Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So this new continuity allegedly lets me call people using my phone on the mac. Do they have to be existing contacts or is there a dialer somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Peven Stan posted:

So this new continuity allegedly lets me call people using my phone on the mac. Do they have to be existing contacts or is there a dialer somewhere?

You can input a number in facetime if you don't have a contact.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Peven Stan posted:

You can also select a phone number in safari and use the dropdown.

Also a number in textedit shows a call option in the context menu.

e. Or anywhere, I just tried it from my twitter client and safari's addressbar. Seems to require an area code, though.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 30, 2014

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Continuity is really dodgy for me on a late 2013 15 rMBP, iPhone 5S and retina mini. Calls often come in and they ring on the Mac and the iPad but if I answer on the phone the Mac just keeps merrily ringing away, which is annoying if I'm sitting at my desk. If I answer on the iPad the phone and the Mac stop ringing but the call fails 50% of the time. If I answer on the Mac some voodoo combination of the above usually occurs. It's annoying. It is nice being able to call out on the Mac when I leave my phone downstairs, but then most of calls in the day are to conference bridges so no proper keypad is a hassle. It all feels like it's not quite ready for prime time.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else having a problem with not being able to manually copy songs to their iphone from itunes 12? Everytime I drag them over to the phone it just hangs at "preparing to update" in the status bar and then goes away, leaving the songs uncopied but sitting greyed out in the iphone with the little copy circle progress on the left side.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AirDrop your entire library :getin:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Anyone else having a problem with not being able to manually copy songs to their iphone from itunes 12? Everytime I drag them over to the phone it just hangs at "preparing to update" in the status bar and then goes away, leaving the songs uncopied but sitting greyed out in the iphone with the little copy circle progress on the left side.

Make a playlist for your phone, manage that, and have your phone sync from that. ITunes has no problems doing that.

This post brought to you by the iTunes sperg. (The previous method gives me an aneurysm as it's so complicated as you have to have the phone plugged in, and manually delete and add to those sub menus.)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

Make a playlist for your phone, manage that, and have your phone sync from that. ITunes has no problems doing that.

This post brought to you by the iTunes sperg.

Ok I'm going to restore my phone and try this. This is the buggiest iOS release ever and apple should feel bad

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Peven Stan posted:

Ok I'm going to restore my phone and try this. This is the buggiest iOS release ever and apple should feel bad

Works 100% for me, thanks tim.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Works 100% for me, thanks tim.

I restored my iphone and it said it contained 20 GB of mystery music in the summary somehow on the device even though the music field shows its completely empty.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
apple should have higher standards than this. Certain posters in this thread should also have higher standards than manually copying music to their phones.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fleshweasel posted:

apple should have higher standards than this. Certain posters in this thread should also have higher standards than manually copying music to their phones.

Sorry, been doing this for a decade since my phone and previous ipods (with the exception of my iPod w/ video) are not big enough to fit my library of 3k songs.

edit: meant to add that this used to work great in itunes 4 but has gotten shittier and shittier ever since. They should really do something about how bloated and terrible itunes is now.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 30, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've had to wipe my phone and restore the music at least three times now. But if HD space is a problem, make a smart playlist with a limit of a few gigs below that, and have it cycle out your most recently played tracks.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Sorry, been doing this for a decade since my phone and previous ipods (with the exception of my iPod w/ video) are not big enough to fit my library of 3k songs.

edit: meant to add that this used to work great in itunes 4 but has gotten shittier and shittier ever since. They should really do something about how bloated and terrible itunes is now.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/ I hope this helps you.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Spotify is also a really good way to send music to your phone (at least, it is for Android).

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah this is exactly my problem, I've resorted to using the power button now whenever I need to shutdown, it's very annoying.

Steadiman posted:

It kindly quits all the open apps and then it just...stops.

If you want to help fix this, take a sysdiagnose (run 'sysdiagnose' for info about what it does) when it hangs by hitting Control-Option-Command-Shift-Period. Wait five minutes, then reboot. You should have a file in /var/tmp with 'sysdiagnose' in the name when you reboot. Attach that to a bug that you file at bugreport.apple.com, and post the bug number here.

If that doesn't work, you can hold command-V when rebooting to enable verbose mode, which logs stuff to the screen during boot up and shutdown. You might see something interesting in the log when shutting down that will tell you what's going on.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Steadiman posted:

It kindly quits all the open apps and then it just...stops.
Neat. As soon as I read this post, I went to pack up for the evening, shut down my machine, and it did exactly this for the first time ever.

chimz posted:

If you want to help fix this, take a sysdiagnose (run 'sysdiagnose' for info about what it does) when it hangs by hitting Control-Option-Command-Shift-Period. Wait five minutes, then reboot. You should have a file in /var/tmp with 'sysdiagnose' in the name when you reboot. Attach that to a bug that you file at bugreport.apple.com, and post the bug number here.
Okay sure.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bug report #18821425

Also it did this while trying to fill out the bug, so I'm gonna make sure my Time Capsule backups are good tonight :ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just reset my PRAM and... The other thing... (SMC?) and the problem SEEMS to be gone for now.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Guy years ago who said Tim Cook is gay was absolutely FABULOUSLY correct!

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay

Edit: Years ago when Tim first became CEO someone in one of these Apple threads mentioned of rumors of him being gay. You guys are amazing!

decypher fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not exactly a secret.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

fordan posted:

vs just using Control-Shift-Eject (or Control-Shift-Power if no eject button)?

My keyboard has neither eject nor power. Also I'll never remember that stupid combination and end up randomly slapping key combinations until I give up and do what I do now (username menu in top right corner)

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

withak posted:

Not exactly a secret.

Precisely, wasn't he more publically "outed" a few months ago by some journalist since it's an open secret on the level of nuclear weapons and Israel?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

xilni posted:

Precisely, wasn't he more publically "outed" a few months ago by some journalist since it's an open secret on the level of nuclear weapons and Israel?

Felix Salmon. It was right after he became CEO.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have a question about Applescript. I'm using Viscosity to connect to my home VPN on my rMBP. Obviously I don't need to connect to the VPN when I'm home and with Viscosity I can run an Applescript to tell it to not connect on X SSID. At home I have my router running both on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz. The 2.4 is named X, while the 5 is named X_5.

Here is my current Applescript
code:
set wifinetwork to do shell script "networksetup -getairportnetwork en0 | awk '{print $4}'"

if wifinetwork is equal to "X_5" then
	return "ViscosityNoConnect"
else
	return "ViscosityConnect"
end if
Is there a way to have it so I can use either SSID, ie X or X_5? I've never written anything in applescript before.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
So far for me, Yosemite has been like death from a thousand paper cuts.

The default size & location of my Finder window randomly resets, at least once a day. It'll default to some other size (way too small) and some other location (random somewhere in the middle of the screen, not locked to a side, top or bottom, or corner).

My Safari window also randomly changes its size or location. It seems to jump all over the place rather than stay the size and position where I leave it.

For the third or fourth time now, Messages shuffled the order of my conversations, instead of the way I had them arranged in order by priority/frequency of contacts. When it shuffles them, they're not sorted by time, name, or in any other kind of order I can determine.

It's been years since I've been this frustrated with a new version of OSX.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Does anyone have Synergy working at the login screen on Yosemite?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

calandryll posted:

code:
set wifinetwork to do shell script "networksetup -getairportnetwork en0 | awk '{print $4}'"

else
if wifinetwork is equal to "X" then
Else
End if
end if

That was harder than expected on an iPhone.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I was removing some old software from my Mac and noticed some old-rear end Kernel Extensions in /System/Library/Extensions. I'm wondering if it's safe to purge them.

The extensions in question are:
    * ATITVOut.kext - last updated Nov 10, 2007 - I googled this, apparently it's for older ATI cards with a TV out function. I don't think I actually use it since everything is hooked up via display port.
    * KLog.kext - last updated May 23, 2010 - apparently this is part of some Apple debugging thing, and having the "wrong version" of it is really bad.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

wdarkk posted:

So I was removing some old software from my Mac and noticed some old-rear end Kernel Extensions in /System/Library/Extensions. I'm wondering if it's safe to purge them.

* ATITVOut.kext - last updated Nov 10, 2007 - I googled this, apparently it's for older ATI cards with a TV out function. I don't think I actually use it since everything is hooked up via display port.
    * KLog.kext - last updated May 23, 2010 - apparently this is part of some Apple debugging thing, and having the "wrong version" of it is really bad.

You should leave system folder maintenance to Apple.

E: Think of it this way: Are you willing to potentially have to redo the OS over a couple of MB of data? If you're not experiencing any problems I'd just leave it alone.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hey! posted:

My keyboard has neither eject nor power. Also I'll never remember that stupid combination and end up randomly slapping key combinations until I give up and do what I do now (username menu in top right corner)
The other thing you can do is go into Keychain Access->Preferences and turn on 'Show keychain status in menu bar'. It'll put a padlock icon in the menu bar that has a 'lock screen' function that you can get to in two clicks from anywhere. Also has the added benefit that if you've got your screensaver turned off it'll immediately put your screen to sleep.

Also, Yosemite seems to have changed the default 'require password after sleep/screensaver' option in System Preferences->Security to be 5 minutes instead of immediately. Not so great if you're trying to improve security in a shared office environment.

edit:

calandryll posted:

I have a question about Applescript. I'm using Viscosity to connect to my home VPN on my rMBP. Obviously I don't need to connect to the VPN when I'm home and with Viscosity I can run an Applescript to tell it to not connect on X SSID. At home I have my router running both on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz. The 2.4 is named X, while the 5 is named X_5.

Here is my current Applescript
code:

else
end if
Is there a way to have it so I can use either SSID, ie X or X_5? I've never written anything in applescript before.
Check out ControlPlane, it does context specific stuff like this and you might be able to get it to fire your VPN connection on network changes to specific SSIDs.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 30, 2014

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shin-chan posted:

You should leave system folder maintenance to Apple.

E: Think of it this way: Are you willing to potentially have to redo the OS over a couple of MB of data? If you're not experiencing any problems I'd just leave it alone.

I have the UI freezing up occasionally. Also I'm planning to redo the OS soon anyway.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

wdarkk posted:

You can use "kextstat" to print the list of loaded kernel extensions. My bet is that neither is loaded -- ATITVOut because you don't have the relevant hardware, and KLog because you're not actively debugging USB with USB Prober (which appears to be what installs KLog.kext).

Removing KEXTs which are neither loaded nor plausibly expected to load any time in the future shouldn't harm anything, but it won't help anything either.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

BobHoward posted:

You can use "kextstat" to print the list of loaded kernel extensions. My bet is that neither is loaded -- ATITVOut because you don't have the relevant hardware, and KLog because you're not actively debugging USB with USB Prober (which appears to be what installs KLog.kext).

Removing KEXTs which are neither loaded nor plausibly expected to load any time in the future shouldn't harm anything, but it won't help anything either.

Huh, so you're right. I'll ignore them I guess. The freezing up is probably just mechanical hard drives being bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

is SMS forwarding broken for anyone else? Got my 6 a few nights ago and in the settings it shows the option to enable forwarding to my Mac Mini, but when I toggle the slider and it asks me for a code from my Mac, the Mac doesn't show any codes :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do you have Messages open?

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
Also make sure you're using an email address for iMessage.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have messages open, and I've got my phone number and like 4 email addresses listed on my iMessages account on both my phone, iPad, and Mac :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Try signing out and back into iMessage on everything? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Martytoof posted:

is SMS forwarding broken for anyone else? Got my 6 a few nights ago and in the settings it shows the option to enable forwarding to my Mac Mini, but when I toggle the slider and it asks me for a code from my Mac, the Mac doesn't show any codes :(

japtor posted:

Try signing out and back into iMessage on everything? :iiam:

This was what ultimately worked for me.

I had a slightly different problem when trying to enable it on mine though. In my case, the code would show up, I'd enter the code, and then Messages would be like "gently caress your code, here's another one to enter". It was great because the code dialog is a modal dialog so the only way to stop the madness was to Force Quit the app in OSX.

That said, I signed out of iMessage on my phone and back in and that resolved the issue.