Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

The blocker that goons recommend is 1Blocker as far as I recall, it costs a couple of dollars for the version that lets you pick and choose what to block, so skip Starbucks tomorrow.

It works well for me.

edit: this is iOS, i thought we were in the iPhone thread. on desktop, uBlock Origin.

edit2: oh you were asking about ipad anyway. i'm hung over, screw you. yeah 1blocker.
It's an iPad 2. Safari content blockers won't work anyway.

Now, back to OS X chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tippis posted:

There's Tools > Protect Document > Remove personal information on save. Is that what you're looking for?

Thank you!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercurius posted:

You can also look at CarbonCopyCloner if you want something with a GUI. It's basically just a frontend for rsync and it costs money but it's one of the best file transfer programs I've used on OS X.
Alternatively if you want a free frontend to rsync, there's BackupList. I use CCC myself but BackupList should do the trick too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Safari is cool and good. I need to force crash and restart it sometimes, but that's probably because I'm an idiot with more tabs than sense.

I wish there was a way of grouping tabs together, kind of like how it does when you press the button that also shows you what you have on other devices. If I'm looking up vacation stuff, I'll have 20 tabs open on different sites alone and it'd be neat to group collapse them. I sometimes put them into another browser window, but that's less convenient when I'm on my laptop and run full screen not windowed.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Is there a way to rebind single-finger force touch to middle click? BetterTouchTool only supports multiple fingers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to configure el capital to always connect to a VPN (l2tp/IPSec) except for white listed wifi networks?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to configure el capital to always connect to a VPN (l2tp/IPSec) except for white listed wifi networks?

Off the top of my head maybe something like ControlPlane with a RunShellScript Action to activate the VPN client from the CLI. You'd probably have to set up an "Evidence Source" as being NOT equal to Nearby Wifi Networks that you don't want to use VPN on.

You might be able to set up Network>Location instead for your known networks and set up an "unknown" location for non-matches, and have the shell script kick off on location=unknown. In ControlPlane Context=Location.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 13, 2016

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I can't seem to install safari extensions from anywhere but the official extensions gallery - I open the downloaded .safariextz file and it opens up the extensions pane asking me to 'trust' it like normal, except when I answer in the affirmative nothing appears. The only way I can install extensions is to go to the official gallery, which works fine except for the obvious lovely selection and the awful layout. Anyone else have this problem?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Having problems with the App Store not completing a download of the El Capitan update (from Mavericks) that was aborted a while ago by a negligent user. I've restarted several times, but the App Store is locked on "Waiting" when I try to resume/complete the downloading. Is there any workaround for this? Unfortunately all of the combined updates O can find for manual updating say they require El Cap to be already installed.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Any cool, new apps come out recently? I feel like the OS X ecosystem is stagnating a little bit but it's probably just me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blinkz0rz posted:

Any cool, new apps come out recently? I feel like the OS X ecosystem is stagnating a little bit but it's probably just me.

No, not really.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

carry on then posted:

No, not really.

That's pretty amazing. Too bad the app store doesn't expose how many people purchased an item. I'd love to know, and the best you can get from the reviews is "at least 6–27 people."

Speaking of the app store, there's an iMovie update there. I've deleted iMovie, and so I don't particularly want to download this update just to delete it again. I've hidden iMove itself in my account, but the update won't go away. Is my only option to get rid of that update badge really to just download the drat thing and then remove it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

carry on then posted:

No, not really.

Huh. Even if it weren't utterly stupid in how it doesn't let you produce anything, it's not like the idea of separating writing from other parts of the process hasn't been in every piece of copy-writing software ever. :cripes:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tippis posted:

Huh. Even if it weren't utterly stupid in how it doesn't let you produce anything, it's not like the idea of separating writing from other parts of the process hasn't been in every piece of copy-writing software ever. :cripes:

Oh, it'll produce something, as long as you are actually productive during the time you scheduled for yourself. It's like pomodoro mixed with the movie Speed. It sounds about as useful as mixing a Keanu Reeves film with a text editor, but better Speed than The Matrix.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's not as cool/horrific as 'suicide linux', where if you type any command that results in an error message it self deletes the entire operating system.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So, am I just dumb and broken by years of Windows + various Linux distros, or is XCode really unintuitive? Specifically, I wanted to play around with dumb console applications, but haven't managed to figure out how to start one in debugger and give it input for stdin.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xarn posted:

So, am I just dumb and broken by years of Windows + various Linux distros, or is XCode really unintuitive? Specifically, I wanted to play around with dumb console applications, but haven't managed to figure out how to start one in debugger and give it input for stdin.

Its bean a few years and I only used it for iPhone development, not console, but I had a pretty hard time with it. A lot of this was having to learn Objective-C at the same time, but a lot of it was just XCode being a pain in the rear end, or at least that was my feeling. Most of my other development is done in Visual Studio or Sublime, for reference.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Xarn posted:

Yeah, Xcode is pretty unintuitive. Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome, but after you get used to it there are features you miss when switching back to other IDEs.

As above I've only ever used it for iOS development so I can't really help out with your problem.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I've used Xcode for command-line C applications. You want to go to the button that says "My Mac" or something, that's the Schemes list. You can create a scheme and specify command line arguments: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/recipes/xcode_help-scheme_editor/Articles/SchemeDialog.html

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

Yeah, Safari OS X doesn't have uBlock Origin apparently but does have uBlock although I'd go with Adblock Plus. Dude was asking about iPad though.

UBlock is in the Safari Extension list, but doesn't seem to work. I think the developer's page is down for that or he's pulled it.

I get confused, is AdBlock or AdBlock Plus the one who sells access through it's block lists? Or do they both?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
uBlock is available at https://www.ublock.org

(Use uBlock Origin for Firefox/Chrome)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What's the difference these days, other than some ideological schism about accepting donations or something that doesn't affect me in the slightest?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

MrBond posted:

What's the difference these days, other than some ideological schism about accepting donations or something that doesn't affect me in the slightest?

uBlock Origin is actually being updated. uBlock still works fine though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MrBond posted:

You have to choose a specific correct one unless you want people to throw tomatoes at you cursing you for picking the Wrong Adblocker. It's devastating stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

slomomofo posted:

Having problems with the App Store not completing a download of the El Capitan update (from Mavericks) that was aborted a while ago by a negligent user. I've restarted several times, but the App Store is locked on "Waiting" when I try to resume/complete the downloading. Is there any workaround for this? Unfortunately all of the combined updates O can find for manual updating say they require El Cap to be already installed.

There might be a partial download in your Applications folder or in Launchpad. Try deleting that and then restarting the download.

I have this issue whenever I update Xcode for some reason.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok thanks, I'll take a look and give that a shot.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What's the go-to video converter for making mp4s to play on iPad/iPhone?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

dantheman650 posted:

What's the go-to video converter for making mp4s to play on iPad/iPhone?

IIRC it's still handbrake.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Last Chance posted:

You have to choose a specific correct one unless you want people to throw tomatoes at you cursing you for picking the Wrong Adblocker. It's devastating stuff.

We sit in the shadows caring and waiting for someone to come along and say they use the wrong one. That's the only time I truly feel alive

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

carry on then posted:

I've used Xcode for command-line C applications. You want to go to the button that says "My Mac" or something, that's the Schemes list. You can create a scheme and specify command line arguments: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/recipes/xcode_help-scheme_editor/Articles/SchemeDialog.html

Oh I did find how to add startup arguments, I want to be able to interactively give it input on stdin.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
So, I managed to keep a NAS storage device automounted on my Macbook Pro (OSX El Capitan), with a sparsebundle on the NAS used for backing up to to Time Capsule. It backs up fine, but it seems like at some point the sparsebundle unmounts itself and the backup fails. I use automount from Terminal to keep the NAS mounted to a folder, but is there a way to keep the sparsebundle mounted indefinitely?

EDIT: Realized the problem is the wifi card going to sleep with the Macbook. I have an idea to schedule the sparsebundle mount and the "caffeinate" command with an apple script every night, I'm hoping I can get it working that way. I'm thinking something like this to run every night:

caffeinate -is time_machine_backup.sh

time_machine_backup.sh:
#!/bin/sh
tmutil startbackup --block --auto
exit 0

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 16, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Xarn posted:

Oh I did find how to add startup arguments, I want to be able to interactively give it input on stdin.

There should be a console that pops up when you print something. Do you mean that, or redirect output of some other program to it using Xcode?

e: maybe you need to hit this button:

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 16, 2016

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

slomomofo posted:

Do you have another Mac available? If so, go to the app store and download El Capitan (even if you already have it). It will appear in your Applications as an .app (Install OS X El Capitan.app). Copy that into the application folder of the faulty computer and you should be able to run it from there.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Good idea, thank you Grimshak. I don't have access to the computer until this weekend but I'll try these suggestions then.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

carry on then posted:

There should be a console that pops up when you print something. Do you mean that, or redirect output of some other program to it using Xcode?

e: maybe you need to hit this button:

Goddamit apple, your software was supposed to be intuitive. :v:

Thanks, that did it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xarn posted:

Goddamit apple, your software was supposed to be intuitive. :v:

Thanks, that did it.

iTunes development has been contracted to Adobe since forever.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

slomomofo posted:

Good idea, thank you Grimshak. I don't have access to the computer until this weekend but I'll try these suggestions then.

Have you tried just deleting the half-downloaded file from your applications folder and then trying the El Capitan download again?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

Have you tried just deleting the half-downloaded file from your applications folder and then trying the El Capitan download again?

I haven't yet (only see this computer on the weekends) but will give that a shot first.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

iTunes development has been contracted to Adobe since forever.
That would explain the iTunes update way back that wiped some HDs :v:

(There was a recent update for Adobe CC that wiped the first folder in root)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

japtor posted:

That would explain the iTunes update way back that wiped some HDs :v:

(There was a recent update for Adobe CC that wiped the first folder in root)

First *hidden* folder... Still hilarious.