Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Was curious about what he could do to make it work with SIP, so I checked this out. Apparently the "solution" consists of disabling SIP, installing TF/TS2 to a location under /System, then re-enabling SIP. OS X chooses to trust code under /System to a higher degree, so as long as they're installed there they can do their code injection even with SIP fully enabled.

The downside is that Apple tends to blow away non Apple provided stuff under /System in point release updates. Users of TF/TS2 who want to use the products without leaving SIP partially disabled forever have to go through the process of rebooting into recovery mode and using Terminal to reinstall under /System every time this happens. It sounds like one of the big focuses for the new guy is to come up with a method for automating this.

(The other downside is that it's still code injection, and code injection really does deserve to die a fiery death, and it probably will be made totally impossible sooner or later. Apple got really hosed over by widespread use of similar code patching back in the 'classic' MacOS days, and ever since the release of OS X 10.0 they've made it clear to developers that relying on patching is a ruinous long term plan because Apple will actively fight back against it.)

It's been ages since I've been on that site, but that sounds like their original "we're not supporting it, but if you really must here's how to do it" workaround. I though he was working on changing things so it's not using code injection. Or maybe that's for the other thing they have. There used to be an active thread on their forums where he'd post his progress.

Disappointing if there's been no real progress and it's still "disable SIP. Good luck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you could come up with a way of automating it, what would be the point of SIP in the first place?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
mmmm yes this feels good

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

mmmm yes this feels good

You son of a bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4eZ7Z5yk8&t=15s

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Unfortunately, native commands don't work inside Powershell unless you launch Powershell from bash. :( I'd totally do it, otherwise.

Powershell is so good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Unfortunately, native commands don't work inside Powershell unless you launch Powershell from bash. :( I'd totally do it, otherwise.

Powershell is so good.

I'm asking you politely yet firmly to please leave this thread, foul demon..!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

mmmm yes this feels good

Kill it! Kill it with fire! :frogout:

Edit: Eh, that's pretty cool but why?

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 19, 2016

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

A while ago, perhaps 1-2 OSX versions back, I added cowsay to (I think, but maybe not?) ~/.bash_profile to increase productivity. Cut to now, with macports installed and several OS upgrades through the system. bash_profile now just has commented text in it describing several macports bash_profile backups but is otherwise empty of any real commands.
My question is, since this cowsay is still increasing productivity by showing up when I start a terminal, where else on macOS could that command be living where it's being run?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

tuna posted:

A while ago, perhaps 1-2 OSX versions back, I added cowsay to (I think, but maybe not?) ~/.bash_profile to increase productivity. Cut to now, with macports installed and several OS upgrades through the system. bash_profile now just has commented text in it describing several macports bash_profile backups but is otherwise empty of any real commands.
My question is, since this cowsay is still increasing productivity by showing up when I start a terminal, where else on macOS could that command be living where it's being run?

To go for the obvious: have you checked ~/.bash_rc?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I worked for an app company as their video editor, we shot some stuff on iPhones and AirDrop was so temperamental it was crazy.

Yup, for some reason I can't Airdrop to my girlfriend's iPhone just about half the time. Which is really a shame because AirDrop, when it works, is a pretty sweet file transfer method.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Froist posted:

To go for the obvious: have you checked ~/.bash_rc?

Should be ~/.bashrc and also should only be called if you're not opening login shells or .bash_profile calls it. It's likely that .bash_profile calls it though.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

Should be ~/.bashrc ...

Whoops yeah, that one. Sorry!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah I checked ~/.bashrc and it's empty or doesn't exist.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuna posted:

Yeah I checked ~/.bashrc and it's empty or doesn't exist.

/etc/motd?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Also check ~/.profile.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

tuna posted:

macports installed

:redass:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
loving Google Earth Helper scared the hell out of me because it suddenly wanted to make changes while browsing a random website. Ugh.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thanks I'll check MOTD and ~/.profile when I get home, although I suspect .profile is empty too. Hopefully its MOTD.

:( What's wrong with macports?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Homebrew is better/more predictable now and has more mindshare and doesn't need to gentoo everything anymore as it will fetch binaries.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

emoji posted:

Homebrew is better

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'll test it out next time I have a fresh OS.

[edit] Congratulations internetUserID='Kaizoku' for your correct answer of /etc/motd. It was living in there for some reason :)

tuna fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 20, 2016

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Does anyone know what the difference between the "iCloud" and "Login" keychains are in Keychain Access? It seems that the login one has a bunch more stuff (public keys and certificates) but are the application and internet passwords replicated across?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a good iPad app that supports the Apple Pencil for taking notes in class? I've seen a few for general notes, drawing, etc, but I'm hoping for something a bit more robust in its organizational capabilities.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a good iPad app that supports the Apple Pencil for taking notes in class? I've seen a few for general notes, drawing, etc, but I'm hoping for something a bit more robust in its organizational capabilities.

OneNote. Gives you a three-level hierarchy (Section -> Page -> SubPage) and supports pencil writing fairly well, especially in the full-screen mode. It'll also sync (via Microsoft Account) to your other devices. Only down side is it takes a few days to get fully used to it on the iPad. It works a lot differently on Windows than on iOS or Android.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm a fan of Noteshelf.

It has stackable notebooks, backup to Dropbox, and will sync notebooks with Evernote if you use that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any software that will let me mirror folders from iCloud Drive into Dropbox?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Is there any software that will let me mirror folders from iCloud Drive into Dropbox?

E;nm: I are dum.

eames
May 9, 2009

You could maybe symlink them with "ln -s"?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

would putting the dropbox folder inside of the iCloud folder do what you want?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I read that as wanting the exact opposite, and I don't think there's anyway you can do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Perplx posted:

would putting the dropbox folder inside of the iCloud folder do what you want?

I'll try that. I'm not sure if every app has access inside the actual iCloud Drive folder but I'll try it!

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Is there an app or something that will allow lists in Finder to appear more like they do in windows?

Example:

Displays lots of icons

Not as many icons

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

We figured out the how. What is the why?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jaegerx posted:

We figured out the how. What is the why?

Final Draft reader for iOS won't let you open a .fdx file properly from iCloud Drive whereas exporting it from Dropbox will open it without any problem. I'm saving a script to iCloud Drive and I want it to save to Dropbox as well so I can read it on my iPad when I need to :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Sunrise (the calendar app) is shutting down in a week - what are you guys using at the moment? I'm using Outlook on iOS since MS bought the Sunrise team and it's pretty much the same experience now, but there's nothing similar to it on OS X.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Final Draft reader for iOS won't let you open a .fdx file properly from iCloud Drive whereas exporting it from Dropbox will open it without any problem. I'm saving a script to iCloud Drive and I want it to save to Dropbox as well so I can read it on my iPad when I need to :)

that actually makes sense, thank god. I thought you were trying to cloud into your cloud as a backup. You could've just rsync'd from cron

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Eight Is Legend posted:

Sunrise (the calendar app) is shutting down in a week - what are you guys using at the moment? I'm using Outlook on iOS since MS bought the Sunrise team and it's pretty much the same experience now, but there's nothing similar to it on OS X.
I don't know what's unique about Sunrise. I've been using Fantastical for iOS and Mac, and it's, well, fantastic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

I don't know what's unique about Sunrise. I've been using Fantastical for iOS and Mac, and it's, well, fantastic.

Yep, Fantastical is great.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

Thirded. The new(er) desktop app is quite expensive for a calendar, I'm just using v2 which was a menubar widget alone (plus the iOS app).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

Yup, for some reason I can't Airdrop to my girlfriend's iPhone just about half the time. Which is really a shame because AirDrop, when it works, is a pretty sweet file transfer method.

I have no idea if this is real or just perception, but ever since I installed the new iOS 10 beta, Airdrop has been really reliable. It went from it working half the time to working almost all the time. This is communicating between two iOS10 devices and an El Capitan laptop.

I don't think improved Airdrop support is listed in iOS10's feature set, but then again that would be Apple acknowledging our lovely Airdrop was previously.