Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I'm still investigating this "UI freezes while waiting for disk" thing.

Is it normal for cfprefsd (which is apparently the preferences daemon) to write 23.41GB of data in two days of uptime?
Is it normal for tccd (which manages the contacts database) to read 11.22GB of data in the same timeframe?

I wish there was a way to see total reads/writes for each process as IOPS. It lists total for the OS and instantaneous IOPS at the bottom but not per-process anywhere that I can see.

It might be that this UI stuttering is just me not having an SSD right now, but I figure it's worth investigating. I really don't want to do a clean install (or rather, a User-data only install) right now, but I probably will next time I get a new Mac.

EDIT: tccd read 500MB of data while I typed this post. Why is there 500MB of anything in my contacts database?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh cool, Microsoft released Outlook 2015 for OS X.

*downloads DMG*

*Installer says that it will take 701.1 MB of space*

:staredog:

*...installs it anyway*

[Edit: Well, it seems to work! No keyboard shortcuts for Archiving in Gmail (not that I expected there to be...). Thankfully you can make your own and Command+Control+A isn't used.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 31, 2014

smr
Dec 18, 2002

lelandjs posted:

Oh cool, Microsoft released Outlook 2015 for OS X.

*downloads DMG*

*Installer says that it will take 701.1 MB of space*

:staredog:

*...installs it anyway*

[Edit: Well, it seems to work! No keyboard shortcuts for Archiving in Gmail (not that I expected there to be...). Thankfully you can make your own and Command+Control+A isn't used.]

Yeah, just upgraded mine from 2011 to this. It's basically the OWA interface from O365 in an app. Which is fine, because that's the best version of Outlook available right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

701mb lol.

This better be loving AMAZING.

edit: Oh good it won't connect to Exchange 2010 pre-SP2 ...

Guess who's company is dumb and doesn't have SP2 installed.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 31, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

701mb lol.

How the hell is an iOS update 5GB?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

As an added bonus, there are lots of reports of activation errors with the new Outlook, so make sure to keep an installer for 2011 at hand.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

How the hell is an iOS update 5GB?

5GB is the working space to install it, which is not surprising if you basically have to take a copy of the entire OS, apply updates to it and then reboot into it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
wrong tghread, i do like software though

WIFEY WATCHDOG fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 31, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dark Mode + Increase Contract + Spotlight:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tippis posted:

As an added bonus, there are lots of reports of activation errors with the new Outlook, so make sure to keep an installer for 2011 at hand.

As a follow-up to this. Someone screwed up in silly ways.

Apparently, setting your locale to US will make the activation go through. So if you've made any custom changes to currency or number forms, make note of those before trying to go through with the activation.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Martytoof posted:

701mb lol.

edit: Oh good it won't connect to Exchange 2010 pre-SP2 ...

Guess who's company is dumb and doesn't have SP2 installed.

Wait... Aren't the service packs loving free?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rufius posted:

Wait... Aren't the service packs loving free?

yes

:(

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Management: "But it's working! Why would we touch it if it's working?"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

wdarkk posted:

Is it normal for cfprefsd (which is apparently the preferences daemon) to write 23.41GB of data in two days of uptime?
Is it normal for tccd (which manages the contacts database) to read 11.22GB of data in the same timeframe?

1 day uptime
cfprefsd: 9.8MB written
tccd: 676KB read

Gonna go with "not normal" on both counts

quote:

I wish there was a way to see total reads/writes for each process as IOPS. It lists total for the OS and instantaneous IOPS at the bottom but not per-process anywhere that I can see.

:respek: Actually filed an enhancement request with Apple on this one a couple months ago, but that was far too late in Yosemite's schedule to get immediate action (assuming anyone saw my ER and wants to act on it).

quote:

It might be that this UI stuttering is just me not having an SSD right now, but I figure it's worth investigating. I really don't want to do a clean install (or rather, a User-data only install) right now, but I probably will next time I get a new Mac.

EDIT: tccd read 500MB of data while I typed this post. Why is there 500MB of anything in my contacts database?

Probably isn't, I'd guess something (cfprefsd??) is repeatedly overwriting a file and tccd is reading back some or all of the changes.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

wdarkk posted:

I have an SSD in my 2010 MBP but I'm having stuttering problems as well that weren't happening in Mavericks. Just had a look and cfprefsd has written 67.9GB over 10 days on my system too..

e: According to this thread Adblock Plus for Safari might be responsible. I've removed it and restarted to see if it makes any difference.

MOLLUSC fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 1, 2014

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MOLLUSC posted:

I have an SSD in my 2010 MBP but I'm having stuttering problems as well that weren't happening in Mavericks. Just had a look and cfprefsd has written 67.9GB over 10 days on my system too..

e: According to this thread Adblock Plus for Safari might be responsible. I've removed it and restarted to see if it makes any difference.

I saw an update for Adblock Plus so I'll try that first. If it doesn't help then back to regular Adblock.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

Mercurius posted:

The other thing you can do is go into Keychain Access->Preferences and turn on 'Show keychain status in menu bar'. It'll put a padlock icon in the menu bar that has a 'lock screen' function that you can get to in two clicks from anywhere. Also has the added benefit that if you've got your screensaver turned off it'll immediately put your screen to sleep.
That's a great tip, thanks. Never thought to look in Preferences of Keychain Access.

About the Powermate, I bought one and had it set up to do exactly what I want in just a couple minutes. Seems pretty sweet so far, I recommend it. (Rather than emulate a keystroke, it runs an Applescript that runs a shell script to go to the lock screen. I even get the fancy cube-rotate animation!)

Hey! fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 1, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does Yosemite forget to save settings for things? Notification center still notifies me about things I've told it to not notify me about and there are a few apps (updated for Yosemite) that reset toolbars etc. after restart.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stare-Out posted:

Does Yosemite forget to save settings for things? Notification center still notifies me about things I've told it to not notify me about and there are a few apps (updated for Yosemite) that reset toolbars etc. after restart.

I've seen this too so it's a bug.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Does anyone know how I can code something to check if my internet is working (ping something every few minutes?) and then if it's not, turn off and re-turn on the WiFi? The hostel I'm staying in seems to have a terrible router and every 20-30 minutes my connection drops. It seems that turning my wifi off and back on again seems to work, but I'd like to be able to get something to do it automatically rather than doing it manually.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Sad Panda posted:

Does anyone know how I can code something to check if my internet is working (ping something every few minutes?) and then if it's not, turn off and re-turn on the WiFi? The hostel I'm staying in seems to have a terrible router and every 20-30 minutes my connection drops. It seems that turning my wifi off and back on again seems to work, but I'd like to be able to get something to do it automatically rather than doing it manually.

I don't see why not.

Can't test this at the moment but:

Script:
ping address
- if response exit
- if no response
-- turn wifi off-> on
-- sleep 25 seconds
-- ping address
--- if response exit
--- if not try again?

Then set up a launch daemon to run it ever 5 - 10 minutes.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 1, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hey! posted:

That's a great tip, thanks. Never thought to look in Preferences of Keychain Access.

About the Powermate, I bought one and had it set up to do exactly what I want in just a couple minutes. Seems pretty sweet so far, I recommend it. (Rather than emulate a keystroke, it runs an Applescript that runs a shell script to go to the lock screen. I even get the fancy cube-rotate animation!)

Sorry for chiming in so late and this may have been mentioned. If you want to lock the screen easily, is there a reason you can't just use "hot corners"? You can have it start the screen saver or sleep and then just make sure the Security is set to lock immediately upon sleep or screen saver.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

flosofl posted:

Sorry for chiming in so late and this may have been mentioned. If you want to lock the screen easily, is there a reason you can't just use "hot corners"? You can have it start the screen saver or sleep and then just make sure the Security is set to lock immediately upon sleep or screen saver.

I said this pages ago and got no reply, I guess it's just Not Good Enough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I said this pages ago and got no reply, I guess it's just Not Good Enough.

That's why I thought I was missing some vital requirement. I see elventy-billion steps, automation, 3rd party software, but not the swipe mouse to unused corner and the OS will auto lock the computer.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

flosofl posted:

That's why I thought I was missing some vital requirement. I see elventy-billion steps, automation, 3rd party software, but not the swipe mouse to unused corner and the OS will auto lock the computer.

My guess is that the occurrences of accidentally locking the screen would be too annoying for some people. I know I end up triggering my hot corners accidentally a couple times a day but they just show my desktop or open windows. I use the Keychain status bar thingy myself.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I was led to believe that in Yosemite & iOS 8, it's possible to use a different cloud storage provider other than iCloud as the syncing backing store for iWork documents. I can't for the life of me work out how to set this up, despite copious Googling to that effect. Is it not the case?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've never heard that. The only thing is with extensions, cloud providers can add themselves to the share sheet so putting a Pages document in your Dropbox on iOS can be done from Pages.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I was led to believe that in Yosemite & iOS 8, it's possible to use a different cloud storage provider other than iCloud as the syncing backing store for iWork documents. I can't for the life of me work out how to set this up, despite copious Googling to that effect. Is it not the case?

No.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN

flosofl posted:

I know about hot corners, I think they're great! I specifically wanted a physical button I can press when I leave my desk.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
For the sake of minimalism, I'd like to know if I can change two things in Safari 8 on Yosemite. Is there a way to turn off history completely? And is there a way to have the omnibar function purely as a unified address and search bar, minus recommended search terms and items in my favorites and history?

I’d essentially like to turn off all of these items below my search:

I’ve already gone to Safari → Preferences → Search and disabled everything in that menu.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hey! posted:

I know about hot corners, I think they're great! I specifically wanted a physical button I can press when I leave my desk.

Well then, there's this if you just want it to lock when walk a preset distance away from the Mac (if you have an iPhone)

http://www.appuous.com/products/mac/keycard.html

EDIT: NVM Stay far away. It appears that it freezes unpredictably and can cause kernel panics.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 2, 2014

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Ctrl+shift+power (or eject if your keyboard doesn't have power) will initiate display sleep, which defaults to requiring a password on wake, last time I had it set up.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Yes. On iOS 8 you do this via share extensions (the Dropbox app has it already; don't ask me details, I don't use it) and on Yosemite you do it the same way you always did because there's never been the file management restrictions iOS has...

Edit: Sorry they're called storage provider extensions. The share extensions are a different beast.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 2, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Yes. On iOS 8 you do this via share extensions (the Dropbox app has it already; don't ask me details, I don't use it) and on Yosemite you do it the same way you always did because there's never been the file management restrictions iOS has...

If this requires you to share/export the document to Dropbox every time you modify it then no, it's not really replacing iCloud as the "syncing backing store for iWork documents." It's close, but you're still just exporting the document back and forth between Dropbox and iWork, making duplicates each time. Not really "syncing" anything.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
No, the whole point of the extensions is you're NOT making duplicates anymore. It was storage provider extensions I was thinking of though, not share extensions.

Edit: The new document picker also allows you to open documents from other apps without copying them, fyi. But this is the wrong thread for this conversation anyhow.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 2, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Does anyone have any recommendations for time tracking / project management software? I really just need basic stopwatch functionality that can save each incidence as whatever project I'm working on, so I can keep track of where I'm putting most of my effort in on any given day.

I've been using working hours for the past half month and it's a piece of poo poo. The basic functionality is exactly what I need but the bugs are just killing me. The latest one is that for some reason, ever since the new month began, all work is recorded for the day following. Example: I put in some time on a thing I'm writing this morning, and it double entered it for both today and tomorrow, and when I manually created an entry for the class I teach tomorrow it shows it on the 4th.

If anyone knows of a go-to program that does what that PoS does I'd love a recommendation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for time tracking / project management software? I really just need basic stopwatch functionality that can save each incidence as whatever project I'm working on, so I can keep track of where I'm putting most of my effort in on any given day.

I've been using working hours for the past half month and it's a piece of poo poo. The basic functionality is exactly what I need but the bugs are just killing me. The latest one is that for some reason, ever since the new month began, all work is recorded for the day following. Example: I put in some time on a thing I'm writing this morning, and it double entered it for both today and tomorrow, and when I manually created an entry for the class I teach tomorrow it shows it on the 4th.

If anyone knows of a go-to program that does what that PoS does I'd love a recommendation.

My group uses https://www.toggl.com to track things internal to our group. We use it to track time spent working projects, doing research/studying, lab work, and for when we've had a ticket escalated to us.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

flosofl posted:

My group uses https://www.toggl.com to track things internal to our group. We use it to track time spent working projects, doing research/studying, lab work, and for when we've had a ticket escalated to us.

I'm specifically looking for something that's not an online service. I do a lot of writing and when I'm doing that I tend to go completely offline in order to avoid distractions.

This is pretty silly. I've been looking for a couple hours, reading various reviews, but all the apps I find either seem to have some huge reliance on an online component, to the point where they won't work if I'm not connected, or are just awful and broken. It's just a glorified stopwatch and GUI to plug that info into a spreadsheet. It seems like there should be a glut of these.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
On the topic of things I want to do with iCloud that are likely impossible: is there no way to use family sharing to have custom alert times that propagate to the members? If we put an event on the shared calendar, a flight, say, I want the three hour alert time to be shown to all members, not just mine. However, it seems that other members just get the standard 15-minute alert, regardless of what mine is set to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe this? https://www.getharvest.com/

Oops not an online service. Beats me then. :iiam: