Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Apple Music would need an iTunes update, no?

Yes I suppose that does make sense... I gather that's coming also, then?

[Edit]. While I'm here, has anyone else experienced like, LOOOOOOONG black screen hangs after updating their mac's OS?

I used to get this on my 2011 and I still get it on my retina iMac.

I installed 10.10.4 and it does the apple logo progress bar. I'm now staring at a black screen (with moveable mouse icon) for the last 15 minutes.

Should I power it down?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good riddance, discoveryd.

They did that for .4 rather than wait for 11? There is still joy and beauty in the world!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Feenix posted:

I installed 10.10.4 and it does the apple logo progress bar. I'm now staring at a black screen (with moveable mouse icon) for the last 15 minutes.

Should I power it down?
Mine froze on a grey screen. Rebooted. It continued doing an upgrade for 10 minutes after. On 10.10.4 but iTunes doesn't seem to have anyway to sign up for apple music.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I rebooted and everything is fine. I'd sure like to listen to Apple Music on my Mac instead of my phone though... since I'm sitting right here with some good speakers.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

I rebooted and everything is fine. I'd sure like to listen to Apple Music on my Mac instead of my phone though... since I'm sitting right here with some good speakers.

Plug the speakers into your phone and listen to a New Zealand man shout in your ears.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Plug the speakers into your phone and listen to a New Zealand man shout in your ears.

Hey you know one thing I didn't really think about re: Beats 1 was the fact that they may interrupt/talk over the songs all the time like UK DJS seem to do. With Station Identifiers and overzealous Djs.

[edit] Also I love (hate?) that they've perfectly replicated the obnoxious aspects of terrestrial radio. *LASER SOUND, WOOP WOOP* "Beats....(slowed down pitch) "ONE!"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Supposedly trimforce is in OS X 10.10.4.

code:
sudo trimforce enable
Is all you should have to do now for TRIM on third party SSDs. I don't have a properly configured system to confirm.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

Hey you know one thing I didn't really think about re: Beats 1 was the fact that they may interrupt/talk over the songs all the time like UK DJS seem to do. With Station Identifiers and overzealous Djs.

[edit] Also I love (hate?) that they've perfectly replicated the obnoxious aspects of terrestrial radio. *LASER SOUND, WOOP WOOP* "Beats....(slowed down pitch) "ONE!"

Amazingly Apple has managed to create a radio station.

Also if anyone wants to listen to BEATS ONE on your desktop you can visit this link https://itunes.apple.com/beats1 but that wants to open iTunes 12.2 which doesn't exist yet. Hmm.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I think they may have just forgot about releasing iTunes 12.2. :shobon:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TinTower posted:

Yea, seems really weird.. I wonder how many people are downloading 12.1.2 thinking it will update to Music

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's also a bug regarding iCloud Music Library not working on iOS, but I assume that needs 12.2 too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TinTower posted:

Past OS X updates that coincide with an iTunes release usually see iTunes being available as a software update later in the afternoon. This isn't unusual at all.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
When they announced Apple Music, I was really hoping for a fast and simple Photos-style OS X app called Music, and was sad that they're just shoving more functionality into iTunes. Maybe next year.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 30, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

When they announced Apple Music, I was really hoping for an fast and simple Photos-style OS X app called Music, and was sad that they're just shoving more functionality into iTunes. Maybe next year.

It comes with this cool new feature

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So if anyone wants a direct download of 10.10.4, here ya go:

10.10.4 Combo - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?locale=en_US

10.10.4 Delta - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1819?locale=en_US

Note: the Combo is 2.02 GB and the Delta is 1.09 GB.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Supposedly trimforce is in OS X 10.10.4.

code:
sudo trimforce enable
Is all you should have to do now for TRIM on third party SSDs. I don't have a properly configured system to confirm.

I can play with it tonight on one of my systems. My 2010 MBP has an OWC w/ SandForce controller. I work with some people that have an 840 EVO and an 850 EVO. I'm very interested in how well it works for them. My 2007 Mac Pro has an Intel 530 (SandForce). I won't get around to updating Yosemite on it until later.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
TRIM sounds like a good thing. Is there any potential downside to turning it on?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

TRIM sounds like a good thing. Is there any potential downside to turning it on?
No.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Oh, for an OS X update that doesn't gently caress up Mail in one way or another...

If anyone else discovers Mail suddenly unable to connect to Gmail accounts, go into the account settings and make sure "Automatically detect and maintain account settings" is checked. (I had to UNCHECK this a few months ago in order to get Mail working right with Gmail :bang:.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Alright, I'll do this soon!

As for the update, I have transparency turned off (I did this before updating) and I'm noticing a crazy improvement in animation smoothness when on an external monitor, so that's good!

Also, my bluetooth problem from before seemed to be related to my wife's phone and iPad doing handoff with each other. If she turns off her phone's BT when it starts the problem goes away. Hasn't come back for a little while either and she has BT on again.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Good riddance, discoveryd.

I am only sorry discoveryd doesn't have a grave, because I wanted to piss on it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

tuyop posted:

In most cases, no, TRIM has no downsides. Enabling it helps improve an SSD's built-in maintenance and garbage collection. TRIM can help reduce excess writes, help keep write performance fast & consistent, and help prolong drive life.

However, some drives have had issues with TRIM.

* Some older drives didn't work right with it, sometimes leading to data loss. It was usually because of buggy firmware. (This is probably not something to worry about any more.)

* Some Samsung and Crucial drives were found to have issues with TRIM on Linux (see https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/ and http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/M500-M5x0-QUEUED-TRIM-data-corruption-alert-mostly-for-Linux/td-p/151028).

* In certain configurations (usually when an adapter is used) a drive that identifies as supporting TRIM ends up causing a hang when the system cannot actually send the TRIM command to the drive. I have a ThinkPad T43 with two PATA to SATA adapters. Windows is unusable until I disable TRIM.

I'm going to enable TRIM on my SandForce drives (as they seemed to work fine when I used TRIM Enabler), but I will wait a few days before I recommend our Samsung users enable it (both of whom have been going without TRIM in order to avoid any issues with kext signing).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I see the OS X update (and GarageBand) on the update page but apparently one didn't download right so now my computer is on a loop of "restart computer to install update" -> "there are new updates" - "Restart computer to install updates" x infinity.

Rebooting didn't seem to have done anything.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Feenix posted:

Wait talking over a song before it's finished is a UK thing? Can't say that bothers me much though compared to the idents at least. Nice that there are no ads for uh, discount furniture shops, personal injury lawyers and pawn shops like actual non-bbc radio stations though

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I see the OS X update (and GarageBand) on the update page but apparently one didn't download right so now my computer is on a loop of "restart computer to install update" -> "there are new updates" - "Restart computer to install updates" x infinity.

Rebooting didn't seem to have done anything.

I'm in the same boat; going to download & install the combo update linked upthread.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have an 850 EVO but I think I'll let one of you guys be the guinea pigs on enabling TRIM just so I don't destroy my computer since I'm away from home.

Edit: iTunes 12.2 just popped up in the App Store for me.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
12.2 is out. :woop:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
If you try to open iTunes while it's updating you get this which I found mildly amusing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

App Store was doing this to me over and over:

And I'd still end up with iTunes 12.1.2 installed. softwareupdate -i -a took care of it without any issue, though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So when I first loaded the new iTunes there was a "for you" tab between playlists and radio with a dialogue to sign up for Apple Music but now I just checked again because I wanna do the trial and it's not there wth> :tinfoil:

EDIT: Going to the Apple website and clicking on the "start listening now" thing on the main page magically made it reappear.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 1, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

While reading the Ars article on trimforce, comments pointed out that there is apparently reports of certain SSDs (including Samsung 840/850 Series) running into data corruption caused by TRIM, and Linux kernel maintains a blacklist for some drives that do not properly support queued TRIM.

I'm not certain on what OS X's implementation of TRIM is and how closely it's related to fstrim and the its documented issues, but at the very least it bears investigation and anecdotal evidence suggests it does affect OS X. So while just yesterday I would've agreed with you and said "there's no reason to not enable TRIM", today I'd be a lot more careful and say maybe hold off a bit if you use one of the drives on the blacklist:

code:
/* devices that don't properly handle queued TRIM commands */
	{ "Micron_M500*",		NULL,	ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
						ATA_HORKAGE_ZERO_AFTER_TRIM, },
	{ "Crucial_CT*M500*",		NULL,	ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	{ "Micron_M5[15]0*",		"MU01",	ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	{ "Crucial_CT*M550*",		"MU01",	ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	{ "Crucial_CT*MX100*",		"MU01",	ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
	{ "Samsung SSD 8*",		NULL,	ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Last I checked, OS X does not support that ATA command anyway.

edit: Apparently further investigation has said it's not related to queued TRIM? I dunno. I'd still run with TRIM, but I don't have any 3rd party SSDs in my Macs.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

edit: Apparently further investigation has said it's not related to queued TRIM? I dunno. I'd still run with TRIM, but I don't have any 3rd party SSDs in my Macs.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find a lot of information on exactly what OS X's implementation of TRIM is. FWIW, I've been using a Samsung 830 256GB on my Hackintosh with TRIM enabled for over 2 years, and I haven't notice any issues, but I don't do anything disk I/O intensive and haven't really checked for it (and have done multiple full reformats).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

GokieKS posted:

While reading the Ars article on trimforce, comments pointed out that there is apparently reports of certain SSDs (including Samsung 840/850 Series) running into data corruption caused by TRIM, and Linux kernel maintains a blacklist for some drives that do not properly support queued TRIM.

I'm not certain on what OS X's implementation of TRIM is and how closely it's related to fstrim and the its documented issues, but at the very least it bears investigation and anecdotal evidence suggests it does affect OS X.

After reading through that last link and a few others, here's an interesting thing about the blacklisting. Samsung originally didn't support queued TRIM (aka NCQ TRIM) in any of their drives, but has begun adding it to the firmware of new models and to older drive models after applying a recent firmware update. However, the new feature is broken as hell.

The Linux blacklisting disables only queued TRIM, which causes Linux to fall back to non-queued TRIM on these drives rather than disabling it altogether.

Also, IDK what the anecdotal evidence is, but if this issue does affect OS X, based on Linux user experiences the effects should be swift and unsubtle.

The data center guys with the blog post are claiming they've ruled out queued TRIM as the cause of their issue, but I think this just means we're looking at two different problems. The queued TRIM thing is definitely for real. I've now skimmed through multiple linux bug report threads; people affected by the bug have horrible data integrity problems that go away completely upon upgrading to a kernel with the proper blacklist entry.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Interestingly, updating to 10.10.4 seemed to botch a few apps (Photos was a question mark, iBooks wouldn't open) but the App Store automatically put the Combined update into the queue. Updating to that fixed everything. I wonder if it now scans for problems and tries that automatically?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Can anyone recommend a good podcast streamer/donwloader? All I really need is something that can search and stream shows, but if possible I'd like something which flags shows with nsfw content, gives recommendations etc.

I used to use iTunes but recently it's only been making a max of 20 episodes available per show.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Dear God; the new iTunes icon is a horror show.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Dear God; the new iTunes icon is a horror show.

https://dribbble.com/shots/2129316-Muir-MUSIC

Yeah I dunno why they changed it after showing a different one at WWDC

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

carry on then posted:

Interestingly, updating to 10.10.4 seemed to botch a few apps (Photos was a question mark, iBooks wouldn't open) but the App Store automatically put the Combined update into the queue. Updating to that fixed everything. I wonder if it now scans for problems and tries that automatically?

I've always told folks the combo update is good for what ails you sometimes. I've used the combo update several times to fix 'niggling' system related errors on people's machines to good effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Macbook Pro won't update to 10.10.4, it's stuck in an endless loop of asking me to restart to download the update and then giving a pop up saying that available updates have changed.