiles

You try and use a GUI to deal with dotfiles?!?!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Textual will be free on the Mac App Store on July 23rd. It's also when the beta begins for their next major release. It's my favorite IRC client for OS X and was the first thing I purchased when the MAS opened.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Textual will be free on the Mac App Store on July 23rd. It's also when the beta begins for their next major release. It's my favorite IRC client for OS X and was the first thing I purchased when the MAS opened.
I endorse this software and would purchase it at full price again because it's great.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mad Wack posted:

Merging folders is a pain and cannot be accomplished through finder, you need to rely on ditto or rsync.

It works better in Yosemite.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Mercurius posted:

I endorse this software and would purchase it at full price again because it's great.

Textual owns. Got it based off a recommendation here, and it makes you an IRC wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use a mix of irssi and Textual. irssi is really nice if you have the time to set it up just how you like it, but Textual is just click and go. It's unfortunately not as customizable as something like irssi is, but it can display images inline and stuff and the GUI is intuitive. It can be a bit slow at times though with a lot of windows open, which is strange.