Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

binarysmurf posted:

GIven I'm not doing anything serious with my Yosemite system at the moment.. Is the latest 10.11 beta that dropped this week stable enough for daily use?

In my experience, absolutely, with the only real trouble I've run into being a couple of apps that crash often and some annoyances with Homebrew builds.

edit: Double post not intended. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone else having weird issues with Safari and the newest El Capitan beta?

I am having web pages just randomly not wanting to load and Safari hanging up. This isn't even fancy pages, I have had it happen with the forums here. It started this afternoon as soon as I installed the update.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Roadie posted:

In my experience, absolutely, with the only real trouble I've run into being a couple of apps that crash often and some annoyances with Homebrew builds.

edit: Double post not intended. Oh well.

Thanks for your input. My initial impression was favourable.. but then Outlook 2016 stopped displaying the sidebar and e-mail folders completely, and OS X Mail decided that xx@me.com was my primary address rather than xx@icloud.com. When a supplementary App store download of 2GB was taking longer than the initial 6GB OS download, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and rolled back to 10.10.4 via Super Duper!

I'll just wait for the release version. :)

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

binarysmurf posted:

GIven I'm not doing anything serious with my Yosemite system at the moment.. Is the latest 10.11 beta that dropped this week stable enough for daily use?

I use mine for mostly just web browsing and some work stuff. Mail still crashes once in a while but otherwise it's pretty good, few small bugs but nothing showstopping.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Djarum posted:

Anyone else having weird issues with Safari and the newest El Capitan beta?

I am having web pages just randomly not wanting to load and Safari hanging up. This isn't even fancy pages, I have had it happen with the forums here. It started this afternoon as soon as I installed the update.

El Capitan is still in beta, so that might be why some of you are experiencing issues.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

kapalama posted:

So in trying to delete my old Time Machine backups so i can use the drive to backup some media, I foolishly moved two machines to the trash. Is there a way to fix this?

Answering myself since beating on the problem with a stick worked.

For whatever reason, you can move the machines from the backup folder, and and then not move them back. Because I knew deleting would take several hours (and it did), I tried to move the TimeMachine disk over to another computer to run the deletion process. That computer would not do the delete.

When I moved back to the first computer, I was also not able to do empty the trash, at fist. But After I started up TimeMachine once, and quit out of it, I was able to proceed with emptying the trash that contained several machines.

It tool several hours.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 25, 2015

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Last Chance posted:

El Capitan is still in beta, so that might be why some of you are experiencing issues.

Really? I had no idea that beta software might have issues. I thought that the beta tag meant it was super special!

Some people, especially those whom would be the type to use alpha or beta software, tend to want to find out if a problem they are having is localized or is a wider issue. It goes along in a process called troubleshooting that is used by many Information Technology Professionals to solve many computer problems.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Djarum posted:

Really? I had no idea that beta software might have issues. I thought that the beta tag meant it was super special!

Some people, especially those whom would be the type to use alpha or beta software, tend to want to find out if a problem they are having is localized or is a wider issue. It goes along in a process called troubleshooting that is used by many Information Technology Professionals to solve many computer problems.
This isn't a beta troubleshooting thread. If you have issues file a bug report and check the Apple forums.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Whirlwind Jones posted:

This isn't a beta troubleshooting thread. If you have issues file a bug report and check the Apple forums.

as evidenced by the thread title, "Mac OS X and Mac Software, Except for El Capitan Beta"

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

emoji posted:

http://www.hammerspoon.org/ is good if you're a nerd and v active development. Well, bye.

Fully functional Caffeine replacement in your dotfiles since the icon is lovely on retina and it was fun to make an amphetamine icon with ASCIImage:

Lua code:
ampOnIcon = [[ASCII:
.....1a..........AC..........E
1..........aA..........CE.....
e.2......4.3...........h......
.......................h......
e.2......6.3..........t..q....
5..........c..........s.......
......6..................q....
......................s..t....
.....5c.......................
]]

ampOffIcon = [[ASCII:
.....1a.....x....AC.y.......zE
1..........aA..........CE.....
e.2......4.3...........h......
.......................h......
e.2......6.3..........t..q....
5..........c..........s..q....
......6...............s..t....
...x.5c....y.......z..........
]]

local caffeine = hs.menubar.new()
function setCaffeineDisplay(state)
    if state then
        caffeine:setIcon(ampOnIcon)
    else
        caffeine:setIcon(ampOffIcon)
    end
end

function caffeineClicked()
    setCaffeineDisplay(hs.caffeinate.toggle("displayIdle"))
end

if caffeine then
    caffeine:setClickCallback(caffeineClicked)
    setCaffeineDisplay(hs.caffeinate.get("displayIdle"))
end

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Djarum posted:

I was troubleshooting. Several people described their issues and I diagnosed the problem: using beta software.

Solved. Shall we move on then?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Pretty sure this thread is for Mac OS X and Mac Software. God forbid I actually want to discuss problems with other people on these forums that generally has knowledgeable professional adults who seem to be able to do this in every other thread.

For the record I have filed a bug report and I just chuckled at the idea of looking on the Apple forums for anything worthwhile. I also found out what the problem was caused by but since "this isn't a beta troubleshooting thread" I guess I will just have to keep that to myself as well.

Last Chance posted:

I was troubleshooting. Several people described their issues and I diagnosed the problem: using beta software.

Solved. Shall we move on then?

No, you were being a smarky rear end in a top hat with nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion nor the problem.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tbh in the Apple world I've found that "your poo poo's hosed because it's a beta" is a perfectly valid response, since a lot of work goes into the OSes before release and they don't throw builds out that frequently or tell people what they're doing really

that's why i've just straight up stopped running beta software unless i'm developing an iOS or OS X app, and thank god i don't do that anymore.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Djarum posted:

Pretty sure this thread is for Mac OS X and Mac Software. God forbid I actually want to discuss problems with other people on these forums that generally has knowledgeable professional adults who seem to be able to do this in every other thread.
No really. In the past swsp made it a point to make sure that people didn't post about or discuss the betas in the OS X and iOS threads because it caused a bunch of derails. If you want to post about the El Capitan beta then make a thread for it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Beta chat used to be banned in Apple threads because you had to pay for an Apple dev account to get access to betas (except for :filez:), and Apple has reasonably good tools for reporting bugs (also except for :filez:). Maybe it's a little different with free public betas though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

withak posted:

Beta chat used to be banned in Apple threads because you had to pay for an Apple dev account to get access to betas (except for :filez:), and Apple has reasonably good tools for reporting bugs (also except for :filez:). Maybe it's a little different with free public betas though.
Yeah you basically ended up with a cycling derail with non developers running betas and complaining about them and questions about how/why they got the betas in the first place.

Anyway came to ask a non beta related question. I'm planning to get OS X Server and do network Time Machine backups to it, anyone know if the backup disk will be portable, or is there anything tying with Server or something else on the particular installation?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

FWIW I had the safari "not loading random pages" bug on 10.10.3 so it's not just an elcap bug :shrug:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried to migrate to zsh and angoster theme, but I'm having color troubles:

Terminal (left) is doing directory listing colors but hosed up prompt colors, iTerm2 (right) has the right prompt colors but won't do the ls colors correctly. You can see that it tries (if you look closely, the ls -G output in iTerm has the boldness, just no colors). Both are supposed to be using solarized dark, both have LSCOLORS=Gxfxcxdxbxegedabagacad (the same). I have ls aliased to "ls -G", which is why the commands above are explicit.

Any ideas?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Hed posted:

I tried to migrate to zsh and angoster theme, but I'm having color troubles:

Terminal (left) is doing directory listing colors but hosed up prompt colors, iTerm2 (right) has the right prompt colors but won't do the ls colors correctly. You can see that it tries (if you look closely, the ls -G output in iTerm has the boldness, just no colors). Both are supposed to be using solarized dark, both have LSCOLORS=Gxfxcxdxbxegedabagacad (the same). I have ls aliased to "ls -G", which is why the commands above are explicit.

Any ideas?

I use the exact same setup (agnoster, zsh, iTerm2) and I was fooling around with settings to duplicate your issue. The setting "Draw bold text in bright colors" under Profiles -> Text seems to force the text white. Turning it off makes it teal again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have a friend who's working on something in Photoshop CS5 for 2 weeks and during a save had the scratch disk get full and crash, now she can't find *any* save files at all and will have to start from square one. I suggested looking for .tmp files or going to terminal and doing open /tmp but none of that seemed to dredge anything up. Right now I'm completely baffled that there isn't anything to go off of assuming she was saving with regularity.

Is there anything that could turn up in ~/library/Application Support/Adobe etc etc? I haven't used PS on my mac in a while so I don't even know where temp files would show up or if this is even a viable recovery method.

Since mac seems to write things every time you so much as open a program is there still a way to find old cache files maybe using recovery tools?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I can't help, unfortunately, but a full scratch disk destroying the entire project is the most Adobe thing I have ever heard.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

I use the exact same setup (agnoster, zsh, iTerm2) and I was fooling around with settings to duplicate your issue. The setting "Draw bold text in bright colors" under Profiles -> Text seems to force the text white. Turning it off makes it teal again.

This worked! Thank you so much! :worship:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone been having issues using Google Music Manager and the new iTunes? I updated to the new iTunes and Google Music Manager is not automatically uploading my new songs I've added.... I've reset Music Manager and reuploaded and it's still not seeing the new songs in iTunes. I've also reset my computer and reinstalled the Music Manager app. Any suggestions?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 28, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Have the same problem. Apple probably killed it so you use Apple music :tinfoil:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Not helpful to you in the least, but where did you download the Music Manager from? I would love Google to store my music for me. They already got my photos. And my email.

Figured it out. You have to try and upload Music through Chrome. Then when it cannot manage to do that, it offers the Music manager download.

(How come google is so terrible at documentation and help pages? Their products are jewels. Their support pages and documentation are among the worst I have ever seen.)

vvvvv That works too. Thanks!vvvv

kapalama fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 28, 2015

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kapalama posted:

Not helpful to you in the least, but where did you download the Music Manager from? I would love Google to store my music for me. They already got my photos. And my email.

Log into Google Play Music -> Upload Music in the left sidebar -> Download Music Manager

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

kapalama posted:

Figured it out. You have to try and upload Music through Chrome. Then when it cannot manage to do that, it offers the Music manager download.

(How come google is so terrible at documentation and help pages? Their products are jewels. Their support pages and documentation are among the worst I have ever seen.)

vvvvv That works too. Thanks!vvvv

But it doesn't do it automatically through the Chrome extension right?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

But it doesn't do it automatically through the Chrome extension right?

It looked like it was trying to do so, but failed. Part of that is that my music is not in my home directory music folder, maybe.

It looked like it asked iTunes how much music I had, and then offered to upload the songs in my library, and asked me if I wanted to choose another folder as well.

Once it failed, it just offered to download Music Manager, which I assume would automate it. But I have not got my proper Music drive attached so I have not done much playing with it yet.

If it matters the download I just got included Music Manager 1.0 with a creation date of 5/30/2015. Sometimes Google's silent background updates break apps so I always keep copies of each new iteration. Google Drive's latest update (1.23)is a little bit sketchy, and if I roll back to 1.22 it says I am using an old software and quits me out. But If I roll back to 1.18 I can get back to uploading to the drive.

So I would troubleshoot it by first seeing if you can roll back Music Manager to a version that worked right. (Again, Google has shiny products, amazing features, and piss-poor documentation and support. I work around Google's lovely Quality Control on their pushed releases that by assuming that one of their silent updates will break some or all functionality. It happens all the loving time with them. Everybody releases beta software, and everybody forces users to troubleshoot for them these days, but since Google pushes updates silently and defaults to changing without permission, and it takes real system fuckery to stop it, it sucks.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 28, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Alan Smithee posted:

I have a friend who's working on something in Photoshop CS5 for 2 weeks and during a save had the scratch disk get full and crash, now she can't find *any* save files at all and will have to start from square one. I suggested looking for .tmp files or going to terminal and doing open /tmp but none of that seemed to dredge anything up. Right now I'm completely baffled that there isn't anything to go off of assuming she was saving with regularity.

Is there anything that could turn up in ~/library/Application Support/Adobe etc etc? I haven't used PS on my mac in a while so I don't even know where temp files would show up or if this is even a viable recovery method.

Since mac seems to write things every time you so much as open a program is there still a way to find old cache files maybe using recovery tools?

I had this happen to me once, a scratch disk went bad in the middle of a project and corrupted a PSD during saving. Thankfully, I had a backup. This was in the era before background saves (I was using CS4 at the time so that should give you the time frame). Your friend is boned, the temp files are on the scratch disk location and if that dies, there's nothing you can do.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Have the same problem. Apple probably killed it so you use Apple music :tinfoil:

More likely it's because Google Music Manager is some of the worst software by a major corporation on the planet

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

The Milkman posted:

More likely it's because Google Music Manager is some of the worst software by a major corporation on the planet

I dunno, iTunes is getting there

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
y'all ever heard of a little program called Adobe Flash Player

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The rear end Stooge posted:

y'all ever heard of a little program called Adobe Flash Player

It's a goatse sized security hole, but at least flash works some of the time

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just tried Google Music Manager and out of my 3000 song library it managed to match... 18 songs.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Do you guys use anything other than the stocks apps on OSX because I can't think of any other way for someone to think iTunes even approaches the label of "one of the worst pieces of software by a major corporation"

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Do you guys use anything other than the stocks apps on OSX because I can't think of any other way for someone to think iTunes even approaches the label of "one of the worst pieces of software by a major corporation"

I think iTunes gets a bad rap because when they ported it to Windows (which most of the world still runs), they didn't exactly do a native UI, they brought their entire UI toolkit with them, then bundled it with QuickTime, then installed various drivers and helper applications that sometimes misbehaved. In the end you got a VERY heavy app which didn't behave anything like a native Windows app and was slow as poo poo, when all people wanted to do was manage their iPod or whatever. So a lot of the complaining comes from people who use iTunes on Windows, I think.

On OS X, it runs fairly well in my experience, but a lot of the complaining from Mac people has always been that it tries to do too much. There's no reason for your music player to be handling backups of your iPhone or iPad, also the UI keeps changing. I wouldn't say it's the worst, but it's probably one of the worst stock apps Apple ships.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pivo posted:

I think iTunes gets a bad rap because when they ported it to Windows (which most of the world still runs), they didn't exactly do a native UI, they brought their entire UI toolkit with them, then bundled it with QuickTime, then installed various drivers and helper applications that sometimes misbehaved. In the end you got a VERY heavy app which didn't behave anything like a native Windows app and was slow as poo poo, when all people wanted to do was manage their iPod or whatever. So a lot of the complaining comes from people who use iTunes on Windows, I think.

On OS X, it runs fairly well in my experience, but a lot of the complaining from Mac people has always been that it tries to do too much. There's no reason for your music player to be handling backups of your iPhone or iPad, also the UI keeps changing. I wouldn't say it's the worst, but it's probably one of the worst stock apps Apple ships.

They just want the old SoundJam MP interface back man.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I still miss my Audion skins. :smith:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Pivo posted:

Yeah, pretty much this - the vast, vast majority of complaints that I've witnessed come from Windows users, and it indeed does suck on Windows. If it ran like it did on OSX on equivalent Windows hardware I would like it (was going to say "and adopt native UI" but after Win10 even MS doesn't know what that means anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

What IS the worst stock app, though? I always thought Garageband was fairly clunky, but I'm not much of a musician so maybe I was holding it wrong. iDVD was fairly loving terrible but it's discontinued so it doesn't count. I personally really hate iMovie.