Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Who needs LDAP authentication?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/26/mac_osx_lion_security_hole/
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If ssh/nano isn't working correctly for you in Lion, check this out:

http://www.vanlune.com/2011/08/skipping-or-jumping-characters-via-ssh-in-nano/

quote:

I ran into irritating problem editing a file with Nano over SSH using Terminal. Characters repeats or skips when typing rapidly, deleting or using the backspace. Neither my remote server was updated neither nano so I concluded that it was caused by my newly installed OS X Lion - 10.7. I found a solution by going the the Preferences of the Terminal.app and going to the Settings tab. I use the Basic Profile. I opened the Advanced tab of the Basic Profile and changed the "Declare terminal as" combo to xterm-color.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I understand that iTunes Match is in beta, but is anyone having issues where, after uploading/syncing songs, you get duplicates in the list which are entirely grayed out and unable to be downloaded? A couple albums work perfectly fine, and if you delete the local files, they are able to be downloaded from iTunes, but in a lot of cases, you get this other issue. I wonder if it's because the system can't detect the album yet or what, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
What's the hotkey for bold/italics/underline in Word 2011? I've googled this and found it's supposedly the same as in the windows version (ctrl + b etc) but it just won't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Flyndre posted:

What's the hotkey for bold/italics/underline in Word 2011? I've googled this and found it's supposedly the same as in the windows version (ctrl + b etc) but it just won't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

It's command you want. cmd+b/i/u.

Generally speaking, the osx version of your windows hotkey is cmd + letter.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Oh my that's embarrassing, I was certain I had already tried that, but apparently not :doh: Thanks!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sulk posted:

I wish Active Directory binding worked correctly in Lion. I've been having a lot of trouble setting it up on a number of machines; a bunch connected after I found some workarounds, but now I have at least a couple which are giving me trouble and won't connect to the authentication server.
I've been having problems binding to AD at all since I updated to 10.7.1. In 10.7.0 I could bind to AD fine but had to manually set the search paths or it'd never authenticate. 10.7.1 can't even find a DC to bind to at all.

From developer chatter, I've heard that 10.7.2's fixed a lot of this (and apparently has drivers for the new MBA's and Mini's, which is nice) and that binding works properly again, although search paths working properly is still touch and go.

Out of curiosity, what workarounds were you using to bind onto AD?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pissflaps posted:

Chrome under OSX is acting a bit strange lately. Some pages take a while to load. For instances, image-heavy pages on SA are taking a lot longer than they did to load the images. Also on youtube, video thumbnails just aren't loading.

I thought you were the forum's official Opera user? Did you convert to Chrome?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there a way to make mounted disk images always open with a full toolbar? I remember in 10.5 they did this, but starting in 10.6 I would have to manually turn that view option on.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mercurius posted:

I've been having problems binding to AD at all since I updated to 10.7.1. In 10.7.0 I could bind to AD fine but had to manually set the search paths or it'd never authenticate. 10.7.1 can't even find a DC to bind to at all.

From developer chatter, I've heard that 10.7.2's fixed a lot of this (and apparently has drivers for the new MBA's and Mini's, which is nice) and that binding works properly again, although search paths working properly is still touch and go.

Out of curiosity, what workarounds were you using to bind onto AD?

I did a whole step-by-step write-up in case co-workers in my department needed help, but funny enough, I found that when it worked, it was in 10.7.1, but here's what I wrote:

1) Ensure that all system software is up-to-date. As of this writing (8/26/2011), the most recent version is 10.7.1.

2) Set up the computer's name via Sharing in the System Preferences. Turn on the options for Remote Login and Remote Management (all options under this should be fine to check off), asll well.

3) The next step is critical and is seemingly necessary to do, as of the present: as the admin account hosted locally on the machine, open Terminal and type sudo bash. You will be asked for a password; enter the admin password.

Next, after passing through authorization, enter the following command:
scutil --set HostName "[computerName]"

This will set the host name, the same as what you entered before, into the system. A current issue with Lion seems to involve the host name not changing, and it must be done at a root level. You can verify the name change by entering hostname into the prompt.

4) Restart the computer and log in as admin again. This restart allows the system to refresh with the local, correct hostname being used.

5) Open System Preferences again and go to Users & Groups. Select Login Options on the panel (you will likely have to unlock it by clicking the lock in the bottom left to gain authorization). First, under the two radio options for 'Display login window as:," change it to the second, which is 'Name and password.' This will allow for login from anyone on the domain (or locally).

6) then click Join next to 'Network Account Server.' A window will drop down and ask for input for the Active Directory Domain; enter baldwinschool.org.
The Computer ID is the same as entered the prior two times; it should already be entered into the field. In the Advanced Options beneath, under the Administrative tab, the 'Allow administration by:' option can be checked off. This allows for administrators to authorize changes on the computer by using their domain username and password instead of requiring the local administrator account.

7) Click 'Bind...," and the system should connect to the network after a moment. These System Preferences windows can then be closed.

8) Restart if desired; users should now be able to log in to the network remotely. If a red dot appears next to the user name in the login window, it should go away after a moment, if the network is connecting wirelessly.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

unruly posted:

Time Machine can only be encrypted if it is physically connected to the machine, FileVault encryption doesn't work with removable drives.
diskutil can be used in Terminal to encrypt removable drives without reformatting the drive.
http://www.ischack.net/2011/07/29/os-x-lion-filevault-encrypt-external-hdd-with-home-on-it/

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

japtor posted:

Who needs LDAP authentication?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/26/mac_osx_lion_security_hole/
:stare:

I read that a few times and I still don't understand what's happening. It reads like Lion is letting people access the LDAP directory without verifying credentials, but I don't see how that would be possible. Authentication happens on the directory itself, not the connecting client, right? I must be misunderstanding the problem.

(Note: I don't really have any experience with LDAP beyond Active Directory, which is a whole different beast)

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Just switched over to mac. Got an air.... strange problem:

Whenever I open Safari, two audio tracks play from some youtubes I watched a while ago and closed. I tried restarting and closing safari in activity monitor, but it still happens when I reopen. Any ideas?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Without much ado posted:

I've not used Boxee, but with Plex there is a preference that allows you to capture the IR remote. If Boxee doesn't have that option I think there are some third party apps that can do that sort of thing, but I have no experience with them so I can't really address that.

Turns out there's an option in Boxee that turns it's IR support as "always on" which makes menu load it rather than Front Row. So I'm just dumb.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Progression Please posted:

Just switched over to mac. Got an air.... strange problem:

Whenever I open Safari, two audio tracks play from some youtubes I watched a while ago and closed. I tried restarting and closing safari in activity monitor, but it still happens when I reopen. Any ideas?
All I can guess is that you might be running into the resume feature, and those audio tracks are in somewhat hidden windows, like minimized or in other spaces. Have you tried command-option-Q to quit? That's supposed to discard all the windows on quit, so next time you open it it shouldn't open anything automatically.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I have an incredibly "newbie" question since I'm still learning OSX: When I upgraded Skype to the latest version on OSX Lion, Launchpad decided to display two Skype icons:
1. Skype
2. .skype_upgrade

How on earth do I get rid of #2? See screenshot for what I'm referring to.

I tried dragging to the trash, I tried holding my mouse on it like you would on iOS, I tried Googling - nothing.

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 31, 2011

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Jeratain posted:

I have an incredibly "newbie" question since I'm still learning OSX: When I upgraded Skype to the latest version on OSX Lion, Launchpad decided to display two Skype icons:
1. Skype
2. .skype_upgrade

How on earth do I get rid of #2? See screenshot for what I'm referring to.

I tried dragging to the trash, I tried holding my mouse on it like you would on iOS, I tried Googling - nothing.

Did you click and hold on one icon until they all started jiggling? You should get a black X to hit to remove it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chimz posted:

Did you click and hold on one icon until they all started jiggling? You should get a black X to hit to remove it.
Pretty sure that only works for App Store apps.

Do a Spotlight search for the file and delete it. That or see if Skype deletes it on next launch. In theory that file is located in an Applications folder somewhere, either in the root of your hard drive or your user folder.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
@chimz - I tried clicking and holding and it doesn't allow me to do anything with the icon (like SWSP said, it's just for App Store apps).
@SWSP - That's the weird thing: it wont actually show me any files in Spotlight. When I open the applications folder the file isn't there. It's only appearing in Launchpad.

EDIT: Okay this is odd. So I decided to just uninstall Skype. This left the .Skype_Upgrade icon in Launchpad but removed the main Skype icon. I then tried clicking and holding the icon, and now it shows a little X that allowed me to delete it. It did not allow this when Skype was still installed!

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 31, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The reason you couldn't see the file anywhere was because it's a hidden file, as all files whose names begin with a "." are. I have no idea why it let you delete it only after you uninstalled Skype, however.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

brc64 posted:

I read that a few times and I still don't understand what's happening. It reads like Lion is letting people access the LDAP directory without verifying credentials, but I don't see how that would be possible. Authentication happens on the directory itself, not the connecting client, right? I must be misunderstanding the problem.

(Note: I don't really have any experience with LDAP beyond Active Directory, which is a whole different beast)

Yeah, that Reg article is terrible. Apparently what's actually happening (putting together the pieces from several other sources and a couple colleagues who have tried reproducing it) is that Lion isn't validating the password again for repeated logins on the same client system.

So your machine's bound to an LDAP server, and you sign in as network user bobdobbs with password splendid. Lion will verify that splendid is the correct password and allow you to log in to the client machine. You're done, you log out.

You/your coworker/Julian Assange come along to the same client machine and log in as bobdobbs. This time, no matter what password is entered, Lion will accept it and log you back into the client machine.

Or at least that's what I've pieced together. From my understanding, this doesn't affect anything except client machine logins where you're using LDAP as the auth source. If you're storing sensitive files on local machines or doing something stupid with network shares it may become a wider issue, but from the sound of things this isn't nearly what the Reg and the echo chamber it's created are positioning it as. Still a stupid problem and a security issue.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 31, 2011

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sulk posted:

Great List of steps
That's a really awesome guide for binding a Mac to AD, but unfortunately for me, I'm already doing all of that stuff and still no dice :(

In my specific case, it fails at the Bind step with either a 'can't find a valid authentication server' error or an 'unable to bind to the specified domain' message, even when I specify a DC to bind to.

Edit: Actually, I figured I'd give this a go on my own laptop (also running 10.7.1) over VPN and it's worked fine without me doing anything other than opening Directory Utility and binding through there. Maybe I've broken something when building our SOE image that I deploy through NetRestore. Time for more testing tomorrow.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 31, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jeratain posted:

@chimz - I tried clicking and holding and it doesn't allow me to do anything with the icon (like SWSP said, it's just for App Store apps).
@SWSP - That's the weird thing: it wont actually show me any files in Spotlight. When I open the applications folder the file isn't there. It's only appearing in Launchpad.

EDIT: Okay this is odd. So I decided to just uninstall Skype. This left the .Skype_Upgrade icon in Launchpad but removed the main Skype icon. I then tried clicking and holding the icon, and now it shows a little X that allowed me to delete it. It did not allow this when Skype was still installed!
I know I'm late because you already solved your problem, but this could help if it ever comes up again. You can install Launchpad-Control: http://chaosspace.de/launchpad-control/ which will allow you to remove items from Launchpad without deleting them from your machine. It has definitely made Launchpad more useful for me.

EDIT: This seemed to work well at first, but everything I hid has just been re-added every time I restart my computer. Hopefully this will get fixed in a future update, but for now I can't really recommend this anymore.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 2, 2011

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mercurius posted:

That's a really awesome guide for binding a Mac to AD, but unfortunately for me, I'm already doing all of that stuff and still no dice :(

In my specific case, it fails at the Bind step with either a 'can't find a valid authentication server' error or an 'unable to bind to the specified domain' message, even when I specify a DC to bind to.

Edit: Actually, I figured I'd give this a go on my own laptop (also running 10.7.1) over VPN and it's worked fine without me doing anything other than opening Directory Utility and binding through there. Maybe I've broken something when building our SOE image that I deploy through NetRestore. Time for more testing tomorrow.

I get similar error messages, unable to connect to with server or can't store password. Repairing permissions does nothing, it seems, unless it can't be done from an account. It's really frustrating because I really want/need to get them more easily connected. It seemed like a bunch of them conneted at first, and then the rest didn't. I have no idea what the deal is and how to resolve it barring waiting for 10.7.2.

What do you do for VPN? Cisco or something? The VPN we usually use is Windows only so I need another solution.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 31, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Yeah, that Reg article is terrible. Apparently what's actually happening is :words:

Thank you for explaining it, I was racking my brain how this could even be possible.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Thank you for explaining it, I was racking my brain how this could even be possible.
It's also, apparently, only for OpenLDAP-style authentication systems (like OpenDirectory) -- apparently machines bound to Active Directory aren't affected by this. Though, I can't confirm that personally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That would probably explain why this hasn't completely exploded wide open. I'm still shocked that it's taken Apple this long (and counting) to address the issue. As big of an Apple "fanboy" I am, there's no white knighting this one.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

That would probably explain why this hasn't completely exploded wide open. I'm still shocked that it's taken Apple this long (and counting) to address the issue. As big of an Apple "fanboy" I am, there's no white knighting this one.
Yeah, it's pretty serious. Though, I think the major blocker here for news about it is that a lot of institutions aren't upgrading to Lion yet. Just like Windows Vista and 7, there were (are) a lot of holdouts, waiting for that 'magical' patch that makes everything all better.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sold, nothing to see here..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 1, 2011

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is anyone interested buying a $100 gift card for the Apple app/iTunes store? I've got all the software I need at the moment since I only use my laptop for taking notes and music. I figure I'd ask here before going to SA mart with it. Picture of the card attached.

Does this offer come off the table at midnight?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you're interested, I can wait a few days, I'm not in a terrible rush.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone have any favorite Apple/Mac themed wallpapers?

http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2010/02/16/21-5-imac-wallpaper/

:haw:

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
I'm not sure if this has to do with upgrading to Lion or my college's network, but for some reason Mail.app has been taking forever (up to an hour for a 5Mb file) to send email attachments. It receives just fine, but my outgoing bandwidth has come to almost a complete stop. Even emails without attachments take between 20-30 seconds to send.

Can anyone recommend a fix to this? I know it's not our upload speed, because the dropbox I set up to get around the problem (I send larger PDFs and Vectorworks files to my office on a daily basis) has been uploading just fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Is there a webmail interface to test out? And what does the Activity window show (cmd-opt-0 [zero])? My wild guess would be that maybe you hit some quota or limit for mail clients and you're getting capped. Perhaps something is stuck in the sent mail queue and loving things up, I know that's been an issue on Mac and iOS Mail at times for some people.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It could also be your campus mail server. Might be worth a call to the local helpdesk to see if they have any other users reporting the same issues. They are probably going to have you try a different mail client, so I would recommend setting up Thunderbird and trying there so that you can beat them to it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you're using Ruby with Lion, like one of our developers who upgraded, make sure you pull XCode 4.1 because you won't be able to build any gems or anything since it won't find the header files.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Does anyone know of any software that will capture the screen of your mac and airplay the screen to an Apple TV? Basically like the Airplay mirroring for iPad 2, but from a mac.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Bob Morales posted:

If you're using Ruby with Lion, like one of our developers who upgraded, make sure you pull XCode 4.1 because you won't be able to build any gems or anything since it won't find the header files.

Do what now? I upgraded to Lion, have Xcode 4.1 installed, and have been merrily chugging away with my Ruby gems for weeks. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chutwig posted:

Do what now? I upgraded to Lion, have Xcode 4.1 installed, and have been merrily chugging away with my Ruby gems for weeks. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

When I say 'pull' Xcode 4.1 I mean install it (pull it down from Apple) because 3 won't work. Well, it probably would but it won't out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Am I blindly missing something, or does the Lion DVD player app not support AirPlay?