Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Crush posted:

Does Lion fullscreen still act strange with multiple monitors?

If by strangely you mean it ignores the secondary monitor and is essentially useless, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

Using Dock Dodger can circumvent this. There's some stupid three finger swipe CMD+Tab method too but sod doing that every time.

I'm not sure what you mean. The problem is that when you make an app fullscreen, it dominates the primary monitor and there's nothing you can do to make use of the second monitor. You can't drag windows onto it, you can't make a second app fullscreen in that space, it's honestly such a half-assed implementation. How does removing an application's dock icon work around that? That would be so fantastic.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

I don't have a second monitor to test myself, but I'd assume that preventing the app from being part of the Dock means that when it's fullscreened, it isn't affecting Mission Control in the same way? It was recommended to me by a friend, so perhaps give it a try.

Here we go:

Or you can do this funky business:
http://geetduggal.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/reclaiming-your-second-monitor-in-os-x-lion/

Haha, I love that second workaround. Thanks for the knowledge bomb! Learn something new every day.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I bought a license for Snowtape because I wanted to record my college radio's webcast, but because of the incompetence of how the stream is set up it doesn't work very well. Snowtape won't make one nice recording, it splits it up into a bunch of files with dead air and skips. Is there any good, preferably free software that I can use? It seems like something VLC could do but damned if I can figure it out at the moment. (The url is http://www.backbonehub.com/stations/fmcollege_8080.mov which seems like a pretty weird format for an audio only stream.)

If all else fails I'm just going to run the fm from my nano into my audio interface and record it with TapeDeck or something. So lame.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

wolffenstein posted:

Try Radioshift or if that doesn't work, Audio Hijack Pro probably will.

Thanks, Radioshift looks like it'll work. I wonder if there's any way I can appropriate funds from the station for the license... Probably not :(

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

jerman999 posted:

Just switched to Mac - running Lion on a MBA. I used PDANet on a PC for tethering with my phone, but there doesn't seem to be a mac version. What do I need to do to make it work??

There is a version of PDANet for Mac.

I use EasyTether because it's a little bit nicer on Mac. Instead of needing to download a client, it shows up as a network device in the OS network settings.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay I feel like I've been putting up with this too long. With Lion or the new iTunes or whatever it was, it got rid of the little arrows next to tracks. I had done the terminal tweak to make those links just take me to the artist/album in my library and basically found them invaluable and now I can't figure out how to get them back and it's slowly killing me.

e: Sorry forgot there was a separate iTunes thread

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Clank posted:

What's a good note taking application? Not just quick notes, but like school notes. Things I would like most are good organization and good formatting options.

I really like PearNote because of its audio recording feature. It'll match up what you're hearing with what you've typed. Click a certain place in your notes, and it'll seek to that portion of the audio. Has actually saved my rear end a few times.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stoat posted:

Since updating my 3rd gen iPod touch to os5, my artists list has gone haywire.

Anyone know how to get it working normally again?

No idea, but you should try the iPod Touch megathread!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SnatchRabbit posted:

I've used VisualHub to encode videos forever, but now that I actually need it for work it's gone tits up by refusing to register. I assume it's because the company that develops it is no longer around. Sucks bc VH was the best tool I ever used. Am I boned? Is there no way to register the product now that the company is defunct? I know FilmRedux is sort of the same thing but it doesnt have the options I need.

Permute's decent but not free.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I always really liked the Word Clock screensaver, stylish and functional. Didn't see they started charging $2 for it. Not sure I could ever spend money on a screensaver, nice though it is.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Haha. Fraise was actually originally forked from Smultron after the dude decided to stop working on it. Then the Mac App Store came out and the guy realized he could make a quick buck and revived Smultron.

Or that's the narrative in my head, as a I remember it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

A random comment: Remember that time Lion reversed the default scrolling direction and some people thought that was a big deal? Good times.

Haha, dealt with that two weeks ago. On my roommate's new MBP, which she had, in the initial set up, purposefully set to Italian. Somewhat proud I was able to navigate exactly to the relevant syspref.

Postal posted:

Did anyone keep theirs that way or did everyone revert back to the old style?

Actually, I reverted mine after installing Lion, and after three months or so, actually decided to go with the new paradigm. It did coincide with me updating my old blackberry to an android phone, and also I realized that the next Mac OS probably won't have it even as an option. Embrace the future, yo.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Still no iCloud support. I wonder what they're planning...

...Lackluster support and half-assed implementation?

Honestly sometimes I wish Apple would stop trying to compete with internet services. They've never done it well and it only hurts the consumer.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

iCloud works well on iOS devices. I'd say what they're planning is to bring OS X closer in parity to iOS until they're the same thing and they've fully killed the file system as we know it.

Yeah, and my point is that it's a lovely thing to do - launch a whole platform without getting your ducks in a row. Honest question: Does Apple make significant revenue on its online consumer tools? iTools, .Mac, MobileMe, iCloud, whatever the hell it is these days. I at least remember .Mac being pretty cool back before it was totally trivial to get data hosted for free/cheap online. But man, nowadays there are so many options for email, online backup, free site hosting. If Apple can't even integrate their proprietary internet crap properly between their hardware cash cows, what on earth is the point?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My main computer is an aging MacBook Pro 4,1 (early '08), 4GB of RAM. Recently I've been running into some problems - whenever I open my Pictures folder, the whole system just chugs almost to a halt. There's an audible harddrive sound, kind of a whining? The folder is only like 18GB.

Exacerbating this - I was going through iPhoto (whatever the most recent version is), and trying to go through some Events from this summer. But paging through photos, there were a few spots where if I tried to advance past, my hdd would start chugging and everything would beachball until iPhoto force closed.

It never did any of this before installing Lion in September, and I do remember some increased lagginess coinciding with that, even with a clean install. (I know that's unnecessary, but I do it any way.)

So is this just old hardware starting to show its age? Is my hard drive dying?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

CDOR Gemini posted:

This sounds pretty abnormal. I would recommend doing a backup as soon as possible.

Yeah, it actually just did it while trying to load a page in Chrome. I've been keeping regular Time Machine backups.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

yaoi prophet posted:

Wait, what do you recommend instead of Transmission?

I think utorrent is the standard now.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Download stuff

This is a different approach, and no guarantees, but try downloading and installing Speed Download. See if it works. Then use the bundled uninstaller that's supposed to get everything back to normal, then check again.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Unified notification system? I wonder if they'll make it as easy to support as growl. Could be cool.

Wait... Gatekeeper? gently caress, they're starting to turn the desktop into the iOS walled garden and they're straight up calling it Gatekeeper. gently caress you too, Apple.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

echobucket posted:

They are making it very clear that Gatekeeper puts you in control of what you install. This is great because on my parent's mac I can set it for App Store only, and on my mac I can set it for wide open.

When were you not in control :psyduck:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My issue is that I don't see this as a real problem that they're trying to solve. It's a calculated step towards transitioning users to their iOS paradigm.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

echobucket posted:

They are getting out ahead of the malware on Mac OS X problem. God if only Windows had something like this.

I'm not buying the malware argument, really. There's a few reasons why Windows struggles with it more than OS X, and being able to freely install things at the user's whim is not really public enemy one.

Or look at Android - sure it's got the market, but it's a checkbox toggle away from being able to install anything. Despite some emerging industry reports to the contrary, Android malware still isn't really a problem, and you can't make the "small install base, small target" argument that you can for Macs.

I don't know, I get this weird feeling that in a few years Mac users will be strictly separated into Developers and Endusers. Kind of a Brave New World thing.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Eh, maybe you guys are right. I am overreacting. The developer signing thing could actually be a tremendous move, as it would eliminate some paranoia from downloading apps from independent developers unwilling to use the MAS. That could be a real boon, I look forward to reading some dev blogs when the story matures.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

unruly posted:

Developer signing is nothing new. Microsoft has been doing it for ages now, and while it does help with some of the malware, it's not a panacea. This new option in 'Gatekeeper' is really just a way to secure the system (somewhat) against users who click on "JOES lovely poo poo SHACK OF MALWARE" and get some DMG or Zip of malware. We've seen that the methods used on Windows to get users to launch poo poo is pretty much the same everywhere, this just out and out prevents app bundles from straight-up exploding without notification.

I'll admit to basically total ignorance in terms of how MS dev signing works, but if for OS X it's tied to an Apple account, wouldn't that make it more unlikely for it to be misused? Even if Apple doesn't require serious verification, it should be easy to trace/blacklist stuff as it goes through their system.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if, with those gatekeeper settings, the first time you launched a non-mas, dev-signed app, it checked online (or a regularly updated local database) for the validity of the certificate. If it's flagged, it could warn the user. I don't know.

The approach Apple is taking to policing their ecosystem is interesting. On Windows, the burden is really on the user, and the best weapon is being informed of how to avoid risky behavior. Something bad happens, sure windows sucks herp derp, but it's still kind of onthe user. The way Apple is taking things out of the hands of users is - good, probably, since ideally one company can be much more effective by itself than the collective efforts of a mostly apathetic consumer base. But that's still a big responsibility, because in the future, if something goes wrong, people will blame Apple for telling them not to worry about it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Do you guys ever get this bug where if you fullscreen an HTML5 video in Safari, the video goes fullscreen but your dock remains visible?

Annoying as gently caress. 10.7.2 for the time being, but it's been there for a while now.

You don't keep your dock hidden?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Right on, fair enough. It's only an alt-cmd-d away, after all.

So when Mountain Lion comes out do we have to drop the first Mac in the thread title? I don't get why Apple is trying to debrand the "Mac" epithet. Right now it's a nice split between i-prefixed mobile devices and Mac-prefixed computers. I feel like iOS and Mac OS made a nice symmetry, it would have made way more sense to drop the X. It's not 2001 anymore.

Oh wait, except for the iMac. Goddammit none of this is consistent. What are you doing Apple

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Look Around You posted:

Well I don't think MacMac would make much sense :shobon:

Why can't it just be a "Mac"? Once upon a time, y'know... Honestly, with Jobs gone, it would be sort of a nice move - sorta show a real concern for Apple ideology? Plus it would make a bunch of sense. Mac:Mac Pro:Mac Mini::MacBook:MacBook Pro:MacBook Air.

But then, Apple has always been incredibly good at establishing really nice, consistent styleguides and then disregarding them at their whim, haha.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Any tips and tricks to switch from iPhoto '11 to Picasa? Or warnings?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a guide handy for creating a bootable usb drive from a Windows 7 iso? Every guide I can find only assumes you already have Windows.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

You can buy and download Windows 7 directly from MS here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/ Also, when you run the Boot Camp Assistant in the /Applications/Utilities folder, it will download the Windows drivers for you and allow you to burn it to a disc to finish the installation.

You have to burn a DVD of Windows to install it via BootCamp on all but the newest Macs. I know the current MBA allows you to do it from a flash drive, but I am not sure the list is much bigger than that at the moment.

I bought Windows 7 ages ago when they were selling it for $30 to students, and kept the iso they gave me then on an external drive, so no worries there.

Also I found instructions to make Boot Camp let you make a USB drive.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/28321/create-windows-7-installation-disk-option

Let's see how it works!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hmm, interesting. Trying to boot camp from a flash drive and on rebooting from the helper, it's just been a grey screen which switches randomly between the apple logo, the prohibited circle, folder with a question mark, and blank. Letting it sit for a while, but I suspect nothing is happening.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are there any good RSS readers anymore? NetNewsWire hasn't been updated since, what, September? Last time I used Gruml it was unstable as all get out and also hasn't been updated since October. Google Reader syncing a must, free would be preferable but I could a little money if it's really good.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

chutwig posted:

Reeder is... okay. It also does not seem to get updated often and I really wish it had NNW's option to not load plugins in embedded browser views, but it's adequate.

Is it necessary to change readers just because NNW hasn't been updated in a while, though? As long as it still syncs with Google Reader, you should be good, right?

Yeah, it's just that they've been promising an updated version was right around the corner since December, and the GReader integration is...functional but very barebones.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been having sleep problems with my 08 MBP ever since I went the optibay route. If I actually close it, after a few seconds the fans start going full blast, and I can't wake the thing up again, I just have to restart it. What's the deal?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

Try this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

No luck, sadly. Weirdly I just noticed that the sleep light doesn't pulse. When the screen is open it dims, but is still on. Close it and brightens up but stays that way.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Crucial M4 SSD, I forget what the HDD is but it's whatever Apple uses themselves.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

On those "dark days" I use splashtop streamer on the mac, and the desktop viewer on Windows and it gets the job done. I can also access it nicely from my tablet anywhere with internet, which is nice for some quick remote access. (android app costs :10bux: or something)

I've messed around with VNC a bunch on Macs over the years and was just blown away by SplashTop the very first time I used it. I got the tablet app for free from Amazon, and since using it I've been really tempted to try to sell my MBP, buy a mini, and just use my tablet as a Mac whenever I need to.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hope I can get a little bit of help here... I need to temporarily spoof my MBP's MAC address to get the network to recognize my Roku box. I followed this site and used this:
code:
sudo ifconfig en1 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
However, it's just not changing. I am trying to change the wireless address, but although that website says to try using Wi-Fi instead of ether in the terminal command, it calls it a bad value. How can I make this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

decypher posted:

You're using the x's?

I don't think x is hexadecimal. :P Try something else, like 65-F4-F5-27-83-EA, instead of x's? Or randomly generate your own: http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Test_MAC_Address_Generator.php

edit: are you getting error messages?
have your tried replacing ether with Wi-Fi: sudo ifconfig en1 Wi-Fi MAC
you're disconnected from the network when you're doing this right?

No, I'm not putting Xes - I'm putting the MAC address of my Roku box in, haha. I tried substituting Wi-Fi in but it gave me an error of "Bad Value." Otherwise, no errors pop up. I tried doing it, then restarting Wi-Fi and it still didn't work.

Related question: if I wanted to stream video from my MBP to a Roku box, is there a good solution for that?

Oh, I didn't mention, this is all under Lion.