Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

thanks for the tip about Sierra. guessing that'll be out after October.

Desktop icons get shuffled into a dated folder and then into an archive. I delete the folders about once every 6 months. System works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hello Spaceman posted:

Download Blueharvest. It prevents .dsstore and similar files being written to external drives. You have to pay for it ($15 for three computers) but I've not found a free app that works as well.

Will check that out, thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I assume there isn't one but is there a way to send emails in Mail using CMD-Enter? Or any sort of desktop shortcut?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I assume there isn't one but is there a way to send emails in Mail using CMD-Enter? Or any sort of desktop shortcut?

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > + and choose Mail and put Send in the name field. Should work although I could only get Shift+Cmd+Enter to work...

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Isn't it like cmd-d? shift-cmd-d.

I assume that's what you mean by "desktop shortcut"?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently Transmission got hacked again :wtc:

http://gizmodo.com/mac-bittorrent-client-transmission-gets-infected-with-m-1785957214

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
My parents have a Mac that I believe is running Mavericks. Do they need to update to El Capitan for security reasons or can they wait until macOS comes out or whatever?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah Mavericks is fine

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Yeah, I'm done with Transmission. Twice they've offered malware-filled binaries from the official source as updates and I hardly use it enough for that. I'm thinking of using Deluge, but does anyone have a hot-take for best Transmission alternative?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've been using uTorrent for years with no issues.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I just use a remote server with rtorrent for my Linux ISO needs.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I really like qbittorrent. Their philosophy is: copy the utorrent app before it became poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kaizoku posted:

Yeah, I'm done with Transmission. Twice they've offered malware-filled binaries from the official source as updates and I hardly use it enough for that. I'm thinking of using Deluge, but does anyone have a hot-take for best Transmission alternative?

I like Deluge but it's not like a torrent app is something to get passionate about.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuyop posted:

I like Deluge but it's not like a torrent app is something to get passionate about.

I agree, but I really don't use enough/hear enough about BT clients to know if others have had similar issues. No one sprang out with hatred for anything other than qbittorrent being a better version of utorrent, and both qbittorrent and Deluge have good enough CLI commands for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tuyop posted:

True, but using one that is a pain can be a sucky experience. I've always liked Transmission so this is quite crappy. I use qb on my Windows machine.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Three-Phase posted:

My parents have a Mac that I believe is running Mavericks. Do they need to update to El Capitan for security reasons or can they wait until macOS comes out or whatever?

I think security updates stop once they're more than 2 releases out? They might have to upgrade to stay current on security patches soon.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think the last security update for Mavericks (10.9.5) was back in July, Security Update 2016-004.

Of note is that the latest, Security Update 2016-005 (released today!) only updates 10.10.5 and 10.11.6.

Looking at past releases, if 10.9.5 patches don't appear for the next two security updates, this pretty much means they've given up patching 10.9.5.

Every time they patch Safari 9, they've included Mavericks compatibility. If we're getting Safari 10 in Sierra, pretty sure they'll stop patching it for Mavericks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone's Apple trackpad lagging more after that Security Update from today 🤔

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I went ahead and created an event thread here: Apple Event - September 7th - Pre-, Live- and Post-Discussion Thread.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weedle posted:

I've been using uTorrent for years with no issues.

gently caress uTorrent. I ran the installer, it closed my Safari windows without any warning, beachballed my computer for about 25 seconds, then opens up with eBayShopper and SearchEZ extensions...

Next suggestions?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I switched to qbittorent and its fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress uTorrent. I ran the installer, it closed my Safari windows without any warning, beachballed my computer for about 25 seconds, then opens up with eBayShopper and SearchEZ extensions...

Next suggestions?

Uh, deluge?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

rear end Catchcum posted:

I switched to qbittorent and its fine.

I didn't know it had a Mac version. This is the obvious choice to jump to, been using the Windows version for years

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

uTorrent just stopped working for me last year. I'd try to start it and it would bounce once and then just shut off.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I haven't updated utorrent since I installed it 5 years ago and it's been working fine since.

But yeah any popular free app that is more than a few years old, you should prepare yourself to have a bunch of malware installed.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Deluge + Magnet Handler so that you can open magnet links with a click instead of copying the URL and pasting it in like some kind of savage.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
just use qbitorrent it is super easy

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I didn't get any malware on my computer when I installed uTorrent but I also read what the installer said and told it not to install the poo poo I didn't want. Your mileage may vary.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Or you can just use transmission because it's good and they are moving to github to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm not moving away personally because the problems have only affected direct downloads in a tiny window of time, never the update server. The first time around was literally a few days after I did a clean install, which was quite worrisome.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Or you can just use transmission because it's good and they are moving to github to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

For it to happen like it has already (twice!), one of the devs' computers or servers has to be compromised and they don't give a poo poo about it, so moving to Github just means they get to pretend to be safe right up until a hacker swaps one of their Github release uploads for something with malware in it.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Have they removed the ability to use your iCloud login as your account on Mac now? Had to do a fresh install earlier and can't connect the two like I had before

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I used it to set up my Mac very recently 🤔

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Roadie posted:

For it to happen like it has already (twice!), one of the devs' computers or servers has to be compromised and they don't give a poo poo about it, so moving to Github just means they get to pretend to be safe right up until a hacker swaps one of their Github release uploads for something with malware in it.

Once is a mistake, twice is either ignorance. At this point, I don't trust that it's not done with purpose--software with a massive install base where someone with legitimate access is leveraging that access. Deploy it once every so often bugged, leave it up for a day, collect dollars and feign ignorance. All that https://transmissionbt.com/keydnap_qa/ tells me (which I had to dig through their forums to find in the first place, should be linked to on front page or a news page that doesn't exist) is that they don't know any better than we do what's going wrong.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is there any way to change the location on the screen where Notifications appear? Right now they all appear in the top right for me, blocking buttons I need to use in my browser when I'm going to click on something and then someone Skype/Slack messages me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mame is up to 1.77 but the MAMEOSX site is only at 1.35....is there another places that packages a newer build?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I used it to set up my Mac very recently 🤔

weird, i cannot set it up on mine and i'm running el capitan 10.11.6

can't even set it up on the users control panel

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

MrChupon posted:

Is there any way to change the location on the screen where Notifications appear? Right now they all appear in the top right for me, blocking buttons I need to use in my browser when I'm going to click on something and then someone Skype/Slack messages me.

I don't think so, but you CAN move your browser buttons.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Choadmaster posted:

I don't think so, but you CAN move your browser buttons.

…or just make the window narrower. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
EDIT I AM A MORON

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2016