Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

There's also http://opensource.apple.com/ for some of the source if you're interested in that level of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you're using Lion you can also enable hidpi mode. (System Preferences -> Displays -> Pick something that says "HiDPI") It'll only be available if your monitor's got a high enough resolution to start with.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Jolan posted:

I searched around and found that HiDPI might be available after installing dev tools, so I got XCode but it didn't change anything. Are there any such tools you've got installed?

I do have xcode installed but I guess this came from installing 10.7.3 from scratch on a 2010 mac mini. It actually defaulted to hidpi 960x600.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

evil_bunnY posted:

I think there was a Fusion update to fix W8.

There's the tech preview http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012 of the next versions of Fusion/Workstations which are supposed to support W8. If you want the Windows 8 Release Preview to work with Fusion 4.1.2 you can add the following line to your .vmx file and it should fix it. (It worked for me)

code:
vmGenCounter.enable = "FALSE"

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

echobucket posted:

Hey, with all this hubbub from developers about the Sandboxing requirements for the Mac App Store, why are my iWork apps not sandboxed? Is it because I have them from a disc and not from the App Store? Can anyone with iWork from the App Store check them in Activity Monitor and see if they are sandboxed. If not, I think Apple is being a bit hypocritical..

Without some OS hacks or getting a developer certificate and resigning it yourself, I think you actually have to install them from the app store to get them sandboxed. I tried to find a reference for this distant memory of mine but I couldn't so I might be wrong. They themselves certainly don't have to play by the rules when distributing things like OS updates or Xcode through the app store. I'd be surprised if they didn't sandbox the iWork apps soon though, because if they're arguing it's for security then I'd expect iWork would benefit from that too.

It looks like developers will have a Mac App Store alternative soon courtesy of Valve: http://store.steampowered.com/news/8584/

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Experto Crede posted:

You can't really blame them on iWork not being sandboxed. It's highly likely that iWork '12 is nearing completion, and as such using up resources to sandbox the soon to be outdated version seems somewhat redundant.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. There are also still lots of apps in the app store that haven't been sandboxed yet.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Lexicon posted:

I do use 1Password with the file stored in Dropbox. I'm reaching a bit here, but is it possible the number was leaked through this or some other vector like a misbehaving browser extension?

Do you have the master password enabled on this? I believe you have to if you want it encrypted. Source: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/change_master_password.html

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

NESguerilla posted:

I synched a PS3 controller to my iMac and it won't turn off (which prevents my computer from going int sleep mode) unless I manually turn it off on system prefs. Is there an easier way to do this? Is there some way I can just turn off the controller?

Pretty sure you can just hold the centre button for 10-15 seconds and the controller will turn off, though I'm not sure this will fix your sleep problem.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

TheState posted:

Ok, so I have a Mac Pro running Mountain Lion. It has four hard drives. I have FileVault turned on for the startup drive, but I don't see an option to turn it on for the other three. Is there a way to do that, or do I need to get an encrypting software?

You can repartition those drives with disk utility, and pick one of the encrypted filesystems. I don't know if there's a way to do this without wiping the drive.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The XTS mode that file system level encryption systems usually use is not always ideal. It's fine to use FileVault or truecrypt or whatever, but if you want to add a layer on top of that and encrypt individual files it's probably best to use something designed for that purpose. http://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/04/30/you-dont-want-xts/

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any way to disable OS X killing Wi-Fi when it "detects" that it may be compromised? It frequently (and only ever) happens to me while I'm streaming video and sometimes it kills my Wi-Fi for a couple of minutes and sometimes it doesn't. I'm pretty sure my Wi-Fi isn't being hacked.

Pretty sure?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I was curious to know what's going on here and how OS X is detecting this because I've never seen this feature before. Looking around online it seems like it's a TKIP integrity failure. You should actually disable TKIP on your router if you control it because there are now practical attacks on TKIP. It's probably just from the traffic volume and a bad signal. Forcing AES might solve this.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

What kind of router do you have?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

On the admin page for the router, go to the wireless tab. From there, pick WPA2 personal for the security mode, then pick AES for encryption. Found this on page 15 of the manual if you have that.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Can someone point me to a downloadable image for osX 10.5 that I can burn to disc? I know that I can buy them, but the laptop is almost 10 years old and I dont want to invest any money in getting it going if at all possible. Thanks.

I can't give you a link as it's :filez:, but if you have any friends who have apple developer accounts they should be able to download an iso or dmg for you.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Apple have a page documenting local backups which I think is what you're seeing.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The price of the 1pw subscription seems ridiculous to me based on what you're getting from it. It can't possibly cost nearly that much for the storage needed for even hundreds of passwords.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Zuck only wants to be President so he can finally get the personal information of everyone in the country who isn't on Facebook.

He's already pretty much got this through the information he's collected on their friends and acquaintances. Only isolated cells that don't use Facebook or web browsers or apps would be immune from this.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I haven't tried yet but maybe you can grab the updates manually? https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Update-history-for-Office-2016-for-Mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Also uMatrix.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

VMWare in 10.13 has been incredibly buggy for me. I’m close to just carrying around multiple laptops.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I’d argue that it’s good to use an ad blocker such as ublock origin (and umatrix if you understand how it works). Antivirus software is probably not so useful unless you’re downloading lots of windows software from sketchy places on the internet.

Edit: in my experience the workplaces that require AV have the worst security.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh I know. I’m sympathetic to that, but I think there are better ways to achieve what those certs are going for.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

There’s also an unpatched kernel exploit in the wild that works on 10.12 as an unprivileged user. It doesn’t work as of 10.13.2.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sad Panda posted:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's just to go and post this in the Pi thread.

Probably best to ask the Pi thread, but I’d suggest connecting as the “pi” user instead of guest.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Control-Command-Q

Edit: careful not to do Shift-Command-Q because that’s log off.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

No just reinstall. There’s no reason to decrypt it first. Boot into recovery or using a USB stick, open disk utility, format it HFS+, and install. If you have issues with disk utility you might need to go to the command line and use diskutil to get it going again.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m pretty sure I’ve broken every EULA I’ve ever agreed to.

E: I’ve also never read a EULA, but I assume I’m breaking them somehow.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah Apple only seem to care if you’re making money off of it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/8.0/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-474FC78E-4E77-42B7-A1C6-12C2F378C5B9.html

You need to find a copy of 10.6 server. Before 10.7 only server could be virtualized (legally). I’m assuming the server version supported Rosetta, but I couldn’t determine that for sure.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It was optional in 10.6. http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/snow_leopard_installing_rosetta

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Binary Badger posted:

Gotta set up every machine with an admin account, THEN boot with command-R, launch Startup Security Utility, set Secure Boot to No Security, THEN you can boot off of a flash key or USB/T-bolt drive / NetBoot volume.

Sounds like this isn’t the intended approach to managing macs.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

redeyes posted:

That happens almost never. My only point is make it a 'pro' setting in System Prefs or something, not a user default.

It should be secure by default. It’s not just about situations such as identity theft. There’s also the issues of privacy (think of access to personal photos), domestic abuse(spying), patient data kept on personal laptops, corporate espionage, etc. That stuff happens a lot when you’re selling millions and millions of machines. If it’s secure by default then in many of those cases the data will remain secure despite the the theft. If Apple develop a reputation for being reasonably secure compared to the alternatives that can translate into many more sales, regardless of whether it’s easy to deploy their machines in the same way we deployed machines in 2002.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

This is a really tiresome answer for a general purpose computing manufacturer. I love most of my Apple poo poo but it seems to come up over and over again in these threads.

I don’t think Apple see themselves as a general purpose computing manufacturer. At least not in the way most of us would usually use the phrase.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You could open it up, find the 2.4 antenna and rip it out.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

People still use java?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The only way I’ve found to get that prompt to come up again is to uninstall and then reinstall the software, being careful to ensure I click the notification. It seems a bit buggy even then.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah but if you leave it for long enough it disappears and doesn’t come back until you reinstall.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Theophany posted:

Yo I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1080Ti - an EVGA Superclocked Black Turbo whatever the gently caress appeals to basement dwellers edition.

As far as I can tell from the EK Waterblocks configurator, it's a reference design card, but if it isn't, how terrible are the nVidia web drivers gonna be? Nobody at MacRumors seems to have tried non-reference PCBs.

You don’t just install the drivers. I’m a little out of date on this but last I heard you had to disable SIP and patch a kernel extension or two to get Nvidia cards working. (Maybe that was just for eGPUs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh I guess it is just for eGPU then