Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

japtor posted:

EagleFiler comes up now and then, not all that often but people generally seem to like it. Found some links about it vs other options:

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2011/09/07/switching-to-eaglefiler/ (...and one from this year, switching to the Finder)
http://www.kevintaylor.me/kevintaylorme/2016/3/12/qcxyvgzbujwln0odlq8bjfwfbr8ez6

You could also look at a crapload of stuff on alternativeto.net under Evernote or whatever other app you can think of.

I will check out eagle filer, thanks!

I don't use places like "alternativeto" because they invariably gather programs that don't belong together because they share a feature. I was also hoping that other people here were digital pack rats like me and knew of an awesome program I could use. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a way to view the speed of a download in Safari?
El Capitan shows it sometimes, but not 90% of the time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the_lion posted:

If you're not doing anything else you can use the Network tab in Activity Monitor

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way to get Safari to start playing a Youtube video that's opened with a CMD-click without having to open the tab first?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

the_lion posted:

You could use MenuMeters (free) or iStat Menus (not free.)

If you have El Capitan, you can use this fork of MenuMeters: http://member.ipmu.jp/yuji.tachikawa/MenuMetersElCapitan/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It would be cool if they'd just fix Safari to show it all the time like a normal web browser

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I'm concerned, I just check the Network tab in Activity Monitor (providing nothing else is moving).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I just don't use Safari.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

I just don't use Safari.
Oh, pivo...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is there a way to sync your bookmarks, history, and saved passwords between Chrome on OS X and Safari on iOS? I prefer Chrome to Safari on the desktop but Safari is so much better than Chrome on the phone that I'll put up with desktop Safari so I can use the mobile one.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Bob Morales posted:

Oh, pivo...

I had the feeling this was going to be the case. Pivo is right.
The other workarounds people post are good, but i'm usually doing other stuff so I can't isolate the speed. :(

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Opened up Garageband and it opened to a project automatically. I opened another project and didn't click save because I thought I had already saved it already. Turns out I was wrong! Can't find the project anywhere. Creation and death go hand in hand, but I'd love to be able to find this drat thing. Figured I could use time machine if I knew where to look, I just don't know where I'd look.

I found ~/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Working Copies which sounded promising but it's got nothing in it for as far back as my time machine goes.

Any thoughts on what directory I should restore?

edit: Wait, if the project was open when I opened Garageband the project had to be saved somewhere, right? I guess I will just try and find the drat project. We can forget this post, but I will leave it here as a tribute to my stupidity.

decypher fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 20, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

tuyop posted:

Powerpoint/google slides is the high school student's collage tool of choice! If you resized pages in word/docs you could even make the thing pretty large.

If you want it to not look like rear end, you'll have to get photoshop or maybe gimp and much with the white balance on each separate image or layer and maybe erase some backgrounds.

To clarify, I just want to attach screencaps together into one larger image (I don't think the edit toolbar in Preview can do that, but I dunno), since multiple imgur links is kind of silly.
I'm not familiar with editing software beyond Paint, or any of Google's online software offerings. :shrug:

Nevermind, I found an online panorama maker.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 21, 2016

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I don't wanna convert my huge library of flacs - live stuff from the grateful dead, phish, etc, what alternatives to converting do I have? anything like foobar?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

DJ BK posted:

I don't wanna convert my huge library of flacs - live stuff from the grateful dead, phish, etc, what alternatives to converting do I have? anything like foobar?

Personally I'm a fan of QuodLibet, plays my FLACs just fine, is quite lightweight, decent tagging support and has plenty of plugins.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

DJ BK posted:

I like Vox.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
And if I want to convert from FLAC to MP3, is XLD still the go-to thing to do that?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Yes, XLD is great for that. Alternatively, you can pipe the files to something like lame/ffmpeg in the terminal.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Can someone please explain this witchcraft?

Also it's so shiny

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What does diskutil info [device identifier] say?

Could be a few things, like corrupted partition table or boot record, I think.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
That date, adjusted for your time zone, just means there's no date.

The other one, I don't know, it probably just doesn't have the exact number of bits on the tin.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
There are also some flash drives & SD cards that report a different capacity than what they actually have. I've usually seen it go the other way though (reporting more capacity than available) because that's a common thing to see when you get a Chinese knockoff instead of the real deal. In this case, probably just a slight mistake on Samsung's part.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Is there a reputable third-party mac software repo that hosts Thunderbird?

I just want Thunderbird to stay updated without asking the user to invoke admin, but I'm not really prepared to underwrite central management for our macs at this moment. I figure it would be expedient, for now, to configure a package manager at the system level, as per the Apple store, but I'm open to suggestions.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Eikre posted:

I just want Thunderbird to stay updated without asking the user to invoke admin, but I'm not really prepared to underwrite central management for our macs at this moment. I figure it would be expedient, for now, to configure a package manager at the system level, as per the Apple store, but I'm open to suggestions.
It's in homebrew-cask as thunderbird if that helps at all

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Eikre posted:

Does Thunderbird need admin access for updates if the user installs it to their local Applications folder (~/Applications instead of /Applications)?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So why is Safari a piece of poo poo? I've used it since El Cap launched because Chrome is a huge memory hog and cooks my Mac's GPU for some reason. Otherwise Safari is fine but it crashes constantly. Almost always when I close another Safari window or the downloads thing it just abruptly quits.

Also I got rid of flash some time ago and YouTube on Safari is a mess; the videos are laggy as hell and seeking causes the YouTube player to crash.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

So why is Safari a piece of poo poo? I've used it since El Cap launched because Chrome is a huge memory hog and cooks my Mac's GPU for some reason. Otherwise Safari is fine but it crashes constantly. Almost always when I close another Safari window or the downloads thing it just abruptly quits.

Also I got rid of flash some time ago and YouTube on Safari is a mess; the videos are laggy as hell and seeking causes the YouTube player to crash.
Apple's mostly been ignoring web everything since the iPhone got apps, because supporting modern technologies badly or not at all makes it a lot easier to keep up the walled garden on iOS. It's gotten like Internet Explorer in the Bad Old Days.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've never had a problem with Safari,unless it's some poo poo-rear end plugin (flash) that causes it, including streaming video.

Chrome on the other hand, runs my computer hot as hell, sucks up memory like its pizza rolls on progression night, and makes my battery last half as long.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I used Chrome for a week or so just now because I was suspecting Safari being the cause of a pretty severe crash I've been having with Logitech Control Center (turns out it wasn't Safari) and it's so bad. It makes the whole machine run sluggish, and watching a video on Youtube, while it plays them fine, raises GPU temperature like crazy and the fans practically drown out the sound of the video. Safari plays the videos cool and quiet but stutters like crazy, seeking is impossible without having the video freeze constantly or having the whole player crash with that dark static thing. Granted my computer is old as hell at this point but it didn't use to be this bad. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and either suffer through stuttering, crashing videos and Safari quitting to desktop at a moment's notice, or using my MBP as a frying pan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stare-Out posted:

What extensions and/or plugins do you have? I've not had issues like that, at least not since I upgraded to El Cap.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Yeah, Safari never crashes on any of my computers either. What do your crash logs say?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chrome runs fine on my iMac. Doesn't heat up at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've literally never had safari crash on three separate machines

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

computer parts posted:

What extensions and/or plugins do you have? I've not had issues like that, at least not since I upgraded to El Cap.

Ublock and a few others but it crashes even when they're not on. It never brings up the prompt to send a crash report to Apple either, I'll have a look at what console says the next time it happens.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Yeah, there's gotta be some other problem there. Safari is not a crasher for me, or for anyone I know. It's always been fairly stable, and ever since Apple made it a sandboxed-process-per-tab browser, the app as a whole essentially never crashes. On very rare occasions I do still experience a tab crashing, but in those cases the app does not crash out, it just has to restart the process for that tab (meaning the page the tab was on has to be reloaded). On exceedingly rare occasions I've seen one of those bugs where lots of tabs crashed and reloaded for some reason, but that was a long time ago with early versions of process-per-tab Safari.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

When I upgraded to El Capitan, I had Safari completely lock up literally every time I tried to load a webpage, but the problem went away magically after a few hard reboots. :confused:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Vulture Culture posted:

Apple's mostly been ignoring web everything since the iPhone got apps, because supporting modern technologies badly or not at all makes it a lot easier to keep up the walled garden on iOS. It's gotten like Internet Explorer in the Bad Old Days.

You probably picked up these ideas from a silly clickbaity brouhaha about a year ago in which an idiot of a web dev chose that angle to get lots of attention for his extended whinefest about how mean Apple was for failing to support half-baked JS extensions the very instant they were thought up, which was his preferred deployment schedule.

I mean, is it fair to say Apple's top priority is something other than web apps? Sure. Does that equate to them deliberately failing to support web app tech, or that Safari is the 'new IE'? No, not even close.

(If anything's a candidate for The New IE, it's Chrome. An essential part of becoming an IE is to be so popular that web developers start targeting just that browser, rather than standards supported by all browsers. You've also got to implement lots of poo poo that nobody else has (yet). Chrome's a lot closer to that status on both counts than Safari. Not that I think there's actually a good argument for calling Chrome the new IE either, btw, just pointing out that it's the browser in position to become the new IE, not Safari.)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Chrome got super poo poo after they forked WebKit. I've got a list of about 20-30 Chrome specific bugs for our apps that I check on once in a while and any sort of complex CSS animation will cause about 200% CPU usage while Safari is pushing 30%.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BobHoward posted:

You probably picked up these ideas from a silly clickbaity brouhaha about a year ago in which an idiot of a web dev chose that angle to get lots of attention for his extended whinefest about how mean Apple was for failing to support half-baked JS extensions the very instant they were thought up, which was his preferred deployment schedule.

I mean, is it fair to say Apple's top priority is something other than web apps? Sure. Does that equate to them deliberately failing to support web app tech, or that Safari is the 'new IE'? No, not even close.

(If anything's a candidate for The New IE, it's Chrome. An essential part of becoming an IE is to be so popular that web developers start targeting just that browser, rather than standards supported by all browsers. You've also got to implement lots of poo poo that nobody else has (yet). Chrome's a lot closer to that status on both counts than Safari. Not that I think there's actually a good argument for calling Chrome the new IE either, btw, just pointing out that it's the browser in position to become the new IE, not Safari.)
Or I'm a developer who makes heavy use of WebRTC and Safari, in May of 2016, still has no getUserMedia support :haw:

Apple had no issue with supporting bleeding-edge web standards and end-running around W3C with the WHATWG when it meant bringing applications to the iPhone before they had an app store strategy. Now that it competes with their preferred way of delivering mobile content, they don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I just don't use Safari.

When will you people learn? Safari is battery-efficient, but awful. Firefox and Chrome actually work, but rape your memory and battery. Pick your poison.