Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Riven posted:

They've said from the beginning there won't be any wipes.

Also, upgraded to PB3, and still no continuity features other than those 20 glorious minutes at Starbucks the other day, when it only went one way from my mac to my phone. It seems to be something to do with how my MBP or my phone handles bluetooth, as my phone can see my mac in Airdrop, but my mac can't see my phone. Going with the mac because it's still in beta, where the phone is running the GM.

Continuity is working surprisingly well for me. When it first got set up, it was garbage until it turned Handoff off and then back on, on every device.If you haven't tried that, its worth a shot. Though I am running it on the entire range of newest crap in each category, so that could be why everything works for me. No part involved is older than a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

OH YEAH. Now I remember why I hated Safari. Apple removed the "warn when quitting with more than one tab open". Cmd-Q is precariously close to Cmd-W, and Apple's preferred "reopen last closed tabs" is a poor substitute for a quit warning when you've got a tab with text entered, or are using a stageful web app.

There's got to be an extension to fix this, right?

I don't know how to add a warning, but you can change Cmd-Q to something else in the Keyboard preference pane. Apple support's instructions. I use it to make Cmd-V in Apple Mail always match formatting.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

SaturdayKnight posted:

Continuity is working surprisingly well for me. When it first got set up, it was garbage until it turned Handoff off and then back on, on every device.If you haven't tried that, its worth a shot. Though I am running it on the entire range of newest crap in each category, so that could be why everything works for me. No part involved is older than a year.

I've tried rebooting both devices, turning Bluetooth and wifi on and off, changing wifi networks, changing Airdrop preferences, turning Handoff on and off, logging out of and into iCloud on both devices, logging into and out of FaceTime, etc. brand new 2014 15" MBP and an iPhone 5.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

:stonklol:

E:

kode54 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 16, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Has anybody used Parallels 10? I'm currently on 9 and I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade; I mostly use it to play games and occasionally access Windows-only resources at work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

Has anybody used Parallels 10? I'm currently on 9 and I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade; I mostly use it to play games and occasionally access Windows-only resources at work.
I upgraded from 9 to 10 because, well I don't know why. Can't say I notice much of a difference, but I use it for synthesis and simulation tools, rather than gaming.

I should really force myself to stick to an every-other version policy with Parallels.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Martytoof posted:

OH YEAH. Now I remember why I hated Safari. Apple removed the "warn when quitting with more than one tab open". Cmd-Q is precariously close to Cmd-W, and Apple's preferred "reopen last closed tabs" is a poor substitute for a quit warning when you've got a tab with text entered, or are using a stageful web app.

There's got to be an extension to fix this, right?

IDK about the stateful web app part but it does give you a warning if you have text entered -- tried it just now while composing this reply.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

1st AD posted:

With Parallels versions you really have to ask yourself "is there something about the current version that I'm dissatisfied with AND that is fixed in the next version?" Usually the only pressing reason to upgrade is to get support for new guest OS versions since they're notoriously stingy about backporting fixes. If you're currently fine then there isn't much of a reason to upgrade, but there's always a free trial available if you just positively have to see for yourself and can back up your VMs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Well it sounds like it's not really worth it then.

I only upgraded from 7 to 9 because of Mavericks and I probably won't be upgrading to Yosemite until I have to for Adobe or Davinci updates.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't know how to add a warning, but you can change Cmd-Q to something else in the Keyboard preference pane. Apple support's instructions. I use it to make Cmd-V in Apple Mail always match formatting.

I'd like to make use of this. There's a key combination for Safari that closes all but the current tab. I sometimes press it by accident but I don't know what it is.

Does anybody know what it is so I can remove it in this way?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
cmd opt w
Close Other Tabs is the menu item, if you need it.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 16, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Zenostein posted:

cmd opt w
Close Other Tabs is the menu item, if you need it.

This is very very good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Safari is still kind of wonky for me but I think that's a hardware issue on my end more than anything else.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is the auto hotspot working between 8GM and Yosemite DP latest?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Riven posted:

I've tried rebooting both devices, turning Bluetooth and wifi on and off, changing wifi networks, changing Airdrop preferences, turning Handoff on and off, logging out of and into iCloud on both devices, logging into and out of FaceTime, etc. brand new 2014 15" MBP and an iPhone 5.

This has pretty much been my experience and as such I've given up on seeing any of this functionality in September, not the biggest deal now that they have disabled the SMS features and that's all I ever wanted. I'm still hoping for a tiny chance they enable some of them back when they officially release iOS 8 on Friday.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

theadder posted:

This is very very good.

Remember you can always hold modifier keys while looking at the menu to see if any items change.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the current hotness for activating side mouse buttons as back/fwd in Safari history, etc? SteerMouse? I don't mind if it's a pay product. I connected my G700 to my Mini. I was going to buy a touchpad but at this point I may as well stuck with the G700 if I can get the buttons working.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

What's the current hotness for activating side mouse buttons as back/fwd in Safari history, etc? SteerMouse? I don't mind if it's a pay product. I connected my G700 to my Mini. I was going to buy a touchpad but at this point I may as well stuck with the G700 if I can get the buttons working.

I have a G700 as well and always used SteerMouse. I've switched to a magic mouse on my laptop so haven't used SteerMouse in 10.10 yet but it always worked well for mapping my buttons for games. I believe you can get them working with BetterTouchTool, but it has been a while since I've tried, I just remember it not being suited for my needs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

phosdex posted:

Should I drop $16 on istat menus or is there something else with its functionality.
Speaking of iStat Menus, I just noticed that it has an option to display current GPU. I guess I don't need to keep gfxCardStatus around unless I want to force my machine to use Iris Pro.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Martytoof posted:

Any reason why you can't just use Logitech Gaming Software?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Have you tried BetterTouchTool? I've never used it for a normal mouse but it claims it can, and you can do awesome poo poo with BTT.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
USB Overdrives works too. Nagware.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

GokieKS posted:

Any reason why you can't just use Logitech Gaming Software?

Because it is loving awful at everything and doesn't give you any real control.

You want steermouse. I use it with my g700.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Because it is loving awful at everything and doesn't give you any real control.

You want steermouse. I use it with my g700.

Previous versions had their share of problems, but the current version works perfectly fine in my experience.

Though the surface tuning function for the G502 doesn't work with SmoothMouse (which I consider required for using a mouse on OS X) enabled, but disabling it to run the tuning and then re-enabling it worked fine.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
If your Logitech mouse is one of the few that are actually programmable, you can temporarily install Logitech Gaming Software, then program the back and forward buttons to actuate Cmd+[/]. Of course, then you're hosed if you ever want to use them for anything else, like say back and forward navigation in Windows.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The home share works fine, thanks for the tip. I also realized the sound de-synching is due to the sound coming from the macbook instead of the tv like it would when air psyching my iPad. Is this a setting somewhere to fix?
I've seen this before on my setup. The audio and video outputs are handled separately on the Mac I guess, so when you do AirPlay it's probably just doing the video, in which case you also have to select AirPlay as your audio output as well. If you have the volume control in your menubar you can just option click it to control the output target (instead of having to open system prefs and changing it there).

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Have you tried BetterTouchTool? I've never used it for a normal mouse but it claims it can, and you can do awesome poo poo with BTT.

I use BTT to map buttons on my m705, and it works like a charm.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dik-dik posted:

If all I want to do is set my external mouse to have inverted scrolling (so I can have 'natural' scrolling on my trackpad but 'regular' scrolling on my mouse), is this something BTT can do? I gave it a look and got the impression it's mostly for macros, but the options were a bit overwhelming so I didn't search for long.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

TACD posted:

If all I want to do is set my external mouse to have inverted scrolling (so I can have 'natural' scrolling on my trackpad but 'regular' scrolling on my mouse), is this something BTT can do? I gave it a look and got the impression it's mostly for macros, but the options were a bit overwhelming so I didn't search for long.

https://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Yeah this is what you want. This is about (afaik) the only thing BTT couldn't do, and the only thing I wanted it to do.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any free applications or service that can stream my itunes library and playlists over the internet through a webpage?

I was looking at PlexPass but that's paid and I'm even sure if it supports iTunes Playlists.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Any free applications or service that can stream my itunes library and playlists over the internet through a webpage?

I was looking at PlexPass but that's paid and I'm even sure if it supports iTunes Playlists.

Can I ask the purpose?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Google Music.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Mopidy?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

lol internet. posted:

Not even sure? Or you are sure it does? Because it does. Though it doesn't support some really basic poo poo like shuffle. That said, you don't even need a plexpass to use the iTunes channel

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I didn't even notice that 10.9.5 came out ~4 hours ago.

That one flew a bit under the radar!

edit: Combo update is here.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 18, 2014

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Just thought I'd point out that Safari in DP8 is horribly misrendering your APNG gang tag, but you probably know of this already. :[

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Kingnothing posted:

Can I ask the purpose?

Just wanted to have access to my music library while I'm at work.

benisntfunny posted:

Not even sure? Or you are sure it does? Because it does. Though it doesn't support some really basic poo poo like shuffle. That said, you don't even need a plexpass to use the iTunes channel

Not sure if it supported streaming itunes playlist.

I thought plexpass was a paid feature?

edit: Holy crap, seems to work. When I logged in, I didn't see the launch button.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 18, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't even notice that 10.9.5 came out ~4 hours ago.

That one flew a bit under the radar!

edit: Combo update is here.

Don't forget to run Software Update one more time after 10.9.5 is installed to get Safari 7.1 which now includes DuckDuckGo as one of its search engines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

lol internet. posted:

I thought plexpass was a paid feature?

It is. But they give away way too much stuff for free.