Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope, Photo Stream is instead of iCloud photo sharing so one or the other.

As for your other problem, I've no idea.

Is there an event log or error file for photos? That I could look at to see whats going on?

edit

So I have been reading the system.log file all night. If i stop and start the cloudd resourse, i get this error over and over:

May 21 19:08:54 bryans-iMac.local cloudd[911]: mmcs_get_state_fail_file_state:1028 get file failed, returning container error
May 21 19:08:54 bryans-iMac.local cloudd[911]: Failed to download asset <CKAsset: 0x7fb06a93cc30; size=90810, recordKey=resJPEGThumbRes, signature=<0109145d b63e088e 295bc846 a35837ae e675bf24 f7>, owner=103993489, authToken=BQfwbkPYLDTXA21DKw, wrappedEncryptionKey=<7c8bbcbb aa71b2a8 303c9683 cf1872a2 3e5b0fe1 7e0ea8f4>, referenceSignature=<01237fa9 cc761c61 c8589f69 e1127d0f 4362cd66 52>> for record <CKRecordID: 0x7fb06a90f240; Abj89gJMAxzTz9v/2jQ7hmt78XM7:(PrimarySync:__defaultOwner__)> and operation D44E1C18-86D1-4C2C-9564-6F45A21322DA: <CKError 0x7fb0684019d0: "Unknown Error" (2022/16); Retry after 16.0 seconds>
May 21 19:08:54 bryans-iMac.local cloudd[911]: Progress of MMCS item 5011: s:5 p:-1.00 error:Error Domain=com.apple.mmcs Code=16 "Last 4 requests failed with a network error. Retry after 16 seconds" UserInfo=0x7fb06ab4f1b0 {NSDescription=Last 4 requests failed with a network error. Retry after 16 seconds, NSLocalizedDescription=Last 4 requests failed with a network error. Retry after 16 seconds, kMMCSErrorSupplementalDictionaryKey=<CFBasicHash 0x7fb06ab02200 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{type = immutable dict, count = 2,
entries =>
1 : <CFString 0x7fff7972fb40 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{contents = "Retry-After"} = 16
2 : <CFString 0x7fff7972fb60 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{contents = "kMMCSErrorRetryClientInitiatedKey"} = <CFBoolean 0x7fff788c48a8 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{value = true}

This mean anything? it look like it is failing to download the full res jpg from iCloud.

And this error:

May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cca46de0 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cc6c20e0 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cc6cb660 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cc933d30 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4c966fe30 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cc933d30 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}

No idea whats going on here.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Window Server CPU use means Safari is drawing animations. Which implies a bunch of your tabs are doing that. Which implies you'd see this issue with any browser, unless your browsing habits change. (SA forums are bad for this due to our addiction to anim gifs)

Safari in Yosemite is pretty good about turning off tabs that are not visible, either because it's not the front tab in the current window or the whole window is hidden behind other windows (or in a different workspace). You can probably cut your safari induced CPU use nearly to zero by setting your default new tab to "blank" and making a blank tab in all your safari windows and keeping them with that tab in front unless you actually need one of that window's tabs. Handy if you want to maximize battery life without actually closing any windows.

I actually helped this problem quite a bit by disabling transparency and hiding the dock. Seems to work a lot better now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

badjohny posted:

Is there an event log or error file for photos? That I could look at to see whats going on?

edit

So I have been reading the system.log file all night. If i stop and start the cloudd resourse, i get this error over and over:

May 21 19:08:54 bryans-iMac.local cloudd[911]: mmcs_get_state_fail_file_state:1028 get file failed, returning container error
May 21 19:08:54 bryans-iMac.local cloudd[911]: Failed to download asset <CKAsset: 0x7fb06a93cc30; size=90810, recordKey=resJPEGThumbRes, signature=<0109145d b63e088e 295bc846 a35837ae e675bf24 f7>, owner=103993489, authToken=BQfwbkPYLDTXA21DKw, wrappedEncryptionKey=<7c8bbcbb aa71b2a8 303c9683 cf1872a2 3e5b0fe1 7e0ea8f4>, referenceSignature=<01237fa9 cc761c61 c8589f69 e1127d0f 4362cd66 52>> for record <CKRecordID: 0x7fb06a90f240; Abj89gJMAxzTz9v/2jQ7hmt78XM7:(PrimarySync:__defaultOwner__)> and operation D44E1C18-86D1-4C2C-9564-6F45A21322DA: <CKError 0x7fb0684019d0: "Unknown Error" (2022/16); Retry after 16.0 seconds>
May 21 19:08:54 bryans-iMac.local cloudd[911]: Progress of MMCS item 5011: s:5 p:-1.00 error:Error Domain=com.apple.mmcs Code=16 "Last 4 requests failed with a network error. Retry after 16 seconds" UserInfo=0x7fb06ab4f1b0 {NSDescription=Last 4 requests failed with a network error. Retry after 16 seconds, NSLocalizedDescription=Last 4 requests failed with a network error. Retry after 16 seconds, kMMCSErrorSupplementalDictionaryKey=<CFBasicHash 0x7fb06ab02200 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{type = immutable dict, count = 2,
entries =>
1 : <CFString 0x7fff7972fb40 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{contents = "Retry-After"} = 16
2 : <CFString 0x7fff7972fb60 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{contents = "kMMCSErrorRetryClientInitiatedKey"} = <CFBoolean 0x7fff788c48a8 [0x7fff788c3ed0]>{value = true}

This mean anything? it look like it is failing to download the full res jpg from iCloud.

And this error:

May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cca46de0 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cc6c20e0 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4cc6cb660 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}
May 21 19:08:10 bryans-iMac.local cloudphotosd[274]: Got a connection error from the daemon: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (connection to service named com.apple.cloudd) UserInfo=0x7fe4c966fe30 {NSDebugDescription=connection to service named com.apple.cloudd}

No idea whats going on here.

This popped out error:Error Domain=com.apple.mmcs Code=16 "Last 4 requests failed with a network error. Retry after 16 seconds"

Searching on that lead to this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6988221

But I'm not seeing anyone has figured out what the hell is going on yet. The only other thing I can think of is some sort of network filtering, but I'd think you'd be having iCloud sync issues in general if that were that case.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've been having horrible video performance issues when I'm simply using chrome/remote desktop, webex, video capture, etc. Systems starts to run sluggish but memory/cpu are fine which to me suggests an issue with the graphics card. I can't even use plex now as the audio is horribly out of sync, If I switch into bootcamp windows runs smoothly and there's zero issues with anything.

Anyone have a clue on what the issue is or how to diagnose it? I have a 2013 MBPr.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How often do you guys reinstall OS X?
I got the 27 in iMac late 2011. It went through all of the upgrades. Gradually it's been working crappier and crappier, beachballs. Taking forever to start up. Finder doing weird things - not showing disks when I plug them in, showing twice in the list or processes. GPU overheating and slowing down but none of the fans kicking in. Tons of stuck processes in activity monitor. The OS X menu bar would also just sometimes stop working - would just show a beachball. Spotlight slow\always hanging.

SMART shows the HD is OK. Permissions checked out fine etc.

Was part of the Apple beta program, and had Yosemite installed before it came out.
I think I horked the OS due to too much fuckery.

Reinstalled, now it's totally fine again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

How often do you guys reinstall OS X?
I don't think there's any sort of timeframe, but if I do anything that might leave some kludge behind (developer preview OS, etc.) I'll do a clean install when I'm done testing. I've got other machines that aren't used for any development/testing and have been on the same base installation (and upgraded over the years) since like Lion, I think.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I never plan a reinstall but I think it just works out to one a year, if that (upgrade storage, or maybe I just dick around too much and mess it up, etc.) For you it's probably just the case that your luck with updates ran out and you finally got a bad one, if the reinstall cleared up your issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think there's any sort of timeframe, but if I do anything that might leave some kludge behind (developer preview OS, etc.) I'll do a clean install when I'm done testing. I've got other machines that aren't used for any development/testing and have been on the same base installation (and upgraded over the years) since like Lion, I think.

I think every system I've had has been either an upgrade installation over the old OS X or a restore from Time Machine. I don't think I've even taken a Mac and wiped it to re-install since at least lion, maybe even a couple before that.

Wait, I lie. I did wipe an older rMBP I started using for doing home lab stuff, but that was more to have a clean slate to make sure any personal information on there was absolutely gone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure my OS X install has stood through upgrades for 5 years. I don't run beta versions of the OS.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I tend to do a clean install once every year or so, but it's more of a psychological thing really. It forces me to junk files I don't really need to keep lying around, empty downloads folder, delete old movies I've seen, and generally having a fresh laptop is quite a nice feeling and seems to give me a big boost in productivity.

With iCloud for bookmarks etc and all my important documents living in both Google Drive and Dropbox via symlinks, it's only really a matter of transferring the apps I really need for work and music off my backup, whole process takes maybe a few hours tops.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fleshweasel posted:

I am pretty sure my OS X install has stood through upgrades for 5 years. I don't run beta versions of the OS.

Yeah same, 2011 iMac that was a daily production workhorse never got wiped because I didn't want to waste time doing a full reinstall every time a new version of OSX was released. I never played with beta builds and really never had problems that weren't caused by third party apps.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I noticed a bunch of sluggishness on my 27 mid 2011 iMac and I have only ever done in-place upgrades.

I just went to a Samsung 850 evo and all those issues are gone after restoring my Time machine image, whether the sheer speed of the thing is masking them or it actually fixed them, I dont know.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I seem to have isolated the cause of the beachballing, or at least found a workaround. I simply had to disable spell checking everywhere. Well, at least on my IRC client's browser window, when I was using it in FluidApp. Spell checking is still enabled on the main Safari app, which doesn't seem to be hitching any at all.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I never do a clean install. I haven't ever since Time Machine "became a thing". My Library folders are probably muddy as hell. But the OS still works exactly as I expect it to, so... I don't see a need to do a clean install like you sometimes had to do with Windows. My Win8 install on my desktop's been chugging away problem-free since that OS came out, too, so I'm not seeing much of a problem these days.

Who wants to set everything up again? Eugh. I have so much software!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just buy a new Mac so often that the question never comes up.

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine
I've literally been using the same install since I've got my first Mac, way back in 2005. When I get a new one, I just use Migration Assistant and its business as usual.
If you're not using beta OSes, meddling with the internals or actually having issues, I don't see a reason to reinstall.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I have uTorrent for Mac set to launch hidden on startup, but I notice that the first time I open the program window after a reboot, my torrents go from "queued seed" to "seeding." Does anyone know how to actually make it start seeding as soon as the program launches? Kinda defeats the purpose of having it launch hidden if I have to open the window anyway before it will function.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just use Transmission instead

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Pivo posted:

Just use Transmission instead

Transmission refuses to start hidden.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Just install rtorrent on a server and never worry about what torrent software is running on your mac again.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Oh of course I should just get a second computer. Perfect thanks

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Install linux, problem solved.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

withak posted:

Install linux, problem solved.

i installed linux on my windows laptop a few months ago and then proceeded to spend a weekend trying to figure out why simple things that should be easy were loving impossible on linux

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

robodex posted:

i installed linux on my windows laptop a few months ago and then proceeded to spend a weekend trying to figure out why simple things that should be easy were loving impossible on linux

Ya don't say

:thejoke:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use Linux at work, but I hate how like - if I do a kernel update, I have to cross my fingers when I reboot because it can all go to hell and I lose a day trying to fix it all. It's decently stable but I'm annoyed at just how much poo poo there is to break. And I'm not devops, I'm just a dev, I hate administrating Linux. Today my boss emailed everyone saying that if they're unhappy with their workstations, feel free to make a request. I said, well, there's no real business reason for me to have an iMac, but I really would prefer to use OS X.

No reply yet. Fingers crossed yet again.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Okay, maybe this is one that this topic can help with. I just got a new rMBP, and it came with 10.10.2. I couldn't get it to connect screen sharing to my existing riMac, which is already running 10.10.3. The iMac has Remote Management enabled, rather than Screen Sharing, which I had no problem connecting to on my dad's iMac.

I thought it was the Remote Desktop version, so I ran updates to 10.10.3, and updated the Remote Desktop client, but it still won't log in, even though I got my user name and password correct. Or so I hope.

I also tried Remotix, as well as OS X Server in Other Mac mode, since my iMac has OS X Server installed on it.

Would it matter how I type in my user name? My short user name and directory name is "Chris" while my full account name, as shown on the login screen and in the entry box for sudo, is my full first and last name with a space in the middle.

SSH works, though. That accepts the "Chris" user name, and I know my password works for that.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Apparently some update has caused Macintosh Explorer to become kind of glitchy for me. I was thinking Alfred was the popular alternative but after trying it out it seems to be something completely different.

I feel like there's some very standard app that everyone uses here as a Finder replacement that I am missing, what is this app, goons?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Path Finder is the big one, but isn't free. TotalFinder adds a few tweaks to the Finder, but isn't free either (it's cheaper than Path Finder, though.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

Path Finder is the big one, but isn't free. TotalFinder adds a few tweaks to the Finder, but isn't free either (it's cheaper than Path Finder, though.)

Spreading the love for TotalFinder. The tabbed windows and the "Folders First" setting are more than worth it to me.

The other product they make that I bought was TotalSpaces, which adds functionality in that you lay out your additional desktops in a grid as opposed to one row.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

flosofl posted:

Spreading the love for TotalFinder. The tabbed windows and the "Folders First" setting are more than worth it to me.

The other product they make that I bought was TotalSpaces, which adds functionality in that you lay out your additional desktops in a grid as opposed to one row.

TotalTerminal is great, too (and free.)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

carry on then posted:

TotalTerminal is great, too (and free.)

What does it do that iTerm doesn't??

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

What does it do that iTerm doesn't??

It's a totally different thing. I love iTerm, but that thing does a drop-down terminal with a hotkey like in video games when you press the tilde and get access to the terminal. It's just different.

But yeah, iTerm > *

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Pivo posted:

It's a totally different thing. I love iTerm, but that thing does a drop-down terminal with a hotkey like in video games when you press the tilde and get access to the terminal. It's just different.

But yeah, iTerm > *

Oh, you mean like this combination of two settings in iTerm 2?
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/48796/iterm-as-a-slide-out-terminal-from-the-top-of-the-screen

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love SizeUp and paid for it but is there a window manager that allows for more diverse screen sectioning?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I love SizeUp and paid for it but is there a window manager that allows for more diverse screen sectioning?
Moom? I’m not sure it can move windows between spaces yet (but looks like it saves multi space layouts?) but it can do everything else SizeUp can do (at least what I saw from their video).

For sectioning you can divide your screen up into x and y number of units along with the usual half and quads. Like I use 8x5 (for squares on my 16:10 screen, but any ratio is fine), you can have just a few or a crapload if you want to get really granular.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flosofl posted:

Finder as of Yosemite has tabbed windows too.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I have an external 2 TB drive that I'd like to partition in half for Time Machine. However, Disk Utility tells me that I can't modify the partition map since the drive is using the MBR partition scheme. Is there some non-destructive way to partition it, or do I have to erase it and then create new partitions?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

computer parts posted:

Finder as of Yosemite has tabbed windows too.

Yeah, but ⌘U wil merge two of the tabs like the old Norton Commander of DOS days.

It also adds the ability to "Cut" files, not just "Copy" via keyboard or context menu.

All in all, definitely worth the $18.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

japtor posted:

Moom? I’m not sure it can move windows between spaces yet (but looks like it saves multi space layouts?) but it can do everything else SizeUp can do (at least what I saw from their video).

For sectioning you can divide your screen up into x and y number of units along with the usual half and quads. Like I use 8x5 (for squares on my 16:10 screen, but any ratio is fine), you can have just a few or a crapload if you want to get really granular.

That looks pretty good - I'm not worried about spaces since I don't use them, just dual monitors. The units thing is what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

surrender posted:

I have an external 2 TB drive that I'd like to partition in half for Time Machine. However, Disk Utility tells me that I can't modify the partition map since the drive is using the MBR partition scheme. Is there some non-destructive way to partition it, or do I have to erase it and then create new partitions?
Could try one of those Linux Live/rescue CD type things with drive utilities, although for all I know TM won't work on a MBR partitioned drive.

BlackMK4 posted:

That looks pretty good - I'm not worried about spaces since I don't use them, just dual monitors. The units thing is what I was looking for.
Yeah that should be fine then, it's got a good trial so no need to buy before you know for sure.