Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007
A couple of program questions if anyone has a chance.

Reeder users, is there a way to set the Readability feature to "be on by default" or "always on"? I can press the G button or do a pinch on the trackpad, but I'm lazy and want all stories to display in Readability mode.

For Outlook, Google Calendar and Facebook users, is there a calendar program out there that you use that syncs well? I've tried iCal but I have trouble getting my Facebook friends birthday list and some Google calendar subscriptions to sync. I'm looking for a calendar program similar to the default calendar app I have on my Droid, which syncs all three calendar's with no difficulty. Is there a similar program on the Mac? Or am I just missing some settings in my iCal app?

And on that subject, is there a guide (that someone could link me) or a program that will take my Facebook contact info and convert it into an Apple Address Book or Google contacts file? I'd like to have that information stored locally, and maybe be able to import it into Google+.

Thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007

qbert posted:

Forgive me if this question's already been asked, but I tried Googling the answer and had no luck. I just set up my Gmail account in the Mac Mail app. In the mailbox list on the left, under the Mailboxes category, it shows my Gmail account under Inbox.

Further down, below Reminders, it shows my Gmail account as its own category and under that is a 'Gmail' folder. When a new email comes in, it marks the number of unread messages next to both the Inbox under Mailboxes and the Gmail folder under my account category.

Is there any way I can set it so that it stops showing unread messages in the Gmail folder? Right now I have to read the message from the Inbox, and then select the Gmail folder and do "mark all as read".

This isn't a fix for your problem necessarily but I spent about a week working on integrating my gmail account into my Apple Mail program. After experiencing the same problems you have (and not finding a suitable fix) I decided to give Sparrow a try, and it's awesome for gmail (especially the conversation tracking). The program's on the app store, a free version that is ad-supported and $10 for the ad-free version. Now I just use Apple's mail app with my Exchange account from work, and Apple mail handles that pretty flawlessly.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007
I'm going to do an opti-bay upgrade in the near future and I'm planning on moving my SSD to the opti-bay and putting my original platter drive back in the normal drive bay. Currently I just have an SSD in the primary drive bay and my DVD-ROM where the opti-bay's going to go. I mainly want to do this to take advantage of the drop sensors in the primary bay.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea, or will there be any headaches using an opti-bay drive as a primary drive? Using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro running 10.7.1.