Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Reminder that I asked you to put GraphicConverter on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So does anyone know what's up with QT7 on Lion? I'm worried about installing now that someone else is worried. :ohdear:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So for anyone who needs QT7, an existing install of it still works fine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I've run into two annoying problems using the forums on Lion so far.

The first is that the status of threads in my user control panel doesn't update when I hit the "back" button.

The second is that text that's on the same line as an image is at the top of the image rather than the bottom.
Old:

New:

It's a bit annoying for reading LPs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Has anyone noticed weirdness with some lines on the forums that have both text and images? Sometimes the text is at the top of the image, and sometimes it's at the bottom.

however this text is on the bottom

I can't seem to figure out why it is.

EDIT: The text shows on the bottom in previews but on the top in actual posts. Odd.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 20, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ilifin posted:

This is not a Lion thing. Been like this for months.

Are you using Chrome? I've been keeping Safari updated but it didn't happen until Lion.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ilifin posted:

Yes, this is a webkit2 thing. Welcome to the revolution.

Brb gonna install firefox.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Could someone convert this chrome extension that fixes timg and this chrome extension that fixes lines with images and text on them for Safari please?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Daveh posted:

For the timg fix, install NinjaKit which lets you use user.js files in Safari.

Huh, when I try to pasting the timg script into the "new script" box it doesn't seem to do anything. If I re-open the scripts pane there's a no-title script that I can't edit. Oh, and timgs still don't work.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Now that I look at it more, I can't seem to get NinjaKit to install ANY greasemonkey userscript. Clicking the "Install" link brings up what I assume (based on the japanese text) is the NinjaKit install dialog, but then after I click the install button there, it doesn't show as a script in the "scripts" pane of NinjaKit's interface.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

satsu posted:

For what it's worth, the Japanese says "You should only install scripts from sources you trust."

Also, I have the same issue, but it looks like the script that I attempted did actually install correctly even though it doesn't appear in the list of scripts. It's a bit odd. Have you checked to see if the script is working?

The timg script is not working for me. Did you paste it in from "add script" or did you do something else?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

satsu posted:

I installed a script from userscripts.org and it seems to be working fine aside from it not being listed in the extension preferences.

I just tried to manually add the TIMG script you were having trouble with and it didn't work for me either, so I'm guessing there are major bugs related to organising and manually adding scripts. :(

That seems to be the case :( I guess I could try posting it to userscripts.org or something.

EDIT: You got the timg script to work? Huh.

EDIT2: Yay! Now I just have to fix the image/text thing.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 22, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

gregday posted:

From John SIracusa's twitter feed:

code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

Thanks.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Doesn't 3.2 not actually work with Lion? That might be a problem.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Accipiter posted:

Thank you for beating me to the punch.

Sometimes you just want to make one edit to a file and save it separate from the original. This is not some crazy unheard of bird-brained operation.

And this is just talking about Preview. What about other applications that lack both "Save As..." AND "Export..."? Like say, TextEdit for example. Here's a perfect example. Open TextEdit, create a simple document, and "Save..." it to the desktop. Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.

Pretty sure the File->Duplicate menu item will do it in TextEdit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FUSE just takes that long.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

carry on then posted:

I'm having trouble getting Perian to update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3. Every time I click check for update, it finds it, downloads it, and installs it, but the version number is always 1.2.2. This has persisted across both reinstallations and reboots. I'll give it another shot, but I think something else has to be done.

I have the same thing. Also, for some reason QTX says that mkv files must be opened in QT7.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The Perian 1.2.3 upgrade won't install properly on Lion. System Preferences gives me an error that it can't install (null) preference panes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I updated Flash and restarted Safari, and now I can't hear youtube when my headphones are selected as the sound device.

I can hear other sounds in my headphones.
I can hear youtube fine on other speakers.
Using the html5 youtube demo makes no difference, so I don't think I can blame it on flash. (Yes, I checked to make sure it actually was an html5 video and not a flash one.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

krnhotwings posted:

Has anybody been having problems with system-wide audio on Lion? I currently have Flash 10.3.183.5 installed and it seems that whenever I use flash for a while (ie. youtube,) my system's audio will eventually die out, forcing me to restart. I think it's most-precedent with Chrome and flash. My primary browser is Firefox and I don't seem to have issues with that, but occasionally I'll use flash on Chromium, which might be causing the problem. It's really annoying because Adium will hang whenever I send or receive IM's because it's trying to play the audio notifications but can't... whenever this happens, coreaudiod and Adium's CPU % will spike for a couple of seconds.

Heck, it could be Adium or Songbird causing this problem, but I honestly don't know how or when the hell this happens because I haven't determined a solid correlation yet. :(

On top of this, I also can't play video files or audio files on ANY application. I can skip around the video/song, but the progress bar will just stay where I clicked and there will be no playback. After song playing around, I came across this result:

Right now, I'm having the issue I'm describing. I tried playing audio on Songbird and no dice, but I've noticed that whenever I change my volume, the audio 'bubble' sound will lag a bit (even though the audio in my other apps aren't working.) With this in mind, I tried playing a song on Songbird immediately after changing my volume, and it worked. I then restarted Adium, and its audio is now working too! It might have to do with the audio hardware going to sleep after 1 minute.

Any ideas? I've never had this problem pre-Lion...

I've had some issues with sound (mostly involving youtube not working with a specific sound output, and a different sound output having a bunch of popping that wasn't there before). I hope there's going to be sound fixes in 10.7.1.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

krnhotwings posted:

Do you get the popping sound during audio playback or after the audio is idle for about a minute or so? I remember back in Leopard (and maybe early SL,) I had to download and install Antipop 'cause the audio would pop when anything triggered it to wake back up from idle.

While playing. It's only when I use the speakers on my ACD, and it's only since Lion.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm trying to migrate my parents' G5 to a new Mini, but the migration has stalled somehow. It's stuck with the bar almost totally full, and the time remaining has been going up for hours. It says it's copying over the Applications right now, and has been like that for the past 7 hours or so.

I'm using airport to transfer the files, which seemed like a bad idea at the time but the Firewire ports on the G5 were hosed and they didn't have a Time Machine to use.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shroud posted:

I'm using Safari (the version that comes with Lion), and all of a sudden, thumbnails here on SA aren't clickable anymore. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here's the solution.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grayham posted:

It seems that for the most part, there's a preference (hidden or not) to revert just about every Lion feature back to something more like Snow Leopard.

Except scrollbar arrows.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I think you mean iOS Desktop.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

unruly posted:

They keep having this love affair with ZFS, but apparently broke it off. I really wish they'd just finalize it and be done with it. ZFS does everything they want and more, and would be like adding a zillion new features to the OS with a minimum amount of engineering.

It's quite strange that they keep pushing forward in some areas, and then things like HFS+ are still sitting in the background, already past it's prime.

I imagine Sun getting bought by Oracle created all sorts of problems with that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

platero posted:

I'm new to using Macs, and I think I have a common problem. I'd like to be able to write to an NTFS-formatted external drive that I also use with my Linux and Windows machines. The solutions that I've seen are either sketchy, old, or commercial products.

Is there an SHSC-approved utility for this?

The "best" solution would be to use EXFAT on the disc instead. Of course, that means you have to move the data and reformat, and maybe update your Windows/Linux boxes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TheState posted:

I fully expect the answer to be "don't use Safari," but after the latest update in Lion, I've noticed that every so often it becomes impossible to highlight text after switching tabs. It won't fix itself unless I restart. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Huh, you got any addons? SIMBL? Input Managers?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm using Safari 5.1.1. Why does the youtube html5 beta say that I support WebM? Is it because of Perian?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Perian does support it, so that's most likely the culprit.

Ah, the info they had on webm indicated it wasn't supported in Safari at all.

Does youtube default to webm or h264 if both are available?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flip4Mac.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is there any way to have Natural Scrolling for my trackpads, but old-style scrolling for my mouse wheel?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Perian seems to be making the html5 youtube beta lock up Safari. Is that webm's fault?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Man, it is near impossible to find a copy of 10.5 to install on a MDD G4 :(

My local authorized Apple service provider used to give me older OSes on burned disks if I could prove I owned newer ones. I'm not sure if that's technically allowed or not.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently the Snow Leopard update hosed with Rosetta pretty bad:

Odds of Apple fixing it ever? I'd say maybe 15%.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

UnbornApple posted:

The thing that makes me sperg out the most with that is the colored lights are clearly inspired by traffic lights. So if they're showing vertically shouldn't green be on top and red at the bottom?

No.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm guessing he's angry that they're not very good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Not exactly Mac software but for use on a Mac. What's the cheapest way to legally get Windows? I bought some PC Games on sale through Steam thinking I could grab a student copy of Windows for like $60 but it is insanely expensive, like 250-400 dollars depending on the version which is way out of my price range.

I bought an "OEM System Builder Pack" from amazon for about 100 bucks.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NVM, found it in a file elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I'm messing around with pixelmator, and is it just me or is its paste behavior really bizarre? No matter where the mouse cursor is, the pasted object is at the center of the screen and not selected so I can't move it. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Found the transform tool. IMO it should be selected by default while pasting, but that's not too big a problem.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 4, 2013