Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

grvm posted:

Also, I can't get back my three finger gestures for forward/backward in chrome or safari. Anything I'm missing?
If you set Swipe between pages to "Swipe with two or three fingers" in the Trackpad setting, then 3-finger swipes should work in Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Hey guys, guess what! Thanks to text substitution and the new emoji support I now have this. :smug:

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Anyone noticed some pretty drastic battery life decreases since upgrading to Lion? My 2011 MBP is running pretty hot and the battery life seems to have halved.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

Petey posted:

Does Quicktime Player 7 still exist / work in Lion?

There is a post on MacWorld that details how to get Quicktime 7 Pro working with Lion.
http://www.macworld.com/article/161320/2011/07/lion_quicktime7.html#lsrc.rss_main

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

mllaneza posted:

In other words, don't overwrite the OS version of anything, it'll get clobbered during a system update and no one will have any sympathy for you.

I apologize in advance for my noobness, but I am trying to learn my way around Python. I took this advice and installed my own copy of Python 2.7, however when I execute Python from Terminal it appears to be running the version that came pre-installed with OS X. How do I get Terminal to use my version so that I can install Django and whatnot?

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Thanks guys, that seems to have worked!

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

Strangelet Wave posted:

Okay, I've got probably the nitpickiest problem ever with Dashboard, but here goes:

Here's my dashboard, with a nice big web clip of the Weather Underground radar map. Pretty.

When I go to Mission Control, however, the little thumbnail for Dashboard shows an empty clip. Very rarely, the thumbnail will display correctly, but for the life of me I can't figure out what makes it work. Google is unhelpful.

I could revert to Dashboard's Snow Leopard behavior, but I kinda like having it in its own space.

How did you change your dashboard background?

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
How is this Lion not-closing-processes-thing supposed to affect battery life? When I'm not plugged in, I'm pretty anal when it comes to closing apps I'm not using.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
My LastPass subscription is about to expire in a few days. Anyone out there who has used both and call tell me how it compares to 1Password? Should I consider switching while the MAS version is half-off?

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

japtor posted:

Yeah I'm just assuming the promo pricing is essentially upgrade pricing as well, remember that you can knock off another $10 with the FUSION20 (20% off) code too.

Is this a code for 20% off of Fusion? The VMWare store didn't seem to recognize it.

Edit: Nevermind, I just figured it out. I had originally added Fusion to my cart via a promotion email they sent me. That item shows up as "VMware Fusion 4, (for Mac OS X) ESD promotion" as opposed to "VMware Fusion 4, (for Mac OS X) ESD". Once I removed it and added the regular Fusion to my cart the code worked. Thanks!

Auriak fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 16, 2011

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Edit: Nevermind, wrong thread.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 21, 2011

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Okay, Just installed 10.7.2 and signed into my iCloud account. It told me if I enabled Contacts sync through iCloud, then it would have to disable syncing contacts in my Gmail account. I clicked accept or whatever (the only option it gave me at that point) then went back into System Preferences and disabled Contacts for iCloud, however it is no longer giving me a checkbox for Contacts under Gmail. What gives? Any idea how I go about getting my gmail contacts back?

Edit: Nevermind, I realize now that the option to enable contact syncing with Gmail is inside the Address Book preferences. The option was already reenabled when I disabled contacts in iCloud.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

dexter6 posted:

I used to plug my iPhone in and import photos to iPhoto pretty regularly. With iOS 5, I'm never going to plug my phone into my iMac again, but now I'm realizing I have now way of importing stuff to iPhoto.

Any suggestions for me?
Will the iPhoto update help me at all?

I'm pretty sure this is how it works:

Today's iPhoto update includes support for iCloud's Photo Stream. Any photos you take on your iOS devices should automatically be added to your Photo Stream. When you open up iPhoto on your iMac, there will be a Photo Stream option in the left column where you will be able to see your 1000 most recent images. Drag the ones you want into your various iPhoto albums and whatnot to save them permanently.

Edit: On second thought, it looks like iPhoto automatically stores every photo in Photo Stream permanently without you manually needing to archive them by dragging them into albums.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html posted:

Master photo library. On your Mac or PC.
Keeping a complete set of your photos on your Mac is as simple as turning on Photo Stream in iPhoto or Aperture. Every new photo you take appears in a Photo Stream album just as it does on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. But since your Mac has more storage than your iOS device, it automatically imports every picture from your Photo Stream into your photo library so you can edit, delete, and share the ones you want. Want to get the photos you’ve taken on your point-and-shoot or DSLR camera into your Photo Stream to view on all your other devices? The photos you import to your library from a camera or SD card are automatically uploaded to your Photo Stream. If you have a PC, you can auto-import and upload pictures, too. Just turn on Photo Stream, grab a camera, and start shooting.

So just make sure you open up iPhoto from time to time so that it can automatically download the lastest Photo Stream photos.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 13, 2011