Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is that new update supposed to take more than 30 minutes or is my Mac Mini bricked now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

awesome-express posted:

Took me 5-8 mins on my mid 2011 MBA

Oh poo poo. I'll see what happens in another hour.

How do you reboot to the recovery partition?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
My drive is encrypted so that might be part of what is slowing it down.

Or it's bricked.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Called Apple, they told me to reboot it, that cleared up the problem.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a fairly simple OSX apps question - I am fairly new to OSX and Apple computers. Used them a little in school, got a Mac Mini a few months ago, and haven't looked back since. It's a fantastic little computer and a great OS.

Anyhow - I know on iOS I can install an application I buy on multiple iOS devices that are linked to my apple account.

On OSX, if I have the same account linked to both a Mac Mini, and, say, a MacBook Pro, do I need to purchase applications twice, or can I run the same purchased app on both computers?

EDIT: Looks like I can, up to like five computers.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Is anyone having trouble signing into iCloud since upgrading to Yosemite? I just get an endless "loading" wheel when I try.

e: It finally went through for just general iCloud, but I still can't seem to sign in to iMessages.

I've had weird problems with iCloud email. Via a browser or iOS, no problem, but it seems like the email app on Yosemite occasionally has trouble talking to iCloud. (Asks for password, then will fail to connect, after awhile it does connect OK.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This is cross-posted from another SH/SC thread: does anyone have recommendations for antivirus software for Mac (OS X Yosemite?) I found that ClamAV tends to crap itself (seems like a memory leak) if you try and scan the main drive thingy or whatever you call it that has the OS in it. (I am new to this Mac stuff.)

But to be honest since I don't pirate stuff, don't install anything that's unsigned, don't use Java, and don't run any extensions that aren't secure or in an unsafe mode, I'm not sure if it's really necessary with OS X...? v:shobon:v

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

That's cool. Lots of people said it wasn't necessary as long as you follow basic safeguards. Oh, and I never "use" the computer in administrator mode. I have a separate account that I use to "elevate" myself when necessary.

I realized a few days ago I was surfing in Safari with adblock temporarily off. Should I take my backup, flatten, and re-install the OS?

As an aside, coming from someone who used Windows pretty much their entire life, I was absolutely delighted when I realized that I could use control+arrow to switch between multiple desktops!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 22, 2014

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

Burn the machine. In a foreign country preferably. Also consider killing everyone you've spoken to in the last 6 days.

Can viruses infect the restore partition? I'd assume that's something that's effectively read-only.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BobHoward posted:

It's normally unmounted, but malware which already controls things could easily mount it read/write. If you ever decide to start over with a clean install and you're paranoid about the restore partition having been hacked, you can use Internet Restore.

I would think that the OS (or the restore loader... thing...) would so some kind of check to make sure the restore partition wasn't screwed with. And if that partition isn't mounted, unless the malware can mount it... that sounds pretty convoluted. Possible, but not plausible.

As I said before, I am really new to the Mac, but I think the internet restore functionality is amazing.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

What do you still use that needs Flash? Just curious.

Stupid crap on Newgrounds.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a quick Bluetooth question - I have a Mac Mini, and I want to use a Bluetooth pair of headphones. What's odd is that when Bluetooth is on, it always says that the Mac I have is discoverable ("discoverable as THREE-PHASE's Mac Mini" or whatever).

Are there any security issues that I should be concerned about being in an apartment complex with bluetooth on?

The only settings I've set were:
  • Turning handoff OFF
  • Sharing is DISABLED (including sharing via Bluetooth)

I think this is OK... :shrug:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kode54 posted:

It should only be discoverable when Bluetooth Preferences is open.

Oh. I didn't know that. I assumed that when Bluetooth was turned on in OS X, it would always be discoverable.

Is there any way to test that out? (Seems a bit like a "light inside the refrigerator" kind of problem.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've been doing some editing of Arma 3 footage in iMovie, it's working really well. For titles and effects, I saw this piece of software called Motion 5. What is the learning curve like for Motion 5?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a 2013-ish Mac Mini I've owned and used regularly for the past two+ years, and I got my first ever "Kernel Panic" where the screen goes black and the computer resets.

Is this a sign of some serious hardware problem brewing, or is it just a glitch?

I occasionally got BSOD's on Windows, but this was the first time I ever saw this happen, so I was extremely surprised.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BobHoward posted:

Are you running 10.10.4? I had repeated kernel panics with it, logs indicated it was a launchd crash every time. Since launchd is the parent of every user process, when it goes there's nothing left for the kernel to do but throw a panic message up even though the kernel itself hasn't crashed.

10.10.5 seems to have resolved the panics for me but I have seen the window server crash on wake once, which is effectively a reboot since the window server is the parent of your login session.

Basically Yosemite is poo poo. Worst OS X release in a long time. Hope they're improving things in El Capitan for this fall, I haven't had the time to try being a beta tester this year.

No, 10.10.5... and I really don't have any complaints about Yosemite.

I just wish they'd add an option in (without screwing with third-party software) to make the upper-left corner mac icon rainbow. I miss the rainbow icon. :(

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When will you people learn? Don't quote Pivo.

What's wrong with Pivo? He's got a really nice avatar.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've got an iCloud security question:

If someone has previously set up their iCloud account to use two-step authentication, is there any benefit in disabling that and switching to the newer two-factor authentication?

My understanding is there are only these differences:
* The authorization code changes from 4 to 6 digits
* The recovery key goes away and instead some mysterious account recovery system is used

Any advice would really be appreciated. I'm a bit torn because the old system seems to be a real multi-factor authentication system that except for the four-digit authorization code is much more secure.

My concern is someone with just the iCloud username running account recovery and breaking in that way.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 18, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
My parents have a Mac that I believe is running Mavericks. Do they need to update to El Capitan for security reasons or can they wait until macOS comes out or whatever?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
EDIT I AM A MORON

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
OSX Sierra question: there's a lot of iCloud-centric stuff in Sierra like desktop cloud storage and the iCloud storage optimization.

Are these features optional, as in they aren't turned on by default and you opt in and out of them? (There are a lot of iCloud features I don't use like photo storage and keychain. I like having control over that.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It asked me when I installed sierra about the desktop and documents sync

Cool beans.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is there a problem with the 2016-002 security update for El Capitan?

I tried to update it from the App Store but when restarting the computer said it could not verify the update. When I manually downloaded SecUpd2016-002ElCapitan.pkg I noticed the SHA checksum did not match Apple's. It was like 1E 34 E3... when it should have been FA 02 79 or 9C 86 47...

Best case is Apple messed this up, worst case somebody hacked their updater?

EDIT: There are three different SHAs for the root, update cert authority, and the update itself. I was looking in the wrong place. The update cert matched the FA 02... checksum. So the installer I got from Apple should be OK.

I'm just super-ultra cautious not to install anything outside of the App Store. Probably should upgrade to Sierra anyways.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 7, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I do have one question about doing a clean install/reload:

I have a piece of software, Cheetah 3D, that I purchased but the developer pulled from the App Store - as in you can no longer buy the software from the App Store.

If I wipe and reload, will I be unable to re-download that software that I purchased earlier but the developer pulled from the App Store?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

Generally unless the software contained malware, Apple will keep the software up in your Purchased tab so you can re-download - at least that's how it works in iOS. You can always back up the .app file if you're worried.

Cool. I've also heard on iOS where having undocumented features would cause an app to get pulled, like a flashlight app with a hidden tethering program (years back). Thanks Pivo!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm just hoping I didn't end up getting my Mac hacked from that security update I had to do manually. I've been thinking about doing a wipe and re-install in case.

It's not easy to make a counterfeit certificate with the same SHA number thingy is it? This is pretty complicated, but will OSX be able to detect if someone downloads a fake or tampered-with update and refuse to install it? (I believe iOS works this way and is part of what makes jailbreakjng challenging.)

This is what I'm talking about : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202369

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 7, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

What loving site did you download from?

Here: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1891?locale=en_US

I admittedly might be too paranoid about this.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 8, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah I think you're right. I'm glad I don't work in ITSec.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Odd little question:

It's unlikely to get a virus from a video file (mp4, mov, mkv or whatever) on a modern Mac, right?

I'm getting video files from a friend (taken from their very old phone and burned onto a disc on their Windows 7 PC, which does have good AV installed) for editing, and I just want to be careful. I was going to scan with Clam AV anyways.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think there is also a lot of stuff in OS X that would also need to be overcome as well. So it sounds like it's not a one-shot deal like an executable file, there are multiple stars that need to be aligned for it to work.

I do get the "never say never" approach when it comes to security, but I would think this is a pretty unlikely threat vector (unless you're being targeted by someone extremely skilled like a state actor).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just noticed too that ClamXAV (antivirus scanner) has been pulled from the Mac App store. It's still updating definitions.

Do you guys have any opinions on AV software, preferably ones that are from the App store? (Trend Micro AV has a pretty good rating.)

Yeah, I am very careful if anything asks for a privilege escalation.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

You really don't want to start that slap fight here.

I gotcha... I think part of it is more if I'm dealing with files from people with PCs, and I work on the files then pass them onto other people, then it's a conduit for the virus.

I have read a little bit into the security setup of OS X, and it sounds like they put in tons of safeguards just by the architecture of the system. (Like changing address space location, not allowing data to execute as code, things like that.)

Oh, and I NEVER run as admin unless I need to.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Pivo you've always got good advice (the other people who posted here have great info too, and I really appreciate it) but your avatar always makes me smile. :)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Michael Scott posted:

How do you feel about my advice? :shobon:

Well you only have two other posts in this threads but I'll be cautiously optimistic. :kiddo:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just a quick question - my Retina MBP is currently on macOS Sierra 10.12.1. There was an update to 10.12.2 a couple days ago - was that only for newer Macs? I just want to know if I somehow broke my updates when I had to manually install that last software update...

EDIT: Nevermind it came in after I installed iTunes and rebooted. :shrug:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 17, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

~Coxy posted:

It might be a good thing that all the engineers are too busy making IOS worser so Apple doesn't have much capability to make macOS worser.

Even with the price up I am, unfortunately, feeling better every day about offloading my AAPL.

- MBPs with no ports but TB3
- MBs with wacky battery life and no "time remaining". Really Apple?
- Botching their AirPods launch
- macOS and desktops rotting on the vine
- Companies with good software fleeing the App Store

This bodes really, really poorly. I really hope I'm wrong but I really really don't like the direction it looks like things are moving.

And I absolutely don't want to go to Windows 10 either. We're entering a dark age of PCs here. Maybe the PC is going away...

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 24, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a 2013 Mac Mini that I pulled the excruticatingy slow 500GB platter drive out of and replaced with a 500GB WD Blue SSD (very fast).

I shouldn’t have an issue installing the new OS and filesystem, right? I don’t know if the Mac Mini knows it’s an SSD or platter drive. I think it does because I think TRIM is enabled.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
OK, I had something unusual happen on my Mac just now. I use Bluetooth to talk to a mouse and my AirPods.

I had a pop-up with an ID number that indicated something like "K8 V wants to connect to your computer" (I believe that's a LG K8 V, cheap Android smartphone.) I clicked on the "ignore future requests" checkmark and denied the pairing.

Question is this - if I had accepted the pairing with that phone, what is the worst that someone could do to my Mac? (I do not have ANYTHING checked in the "Sharing" preferences box, including Bluetooth Sharing. I tested it with my iPhone, and the only thing it does when I pair my phone to my Mac with Bluetooth is act as a hotspot connection. I also was not logged in as an administrator at the time. It's really strange because I can sort of connect my iPhone to my mac using bluetooth but it doesn't appear to do anything. That device that tried to connect was denied and doesn't show up in my list of stuff in the Bluetooth menu.

Maybe someone at my apartment complex was messing around with their phone and fat-fingered something and tried to connect their phone to my Mac?

ADDENDUM: I noticed (alt-clicking on the bluetooth icon) that my Mac is not discoverable... as long as the bluetooth preferences screen is off. I think what happened was I was fooling around connecting to my AirPods, opened the bluetooth screen, and left it open in the background. So that's how I think my Mac was observed/discovered.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 26, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have occasionally seen other people’s bluetooth devices wanting to pair like speakers and audio systems.

There were multiple occasions when I was seriously tempted to pair with them and start blasting this over their speakers:
https://youtu.be/MVQkfMjC_GI

Nothing obscene but would still elicit a bit of a “WTF” response. :kiddo:

So basically they didn’t hack my Mac, right? I have heard of occasions where you get pairing request even if you are currently in a not discoverable mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

FCKGW posted:

Not sure if you would need to specifically allow this action, but they could siphon off your contacts and photos.

I think that in the past when I had a device that wanted access to say contacts it would pop up a message on my phone explicitly asking if it was OK to share that with the bluetooth device in question, a car.