Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

site posted:

OneNote on Mac doesn't support 10.7. I tried qBT a few months ago, but even using setting copied from uT it managed to flood my (old) home network to the point of killing the cable modem. I'll give it another shot, I guess, but I'd rather have something that I know works. And I know there are lots of other music programs available, but I want foobar specifically. It's picky, and I've lived without it for a long time now so it's not a big deal. But if I was gonna put Wine on here anyways...

Used MacPorts because I assumed when the WineHQ MacOS page said that MP compiles and installs packages for you that that meant it hosted already complied packages for you to dl like repos for Ubuntu does. Evidently I was very, very wrong.

This laptop has 3GB RAM and I don't know how much OSX is affected by RAM but it runs great.

OneNote on Mac does support 10.10, so you should upgrade. MacPorts is for mouth breathers, use Homebrew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

carry on then posted:

Just install Java 6. Applications requiring specific versions of Java is an issue on Windows, too. There's really no other point than just doing the download when it prompts.

The issue probably arises from the fact that Java 6 and prior were packaged and maintained by Apple, but Oracle took over for Java 7.

Sonic Dude posted:

Welcome to Java. My favorite is when one app wants 7u71 and one wants 7u58 or whatever. You can at least install 6, 7, and 8 all at once. When apps want a certain update you're pretty well screwed.

Long story short, if Adobe wants SE6, you'll need to install it. Java isn't as backwards-compatible as one would expect a modern piece of software to be.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I was worried it'd cause weird incompatibilities, glad that's not the case.

flavor posted:

I'd like to see more detail on Photoshop and Illustrator asking for ancient Java versions. Are CC 2014 versions even using Java?

I'm still using CS6.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I don't have anything for your question, but... if you didn't know about this already, when you want to watch something on Twitch try adding "/hls" to the URL, as in "twitch.tv/streamname/hls". This gets you the beta HTML5 based HTTP live streaming. It doesn't always work, but when it does it rules because you don't need flash at all and they have yet to implement all the junk in the normal Flash-based windows so the player window is effectively always "pop-out" mode.

Awesome, I'll try this when I get home. HTML5 supremacy!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

disheveled posted:

I'm still using CS6.
Photoshop doesn't need Java. I noticed that if you let the CS6 install absolutely everything then you end up with some sort of Java dependency. I just don't let it install all of the Adobe crapware and end up with a perfectly fine CS6 install with no Java installed. Same with Lightroom.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is airmail still the go to mail app these days? My office just switched to exchange and I don't think I can handle dealing with outlook.

Edit: Wow airmail looks terrible.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 15, 2014

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is airmail still the go to mail app these days? My office just switched to exchange and I don't think I can handle dealing with outlook.

Edit: Wow airmail looks terrible.

After installing Yosemite, I had Airmail v1 working no problem. I don't know why, but I still decided to drop the cash on v2. Load of poo poo. Maybe I'm not enough of a 'power user' but I can't notice any difference from v1. And after waking my macbook from sleep, Airmail has to frequently be closed and reopened to catch up with any new mails - if I don't do this it will sit there for hours without getting new messages.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dirtyfrog posted:

After installing Yosemite, I had Airmail v1 working no problem. I don't know why, but I still decided to drop the cash on v2. Load of poo poo. Maybe I'm not enough of a 'power user' but I can't notice any difference from v1. And after waking my macbook from sleep, Airmail has to frequently be closed and reopened to catch up with any new mails - if I don't do this it will sit there for hours without getting new messages.

Yeah, I'm finding airmail to be quite the heap of poo poo. Anyone have a good 3rd party app to recommend, because I'm not so fond of Mail.app either.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I'm using the Mailbox beta but it's not for everyone. They're all about the inbox zero thing and it's still pretty obviously beta software.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm using the Mailbox beta but it's not for everyone. They're all about the inbox zero thing and it's still pretty obviously beta software.

Yeah, I got the beta coin a while ago, maybe I'll give it another go. Huge fan of inbox zero, but I need tagging/categories like Outlook 2014. I use that for work, and don't like the idea of multiple accounts. When I did that and went into the office all the personal categories I had created followed me on my work account (not the emails or personal account settings thank jeebus).

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I found Unibox while searching around for an IMAP client, and it claims to be revolutionary, but drat, it costs $17.99. It does have a free 15 day trial, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

I found Unibox while searching around for an IMAP client, and it claims to be revolutionary, but drat, it costs $17.99. It does have a free 15 day trial, though.

That may be what I'm looking for, it's got two of the three features I really need. Threaded views and being able to turn off their group centric feature so I can implement Inbox Zero (albeit with some work). I'm still holding out hope for categories/tags. It makes creating smart folders and searching the archive so much easier.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
My bug report for the notification area in Yosemite flickering when switching screens, and causing garbage depending on whether the screen is HiDPI or not, aka bug number 19215770, has been closed and marked as a duplicate of bug 17643875. In case anyone here actually has access to bug reports other than their own. I'll keep an eye on the duplicate notice and report back if the originating bug ever appears to have been closed.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I still use Sparrow for mail. Haven't found a better option, and it still works perfectly.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I like airmail 2, it works fine for me :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Still using Airmail 1, and from the look of things in this thread, I guess I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kode54 posted:

My bug report for the notification area in Yosemite flickering when switching screens, and causing garbage depending on whether the screen is HiDPI or not, aka bug number 19215770, has been closed and marked as a duplicate of bug 17643875. In case anyone here actually has access to bug reports other than their own. I'll keep an eye on the duplicate notice and report back if the originating bug ever appears to have been closed.

On a bit of a tangent for this thread, is there any approximate timeline on getting a response from Apple on a bug report? I opened one on Safari over a month ago (it's developer-centric and very specific, so I assume it's not a duplicate) but haven't seen any movement yet. To be honest being Safari and memory-usage related I don't really expect a fix in any reasonable timeframe (or ever), but it'd be nice of them to acknowledge it is a problem.

OpenRadar for the interested/nerdy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

To be fair, the latest Outlook for Mac has actually graduated to being not entirely awful.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I'm a big fan of MailMate (http://freron.com/) but it's definitely not a pretty client (it doesn't let you make HTML mail, navigate with gestures, etc), instead focusing on keyboard navigation and great search through giant mailboxes.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

What's the best extension for Safari 8 to expand Youtube player sizes? The default one is ridiculously small. I've tried Youtube Center but both the stable and dev builds break some things (like embedded videos start playing by themself).

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Tippis posted:

To be fair, the latest Outlook for Mac has actually graduated to being not entirely awful.
What version is this?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dexter6 posted:

What version is this?

15.3, which is the first program out the door of the “Office 2015” update that is due for a spring release. Outlook just came out a bit earlier.

This article offers some good points on what works and what doesn't, and hopefully some of the non-working stuff might be updated as the full 2015 package gets released.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I have grown to like Airmail 2, although I used the betas so I expect crashes.

It still does not search well, but I've had that problem in Mail.app too. Get a specific mail message two days ago? Search for that person's name? Even specify that it is from them? Sorry - it does not exist. Manually, look through the list, and you will find it. Very annoying.

Another option that I have seen is Inky, although I have yet to try it:
http://inky.com

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm close to giving up and going to pine

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I still use Mutt for my personal email. No shame!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Froist posted:

On a bit of a tangent for this thread, is there any approximate timeline on getting a response from Apple on a bug report? I opened one on Safari over a month ago (it's developer-centric and very specific, so I assume it's not a duplicate) but haven't seen any movement yet.

I filed a Radar around OS X Server two years ago and only recently received a closure notice on it. The issue was fixed silently, but I never got any feedback about it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

devilmouse posted:

I still use Mutt for my personal email. No shame!

I think I still have a .muttrc set up all nice somewhere in my old backups. . .:regd13:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an Imac on 10.6.8 and no matter what I try I can't get the download for Yosemite to start in the Mac App Store. The get and download buttons remain grey, and I see no activity in network monitor. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the download started?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tippis posted:

15.3, which is the first program out the door of the “Office 2015” update that is due for a spring release. Outlook just came out a bit earlier.

This article offers some good points on what works and what doesn't, and hopefully some of the non-working stuff might be updated as the full 2015 package gets released.

Yeah, a few niggles with Outlook 2014 (or whatever the hell they call it)
  • I do hate the fact I have to log into OWA to propose new times for meetings.
  • I also hate that you can't have different "profiles" like you can on the Windows version. Instead, mashing all your accounts together is the only option and I'd like my personal and work accounts strictly separate.
  • Smart Folders won't sync either and there's no Query Agent you activate like you can in Outlook for windows.
  • And for god's sake Evernote, make a drat plugin for it. (that's not on MS, but still...)
However, it's still best of breed for using Exchange on the Mac. What I listed above are annoyances, but on the whole I'm *very* satisfied.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

frogbs posted:

I have an Imac on 10.6.8 and no matter what I try I can't get the download for Yosemite to start in the Mac App Store. The get and download buttons remain grey, and I see no activity in network monitor. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the download started?

Is Mavericks available? Maybe if you try stepping your way up to Yosemite. Also, specs of the iMac? Is it even compatible with Yosemite?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Is there a way to download all episodes of a podcast in itunes12? I can see the individual episodes with the little cloud icon to download one by one, but I can't figure out how to get all of them.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

frogbs posted:

Do you have access to another Mac running Mavericks or Yosemite you can download the installer on?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

fritz posted:

Is there a way to download all episodes of a podcast in itunes12? I can see the individual episodes with the little cloud icon to download one by one, but I can't figure out how to get all of them.

Subscribe to the Podcast, Go to your My Podcasts page, right-click the podcast you want, select Download All

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Mail.app keeps making GBS threads out, saying all the mail servers for my Gmails are offline. Any easy fix? I can't send mail with the app any more.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Subscribe to the Podcast, Go to your My Podcasts page, right-click the podcast you want, select Download All

I don't have a Download All in the right-click menu, all I have is:
code:
Mark as Unplayed
Refresh Podcast
Unsubscribe Podcast
Save Episode
Get Info
Rating >
Show Description
Clear Downloaded Artwork
Convert ID3 Tags...
Reset Plays
Create AAC Version
Consolidate Files...
New Playlist from Selection 
Add to Playlist >
Copy
Copy Podcast URL
Delete
Uncheck Selection
Apply Sort Field >

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

fritz posted:

I don't have a Download All in the right-click menu, all I have is:

Oh, sorry, I should've been more clear: click the title of the podcast in the sidebar, not an episode. It should look like this:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Oh, sorry, I should've been more clear: click the title of the podcast in the sidebar, not an episode. It should look like this:

Got it! Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

I said the same thing and for all its faults I still think Outlook is one of the best Exchange-capable apps on the Mac today. I love it. Even switched to Outlook on my home desktop where I don't read my work mail so don't use Exchange. It's only going to get better too, so I'm really hopeful.

That said I did hack 10.7+ Fullscreen into Outlook 2014. gently caress waiting for Microsoft to do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sports posted:

Mail.app keeps making GBS threads out, saying all the mail servers for my Gmails are offline. Any easy fix? I can't send mail with the app any more.

Mine did the exact same thing. I removed and re-added Gmail like five times, each time with its own app-specific password, but it always broke like a day later. Said "gently caress it" and switched to Outlook and it's been fine since. Not sure what the problem is but I honestly didn't have the patience to troubleshoot it.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Martytoof posted:

Mine did the exact same thing. I removed and re-added Gmail like five times, each time with its own app-specific password, but it always broke like a day later. Said "gently caress it" and switched to Outlook and it's been fine since. Not sure what the problem is but I honestly didn't have the patience to troubleshoot it.

I had the same issue. I just said 'gently caress it' and bought Airmail 2. Solved the problem, and I liked the original Airmail anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

devilmouse posted:

I'm a big fan of MailMate (http://freron.com/) but it's definitely not a pretty client (it doesn't let you make HTML mail, navigate with gestures, etc), instead focusing on keyboard navigation and great search through giant mailboxes.

Does this also choke like all other email apps when working with large gmail accounts?