Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I've used Duet in the past, it's expensive but it works perfectly. Ultimately, I couldn't really find enough use for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to underclock my MacBook Pro? I just want a way for it to not get so drat hot, it heats up my room in the summer, no joke.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Maybe this belongs more in the iPad thread but has anyone had experience with the apps that let you use an iPad as a second display that can give me a rundown or any plusses/minuses of the ones they have used?

I wouldn't mind having something to have like twitch or irc on while I game and stuff like that.

Air Display 3 is the best. Works over wifi or USB (you want USB), toggles HiDPI and if you have an Adonit Jot Touch or other badass pressure stylus, congrats you have a cintiq now. That alone made me sell my retina Mini and get an Air.

And that's not all- if you put your iPhone in a cardboard or Sunnypeak plastic headset, you can watch 3D YouTube videos or theoretically have a fake oculus powered by the Mac. Though I have no idea what's accelerating the video. Likely not the GPU. I tried alien isolation in a VMware window configured for oculus over Air Display 3 to my iPhone six and it wanted to work. Too much going on though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PRADA SLUT posted:

1. Is there a way to underclock my MacBook Pro?
2. I just want a way for it to not get so drat hot, it heats up my room in the summer, no joke.

1. Take the battery out.

2. That's a different question. Install a fan control app.

3. If it's getting hot it's because the CPU and/or GPU are under high load. Underclocking will just make whatever it is worse. Attack the problem not the symptom.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

~Coxy posted:

1. Take the battery out.

2. That's a different question. Install a fan control app.

3. If it's getting hot it's because the CPU and/or GPU are under high load. Underclocking will just make whatever it is worse. Attack the problem not the symptom.

No, it's just general web browsing and things, nothing intensive.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are you using Chrome?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

eddiewalker posted:

Are you using Chrome?

Newer versions of Chrome have been single handedly phasing out the 2012 MacBooks at work. Even with an 8gb ram upgrade a sales guy can turn a 2012 Macbook into a smoking crater inside a day.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

8ender posted:

Newer versions of Chrome have been single handedly phasing out the 2012 MacBooks at work. Even with an 8gb ram upgrade a sales guy can turn a 2012 Macbook into a smoking crater inside a day.

That is so weird. I wonder why that is happening. It's not for me. My MBP only gets hot if I have it plugged in and that is supposedly normal for a charging battery.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ahhh I thought this was just me!

But only in Safari, right? Firefox seems to work just fine, so presumably there's something about the player and Safari that doesn't work right together. Probably a fluke that it seems to work so well in Firefox, too.

Switching gears for a bit, anyone else have an issue where three-finger swipes just stop working? I have that set to go back/forward a page. However, randomly that will just stop working system-wide (or at least in every web browser and in finder). It doesn't seem to be BTT-related, since restarting/quitting that has no effect. Besides restarting or logging out, the only way I've found to fix it is to do the following:
  1. Open trackpad preferences, change to two-finger horizontal swipe
  2. Swipe back a page (praying that the stupid animation doesn't break halfway, since that's non-recoverable, unlike when swiping between spaces gets stuck)
  3. Change back to three-finger swipe.

So is there a way I can automate this with applescript or something? It'd be nice to have a script to say, change to two-finger swipe, then pop-up a dialog box to wait until you've gone back a page, and then switch back to three-finger. A quick look shows I could also do that easily enough with automator if I had a shell script, but I don't know if the trackpad preferences can be changed with a defaults write.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

There are a few big websites (Facebook being a main offender) that will single-handedly turn my laptop into a small oven when I have them open. Or, take a look in Activity Monitor and see what's hitting the CPU hardest.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I noticed that I have slow down on my macbook pro quite often.
It's from 2011, 2Ghz Intel Core i7, 4 Gb RAM

I was wondering if I could do anything to speed it up? Maybe re-installing mac os?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Le0 posted:

I was wondering if I could do anything to speed it up? Maybe re-installing mac os?

Get an SSD.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Le0 posted:

Check activity monitor to see if you're running out of ram.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I've noticed my 2012 Mac Mini gets super hot regardless of whether I'm using Chrome or not, I just assumed it's because of the form factor and the fact that OS X refuses to spin the fans up even if I'm pushing temperatures literally high enough to boil water. Generally with just browsing I'm at ~60C, when playing games I've seen it push 100C (at which point I got insane graphical glitches.)

I just installed SMCFanControl and have it set to go full tilt whenever I'm doing something intensive v:shobon:v

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Have you opened it up and cleaned it out to make sure there's no dust and hair clogging the fans and ducts?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Le0 posted:

Get more RAM, and get an SSD.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Le0 posted:

Clear PRAM and SMC first. If that doesn't work, wipe and reinstall OS X. I had a 2011 15" that ran like dog turds even after those steps. I'd been installing new versions of os x over the old one since snow leopard and that probably played a role in it, although it didnt really start to slow down until the last year or so. Reinstalling os x made it like new again

FWIW it had an SSD (with trim enabler) pretty early on and once I noticed the slow down I added extra ram (to a total of 8GB), but that didn't fix anything. Reinstalling did.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Le0 posted:

I have an 2.2Ghz early 2011 macbook pro, I put in an SSD (with a large HDD in a DIY fusion setup) and 8 Gb of ram and now it's fast enough that I don't think about it. I frequently have dozens of chrome tabs open on one desktop and an IDE chugging away at something else on another, it keeps up with everything.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

flosofl posted:

Have you opened it up and cleaned it out to make sure there's no dust and hair clogging the fans and ducts?

I'm not sure how, couldn't I just hit it with some air?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
So now that Google photos will host pictures for free, and I using DropBox to actually back up the poo poo I actually need to keep track of, I have a huge disk with years of TimeMachine backups that I really only care about getting pictures out of.

Is there such a tool as a data miner for TimeMachine backups?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arrowsmith posted:

I had this problem last week and after trying every possible solution I could find on google I had to flatten and reinstall os x. I could pull important documents and such from time machine but restoring a whole backup broke things again.

Sorry, I hope you find a better way.

Looks like I'm just waiting until they hopefully come out with an update to fix it. Thankfully not of my messaging is through google voice, so it isn't the biggest impact in the world for me.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
You realize Google's unlimited photo hosting involves them recompressing your photos (and downscaling to 16 MP if they're any larger)? I certainly wouldn't want that as my only backup. Plus, nothing should have only one backup - having both online and local backups is important.

But anyway, unless your photos are (were) horribly disorganized, you can just browse through your TM backup in Finder and grab them by hand very easily.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can turn off turbo boost: http://www.rugarciap.com/turbo-boost-switcher-for-os-x/

This app is pretty cool. Unfortunately it needs your admin password every time you run it. I wish I could just permanently disable turbo boost.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Choadmaster posted:

You realize Google's unlimited photo hosting involves them recompressing your photos (and downscaling to 16 MP if they're any larger)? I certainly wouldn't want that as my only backup. Plus, nothing should have only one backup - having both online and local backups is important.

But anyway, unless your photos are (were) horribly disorganized, you can just browse through your TM backup in Finder and grab them by hand very easily.

I am trying to think of how to phrase this not rudely, but frankly, I am a bit of a loss as to how to do so. You are offering advice (thanks!), but it is pretty much tied to a mindset should have disappeared long ago, that has really disappeared in the present, and will be completely gone in a year. People will laugh helplessly about the idea of keeping physical hardware to store digital information, if they can even understand the mindset of what made someone want to keep a physical copy of digital data.

It is essentially like saying I should print out my emails (on microfiche*) to keep them secure.

But more importantly..

Searching is not my job. Google became a multi-billion dollar company because everyone agrees. What I need is something that will find all the unique copies of pictures that might exist in 500 gigabytes of TimeMachine backups over at least four machines, and six (seven? eight?) years, so I can get rid of the last bit of hardware I am holding onto. I cannot imagine how many hours (more likely weeks of full time work) it would take me to load each TimeMachine system snapshot, and do a full search for image files.

I want them in Google's cloud, because I do not want to wonder about them anymore. And they would have been in the cloud to begin with if I had though I could have trusted a cloud provider six years ago. But until Google came out with unlimited Google Photos, having to futz with them on physical hardware was the only way to be sure you had them. TimeMachine is a similar futz, and frankly is a similar badly implemented weird hardware solution to a digital information problem. I stopped using TimeMachine (or even a home folder on my computer) once DropBox proved itself, and when google made the big drop to $1.99 for a month for 100 TB, I similarly rolled everything out to the cloud.

Now I am trying to see if there is a way to get some value out of having made so many TimeMachine backups. I certainly don't need most of the crap in the drive. Just the pictures that might have ended up on the desktop, or somewhere else.

I am trying to think of just how image hosts have completely disappeared since 2001, taking everyone's photos with them, and I can get to 10 of the top of my head. Similarly, the physical hardware I was using for saving photos in 2001 (Zip drives(!), or worse Floppies(!!!)) is impossible to to imagine being able to use today. I do not even have a CD reader. Those photos are long gone, because really a physical storage system for digital information is silly.

SO anyway, anyone got any ideas for a tool to point at a TimeMachine volume and say "Fetch!", or is the volume just just trash now, like Zip disks?

*I be there are not ten people in an average room of 100 who know what microfiche is, let alone have handled it in person.
( fun link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_missing_tapes )

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 5, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can't you just open up the most recent backup and copy over your photo library.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't be such a oval office to someone merely offering advice.

Personal ownership of backups on physical media will be gone in a year? You are really raving about this notion, and it's an untrue one.

If the photos you were trying to keep aren't on the Mac and haven't been on the Mac in a long time that's a bad sign. Time machine is for restoring your system and recovering recently lost files. It doesn't keep things you delete forever.

brap fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 5, 2015

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can't you just open up the most recent backup and copy over your photo library.

I did grab the iPhoto library and got the originals from inside the iPhoto "library", but I also had iPhoto "library" in each machine, and the naming variations prove that this is job for a machine.

It is annoying how many digital photos end up with the exact same name, which results in massive renaming depending on import order and nothing else, which also makes keeping them locally a inefficent, counterproductive pain (ignoring the whole broken metaphor of keeping physical copies of digital data.) Trying to sort out which DSC_1007_3.jpg is which over potential twenty different copies for a single photo is what got me hoping for an automated tool. I am just assuming Google will do the crc on the twenty files when I upload themand and eliminate the dupes for me.

But unlimited means they are going to take care of that, because they realize that machines do search and comparison in a way that humans are stupid to even attempt, anf they realize that they would be stupid to keep twenty versions of a file. Local computers are incredibly incompetent at this duplication. Human effort is not even on the scale when it comes to handling digital information.

But annoyingly enough I also found random pictures in old backups not in the iPhoto library that seem to exist in no snapshot that one date, because random poo poo happens.

Again spending time doing this, and finding differences, means that me doing anything will necessarily be incomplete (putting aside the whole enormous literally weeks of time required to do this) since a first attempt showed 'doing it by hand' does not work even slightly.

(I am kind of amazed that people still think that humans are actually suited to this sort of task in any sense at all. Another strange metaphor: what if we used smoke signals for TCP/IP protocol. I mean we could do it, and over far greater distances than WiFi, with no infrastructure, but the baud rate would be bits per month. We would be watching the new episode of Orange is the new Black in the year 500,000 AD.)

fleshweasel posted:

Time machine is for restoring your system and recovering recently lost files. It doesn't keep things you delete forever.

???

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 5, 2015

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

What was the version of iTunes included in the base OS 10.10 release?

This seems like something that would easily yield to Google, but no luck.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kapalama posted:

What was the version of iTunes included in the base OS 10.10 release?

This seems like something that would easily yield to Google, but no luck.

iTunes 12 came out the same day.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

kapalama posted:

I did grab the iPhoto library and got the originals from inside the iPhoto "library", but I also had iPhoto "library" in each machine, and the naming variations prove that this is job for a machine.

It is annoying how many digital photos end up with the exact same name, which results in massive renaming depending on import order and nothing else, which also makes keeping them locally a inefficent, counterproductive pain (ignoring the whole broken metaphor of keeping physical copies of digital data.) Trying to sort out which DSC_1007_3.jpg is which over potential twenty different copies for a single photo is what got me hoping for an automated tool. I am just assuming Google will do the crc on the twenty files when I upload themand and eliminate the dupes for me.

But unlimited means they are going to take care of that, because they realize that machines do search and comparison in a way that humans are stupid to even attempt, anf they realize that they would be stupid to keep twenty versions of a file. Local computers are incredibly incompetent at this duplication. Human effort is not even on the scale when it comes to handling digital information.

But annoyingly enough I also found random pictures in old backups not in the iPhoto library that seem to exist in no snapshot that one date, because random poo poo happens.

Again spending time doing this, and finding differences, means that me doing anything will necessarily be incomplete (putting aside the whole enormous literally weeks of time required to do this) since a first attempt showed 'doing it by hand' does not work even slightly.

(I am kind of amazed that people still think that humans are actually suited to this sort of task in any sense at all. Another strange metaphor: what if we used smoke signals for TCP/IP protocol. I mean we could do it, and over far greater distances than WiFi, with no infrastructure, but the baud rate would be bits per month. We would be watching the new episode of Orange is the new Black in the year 500,000 AD.)

???

What I'm getting from this is that you have a hosed up disorganized mess that you've been making over the years, and somehow it's absolutely not your fault whatsoever for periodically making sure your backups are straight.

I have had the same iPhoto library for like 7 years, and I've had multiple machines and multiple backups since then, and have never managed to gently caress it up. This was before there was even automated backups and iCloud.

Just copy everything into a single Photo library, then manage that one library how you like it. It'll probably take "literally weeks of time required to do this" but that's your own fault.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 5, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

kapalama posted:

I am trying to think of how to phrase this not rudely, but frankly, I am a bit of a loss as to how to do so. You are offering advice (thanks!), but it is pretty much tied to a mindset should have disappeared long ago, that has really disappeared in the present, and will be completely gone in a year. People will laugh helplessly about the idea of keeping physical hardware to store digital information, if they can even understand the mindset of what made someone want to keep a physical copy of digital data. ... I want them in Google's cloud, because I do not want to wonder about them anymore. ... I am trying to think of just how image hosts have completely disappeared since 2001, taking everyone's photos with them, and I can get to 10 of the top of my head.

:psyboom:

Keep your own copies of poo poo. Maintain your backups appropriately. And when you're going to be a smug douchenozzle on the internet, at least make a coherent argument.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

What I'm getting from this is that you have a hosed up disorganized mess that you've been making over the years, and somehow it's absolutely not your fault whatsoever for periodically making sure your backups are straight.

No I just want a computer program that searches through a TImeMachine backup for all the photos.

Is there one?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kapalama posted:

No I just want a computer program that searches through a TImeMachine backup for all the photos.

Is there one?

code:
find /path/to/timemachine/backup -name '*.jpg'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When I bought my iMac from someone, they set the 1TB hard drive into two partition. Is there a way I can combine the two partitions into one without losing everything?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Delete the non-OS volume, then extend the primary's into free space just with Disk Utility. Should work! I used to do this occasionally when I flip-flopped between wanting native bootcamp or VM.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah if one is a garbage partition that should work, but if there's stuff on both that you want to keep I'm not sure if it's possible.

Anyway for more detail, do "diskutil list" in terminal and post the output for the relevant disk.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kuskus posted:

Delete the non-OS volume, then extend the primary's into free space just with Disk Utility. Should work! I used to do this occasionally when I flip-flopped between wanting native bootcamp or VM.

I think deleting the non-OS volume would probably delete their data on that volume too...

There's not really an easy way to do this without storing the data somewhere else temporarily and moving it back after extending the primary partition

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Presumably, both volumes are getting close to their individual capacity? Otherwise, the simplest solution would be to move stuff from partition #2 to partition #1, and then expand #1 as described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

tesilential posted:

Hey thread. I have a late 2013 rMBP. I often use it connected to a crappy display via miniDP to VGA adapter. When I first got the computer, the external monitor would not wake from sleep when the laptop did. The laptop would recognize it was connected to the display, but the display itself stayed in sleep mode and said "no input detected." My solultion was to unplug the adapter and plug it back in or to restart the computer.

Then apple did a cool update and the problem went away. If I returned to my computer which was in sleep mode, simply moving the mouse would wake the laptop and display.

But after that I updated to the latest OSX (before the recent one, I'll check when I get home) and the behavior reverted back to what I described up top.

It's super annoying, but it's a first world problem I'm willing to live with.

I want to buy a new monitor, and if AT ALL possible, I would love for it to wake from sleep like it's supposed to.

Would I encounter this same issue using miniDP--> DVI or mini DP-->DP?

Those of you with MBPs and external displays, do your monitors wake from sleep mode or screensaver mode when you move the mouse or wake the computer?

My HDMI port works perfectly when hooked up to a TV. It's the thunderbolt ports giving me trouble.

Tippis posted:

It can be a bastard to find out if it's what your suffering from and I have to google it every time I need to do so, so I can only direct you to do the same, but…

OSX has… ehrm… issues with connecting to some displays over HDMI. One of the more annoying ones is that it likes to flat out assume that whatever is at the other end is a TV that can't handle an RGB signal, so instead it sends a YPbPr and attempts to adjust to the narrower colour space by adjusting things like brightness on the fly.

Sometimes, this can be solved by creating custom EDID data files that force RGB and that's a bit of a faff too, especially if it's just for testing whether it will solve your problem or not.

The short of it is: if HDMI is involved and you have any kind of monitor issues, it is high up on the list of suspects.

These are a couple of older posts...but are the only things I can find that are even close to the issue I'm having.

I have a Late 2014 MacMini with Dual Asus VH242H Monitors. One is plugged directly into my late 2014 Mac Mini via HDMI, the other is plugged in via a DisplayPort adapter (that I got from Monoprice). All worked flawlessly through 10.10.2, then 10.10.3 caused some sort of problem where the monitor hooked in via the DP Adapter would show the Apple Logo while booting, but would then simply cease to display anything after I got to the login screen on OS X.

Settings -> Displays acts like it knows the second monitor is there, but the monitor constantly displays an amber "sleeping" light and will not wake up/recieve a signal from the Mac.

10.10.4 listed something about fixing some issues with dual monitors, but didn't solve my problem.

OS X seems to notice that the second monitor is physically there...but doesn't actually output any video to the monitor itself.

I have tried safe mode, and resetting PRAM without any luck.

I know it's not the monitors, cables, or Monoprice HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter...my 2013 MBA can output video through the adapter just fine...and I've tried switching all the cables around to make sure...but nothing I can seem to find will make the monitor I was using via DP work again.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm more than willing to give them a try!