Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I did some searching in the thread for this issue, but since it is such a small sample group with this issue I haven't found much here or in the Apple Support Discussion.

The issue deals with iChat 6.0.1 (on 10.7.2) being able to video chat with PC AIM users (~version 7 - 7.5).

iChat to iChat works
AIM PC to AIM PC works

But trying to do iChat to AIM PC or AIM PC to iChat the video call on the iChat side just says the person has declined the invite and on the AIM PC side it just says the invite timed out.

This was on a client's site but has been reproduced on other systems in my office.
I have:

- Turned SSL off on the Mac
- Opened the firewall on both machines
- Turned off "Allow AOL to relay video chats"

Nothing I have done changes this. Same exact results.

Has anyone else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

fleshweasel posted:

Honest to gently caress, I'd love to understand what it is about ECC RAM and Xeons that makes people stick to their 5-years-discontinued Mac Pros. I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't get whatever cash for it you can right now and use it toward a new iMac.

Most of the time those people have very specific needs and a certain version of a program that may not or cannot update based on some reason or hardware. Once you have the super expensive cards and software and it Just loving Works (tm) you don't really want to do anything to change that unless you shell out for the specific program update and needs OSX 10.X Snow Gopher. And reselling a Mac Pro is not like reselling an MBP. Very small market and most will just buy new when they have the cash.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

fleshweasel posted:

which pretty well contradicts concerns about support for new OSes.

Not unless an update to the program with a new wizbang thing is only supported by the latest and greatest OS which happens pretty frequently, unless you are talking Adobe. And you don't want to invest in a brand new machine by that time, which could be years later.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Holy poo poo VISE X still exists? :psyduck:

Well at least is still used. I remember some printer drivers which would work in 10.7 if you took the extracted file and used that as the driver. But the installer was still PPC code so it wouldn't open. WTF Samsung.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Binary Badger posted:

From the who the eff cares department:

Intuit finally released Quicken 2007 for Lion the other day.

Wow, I'm betting everyone is just going to drop Mint or whatever to go back to a 5 year old accounting program.

Edit: er, never mind, it appears that people WANTED the old version of Quicken updated for Lion because transaction entry is quicker/easier, Quicken 2007 had better / more flexible report generation, and overall is free of the new feature dickery later versions were stuffed full of, including the current Quicken Essentials for Mac.

I just love that a 5 year old program is their crowning achievement. And minus essentials, it is their only foray into the greater Mac omniverse. Although now they also own Mint, so they got them at both ends.

Edit: Binary Badger, where did your avatar go? I miss the little elf.

ptier fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 9, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Having purchased it, iNet doesn't really do that.

Also this is like the 4th time I've mentioned it in this thread in recent weeks, but

That's what you want. NetSpot looks decent too, but I haven't tried it.

I *just* bought this, and yes, best ever. Also hurray for the Mac App store and the record time it took to get that installed and running.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm wanting to install an 80GB SSD in my 2011 mac mini. Instead of starting from scratch with a new OS install, I'd like to clone the existing system drive to the SSD. The original system drive is 500GB.

I know I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything over, but do I need to partition the 500GB first? and if so, whats the the best way of doing that without losing all of my data?

Every time I have done that the drive ends up being really slow / boot slow because of how the drives handle blocks I think.

Then I would do it from scratch and it would be awesome. Those have been my experiences with Intel and Crucial SSDs.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

jwoven posted:

:(

Whenever I try to VNC from my pc to my mac, I get to the login screen, which won't accept any keyboard input or mouse clicks.

Which version of 10.7 are you running? I ran into that but it was fixed by 10.7.3

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Binary Badger posted:

Adobe recently released PhotoShop CS6 beta, right?

The system requirements say you must be running a minimum of 10.6.8, have at least 1 GB RAM, and here's the stickler- you must have a minimum of 512MB VRAM.

So basically Adobe just gave both middle fingers up to all Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and 21.5 inch Late 2011 iMac users. Because, guess what.. none of these can ever be upgraded to more what they currently have, which is either 256 / 384 MB of non-dedicated VRAM to boot.

Oh, sure, they have the option to just stick with Creative Suite 5.x which only needs 256 MB VRAM, but I can see a lot of Mac laptop owners getting PO'ed about Adobe dropping support in their latest and greatest software for their particular machine.

I wonder if that is just for the Beta, and after they tweak it, the requirements will come down. Otherwise I know a bunch of clients that are going to have a poo poo fit.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

butts! posted:

Now that Samba support is dropped, is there a way to change your Windows password on the Mac end of things?

Not on a domain I suppose?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

butts! posted:

I am, actually.

If you are logged into the machine with the username and passoword that you want to reset, you can do it though System Prefs like you would reset your password on a non-domained mac.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

flavor posted:

Ever heard of priorities? I would think that probably 2% of Mac users, if that, use two or more displays on a regular basis. And when they do, chances are that at least one of the two or more displays is not 1280x800 or something similar where full screen versus maximized really makes a major difference. The problem doesn't exist if you just run maximized.

I wouldn't get all riled up about a niche issue that has a workaround.

Seriously, just install the tool that enables the windows 7 snap to full screen and you're done.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Blackdawgg posted:

I just purchased a late 2008 Macbook for a pretty good price. It has a C2D 2.4, 2GB and the 9400M. Right now it's running 10.5.8 boooo which means I can't really install anything since I have no app store. I ordered Snow Leopard from Apple. Wish I could just download and stick it on a thumb drive.

Is there any reason to not just skip Lion and wait for Mountain Lion after upgrading to Snow Leopard? This macbook meets the requirements for Mountain Lion and I've ordered some ram to bring it up to 6GB.

Nope, especially since July you can get Mountain Lion for $20 coming from SL. If you realllly need it then yes, but otherwise heck no.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

flyboi posted:

Too bad full screen is still useless on multi-monitor setups.

BetterSnapTool. Done.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
I have found a similar question asked over a year ago on the Apple StackExchage site but it is slightly different. Gray file in finder. Also found this before the stack exchange question from the Penn State MacAdmins. While they did find out what was occurring:

Problem Sum Up posted:

Some files on an SMB share that is using DFS will have it's creation date changed to something very old (1940's) and because of the creation date, Finder will gray the files out and will not allow the files to be opened. This is not an issue on Windows machines as they don't care about the file creation date in the same way.

I am trying to figure out the why, as I have a 2 Server 2008 R2 setup using DFS and on one server (we will name server 1), but not the other, we have a user finding certain files and folders that he works on having the same issues of grayed out items with the creation date in the 1940's. When he connects to Server 2 none of these issues crop up, but on Server 1 the issue reoccurs with some regularity. If I change the creation date using a tool to something more current, the file is immediately un-grayed and accessible.

Server 1 is in the same building as the user. A small number (2-3) of mac users connect to server 1

Server 2 is over a MPLS VPN connection, hence the reason for DFS.

A large (10-15) connect to server 2

I cannot find any DFS logs that note the files being updated: This is because DFS doesn't update a file based on date metadata

The user is using 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. Other users are a mix of 10.6.8 and 10.7.4

Let me know if I need to take this to the windows guys.

Thanks.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Frozen-Solid posted:

I finally got around to installing OS X Lion on my Mac Mini. Unfortunately it's got a pretty deal breaking problems: I can no longer VNC into it. I've tried both Remote Management and Screen Sharing, and neither will work. I've tried several VNC clients for Windows and nothing works.

Basically what happens is rather than getting the session that I am currently logged into, VNC takes me to what looks like the normal Mac login page. It shows my user icon and has a password field, but I can't type or click on anything. A few times I've gotten it to show characters typed into the password field, but pressing enter or clicking on the -> arrow to login do nothing.

Did Apple really manage to gently caress up VNC, or am I somehow doing something wrong? I've never had a problem on Snow Leopard and I use VNC pretty much every day.

Pretty much. If you use Screen Sharing it works fine. I have found that when we try to connect with our VNC implementation the same issue occurs.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mountain Lion could almost be a 10.7.x release; it changes so little. Don't bother with a clean install.

Safari going to omni-box is itself worth the price of admission.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
So after updating my rMBP and installing the update to the SMC, this thing is singing. Sleep resume is amazing. Airplay was working great streaming from the network to my Apple TV. Doing well I would say.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm trying to figure out wtf I need to give Apple for them to give me my stupid code for my rMBP I ordered online. First time I took a picture of the label on the box (horizontally flipped given I took it with the webcam) and they responded with: "Receipt was not provided"

So I got the e-mail invoice of my order, printed to a PDF, and converted that to a PNG. Now I get an e-mail (within several hours) "Receipt does not indicate product was paid for and received."

Just a word of warning for anyone else going back and forth with Apple. I normally don't need to get in touch with support, but this is just a headscratcher here.

What country are you in? I'm in USA and all I had to do for my rMBP was give the purchase date (June 11) and the serial number.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

scottus posted:

I was pretty excited for Airplay Mirroring to the Apple TV in the living room, but my Apple TV isn't showing up as a detected device. Do I have to have a certain minimum generation of ATV?

Also, 2 more things. I'm getting a "Mount Notification has quit unexpectedly" thing every time I start up since I updated to ML. And also, having an iMessage show up on both my computer and iPhone is a bit annoying. If I have a Messages window open, how about iMessages don't show up on my phone :colbert:

If you have the black puck ATV check for an update, mine needed one before it started to show up in AirPlay Mirroring.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

unruly posted:

(I'm a web guy, so I'm not sure how DFS works, specifically)

Know how they say sync is hard. It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

unruly posted:

Yeah, I know sync is hard. It's hard regardless of what you're doing. I have a little experience with DFS, but I'm not sure if I need to be domain joined to access that information, or if it's published like any other SMB service.

Sorry if I was crpytic. It mounts like any other SMB share no problem. I meant to finish that statement as "And Microsoft hosed it up", but that is a whole other discussion completely different from this one. You should just need your domain credentials to be an authenticated user and go to down. However, you may need to use the IP and not the UNC path (\DFS_SERVER\files) because if they did or didn't do a .local for the domain, hostname look up gets weird with a non-domained join mac.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 19, 2012