Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The Milkman posted:

EDIT: I apparently hit Cmd+Shift+T at some point. :bravo:

luls

I hit like ctrl-alt-shift-R on Linux Mint today by mistake and ended up filling up my hard drive with a high-res recording of my dual monitors. oops.

OS X and OS X apps are the worst for obscure keyboard shortcuts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know what this process is? I don't know this website at all, and I don't think it's one I've been to.

Or at least tell me where it is running from, what it is doing, and how to stop it if it's bad? It's hard to figure out what this is from a Google search.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IUG posted:

Does anyone know what this process is? I don't know this website at all, and I don't think it's one I've been to.

Or at least tell me where it is running from, what it is doing, and how to stop it if it's bad? It's hard to figure out what this is from a Google search.

It's a site you had open at the time in Safari.

This is my Activity Monitor while on this site (I just took it):

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 25, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't have Safari open at all, and I've never heard of that site. I have one window open in my Dashboard from Safari, but it's a Weather Underground radar map.

I just opened Safari, and it went to the blank page with links to websites. Checked my history and I hadn't been there. Cleared the browsing history, and now it's discussions.apple.com. I don't understand that process I guess.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
A similar process will show up if you have Bookmarks & History + Bing Web Searches on in the Spotlight settings. If you're worried about it, just tick those off and you'll never see it unless you actually visit the site in Safari.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, that makes more sense. I just wanted to make sure I didn't infect myself with some kindof of malware somehow. Thanks.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Would there be any advantage to upgrading to Boot Camp 5.x from whatever version I used in 2011 to install Windows 7 on my Mid-2011 iMac? I see the current version allows me to install Windows 8 or 8.1, which I have no interest in doing, but would there be other improvements?

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
My mid 2011 iMac refuses to install updated Bootcamp drivers through the main installer executable, so you may already have the latest supported ones. In particular, Windows 8 is not (officially) supported.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anton Chigurh posted:

Would there be any advantage to upgrading to Boot Camp 5.x from whatever version I used in 2011 to install Windows 7 on my Mid-2011 iMac? I see the current version allows me to install Windows 8 or 8.1, which I have no interest in doing, but would there be other improvements?

They usually update the graphics drivers too, although you can get those from AMD.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I have as well, except that Safari is a stuttering gently caress.

Oh yeah, Safari crashes sometimes. Mostly when I visit these forums, actually.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fleshweasel posted:

Oh yeah, Safari crashes sometimes. Mostly when I visit these forums, actually.

Never crashes. Just pauses and lags like crazy. Usually when switching tabs, entering URL's...

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Never crashes. Just pauses and lags like crazy. Usually when switching tabs, entering URL's...

Do you have a menu named "Develop" in your menu bar? Disabling it may fix the issue. Go into the Advanced tab of Preferences and uncheck the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" option.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

IUG posted:

It helps to figure out the source of some of these kind of things by choosing "All processes, Hierarchically" from the view menu. It shows it in more of a tree mode where you can see what the parent is. Like looking at my own right now I see one that has Spotlight as the parent but it looks like an http address.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I set the startup disk to the main hybrid drive (the other one, just a reminder, is the stock platter drive) where OSX is installed. That didn't seem to do much, but it certainly didn't hurt.

I did a verbose mode startup, and the wall of startup procedures seemed to hang for a second or five at several parts but did not return any obvious "failed" messages apart from two bash commands trying to remove some installer files, which returned there being no such directory. I think those were general cleanup commands.

Once it hit the loading bar, it filled up in a couple seconds.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, I set the startup disk to the main hybrid drive (the other one, just a reminder, is the stock platter drive) where OSX is installed. That didn't seem to do much, but it certainly didn't hurt.

I did a verbose mode startup, and the wall of startup procedures seemed to hang for a second or five at several parts but did not return any obvious "failed" messages apart from two bash commands trying to remove some installer files, which returned there being no such directory. I think those were general cleanup commands.

Once it hit the loading bar, it filled up in a couple seconds.

Have you tried manually running a check on the disks? Apple has a writeup here that basically covers all the stuff to try:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CKyle posted:

My mid 2011 iMac refuses to install updated Bootcamp drivers through the main installer executable, so you may already have the latest supported ones. In particular, Windows 8 is not (officially) supported.

Hmm...according to this Apple document, the 64-bit versions of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are supported with Boot Camp 5.1.5621 on the Mid-2011 iMac:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

Perhaps only Windows 7 and 8.1 are supported, not 8.0, and the page is incorrect. Not sure why anyone would want to run 8.0 anyway. Windows 10 is definitely not supported though.

I got to that page by going here first and clicking the link for the Mid-2011 iMac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008

Anton Chigurh posted:

Hmm...according to this Apple document, the 64-bit versions of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are supported with Boot Camp 5.1.5621 on the Mid-2011 iMac:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

Perhaps only Windows 7 and 8.1 are supported, not 8.0, and the page is incorrect. Not sure why anyone would want to run 8.0 anyway. Windows 10 is definitely not supported though.

I got to that page by going here first and clicking the link for the Mid-2011 iMac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016

Interesting. Maybe I was trying to install versions of Bootcamp drivers that were too new and I got confused. Thanks for the links.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BobHoward posted:

Are you running 10.10.4? I had repeated kernel panics with it, logs indicated it was a launchd crash every time. Since launchd is the parent of every user process, when it goes there's nothing left for the kernel to do but throw a panic message up even though the kernel itself hasn't crashed.

10.10.5 seems to have resolved the panics for me but I have seen the window server crash on wake once, which is effectively a reboot since the window server is the parent of your login session.

Basically Yosemite is poo poo. Worst OS X release in a long time. Hope they're improving things in El Capitan for this fall, I haven't had the time to try being a beta tester this year.

No, 10.10.5... and I really don't have any complaints about Yosemite.

I just wish they'd add an option in (without screwing with third-party software) to make the upper-left corner mac icon rainbow. I miss the rainbow icon. :(

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Can't you just replace the .png file in the system folder? I remember doing that in older versions of Mac OS, anyway.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Three-Phase posted:

No, 10.10.5... and I really don't have any complaints about Yosemite.

I just wish they'd add an option in (without screwing with third-party software) to make the upper-left corner mac icon rainbow. I miss the rainbow icon. :(

I want the longer double flash on selecting a menu item back.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

They usually update the graphics drivers too, although you can get those from AMD.
AMD haven't updated their own driver offering for Boot Camp since last December, and even that driver was months old when they issued it.

The last version of Boot Camp drivers that I managed to install on a Windows 10 setup was version 6.0.6133, and that had horribly broken AMD graphics drivers on my R9 M295X. Skyrim would spin forever on the loading screens, and 3DMark would outright crash on startup, except when it didn't, where it would instead hard lock the machine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kode54 posted:

AMD haven't updated their own driver offering for Boot Camp since last December, and even that driver was months old when they issued it.

The last version of Boot Camp drivers that I managed to install on a Windows 10 setup was version 6.0.6133, and that had horribly broken AMD graphics drivers on my R9 M295X. Skyrim would spin forever on the loading screens, and 3DMark would outright crash on startup, except when it didn't, where it would instead hard lock the machine.

Windows 10 Bootcamp here on an iMac 5k. M295x. I have some kind of 15.xx drivers for AMD. Is it those that you mean?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I have a question that I thought would be easy enough to google an answer for, but alas...

Say you have a group message (imessage) with people (all on iMessage), and one person leaves the conversation. if the person is brought BACK into the conversation X messages later, do they see the messages they missed?

Like googling, I've only seen that if you have a group message, and add someone into it, they only see the conversation from when they were brought in. However, in the scenario that a person was in the conversation, and then brought back in, I want to know if they'd be "brought up to speed" and given all the messages they "missed".

Can anyone say for sure?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

I have a question that I thought would be easy enough to google an answer for, but alas...

Say you have a group message (imessage) with people (all on iMessage), and one person leaves the conversation. if the person is brought BACK into the conversation X messages later, do they see the messages they missed?

Like googling, I've only seen that if you have a group message, and add someone into it, they only see the conversation from when they were brought in. However, in the scenario that a person was in the conversation, and then brought back in, I want to know if they'd be "brought up to speed" and given all the messages they "missed".

Can anyone say for sure?

Can't say 100% for sure, but I THINK the only iMessages they'd see were ones sent to their devices. So no, they wouldn't be caught up. I don't think Apple stores conversations on their servers, they just pass messages to the people who are in the group conversations at that point in time.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Probably a stupidly simple question, but I'm not finding exactly the answer by googling: if the hard-drive on my MacBook is pretty full, and I'm routinely backing it up with Time Machine (and have a second Time Machine drive that I more occasionally run in case my main one is broken/stolen), am I generally okay to delete old photos off of my main computer and just figure I can pull them off either of my Time Machine drives when I want them?

Or is that not really what TM is intended for, and there's a risk that the computer will reckon "that photo LasVegas2008 was deleted off the MacBook a few year ago, so he probably doesn't need it taking up space on the TM drive so we'll flush that during routine cleaning when we start getting full", when I actually do want to keep that photo but just don't need it sitting on my actual laptop?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Or is that not really what TM is intended for, and there's a risk that the computer will reckon "that photo LasVegas2008 was deleted off the MacBook a few year ago, so he probably doesn't need it taking up space on the TM drive so we'll flush that during routine cleaning when we start getting full", when I actually do want to keep that photo but just don't need it sitting on my actual laptop?

That's exactly what will happen.

I'd recommend you get either a NAS, External drive or use Photos to keep your pics in iCloud.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Probably a stupidly simple question, but I'm not finding exactly the answer by googling: if the hard-drive on my MacBook is pretty full, and I'm routinely backing it up with Time Machine (and have a second Time Machine drive that I more occasionally run in case my main one is broken/stolen), am I generally okay to delete old photos off of my main computer and just figure I can pull them off either of my Time Machine drives when I want them?

lol do not do this, a coworker of mine lost all of her portfolio pieces this way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Last Chance posted:

lol do not do this, a coworker of mine lost all of her portfolio pieces this way.

Why people don't use cloud backup for photos these days is beyond me. It's cheap as hell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why people don't use cloud backup for photos these days is beyond me. It's cheap as hell.

Keep all your photos on Flickr or whatever. Google Photos, Amazon Prime Photos, whatever you use.

Back EVERYTHING up on a $5/month unlimited online backup service.

Keep whatever you're working on right now stored on DropBox or whatever.

Then have your Time Machine drive.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

kode54 posted:

You can update boot camp drivers in the OS now using apple's updater if you don't get them during the regular install. So either way there are newer drivers and they work great. Still no 5K support, but the graphics performance has been good in games for me.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Glad I asked!

Okay, so I'll segregate out any photos that are controversial (nudity, war crimes, etc) and keep those just on my own drives, and I'll move all the other thousands of images in my iPhotos onto Amazon Prime photo since I have Prime anyway, and that should take care of a huge chunk of my hard-drive space. Sound reasonable?

Yeah, I'm embarrassed in retrospect by how long it took me to start backing up anything at all, so glad I never had my laptop jacked or crashed hard and lost all my Iraq photos or anything. An artist friend kept putting off backing up all his portfolio work, his wife kept nagging him about it, so he finally got a drive and absolutely literally knocked his laptop off the table while walking over to plug the drive in, so last I heard he has it at some data rescue place trying to get whatever they can off of it.

In retrospect, should I just be using one drive as my proper Time Machine drive, and then if I have another backup, just make it a static backup where I manually load anything I want long-term onto it for safekeeping? And then copy everything from that drive onto a newer/better one every few years to avoid the drive going bad as it ages? And then just use an online backup for everything that's not totally confidential.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

And then just use an online backup for everything that's not totally confidential.

You should only use an online backup service that's encrypted (and you are the only one who has the key) so this shouldn't be an issue.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Last Chance posted:

Can't say 100% for sure, but I THINK the only iMessages they'd see were ones sent to their devices. So no, they wouldn't be caught up. I don't think Apple stores conversations on their servers, they just pass messages to the people who are in the group conversations at that point in time.

That's my thought as well, just thought it might do something different if someone was there at first and then got brought back in.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Glad I asked!

Okay, so I'll segregate out any photos that are controversial (nudity, war crimes, etc) and keep those just on my own drives, and I'll move all the other thousands of images in my iPhotos onto Amazon Prime photo since I have Prime anyway, and that should take care of a huge chunk of my hard-drive space. Sound reasonable?

Yeah, I'm embarrassed in retrospect by how long it took me to start backing up anything at all, so glad I never had my laptop jacked or crashed hard and lost all my Iraq photos or anything. An artist friend kept putting off backing up all his portfolio work, his wife kept nagging him about it, so he finally got a drive and absolutely literally knocked his laptop off the table while walking over to plug the drive in, so last I heard he has it at some data rescue place trying to get whatever they can off of it.

In retrospect, should I just be using one drive as my proper Time Machine drive, and then if I have another backup, just make it a static backup where I manually load anything I want long-term onto it for safekeeping? And then copy everything from that drive onto a newer/better one every few years to avoid the drive going bad as it ages? And then just use an online backup for everything that's not totally confidential.

it would be a good idiea anyway even if it wasnt the case that TM will remove the files, because you should always have an offsite backup in case of fire or similar.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I keep forgetting if there's an iphone thread but anyway

there's a bunch of free watermark apps on iphone, can anyone recommend one over another?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Or you will think maybe you have photos on there and realize that it's just not worth it to try and find them.

Google Photos is amazing.

TimeMachine is not really backup, because the volumes are too easy to corrupt and no recovery software can do much with them if you get.

If you ever do need to wander through your timemachine backup, apparently BackupLoupe will key you do that.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 29, 2015

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I keep forgetting if there's an iphone thread but anyway

there's a bunch of free watermark apps on iphone, can anyone recommend one over another?

there is indeed http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668654

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm noticing that Export to Photos from Mail doesn't seem to be exporting all photos that are sent to me. My mom sent me two emails from some family gatherings, one with 25 and one with 13 attachments. I exported the 1st email and only 21 photos showed up in Photos, and only 11 of the 13 from the second email. Anyone else noticing this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm noticing that Export to Photos from Mail doesn't seem to be exporting all photos that are sent to me. My mom sent me two emails from some family gatherings, one with 25 and one with 13 attachments. I exported the 1st email and only 21 photos showed up in Photos, and only 11 of the 13 from the second email. Anyone else noticing this?

Does the same thing happen if you export them into a folder and then try import the entire folder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Does the same thing happen if you export them into a folder and then try import the entire folder?

Nope, that works totally fine and is and what I ended up doing.

edit: I tried clearing the photos from Photos and re-exporting from Mail. I got 21 photos, then 23, then 23 again, but never the full 25. Saving to a folder and moving from there works fine every time.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 29, 2015