Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You can zoom in Safari like in iOS, and there's spell check/correction to boot! Jeez, I would've paid 20-30 bucks for that alone!

It sucks that they scrapped my custom wallpaper, though. Any way to get it back? I don't remember where I got it from and I don't know where I saved it on my computer if even that :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Mo0 posted:

The ability to peek at the page that I came from in Safari is making me all giddy for no reasonable reason.

What do you mean by that?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Mo0 posted:

Here, this is what I mean:

Oops that was huge, link to full-size in case the timg expander thing isn't working.

lol timg gets autocorrected to "time", now we'll never escape autocorrect typos.

HOLY FUCKBALLS. I used to do three finger swipes for that (sans the preview of course) and thought I'd have to get used to hitting the button up top again to go back and then you show me this gem. This rules. As does the three finger dictionary and being able to edit the system preferences and everything else.

I think I might have to get a Magic Trackpad for my iMac now and mothball the Magic Mouse. I've just tried Lion on my Air (don't have access to the iMac right now) and can't imagine using OSX any other way anymore. How's the experience for the Magic Mouse users out there so far? Gestures must be a bitch.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Auriak posted:

Anyone noticed some pretty drastic battery life decreases since upgrading to Lion? My 2011 MBP is running pretty hot and the battery life seems to have halved.

Me too, mid-2009 MBA. Things run a teensy bit sluggish too, sometimes, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the lost battery life. Maybe I even just need to recalibrate the battery.

Either way I'll probably be getting one of the new Airs as soon as I have the money.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 23, 2011

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Accipiter posted:

The first few Leopard releases were hard on the battery too. 10.7.1 will have a poo poo ton of fixes, likely including some for optimized battery life.

I sure hope that's the case. I kept hearing around these parts that OS upgrades actually make better use of older hardware, and this - coupled with the slight performance problems and that the guy with the Mr Tingle avatar says white plastic Macs don't take the upgrade well - makes a good case against it. But yeah, in general, the improvements are certainly worth the bit of sluggishness and if that's gone with the next few patches, that's just an added bonus.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Have you tried f.lux? It might just be what you need. (it doesn't change wallpapers though, just regulates the temperature of the screen's lighting or whatever, I'm not good at explaining this)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Crossposting from the iPhone thread since it seems to be more of a general iCloud problem:

I changed my password on Monday, but iCloud didn't accept it on my iPhone and iMac, leading to more password changes to make sure I didn't mistype it, and then I decided to leave it alone. Later that day, I try the old password I had before the first change again, and it works. I can access all iCloud services on my iPhone and iMac, but iMessage isn't working on my iPad.

So today I try to log out and log back in on the iPad and now it won't accept any passwords, old or new. I try the same for iCloud.com, going as far as copy & pasting my password from the Keychain on my iMac, but nope. Meanwhile, on my iPhone and iMac, all iCloud services continue to be functional. I'm obviously not doing the log-out-log-back-in spiel on the working devices, and password resets didn't help when I tried them on Monday... so what are my options? Is this normal? Shouldn't password resets at least disable the old password?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, that happened to me too, I couldn't access the data I had stored there, WiFi reboot fixed it, also Time Machine didn't work. It sorta fixed itself but now the WiFi symbol is doing this pulsing animation it does when it looks for a WiFi connection despite still being connected to the internet. No idea. I'm gonna update and reboot and see if that fixes it. Also the speed was terrible for a few days, affecting clients at random - iPhone, MacBook, and my dad's Windows laptop when he was visiting - full signal strength though.

It's a Time Capsule 2 TB if it matters.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

tuyop posted:

Scrivener really sounds like a good solution since you can import Evernote notes pretty easily,

How, besides copy & paste? Or is that what you meant? A script or plugin or something would be neat.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Have you tried opening the shortcut preferences and/or logging in and out of iCloud on each device? I think that fixed it for me when it happened on my devices.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Is it possible to use Office 365's Outlook with iCloud calendar? A google search suggests it's possible but dumb. I like Outlook on iOS (and iCloud calendar works fine there) but it doesn't seem to work with the macOS version of Outlook.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Last Chance posted:

iCloud calendar just uses IMAP I think, did you do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2648915

?

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. However, the article clarifies that Outlook Mac doesn't support iCloud calendar so thanks for that link anyway! :)

Pity.

quote:

Outlook for Mac does not support Apple iCloud calendar (CalDAV) and contact (CardDAV) synchronization.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Is there any way to make Word 365 show the character count permanently? It's driving me nuts. The word count is there but you can't switch it to characters like with Pages.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

2016 I've got through work. I'll copy something in Word or Outlook, the 'Edit' on the top bar will do its little flash but when I go to paste it nothing appears, or worse still something weird I was posting on SA from before gets pasted in.

Bit late, but I have the same problem. Office 365 subscription. One time copy & paste completely refused to work, reboot fixed it. It will occasionally happen again but get back to working on the third or fourth attempt. Really infuriating.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

What's the best way to share an iCloud calendar but not show any information except the scheduled times? Like I wanna share my work calendar with someone outside of work but not show which clients I'm meeting.

We're both in the iCloud ecosystem but it seems the only solution is to use Google Calendar, which seems to have those options...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

iCloud doesn't seem to have permissions other than View/Edit or just View for published calendars. What you want is to publish a Free/Busy Calendar from Outlook or Google, optimally to WebDAV or something, and the recipient can then add it as a subscribed calendar (read-only). I can't think of a way to do this with your existing iCloud calendar, short of writing a script to regularly dump your calendar, strip it of details, and publish it to WebDAV. It'd be an interesting tool to build, very niche though.

Thanks! Guess I'll have to look into Google Calendar.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I just installed it and it seems neat enough, thanks for the recommendation. Isn’t Safari blocking tracking on its own now anyway?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Wipr is cool and seems to block YouTube ads yeah, haven’t seen any so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah but why would you ever need to migrate if you’re 💯% committed to the ecosystem? It‘s free, well integrated and gets better over the years.

(I get needing other managers for if you use Windows/Android/non-Safari browsers, just saying)