Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there ANY way to get rid of the cloud icon in iTunes for Apple Music stuff? I hate seeing it on every single album cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there ANY way to get rid of the cloud icon in iTunes for Apple Music stuff? I hate seeing it on every single album cover

Downloading them all to local storage is the only way I know.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

I think it's useful because if you cancel your subscription, you know exactly what albums are disappearing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have no intention of cancelling at this stage. I wonder if there's some way of peeking inside iTunes and deleting that tiny cloud png file 🤔

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It goes away if you download it to local storage.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My library is bigger than my SSD :shobon:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

My library is bigger than my SSD :shobon:

Get a bigger SSD.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple just updated the macOS Sierra page: It's being released September 20th.

http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/

Kind of a stealth announcement if you ask me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Apple just updated the macOS Sierra page: It's being released September 20th.

http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/

Kind of a stealth announcement if you ask me.
Kind of a boring OS update if you ask me.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I'm pretty stoked about Siri integration.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I'm pretty stoked about Siri integration.

Edit:

It only took 22 years, but you'll finally actually be able to gently caress with people like that.

I want to see a Kickstarter to air a radio ad that goes "HEY SIRI, SEARCH FOR MY LITTLE PONY" or something.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 7, 2016

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Is the 10.12 Public Beta also the GM that was released to developers?

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
Have I missed the boat for the Sierra beta since they announced the release date? Neglected the email notification they sent there doesn't seem to be a working link on the beta page to download the install client.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gnrk posted:

Is the 10.12 Public Beta also the GM that was released to developers?

Unless they did something in the last few hours they haven't updated the public beta yet.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Have they done much to improve Siri's recognition since the 4s days? I barely used it then, as it seemed to hate accents. Hard to get pumped about it on mac.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Siri sucks. The only thing I miss from android is OK Google

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

Have they done much to improve Siri's recognition since the 4s days? I barely used it then, as it seemed to hate accents. Hard to get pumped about it on mac.

It's substantially better now, but still far from perfect.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I have a .pdf of a old scanned manual that I was planning on printing out as part of a reference for a test I'm taking soon. I didn't need all the pages in the manual, so I used preview to delete pages from the .pdf where necessary. When I saved it, though, the scanning got all screwed up. The pages all get shifted up, leaving the tops cut off and white space underneath. See below:

Original:

Abridged copy:

Anyone know what's going on?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

cbirdsong posted:

It's substantially better now, but still far from perfect.

Windows Phone always had the best recognition. Our Lumia from 4 years ago could dictate texts like nobody's business. I haven't played too much with Cortana, but it's probably similar.

Roadie posted:

Edit:

It only took 22 years, but you'll finally actually be able to gently caress with people like that.

I want to see a Kickstarter to air a radio ad that goes "HEY SIRI, SEARCH FOR MY LITTLE PONY" or something.

They're already doing that if you watch Mr. Robot with an Amazon Echo in the same room.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Doorselfin posted:

Have I missed the boat for the Sierra beta since they announced the release date? Neglected the email notification they sent there doesn't seem to be a working link on the beta page to download the install client.

Probably, if you log into beta.apple.com now, you'll be given a redemption code for the GM candidate.

When you download it, it shows up in your Purchased tab as "mac OS Sierra."

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can anyone tell me why my imac suddenly won't play Youtube's html5 videos? Youtube tells me that my "browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" and then it gives me a link to html5 FAQs. It works fine on my macbook but not on the imac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What OS is on the iMac? El Capitan? Yosemite? Mavericks?

What browser? Safari?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Sorry, El Capitan and Safari.

Deleted Adblock Plus and that solved it, which is strange because I also have that extension on the macbook. Are you allowed to ask about preferred ablockers for Safari or is that like asking for a weather forecast app in the iphone thread?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

Sorry, El Capitan and Safari.

Deleted Adblock Plus and that solved it, which is strange because I also have that extension on the macbook. Are you allowed to ask about preferred ablockers for Safari or is that like asking for a weather forecast app in the iphone thread?

I use 1Blocker now, since ublock was letting things through. I like that the settings are cloud based so it acts the same across iOS as well.

The settings can be overwhelming if you try to micromanage everything. It also auto-blocks almost *all* comment threads out of the box, so you may want to turn that off.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I moved back to AdBlock because it's free, they do have an option for using Safari's Content Blocking functionality, and did a great job explaining the benefits and limits of that functionality.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So what's the big features with Sierra, just Siri?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PiP for video playback, Siri, can't remember anything else!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A lot more iCloud integration (you can backup your entire documents & desktop if you have the space, and if you run out of room it'll delete the local copy of those backed up files), Photos is smarter, a lot more Continuity support (you can unlock your Mac with an Apple Watch, and you can copy/paste from your Mac to your iPhone).

There's other little things like adding tabs to all native MacOS apps (like maps, etc) and disabling plugins in Safari by default so people can get the gently caress off Flash. Oh and they introduced a new file system but it's extremely beta.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So the NDA is still up for Sierra, right?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't think there's been much of an NDA ever since they started a public beta program. :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

I don't think there's been much of an NDA ever since they started a public beta program. :shrug:

Yeah considering they seeded the final release candidate for both iOS 10 and Sierra to the public beta program, I think it's pretty much a given there's going to be tons of stuff about it online now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Okay.

iPhoto runs pretty good in Sierra, but I get the feeling it'll be the last OS that supports it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tip for anyone who keeps their OneDrive/Dropbox folder in Documents: Do NOT sync Docs & Desktop with iCloud or you'll gently caress it up.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I don't like that you can either sync documents and desktop, or nothing. Sometimes I put random junk on my desktop that I need temporarily and I delete a few minutes later, and I really don't need that stuff to be synced to all my devices. It's junk I'm gonna delete anyway, but because I don't want my stupid desktop stuff synced, I can't have my documents synced either. Just an oversight I'm sure they'll fix, but it's enough to make me not use the feature for now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I have a "tmp" folder that I use for that sort of thing, since I tend to forget things on the desktop and don't like to clutter it.

That said I absolutely will not turn on Desktop/Documents sync, mainly because I really don't need or want Documents to be synced, and secondarily because World of Warships keeps all 26GB of its game files there for ~reasons~.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

wdarkk posted:

That said I absolutely will not turn on Desktop/Documents sync, mainly because I really don't need or want Documents to be synced, and secondarily because World of Warships keeps all 26GB of its game files there for ~reasons~.

I have to wonder now if Apple's going to do anything to mess with all the games and apps that just arbitrarily dump their poo poo in Documents instead of using Application Support. It seems like that would be the biggest problem with Documents sync for most people.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, all that stuff is why I long ago wrote off Documents and just use Dropbox as my documents folder.

Speaking of Dropbox, they're up to somewhat shady poo poo with Mac permissions: http://applehelpwriter.com/2016/08/29/discovering-how-dropbox-hacks-your-mac/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, all that stuff is why I long ago wrote off Documents and just use Dropbox as my documents folder.

Speaking of Dropbox, they're up to somewhat shady poo poo with Mac permissions: http://applehelpwriter.com/2016/08/29/discovering-how-dropbox-hacks-your-mac/

Project Infinite is the real horror show. It requires kernel level access and Dropbox won't back down from that even after the outcry last spring about it. There's no timeline as to when it will merged with the Dropbox Sync code, but I've been slowly moving my stuff off Dropbox and onto iCloud and OneDrive.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

For all of us who don't understand what you're talking about, what's the problem, how big of a problem is it (if any) and why is iCloud and OneDrive better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dropbox responded:

Hi HN — Ben from Dropbox here on the desktop client team. Wanted to clarify a few things —
- Clearly we need to do a better job communicating about Dropbox’s OS integration. We ask for permissions once but don’t describe what we’re doing or why. We’ll fix that.
- We only ask for privileges we actively use -- but unfortunately some of the permissions aren’t as granular as we would like.
- We use accessibility APIs for the Dropbox badge (Office integrations) and other integrations (finding windows & other UI interactions).
- We use elevated access for where the built-in FS APIs come up short. We've been working with Apple to eliminate this dependency and we should have what we need soon.
- We never see or store your admin password. The dialog box you see is a native OS X API (i.e. made by Apple).
- We check and set privileges on startup — the intent was to make sure Dropbox is functioning properly, works across OS updates, etc. The intent was never to frustrate people or override their choices.
We’re all jumping on this. We’ll do a better job here and we’re sorry for any anger, frustration or confusion we’ve caused.

Read the whole discussion on HN:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12463338